Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Staying in Ketosis on OWL?

One question I have after reading my Atkins books is whether or not as you move through OWL is whether you need to stay in Ketosis. I know that we need to find our own CCLL but it doesn't mention whether Ketosis should be a goal.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC

curious to hear the replies.
thanks for posting.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Ketosis is the goal during OWL, yes. That's why you slowly move up the carb ladder, testing yourself and checking for losses. People have different levels of carb intake that can keep them in ketosis, some can eat more than 60g daily, and others cannot eat much more than twenty without being kicked out of ketosis.

Staying in ketosis during pre-maintenance and maintenance is a personal choice. I plan to stay in ketosis for the majority of the rest of my life (barring very rare mindful choices once at goal), which means eating high fat, moderate protein, low carb, forever. It's healthier, and will be easier for me to maintain long-term.

Others may decide that they want to eat more carbs than I, and while being mindful of carbs, will not choose to stay in ketosis, and will therefore eat moderate carb, moderate protein, moderate fat for maintenance.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Ntombi,

Do you use the ketone strips or do you have a ketone meter?? I want to stay in ketosis too, because it helps so much with cravings and of course burning fat...anyway, that is my understanding, as I am still in induction.
May60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have both, and use them sometimes, but I know when I'm in ketosis.

And more importantly, I only eat foods that keep me there. Meats, fats, lots of non-starchy veggies, moderate amounts of higher carb veggies (onions, tomatoes, peppers), some dairy. When I get to premaintenance and maintenance, I might add legumes occasionally.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Thanks, Ntombi! I use the strips, but I believe I can tell when I am there!
May60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Everyone is capable of ketosis, ketosis just means burning fat for energy. The more carbs you eat, the less time you spend in ketosis in general. Some people can be in ketosis, even thought they have plenty of stored carbs around. Generally reducing carbs means spending more time in ketosis. The body will get to the point if you are LC enough that it will conserve what little glucose is has for the cells that really need it, that is when the brain starts running on ketones. For people whose fat tissues have a lower affinity for storing fat, they may not need to be in ketosis as much as someone who tends to store fat more easily. When your brain is running on ketones, you will probably crave carbs less, and therefore eat less carbs, this has an advantage if you have a high tendency to turn the food you eat into fat. That is why the Atkins diet is so effective because it allows you to find your own personal balance. You might not need to necessarily have your brain running on ketones if you don't have a particularly high affinity for fat storage. You can get away with eating a lot more carbs. The North American lifestyle seems to be tipped towards being a higher carb diet, even if you remove the sugar from it. If you look at something like the menu of a fat fast, for example. How realistic is it to live on that type of menu. Although for some people who have problematic metabolisms, a fat fast might be the only thing to get them into a proper weight loss (fat loss) mode. Hopefully that isn't most people though, because that is a difficult diet.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote