Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hellojoepark
Going from Master Cleanse to Atkins

Hey all,
New to this message board. I was doing the master cleanse for 4 days and I lost 11 lbs. My wife kept complaining I had no energy so I decided to go on atkins, which I tried 10 years ago. On the 5 day, I started atkins in the evening. I continued to lose more weight. However, on Day 2 of atkins, I gained 2 lbs. Day 3, I gained another pound. And today, day 4, I gained another .5 lbs.

I am being very strict with induction. I follow Linda's Low Carb Menu and Recipes religiously and still the gain. I even worked out yesterday and still no loss. I need to fit into a suit for a wedding in 24 days and need to lose 20 lbs. Is this possible doing induction (staying under 20 grams of carbs but no caloric limit) and working out?

I need help!

Joe
hellojoepark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
in general I found Linda's recipes too high calorie for regular use, especially for induction, especially when you want to lose fast. not sure which you mean, but I recommend eating much less and plainer food.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
What do you mean by "no caloric limit"? Even Atkins says you can't eat a stick of butter a day and expect to lose...
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
I've found Linda's Low Carb recipes to have too much dairy for me. Cream cheese stalls me. She's fine for every now and then, later on, but I wouldn't use her recipes for induction.

Can you get your hands on an Atkins book and try simplifying your meals? I think you'll be happier with the results. ((hugs))
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Ravenrose, can you give examples of simple food? I've been using her recipes but think I can probably lose more if I ate more simple food. Can you give an example of a menu?
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Sample of simple:

Breakfast:
3 scrambled eggs, made with 2-3 pats of real butter.
Cheese on top of eggs if not having too much dairy later in day.
Bacon if still hungry.

Coffee: 1 spoon of heavy whipping cream, 1 pat of butter, Liquid Splenda (I think they may sell some here on this site.) Then I run mine in the blender with the top on. It makes it foamy.

Lunch:
Baked chicken, eating skin, dark meat preferable.
Serving of broccoli or asparagus.
Either butter on the chicken or put on veggies.

Snack: Homemade Deviled Egg (Duke's Mayo doesn't have sugar in it.)

Dinner:
Steak, eating all the fat, with butter on top or maybe Ground beef patty wrapped in a large lettuce leaf. I like mine with mayo and mustard. (Ketchup has sugar -- I just don't use it anymore at all.)
Or baked fish, with butter. I like Talapia, I put butter, parmesan, and garlic powder on mine and bake.
with Small green salad, homemade sugar free dressing, topped with parmesan or cheddar (if you haven't already had too much dairy that day.)

How's that? Avoiding Frankenfoods and making most everything yourself will help.

Deviled Eggs are great for induction and to stomp out any cravings -- just find mayo without sugar. Yum!
Cheese sticks are helpful, try to find some that aren't low fat.
Bacon can be made ahead and brought with you in a zip baggie.

I'd try to avoid cream cheese during induction, if you can. It stalls a lot of people. (Linda's recipes use it a lot.)

You should eat until satisfied, but try not to eat PAST that. It's a high fat plan, so you will feel full/satisfied faster.

Some days I have scrambled eggs twice. I usually only eat twice a day -- some people evolve to that. You don't have to eat if you aren't hungry. During induction, you will feel "Atkins Flu" for 5-10 days. I think I felt bad for a couple weeks. An egg with butter helped when I would get nauseated or feel crummy. Nap if you need to nap --- it's a big change for your body to switch to running off ketones.

What book are you following? It's very important to read a lot about this new way of life and get educated about the nutritional science. It helps.

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 04-03-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
Sample of simple:

Breakfast:
3 scrambled eggs, made with 2-3 pats of real butter.
Cheese on top of eggs if not having too much dairy later in day.
Bacon if still hungry.

Coffee: 1 spoon of heavy whipping cream, 1 pat of butter, Liquid Splenda (I think they may sell some here on this site.) Then I run mine in the blender with the top on. It makes it foamy.

Lunch:
Baked chicken, eating skin, dark meat preferable.
Serving of broccoli or asparagus.
Either butter on the chicken or put on veggies.

Snack: Homemade Deviled Egg (Duke's Mayo doesn't have sugar in it.)

Dinner:
Steak, eating all the fat, with butter on top or maybe Ground beef patty wrapped in a large lettuce leaf. I like mine with mayo and mustard. (Ketchup has sugar -- I just don't use it anymore at all.)
Or baked fish, with butter. I like Talapia, I put butter, parmesan, and garlic powder on mine and bake.
with Small green salad, homemade sugar free dressing, topped with parmesan or cheddar (if you haven't already had too much dairy that day.)

How's that? Avoiding Frankenfoods and making most everything yourself will help.

Deviled Eggs are great for induction and to stomp out any cravings -- just find mayo without sugar. Yum!
Cheese sticks are helpful, try to find some that aren't low fat.
Bacon can be made ahead and brought with you in a zip baggie.

I'd try to avoid cream cheese during induction, if you can. It stalls a lot of people. (Linda's recipes use it a lot.)

You should eat until satisfied, but try not to eat PAST that. It's a high fat plan, so you will feel full/satisfied faster.

Some days I have scrambled eggs twice. I usually only eat twice a day -- some people evolve to that. You don't have to eat if you aren't hungry. During induction, you will feel "Atkins Flu" for 5-10 days. I think I felt bad for a couple weeks. An egg with butter helped when I would get nauseated or feel crummy. Nap if you need to nap --- it's a big change for your body to switch to running off ketones.

What book are you following? It's very important to read a lot about this new way of life and get educated about the nutritional science. It helps.
Thank you for that!
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hellojoepark
Thanks all for the advice. I am starting to see results right away. I always thought on Atkins that you can eat all you want, as long as it doesn't have carbs. I'm clearly wrong. I've taken your advice and have started to eat "simpler" recipes, cheese sticks with ham, broiled chicken with just olive olive and salt and pepper. I still have a lot of Linda's quiche stored in my freezer so I will continue to eat that. However, I'm going to watch my caloric intake and continue to work out like a mad man.
hellojoepark is offline   Reply With Quote