Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
New!!!, few questions...

Started about two weeks ago, lost 10lbs right away. Right before St. Pattys didn't help or now a week off. Need to stay away from the beer. About the same since, still down about 10 lbs since the start.

What kind of fat/protein ratios are people using?

I lift 5 days a week, about an hour each session pretty hard. I was hitting the protein shakes after every workout, but haven't since low carbing. Any one use any Whey Protein Isolates? I see they have sucralose, but don't see how much per serving?

I can eat tons of eggs per day, but its probably best to eat whites when possible, right? More than 3 eggs is your RDA of cholesterol. I usually only have a couple a day and the rest whites...

Limit on mayo? Couple tbsp per day or what?

Anyone not see much weight loss until they threw in moderate amount of cardio? I have done insanity once completely then a couple other times didn't finish like the first week of Atkins I stopped 3 weeks in because I didn't know how the effects of low carbs would be on the high intensity cardio. I would like to start running too.

Thanks for any help!
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I suggest that you check out the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Voleck and Phinney. They are the authors of the latest Atkins book and have a lot of great information that I think you might find helpful.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ziva
Stats: 230/212/199/160/140
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: March 2013
Good questions... I just started threeweeks ago. I did p90x last year and I'm planning to start back with an insanity p90hybrid on Monday. It took these three weeks for my body to adjust to ketosis... I didn't have enough energy for any exercise these last few weeks but I'm starting to get it back now. Good luck. I'm interested to see the answers you get.
ziva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I do not limit my food based on dietary cholesterol. I do not eat only egg whites. If I eat eggs, I eat the whole thing.

If you're following Atkins, you do not want to focus on protein, you want to eat moderate protein, very low carb, and not limit fat. It's very important for you to read the books, because you're still focusing on old thinking that won't work with this plan.

Yes, I did high intensity weight lifting while on Atkins (in the past, not currently, due to health issues). I did not have any trouble with my energy, and I did not focus on cardio. Weight training is much more important for fat loss while maintaining lean body mass. I lost fine.

I'm losing this time without exercise. Eventually I hope to be able to get back to weight training, but I'm losing.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, I will try to get the book ASAP. I am going to hit it hard tomorrow, start insanity again and avoid my beer. I had a good vacay anyway. I have no old ideas, This is all new to me. I know fat is important, It's just hard for me to eat that much, I'll need to limit my venison unless i pour butter on it, since it's pretty much all protein. I'll let you know Ziva, if you can let me know if you do first
Old 03-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I'll be starting P90X tomorrow too. I'm kind of excited about it. When is your weigh in day?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I'm going to start everyday tomorrow so I can see what works and what doesn't. Before it was every couple days or so. I can't say i'm excited because with that and lifting, it's almost 2 hrs/day which is always hard to fit in. But, it makes me feel better when it's done weight loss or not. Going for 270 by end of April. Need to get cut up by boating season.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb83 View Post
Thanks, I will try to get the book ASAP. I am going to hit it hard tomorrow, start insanity again and avoid my beer. I had a good vacay anyway. I have no old ideas, This is all new to me. I know fat is important, It's just hard for me to eat that much, I'll need to limit my venison unless i pour butter on it, since it's pretty much all protein. I'll let you know Ziva, if you can let me know if you do first
You don't need to eat a lot of fat, but you need to not eat a lot of protein. That's the difference. Like, if you're eating eggs, don't eat only the whites, eat the whole egg. If you're eating a salad, eat it with some protein and a full fat dressing. If you're eating venison, eat it cooked in some fat. Like that. That will not only keep you satiated longer and help to slow the digestion of your protein and carbohydrates, it will help you naturally limit your protein. You don't have to eat spoonfuls of fat or anything, it's just thinking about combining the fat in ways that make sense. I never eat carbs without fat.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

You go! I love that you are pushing toward a goal. (boating season). That really gives the motivation. The fam and I are going on a cruise this year so I've gotta get it done by then. I have a little more time than you though, we go in October. If you are lifting don't weigh. Scales can be misleading as muscle you gain will weigh more than the fat you are losing. Measure.... Take pics... When I did P90X the first time, I didn't lose much but man did my body change... Then again I wasn't doing Adkins at the time either so maybe this time I'll get the body transformation and the weight loss. We'll see. Either way, good luck. You can do it.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, i hear you. Gained hopefully muscle since I started lifting months ago, I can tell I am still about the same size and my pants are loose...I've def noticed my legs growing since I've gone up to around 700lb on the leg press.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

One month down, about 20 lbs down...

Still don't know what ratio works for me...
I've been trying for the 65/35/5 which is around 150g for fat and protein for me
Can't tell if lifting or cardio affect my weight loss whatsoever
I keep track of everything
Ketone sticks don't work for me, i wish they would (at least in the am)
I'm drinking lots of water as usual
Killing the eggs and adding butter/mayo when possible to add them fats
I have my beer and/or vodka waters fri and sat still
But...slowly losing, trying new things, feeling pretty good