Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Help! No weight loss on induction! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/800521-help-no-weight-loss-induction.html)

Jenabee333 03-28-2013 06:45 AM

Help! No weight loss on induction!

Hi,

I'm new here and looking for a little help and encouragement. I've successfully lost a lot of weight in the past on a LC diet. I'm at about 189 lbs now at 5'9" Back in 2002 I got down to 154 and felt great.

My issue is that I've been 189 since I began induction almost 2 weeks ago!! I've been very careful. Checked my ketostix and most times I've had a reading-- usually moderate- high. No sugar, no cheats I cook all my food at home and am really careful... and ZERO weight loss. My clothes all fit the same (and I can tell as I wear a uniform at work). I've also tried going on induction 4 or 5 times in the past three years and the same-- NO DIFFERENCE!

Should I just throw in the towel and go back to my old ways over Easter, Stay on induction or just keep on going to OWL and see what happens? I don't get it! Has anyone had this happen and till lose weight from hanging in there??

cfine 03-28-2013 07:01 AM

Could you post a typical menu day?

Jenabee333 03-28-2013 07:39 AM

Breakfast:
3 egg omelette with cheese

Lunch
small greek salad

Dinner
2 fish fillets with spinach and mushrooms (dessing made with olive oil, tint bit splenda and lemon juice)
Cream of broccoli soup (homememade)

Snacks:
Salami
celery

Tons of water

*Please note that when I first did Atkins years ago, I was never as careful as I am now. I've also tried doing induction without dairy and processed meats and artificial sweeteners-- same results: Zilch.

tinamanni 03-28-2013 02:46 PM

I'm wondering - what was in the greek salad and the cream of broccoli soup?

Jenabee333 03-28-2013 04:27 PM

Greek salad: Romaine, a few olives, peppers, feta, a few slivers of red onion and olive oil for dressing.

Cream of Broccoli (I make all my soups at home:Heavy Cream, Chicken stock-- I watch the carbs, broccoli or cauliflower, 1 clove of garlic, pepper and a whisp of nutmeg) all legal, right?

tinamanni 03-28-2013 05:03 PM

all legal from what I see except maybe the salami depending on how it's made -

I would watch the amount of dairy you are having - or even cut it out. 3-4 oz are what is allowed and it's easy to go over that really quick. Too much cheese for me stalls me completely so make sure you are staying within limits. Some people can't have dairy at all. Also - watch the cream (3 oz I think is what is allowed), same thing.

I didn't pop this into a calculator but using one is really helpful for me. The website has a list if you need one. I like to make sure I am getting hitting fat, protein and carb goals along with making sure I am getting enough calories.

Are you drinking enough water? This is one of those things I should practice myself but I always get stuck with it

Punkin 03-28-2013 05:12 PM

My advice is to count your calories as well as carbs. When I drop my calories too low I stall. I was stalled for quite awhile in the beginning. My issue was not eating enough fat. Eventually after I brought up my calories and started eating enough fat I started losing.

Jenabee333 03-28-2013 06:26 PM

Thanks guys. Like I said, I tried it last time without the cheese and dairy and same thing... no wight loss at all. I just peed on a Ketostick and it was dark purple. I've tried eating more eating less...tweaking it every which way I know how and NADA. I'm getting so discouraged! Could it be my birth control? I wasn't on it the other times that I had success. But it's the only thing I can think of that 's different.

I suppose I just want to know if you all think I should stick with it or throw in the towel and enjoy some scalloped potatoes this weekend.

bacon bit 03-28-2013 06:30 PM

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel? I mean, I always struggle on day three, then again around two weeks, then three. After that, I'm gold. But those first 3 days are always miserable.

Jenabee333 03-28-2013 06:40 PM

bacon bit, I won't lie to you... I want a drink. I love my wine and I've been missing it but I haven't touched a drop during induction one week and four days so far. I feel...like I want a drink.. work has been super stressful. I've had kind of low energy and have been feeling tired. That could also be stress, too.

BTW. congrats on your fantastic weight loss! You look fabulous!

bacon bit 03-28-2013 06:56 PM

Thank you! Well, I think that...potatoes are my favorite food in the universe, though I haven't entirely visited the whole of the universe to know if there is something better. :)

Having said that, I think that if you are not in this 100%, it's probably going to backfire. I've tried Induction twice. Both times I've succeeded after I got past that hump of 3 weeks. It's people who say things like you just said to me that keep me going. Like most things, you've got to go all in or else maybe it's not the right time. I'm obviously no expert! I'd challenge you to double the time you've put in it and revisit it again then if it's even on your mind. I keep reminding myself I can have potatoes again one day. It really helps me at this point! In fact, I DO have potatoes sometimes.

The first time I did Induction I reached the 6 week mark and added in one treat of 11 carbs once a week. It helped kick start my metabolism and I still lost. Just some thoughts! I admire you for asking for help when you need it!

Mad4Chillas 03-28-2013 07:06 PM

I would look at your sodium intake, some of your foods look a little higher in sodium and make you retain water. Try and reduce some of those and make sure you are drinking your water! It should help flush things out :)

cb83 03-28-2013 08:28 PM

I'm having troubles too, i'm going to dial down the dairy and try to avoid the alcohol ;)

Jenabee333 03-29-2013 08:32 AM

I do like my food salty. Would that really PREVENT me from losing ANYTHING on induction? Last time I was successful, I still drank coffee. I drink only espresso now. Maybe 2 per day. I just don't want to start 2 weeks induction all over again. I'm really looking forward to a martini or a glass of wine very soon!

Mad4Chillas 03-29-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenabee333 (Post 16343027)
I do like my food salty. Would that really PREVENT me from losing ANYTHING on induction? Last time I was successful, I still drank coffee. I drink only espresso now. Maybe 2 per day. I just don't want to start 2 weeks induction all over again. I'm really looking forward to a martini or a glass of wine very soon!

I know for me, and most women in general, you can retain a lot of water weight if you're not drinking lots of water and watching your sodium intake. After a night of eating on plan but maybe going over 1,000mg over my normal sodium intake my weight can shoot up 2+ lbs in the morning. But every person is different.

Jenabee333 03-29-2013 05:44 PM

cb: I know for me that Alcohol will prevent me from losing. Although, when I was in maintenance years ago, I'd always have a massive whoosh after a night of drinking vodka. It was like 5 lbs just slipped off me. I used to call them 'booze whooshes'.

Thanks for all your help. I'm gonna stick with it. I just made a Spinach Gratin for dinner tomorrow. I've been in dark purple ketosis for two days straight now. Made a delicious rabbit soup with a whole rabbit, olives, celery, dried morels, shitakes and mushroom stock.

My boyfriend has already finished half of it.

Jenabee333 03-31-2013 01:46 PM

Sorry for all the whining, guys... I'm just completely confused. I stepped on a scale for the first time in over a year and I actually weigh 195 lbs!!!! Aside from this depressing fact, I still don't think I'm losing anything. I felt a bit better in my clothes yesterday and my sticks were dark purple. I began drinking a lot more water so flush out any salt. Kept my carbs uber low and this afternoon my sticks showed a negative reading after eating nothing but beef, a few bits of diced onion and 2 poached eggs for breakfast.

I really need some support right now because the depression over my weight is tempting me to binge. I know this makes no sense, but I'm sure that most of us are familiar with the depression/binge cycle. My two weeks of induction are over tomorrow and still no real loss.

Beezer Louisiana 03-31-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenabee333 (Post 16346507)
Sorry for all the whining, guys... I'm just completely confused. I stepped on a scale for the first time in over a year and I actually weigh 195 lbs!!!! Aside from this depressing fact, I still don't think I'm losing anything. I felt a bit better in my clothes yesterday and my sticks were dark purple. I began drinking a lot more water so flush out any salt. Kept my carbs uber low and this afternoon my sticks showed a negative reading after eating nothing but beef, a few bits of diced onion and 2 poached eggs for breakfast.

I really need some support right now because the depression over my weight is tempting me to binge. I know this makes no sense, but I'm sure that most of us are familiar with the depression/binge cycle. My two weeks of induction are over tomorrow and still no real loss.

I'm wondering if maybe you are having so much protein that it's converting to carbs? There comes a point where if it's more protein than you need, it's converted to carbs. What if you lower your protein intake a little and increase your fat intake?

With the higher fat, you shouldn't be as hungry (if you have ADEQUATE protein.) I did this by adding butter to my coffee, and much less HWC than I was putting before. I wasn't hungry and the scale started moving again. I realized that I was eating meat, meat, meat and HWC and eggs. I cut back on the meat and started drinking 'fat coffee' and it helped.

I would avoid the salami and watch the amount of dairy you are consuming. Even if it's HWC, too much can stall you.

bacon bit 03-31-2013 03:33 PM

You can do this! You said your clothes felt a bit better, that's great! Sometimes I get in this rut where I think fewer carbs will mean I'll lose faster, but if I don't eat my veggies like the book says, I DO NOT lose. I have faith in you!

Jenabee333 03-31-2013 06:50 PM

Thanks guys. I caved and had a glass of wine tonight at Easter dinner. I'm starting another 2 week induction phase tomorrow morning. If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'll do. I'm also happy to report that due to my crappy math skills I am 5 lbs lighter than I was this morning. I had to convert kg to lbs and I entered 2 extra kg which means that I'm actually only 190. My goal is 155.

You've all been really great. I remember years ago, it was a forum much like this one that helped me to stick with things and lose the weight. Keep your fingers crossed and I will try all your suggestions. I DO eat a lot of protein. Can't do the butter in coffee thing. But I can eat it on it's own (kinda gross, I know) but we all have our means, I suppose.

I hope to report better results for you on the 14th.

kd12464 04-01-2013 01:10 PM

You don't sound like you are getting enough veggies. LC is about alot of veggies (check the induction list for the kinds of veggies and amts you should be eating). If you are doing Atkins, re-read the book. It's hard to get through the 1st 2 weeks bc your body is getting rid of alot of stuff. Just keep focused on your goal, one day at a time. Also, a good idea is to prepare stuff the night before for your next day's meals/snacks. Makes a big difference (at least for me).

Jenabee333 04-03-2013 07:07 AM

My clothes are getting looser...

SweetMe678 04-03-2013 08:38 AM

Hi, I would also point out something someone else said, you *may* not be eating enough fat. The goal is to burn fat as a source of fuel. It takes about 3 days on average for people to get into ketosis, but it can take up to six weeks for your body to get good at using fat as a fuel source(per Lyle McDonalds ebook on keto diets), so if you are eating a lot of protein and not enough fats with it, you may be converting some of the protein (there is a ratio of what your body can do with protein in a book i'm reading) and your body is then NOT burning fat for fuel.
Also in the biochemistry thread in the main forum, they mentioned that it takes a LOT more water to use fat as a fuel, than it does carbs.

Hope this all helps. I would say if you are not feeling energized within the first week, then something isn't right, in my experience.

The first time I did atkins years ago, I drank. The longer I was on atkins, the faster I would go back to ketosis.

Yay that your cloths are getting looser!

Jenabee333 04-03-2013 01:18 PM

Sweet Me: some one did point out that upping my fat might be a good thing to do.

Here's a sample menu right now:

Breakfast:
2 scrambled eggs cooked in butter and topped with more butter (some mornings 2 strips of bacon)
half a raw bell pepper

Lunch:
Leftover rabbit soup (rabbit, olives, mushrooms, celery, mushroom stock, onion,garlic, bay leaf)
2 pats of butter

Dinner:
Thai Duck salad: leftover duck, julienned peppers, mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce, tiny bit of splenda, iceberg lettuce, cilantro, bean sprouts
2 pats of butter

Snack:
Proscuitto

water water water

Jenabee333 04-05-2013 05:39 AM

Hey Guys-- Just an update and a thank you to all of you who provided me with useful advice and much needed support. I've finally had success with induction!! In this last week, inches have melted off and I feel great! I don't usually weigh myself as the scale takes a while to inch down for me and I don't want to discourage myself, but I can tell you that the midsection of my body has significantly slimmed down (under my arms and the sides of my waist and back-- that's where I tend to pack on the pounds).

So today I am having a couple of drinks (vodka soda) to celebrate! I seem to remember that I needed 3 weeks on induction every time I've had success. How quickly we forget. 2 weeks never cuts it for me. I'll probably stick with induction (ish) foods but maybe up my carbs by about 10 a day and drink maybe once a week. This plan is what helped me to lose all the weight before.

You have all been wonderful and a huge help and inspiration. Have a very happy weekend--I know I will!!!

Beezer Louisiana 04-05-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenabee333 (Post 16355910)
Hey Guys-- Just an update and a thank you to all of you who provided me with useful advice and much needed support. I've finally had success with induction!! In this last week, inches have melted off and I feel great! I don't usually weigh myself as the scale takes a while to inch down for me and I don't want to discourage myself, but I can tell you that the midsection of my body has significantly slimmed down (under my arms and the sides of my waist and back-- that's where I tend to pack on the pounds).

So today I am having a couple of drinks (vodka soda) to celebrate! I seem to remember that I needed 3 weeks on induction every time I've had success. How quickly we forget. 2 weeks never cuts it for me. I'll probably stick with induction (ish) foods but maybe up my carbs by about 10 a day and drink maybe once a week. This plan is what helped me to lose all the weight before.

You have all been wonderful and a huge help and inspiration. Have a very happy weekend--I know I will!!!

Congratulations! :high5: It feels great, doesn't it?! :D

But I think you should go slower on raising your carbs -- maybe you meant raising carbs 10 a WEEK, not a day?

I think DANDR calls for raising carbs 5 grams a week and following the ladder -- but it's early in the morning and I may be wrong.

Jenabee333 04-06-2013 02:03 PM

I meant 10 a week. but perhaps 5 a week is more realistic for wight loss goal :)

Jenabee333 04-14-2013 03:02 PM

Okay, guys... 1 month update. I don't really use a scale-- it makes me crazy. So I judge my weight loss by how my clothes fit. When I'm down a few more lbs and stepping on a scale is not so depressing, I will begin to weigh in.

So far, I've lost the majority of weight from my hips, ribcage and bum. I can wear my "skinnier" clothes, but still can't get into my size 33 jeans. I feel amazing. I sleep better-- my bf is a snorer and we've been having brutal arguments about if for as long as we've lived together as I'm a very light sleeper. Not anymore. I sleep so well I hardly hear him at all.

I HAVE been bad this weekend with the drinks. Especially last night-- I had a lot of wine. But back on track tomorrow and maybe even back tot he gym! This woe takes time for me to see results, but they do come, so I just need to stick with it!

bacon bit 04-14-2013 04:01 PM

I'm glad you're feeling good!

tinamanni 04-14-2013 05:42 PM

that's great - good for you!