Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Total/Net Carbs?

Hi just wanted to ask about the whole net carbs thing? Is that the carb count you're actually suppose to count? I have been just counting calories, but weight loss is very slow. Was just curious if anyone had tried counting calories and carbs and had success. I'd tried the low carb thing before, but I didn't lose to great on that either and wondered if I was still just consuming too many calories. I mean you still have to be burning more calories than you're consuming in order to lose weight right?
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
In the most recent version of atkins people count net carbs, i.e. total carbs - fiber = net carbs. However some others prefer the old version which took account of total carbs only.
I used to count carbs only but last week started counting calories and I realized I was eating at least 3 times my daily requirements. To be honest I haven't seen much improvement yet, but it has not even been a week so I mean to stick with it.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoRainy View Post
In the most recent version of atkins people count net carbs, i.e. total carbs - fiber = net carbs. However some others prefer the old version which took account of total carbs only.
I used to count carbs only but last week started counting calories and I realized I was eating at least 3 times my daily requirements. To be honest I haven't seen much improvement yet, but it has not even been a week so I mean to stick with it.
Ok thanks for the info. Let me know how it goes. Attempting JUDDD at the moment, but am thinking of watching the carbs on the "up" days. Hopefully, I'll get some results.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hhatred
WOE: Atkins NDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Hi just wanted to ask about the whole net carbs thing? Is that the carb count you're actually suppose to count? I have been just counting calories, but weight loss is very slow. Was just curious if anyone had tried counting calories and carbs and had success. I'd tried the low carb thing before, but I didn't lose to great on that either and wondered if I was still just consuming too many calories. I mean you still have to be burning more calories than you're consuming in order to lose weight right?
Not sure if this is on point with your inteded question, but the last part of your message is wrong. You do not need to be burning more calories than you are consuming to lose weight. That formula makes too many big assumptions ... like all calories consumed are broken down into usable fuel and either get burnt up or stored as fat. This is not the case. It is not a simple formula like that.

You need to get your body burning fat for fuel rather than storing fat for future fuel. Then you will lose fat. Fibre and other undigestable carbohydrates do not impact your blood sugar, but somehow still have calories in them. They are not used even though they are consumed. So they don't count, and we don't have to count them.
hhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Salad Spinner
At 51 I have to count both. In my late 30's when I began lc'ing? nope, never even considered calories but I also do total carbs so that pretty much keeps your calories low if you eat the right foods. By my 40's they def came into play and now in my 50's absolutely calories count and so do carbs. Well thats all over the place but hopefully you get the idea, lol.
Salad Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I have to count calories, at least right now if I want to maintain my weight. There are two main reasons for that. I am over 40 and I am short with a small frame. So my daily intake is less than the average person and therefore my portions have to be smaller. Sometimes when people serve me a plate of food, I have to tell them, that it is too much food for me.

Also, JUDD would be a dangerous plan for me, especially if the up days include upping the carbohydrates. Generally I can be a bit more lax at calorie counting on atkins when my carbs are really low on a day to day basis. I tend not to overeat as much with the high fat foods. But the other issue with the high fat is that it only takes a little bit of food to consume a lot of calories, so that can also be an issue. Because I have a small BMR, I tend to take a really low carb veggie, and smother it in a fatty sauce which keeps me full and doesn't cause me to overeat. Salad with a small amount of protein and a full fat dressing was always a good option when I was out for dinner.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Well, I lost 80 pounds following Atkins (2002? New Diet Revolution version). I counted my carbs and followed the plan to a T. I did not subtract fiber. I also did not count calories. Not one iota. I may have been totally freaked out at the number of calories I was consuming if I had so It's probably a good thing I didn't.
kitcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
You can pretty safely subtract the fiber from the total carb amount. DH is type 1 diabetic and he does this, or else his blood sugars go too low.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote