Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wanderlustrous
I'm never going to lose this weight... seriously.

I'm on month two of Atkins, and I haven't seen any change in my weight since day 10. That's 3 weeks without change during induction. My pants are just as tight. My suit is just as tight. It's not just the scale that isn't budging. 98% of the time, I'm under 18 grams of carbs per day.

I hear these wonderful stories of people dropping 20 or 30 pounds in the first month. I've lost 4-5. That's great for me, so I'm trying to relish in that little victory, but I still have 60 more to go. I'm standing up at a wedding this fall, I want to finally take my honeymoon (we didn't get to have one when we got married last summer because of limited funds)... I feel like my life is on hold. I'm simply unhappy being this heavy.

I've been proactively trying to control my weight for years. I've never weighed this much. I've tried everything (4 different commercial, pre-packaged food programs; one other nationally advertised program; Personal Trainers; Acupuncture; hCG; intense work outs) and the only time I lose weight is when I starve myself.

I went to an OBGYN who also has a weight clinic. She promotes low-carb eating. She said cut out artificial sugars (I barely had any before- maybe 1 can of diet soda every other day, and a serving of jello pudding made with heavy whipping cream and water every other day) and Atkins products (I literally bought one box of the peanut butter cups- that's it). She put me back on Thyroid medication for hypothyroidism (I'm within range, but not optimal according to her), suggested I change my multivitamin, put me back on probiotics, put me on a vitamin D supplement, and told me to stop taking the birth control pill. I'm going to get back to exercising regularly (I injured myself snowboarding about a month ago, and I was out of commission for a while). I'm going back to see her in 6 weeks.

Maybe it's my hormones that won't allow me to lose weight. Maybe it's some other wacky condition. Whatever it is, it's really getting me down.

I know losing weight is not easy. It just seems impossible for me. Has anybody out there had as much trouble as I do??? Did you come up with a solution?

Last edited by Wanderlustrous; 03-14-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Wanderlustrous is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Please post some menus so we can see what you are eating...Are you using an online food tracker? If not You might want to find one and start plugging in exactly what you eat.

Have you read the Atkins book? If not I would pick one up and read the book...I tried to wing it many times unsuccessfully...I did not lose til I picked Atkins and read the book. The plan works if you follow it correctly.

The Atkins Shakes and bars contain sugar alcohols which will stall many people...the best way to start eating low carb is with REAL food and none of the prepared fake stuff.

Good luck and post those menus for us so we can help.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it is discouraging.

ask her about Metformin. often people who have a hard time losing are very insulin resistant even if they are NOT diabetic. Metformin can help and seems, over long long years of heavy use, to be a good drug with positive side effects rather than negative...

take a deep breath and relax though. however heavy you are, your biggest goal MUST be not to let it get any worse. and that is harder than you would think, as you get older. any pound you lose and keep off is a victory. remember that.

good luck *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
it is discouraging.

ask her about Metformin. often people who have a hard time losing are very insulin resistant even if they are NOT diabetic. Metformin can help and seems, over long long years of heavy use, to be a good drug with positive side effects rather than negative...

take a deep breath and relax though. however heavy you are, your biggest goal MUST be not to let it get any worse. and that is harder than you would think, as you get older. any pound you lose and keep off is a victory. remember that.

good luck *hug*

I agree, I am on metformin for PCOS (insulin resistance). If treating your hypothyroidism plus the diet aren't enough, you may need to treat insulin resistance medically too. It sounds like you have a great doctor, BTW!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I would love to see your menu.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Hi all! Thanks for the kind words. I feel as if this is such a safe, and supportive place.

I use an online food tracker at another website. I did read the Atkins book. I also read Why We Get Fat and What We Can Do About It. Now I'm reading Good Calories, Bad Calories.

I'll ask my doctor about Metformin when I see her in 5 weeks. She took me off of the birth control pill to observe my hormones more accurately to determine if I have PCOS or something else. She wants to know why my estrodiol levels were so low a year ago (I think it was 11 or so, which is really low for a 26 year old. But, I was on the pill at the time. She wants to retest when there are no forces working against what my body naturally produces). She also put me back on thyroid medication. I'm within range, but not optimal. She's given me Armour Thyroid, and we're slowing increasing my dose until I'm in what she considers optimal range.

She also told me to change my multivitamin, take vitamin D supplements, and start taking probiotics again. These items haven't arrived in the mail yet. They should be here any day now. She also recommended a whey protein shake made with unsweetened Almond Milk for breakfast when I don't have time for eggs.

Here is my menu from yesterday (note, I cook with olive oil and butter)

Breakfast:2.5 ounces Albacore Tuna in Water with Olive Oil Mayo and Low Carb Relish, wrapped in a leaf of living lettuce.

Lunch: Same

Dinner: 3 ounces of Shrimp wrapped in Nitrate Free Bacon, 1/2 C of Broccoli with 1/4 cup melted sharp cheddar.

Snack: 1 Deviled Egg, 5 slices of Pepperoni, 1 tspn Cream Cheese

Random day from last week

Breakfast: Flank Steak with Sour Cream

Lunch: Pork chop, 1 C spinach, 1 packet Heinz mayo

Dinner: Flank Steak with Cauliflower Mash

Snack: 5 black olives

Before I went to see the doctor for the first time, I would have 1 can of diet soda every other day or so. She understands why people enjoy products with fake sugars, and doesn't expect me to eliminate them completely, but wants me to "watch how much I have" and aim towards all natural products. After I got this advice, I stopped doing drinking any diet soda. I purchased 1 box of Atkins peanut butter cups at the beginning of last month, but I threw them away once I spoke to her. Finally, I used to make jello pudding with 1 1/2 C Cream, 1/2 C water. I'd eat 1/2 serving for dessert sometimes. Not anymore.

I gave away everything in my pantry with fake sugar to a co-worker of mine who is also doing low-carb with one exception- I hung on to Breyers Carb Smart Vanilla Ice Cream. I'd rather have that on hand for when I really want a sweet treat than go out and eat real ice cream with sugar.

I measure my carbs with measuring cups and a scale. I'm typically under 18 grams/day. I've been in ketosis all but 2 days. Even when I registered as negative, I don't get cravings or hunger pangs.

Now that I've healed from the snowboarding incident, I'm going to start exercising again.

I've heard on other websites I should give up dairy and processed meats. I will if I have to, but I feel like I'm already sacrificing so much. Plus, I'm just starting out in life- I can't really afford meat at every meal.

Bottom line, it may be some quirk to my diet. It may be my hormones. It may be just a good old fashioned plateau. I don't know.

I'm just jealous that there are some people out there that lose so effortlessly on other programs and low-carb and my body struggles so much. If I were to "cheat" on any diet even one bite a day, I'd gain weight. Heck, I've done other commercial diet programs, followed them to a T for months, and gained weight.

I just hate that it's so incredibly difficult for me. It's not ok that I've been obsessing over nearly everything that has gone into my body since I was 12 years old. I'm turning 27 this month. That's 15 years. And I'm 60 lbs overweight.

I hope this doctor finds something. It's just a shame that this is so hard for me.

I appreciate all of your kindness and support. I feel as if I can't talk to other people about this problem because literally no one believes that I diet so meticulously. They truly think I'm lying. I shouldn't have to convince my closest family members and friends about this. The only person who believes that weight loss is so hard for me are you guys
and my husband- Only after years of being able to see every single dollar I spend my money on (not fast food or sweets), sitting with me for meals every single day, and seeing me cry when I get on the scale is what finally convinced him that something's off. Plus, he's in medical school and is starting to read up on insulin resistance and it's starting to make sense to him.

Anyways, thanks for listening you guys. It means a lot.

Last edited by Wanderlustrous; 03-15-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
I feel for you - I do. I bet a lot of us have cried after getting on the scale and seeing no movement. I think that losing weight is one of the MOST DIFFICULT things to do in life. It is for me. Can you show us some of your tracker results at the end of the day? Carbs, calories, etc? And it looks as if you are eating really cleanly -- have you tried eating as basically as possible for - say three days? I'm saying - JUST eggs for breakfast, tuna with mayonnaise for lunch with a small salad, and hamburger meat for dinner with a small salad? Is that something you could do?

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Hi Dairy Queen- thanks for the response

Yesterday was: Cal- 851, carbs- 18, fat-56, protein- 68; random day last week Cal- 1588, carbs-20, fat 122, protein-96.

I could do that for a day. Thanks for the support!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
I know how you feel as far as the scale goes. I have really slowed down too.
As far as advice goes, I'm kind of new at this myself. I agree, your eating looks clean.
How much water are you drinking. Are you getting enough fats in?
I hope you break through this plateau and start dropping the pounds!
sillykimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

I drink 8+ glasses everyday. I have an alarm set on my phone to remind me to drink water every 2 hours.

I think I'm getting enough fat. I get double the amount recommended by another website's moderate approach.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Wow, after seeing what you ate the other day, I can fully understand why you are so discouraged. I mean Pa-leeeeez what's a person got to do to lose some weight!!
I agree that you seem to have a great doctor. She isn't buying the "food pyramid" nonesense, understands that carbs and sugar are the demons to health and weight loss and in your case, seems to recognize hormonal imbalances, and is knowledgeable about treating them. I would trust her advice.
Thanks for starting this thread.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, avid
Old 03-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Wow, after seeing what you ate the other day, I can fully understand why you are so discouraged. I mean Pa-leeeeez what's a person got to do to lose some weight!!
I agree that you seem to have a great doctor. She isn't buying the "food pyramid" nonesense, understands that carbs and sugar are the demons to health and weight loss and in your case, seems to recognize hormonal imbalances, and is knowledgeable about treating them. I would trust her advice.
Thanks for starting this thread.
I agree...you see to be doing everything right...keep working with your doctor...maybe there is an underlying medical condition, deficiency , or sensitivity that will be discovered...otherwise stay the course...I would think things at least will not get worse and may get better after your body realizes it is ok to let go of the weight. Gaviv is another poster here who had trouble losing with low carb and chose to go another path that is working for her...maybe look her up.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope that your doctor figures this out. I totally understand the frustration. A lot of us have trouble losing weight quickly.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Losing excess body fat is a really slow process, it takes about 1 year to lose roughly 10lbs. And for people who have metabolic issues it is even more difficult. Weight loss is different, you can lose 10lbs of weight in less than a year, but not likely will it be body fat alone. That is where the confusion occurs, people see a 10lb drop in weight and assume it is all bodyfat. So don't worry too much about what the scale is saying. You might start atkins at the same time as someone else and lose only half of the weight they have, but that difference could just be in water weight and glycogen storage. It could also be lean body mass which some people also lose when they lose weight. So to lose less weight is actually a good thing, because it probably means you are only losing bodyfat and not lean mass along with it. As long as you are losing you are winning. If you plateau over a month or two, then you have to worry more. For something like that it might mean going to a fat fast. Reversing the process of excessive fat accumulation takes a long time and you have to be patient with your body. Unfortunately it takes time to fix metabolic issues and the don't happen as fast as we would like them too. 8(

Last edited by Punkin; 03-18-2013 at 06:05 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Punkin. It's impossible not to compare yourself to others who lose at a normal rate (or a quick rate). I was watching TV last night, and Sharon Osborne was promoting Atkins products. She said, "I lost 23 pounds in 6 weeks."

I lost 3 in 6 weeks. (I had 2 beers for St. Paddy's day, a piece of low carb bread, a serving of low carb pasta, and a serving of low carb ice cream. I'm glad this was my binge, instead of high sugar products. I gained 2 pounds this weekend. The damage could have been much worse)

Avid, what program do you follow?

I'm going to eat clean for a few days. No dairy. No processed meats. Only eggs and meat.

Thanks for the continued support!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

@Pumpkin. Did you mean to say you could only lose 10lbs per YEAR? Or did you mean per month? I lose an average of ten pounds of fat per month when I am eating clean.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlustrous View Post
Thanks, Punkin. It's impossible not to compare yourself to others who lose at a normal rate (or a quick rate). I was watching TV last night, and Sharon Osborne was promoting Atkins products. She said, "I lost 23 pounds in 6 weeks."
!
My sister and I started atkins at the exact same time, and she has lost 2x as much weight as I have. The scale reads everything you lose: water, glycogen, lean mass (the extra adipose cells and muscle mass) as well as body fat. So for each person it the numbers are going to look different. For people who aren't losing as fast, assuming they are on plan, what they are losing is mainly body fat, where as the others are losing more of the other things as well. This is assuming you are following a LC diet. If you are doing a low fat diet or a low fat, low carb starvation type of diet, there is a good chance you are losing lean body mass in the form of muscle mass as well as body fat. That isn't good. I don't know if you have read any of Gary Taubes books, but he explains all the theory behind it in his books.

It is so hard, I have been on atkins for two months and it seems like I have lost so little weight, but it is slowly coming off. Reversing the process of excessive fat accumulation seems to be difficult and takes patience, especially for those people who have a particular affinity for storing fat. LC reverses the process but slowly, not quickly. I notice with me that I am starting to eat a normal amount of daily calories and my hunger and cravings are diminishing. It is like I am returning to a normal eating pattern (except that I am LC in a HC world). Also a lot of my chronic health problems seem to be going away as well. With the amount of weight (fat) I had to lose I originally thought it would take me six months. It is going on 1.5 years now and I am still not there. Even though it is a slow process I am really enjoying the other benefits. I am happy not to be obsessing about food all the time. A year ago, I had a lock on our "carb" cupboard. And I used to have a problem hoarding food. Now I don't even know where that lock is and I don't seem to care that our food cupboards are practically empty!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

That's great, punkin. You have such a great mentality!

I have read Why We Get Fat. I've also read the newest Atkins book. I started reading Good Calories, Bad Calories.

I lost 5 pounds my first 10 days on Induction. I haven't lost anything since (it's been 4 weeks since then). I am following the "metabolically resistant" version with a slight twist for a few days. Just eggs and meat with one serving of vegetables. Hopefully that will get me over this plateau. I can't believe I plateaued so quickly--

I haven't had any hunger pangs since I began. However, my ketostix read deep purple when I began. In the last few days, it's been reading negative. My doctor said not to worry about ketostix- she mentioned a blood test being the most accurate.

I can't imagine being on induction for 1 year and a half. I suppose if that's just what needs to happen, it just needs to happen.

I'm trying to keep my head up. Thanks again for your ongoing support!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Update: I've dropped 5 pounds since the weekend. The combo of a semi-fat fast and cutting out dairy seems to have gotten me over the hump
Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Quote:
Update: I've dropped 5 pounds since the weekend. The combo of a semi-fat fast and cutting out dairy seems to have gotten me over the hump

I was just going to suggest cutting out dairy!

I lost 30lbs in 4 months on low carb, then the weight just stopped coming off. It got very discouraging and ended up with me going off plan for a few weeks. I made the choice to go off plan though, I know carb refeeding has helped me break through stalls in the past.

I am now trying a diet for my blood type which recommends NO dairy. Just two days in without cheese and I am down 3 lbs. Basically I am on South Beach Phase 2 with no dairy, mushrooms, or cauliflower.

I will miss cheese every day of my life probably but it's so worth it if it helps me lose weight to cut it out.

SO glad to hear that you have had success and are feeling better.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fushigi88
Stats: 195.5/195.5/160
Start Date: March 2013
I have hypothyroidism and I'm doing Atkins for the first time. I did have gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and I ate a low carb diet and only gained 11 lbs with my pregnancy and was 20 lbs lighter than my starting weight 2 weeks after I delivered. I had to test my blood sugar and follow a strict diet and I learned that my body doesn't handle milk very well - I love milk. Cheese is fine, but milk is a no no for me.
It sounds like you may have figured that out for yourself - I'm glad that you seem to be losing again. Good luck with the rest of your journey.
fushigi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's great, punkin. You have such a great mentality!
I can't imagine being on induction for 1 year and a half. I suppose if that's just what needs to happen, it just needs to happen.

I'm trying to keep my head up. Thanks again for your ongoing support!
You may not have to be on induction that long. For some people it is just a matter of reseting their metabolism so they aren't over producing insulin in response to carbs. When you slowly add back the carbs, you will know the right level based on your personal metabolic characteristics. People that have a serious metabolic imbalance may need to be in induction just to get rid of the excess fat. It is easier to do that in induction because there is little to no chance of your pancreas releasing too much insulin in response to carbs.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbieDarling
Everyone loses at their own rate. The trick is to stick with it. I've been on Atkins for almost 11 months now and I've lost 55 pounds. It's been SO slow compared to others that started at the same time as I did but I also have thyroid disease and physical limitations when it comes to exercise. I honestly thought it was impossible for me to lose weight since I had tried everything else. I was wrong. I'm glad I stuck with this way of eating. Hang in there and I promise you will see a change. Best of luck!
DebbieDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Update: my weight jumped back up to where I was plateau-ing. That makes a 6 week plateau (I've been on the program for 7 weeks). I've cried a lot, but I'm sticking with the program. I have no choice. I have to keep it consistent. My doctor is on vacation this week, but I'm putting in a call to her next week to let her know how taxing this has been on my emotions (7 weeks low carb, plus 15 years of alternate ways of dieting, the last 5 of which have been strict and incidentally, espensive).
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

I just got back from the DR who suggested I go low carb. I gave her my food log. They checked my urine, and of course I was in ketosis. Duh- I have been nearly every day since I started over two months ago. Initially, she tried to tell me I was eating too much protein. She told me I may be eating too many calories. But by the end of the visit, I think she realized that was superficial advice.

A few minutes after her initial assessment, I started to let her know how incredibly fed up with dieting, exercising, supplement taking I am without losing any weight for years. Since I'm always on a diet, this is my lifestyle. I started crying. I told her about yesterday with ditching my friends because I was too embarassed to see them, and then I think it clicked with her that something is seriously wrong. I can do anything I set my mind to. I went to law school, I own a house, I friggin ran a half marathon. If I want something, I'm disciplined and I accomplish it.

She finally TRULY reviewed my dieting history with me when I mentioned that I am tired of accounting for every single thing I eat. I obsess over it. It's not healthy. I reiterated that I never lost weight with the 13 or 14 or so tries in the last 13 years. She apologized for not listening more closely during our first visit when I told her about this.

Doctors have accused me of lying or accused me of being stressed. When she saw my cortisol levels as normal (they were tested), she realized, I am not stressed. Also, my female hormones were pre-menopausal again, but she said that doesn't mean anything until we retest while I'm off birth control.

I could tell she felt bad. She honestly thought I would come in today 15-20 pounds lighter (she literally said that she was shocked I didn't). She admitted that she was stumped.

She didn't get the results for some of my blood tests yet. She decided that it'd be best that she reach out to her colleagues to brain storm about what our next step is. She'll call me about when to make an appointment once she had a game plan.

She said she has no doubt that I have PCOS. She said she doesn't want to put me on metaformin (spelling?) just yet. She thinks there is more investigating to be done first.

In the mean time, she suggested I a) eat less protein; b) eat more fat (protein fat ratio should be equal); c) take more fish oil; and d) take an appetite suppressant for immediate results.

I don't think the advice she gave me was the best advice. Especially because I think her theory about protein turning to glycogen and preventing weight loss may be flawed-- I'm in ketosis. Would I be in ketosis if I was eating too much protein? I also don't really believe in taking appetite suppressants. I am disciplined enough to not need them. I think she thought I just needed her to do SOMETHING until she asks around to find out what we should do next.

I was in there with her for about 45 minutes. She seemed really sympathic especially after I started crying. She asked me to be patient with her, and that she's learning too.

So, for now, I'm no better off than I was before I saw her. I'm thinking about filling the persciption for the phentermine because I'm desperate. I really need to see a loss on the scale. I really need the mental boost.

I personally think it's my hormones. I'm hopeful that as she reaches out to people, they tell her to stop focusing on my diet and to dig deeper. I told her money is no object- to test away. I pray that she and her colleagues come up with something fast.

She said she doesn't want to give me a specific amount of calories to eat, but it should be somewhere in the range of 1200-1600 (not entirely too off from what I'm consuming). Also, she said that my protein should be between 70-90 grams. (Also, not THAT much different than what I've done). So, my biggest change will be eating more healthy fat.

I don't feel great about it, but I have to have faith that she will do her homework to find out what's going on with me.

Last edited by Wanderlustrous; 04-10-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
In the mean time, she suggested I a) eat less protein; b) eat more fat (protein fat ratio should be equal); c) take more fish oil; and d) take an appetite suppressant for immediate results.

I don't think the advice she gave me was the best advice. Especially because I think her theory about protein turning to glycogen and preventing weight loss may be flawed-- I'm in ketosis. Would I be in ketosis if I was eating too much protein? I also don't really believe in taking appetite suppressants. I am disciplined enough to not need them. I think she thought I just needed her to do SOMETHING until she asks around to find out what we should do next.

I was in there with her for about 45 minutes. She seemed really sympathic especially after I started crying. She asked me to be patient with her, and that she's learning too.

So, for now, I'm no better off than I was before I saw her. I'm thinking about filling the persciption for the phentermine because I'm desperate. I really need to see a loss on the scale. I really need the mental boost.

I personally think it's my hormones. I'm hopeful that as she reaches out to people, they tell her to stop focusing on my diet and to dig deeper. I told her money is no object- to test away. I pray that she and her colleagues come up with something fast.

She said she doesn't want to give me a specific amount of calories to eat, but it should be somewhere in the range of 1200-1600 (not entirely too off from what I'm consuming). Also, she said that my protein should be between 70-90 grams. (Also, not THAT much different than what I've done). So, my biggest change will be eating more healthy fat.

I don't feel great about it, but I have to have faith that she will do her homework to find out what's going on with me.
Sounds like you have a decent doctor, though I'm not sure why she is hesistant to prescribe metformin if you have PCOS and/or insulin resistance. It is a very safe drug and has possibly other health benefits besides helping with insulin/blood glucose. I have been on it for several years and I am attributing much of my reduction in PCOS symptoms to low carb eating PLUS metformin.

You can be in ketosis and eating too much protein. Excess protein can be coverted into sugar and even body fat. Dietary fat does not do that. She sounds right on in her target goals for your protein and fat consumption. On the other hand, it sounds like you are fed up dieting. Can you think of LC eating instead as the healthiest way for you to eat (I truly believe it is, if you have insulin issues, which it sounds like you do) and weight loss as a side effect? If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't? Very hard to do, I know. It sounds like you are not ready for that. JMHO, but phentermine does not sound like a good idea to me. Is it something you would be willing to take for the rest of your life? It just doesn't seem sustainable.

What are the blood tests she is waiting on? Perhaps upping your thyroid medication again would help (my DH is on the lowest does of Amour right now, so I know you have to do it slowly)?

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-10-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Hi Mistizoom,

She thinks metformin shouldn't be our first line of defense. I mentioned it to her, and that was her response. It sounds like it's on the table, and she's thinking about it though.

I'm going to take her advice and eat less protein. I ate 84 grams yesterday. I was at a protein to fat ratio of 18 to 76% or something along those lines.

I am trying to think of low carb as the healthiest way of eating. It is hard, like you said. Eating consciously (dieting isn't quite the word I was looking for) is my lifestyle. I'm always thinking about everything I ingest.

I agree. I decided not to fill the prescription for phentermine. I think she just wanted to do SOMETHING for me because she was at a loss. I can limit my food intake on my own. It's really only a 200-300 calorie difference she's striving for. And it's all protein. I can do that. Plus, it'll save me money. Eating low carb (with healthful foods and quality meats) is expensive.

She's waiting to see the results of my latest TSH, Free T3 and T4, and vitamin D levels. She is waiting to see those results before she changes my dose of Armour Thyroid or Vitamin D. (I'm on the second to lowest dose of Armour, and I take 21000 units of vitamin D a week).

She also wants to run more tests now that I've been off birth control, but she doesn't know exactly what her course of action will be. She wants to reach out to some of her colleagues, write to a couple of book authors, and then go from there. I told her money is no object, but she doesn't want to put me through a gamut of tests unless it's worth the money and she knows how to interpret the results.

She's a great doctor. She is an OBGYN who has taken a liking to the endocrine system. She admits, she's learning and I have to have patient with her. She thanks me for putting my faith in her.

I do have faith in her, but something's got to give sooner than later. I'm obsessive. I have been for years. It's just not healthy. I pray every night that she gets closer to this missing link.

Thanks for the support. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Wanderlustrous; 04-11-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Mistizoom,

She thinks metformin shouldn't be our first line of defense. I mentioned it to her, and that was her response. It sounds like it's on the table, and she's thinking about it though.

I'm going to take her advice and eat less protein. I ate 84 grams yesterday. I was at a protein to fat ratio of 18 to 76% or something along those lines.

I am trying to think of low carb as the healthiest way of eating. It is hard, like you said. Eating consciously (dieting isn't quite the word I was looking for) is my lifestyle. I'm always thinking about everything I ingest.

I agree. I decided not to fill the prescription for phentermine. I think she just wanted to do SOMETHING for me because she was at a loss. I can limit my food intake on my own. It's really only a 200-300 calorie difference she's striving for. And it's all protein. I can do that. Plus, it'll save me money. Eating low carb (with healthful foods and quality meats) is expensive.

She's waiting to see the results of my latest TSH, Free T3 and T4, and vitamin D levels. She is waiting to see those results before she changes my dose of Armour Thyroid or Vitamin D. (I'm on the second to lowest dose of Armour, and I take 21000 units of vitamin D a week).

She also wants to run more tests now that I've been off birth control, but she doesn't know exactly what her course of action will be. She wants to reach out to some of her colleagues, write to a couple of book authors, and then go from there. I told her money is no object, but she doesn't want to put me through a gamut of tests unless it's worth the money and she knows how to interpret the results.

She's a great doctor. She is an OBGYN who has taken a liking to the endocrine system. She admits, she's learning and I have to have patient with her. She thanks me for putting my faith in her.

I do have faith in her, but something's got to give sooner than later. I'm obsessive. I have been for years. It's just not healthy. I pray every night that she gets closer to this missing link.

Thanks for the support. I appreciate it.
It's great that you trust your doctor, she really does sound very helpful. I also see an OB/GYN as my primary. I am on birth control as well, that alone was actually what I used to try and help PCOS for years before I went on metformin. Ultimately though your health is in your hands. I encourage you to do more reading on your own about metformin and if you think it's right for you, push for it. Because metformin has been linked to weight loss, especially if combined with a low carb diet. And since it sounds like weight loss is important to you it could really help. Ok, I'll stop talking about it now.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

No, thank you for the response! You're 100% correct. I'll start doing more reading on my own and see what I come up with.

I think I got my first period today since I stopped birth control. I say "think" because it's ridiculously light. I called her office to ask if I should go in to get blood drawn (first day of your cycle is best for testing for hormones) and I haven't gotten a response back.

I appreciate her as a doctor, but heck, that's why they call it "practicing medicine" and not doing it. If I see fit, I'll get a second opinion, ask her for referrals for specialists, etc.

Thanks for being a great support