Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Climbing the carb ladder?

every time I go to about 30-35 net carbs I stop losing. I hit about 40 and gained for the day. yikes.

If I keep carbs at about 20-25 I lose fine.

I am only adding in some nuts and berries, bit of cantaloupe etc. as Phase 2 is allowed. Of course I weight those nuts cause I know they are heavy calorie hitters.

I am curious. What carb levels are you atkins people hanging at in order to drop weight off the scale? Am I going to have to live on 20-25 net carbs the whole way down the scale, and then stay at maybe 30-35 net carbs in maintenance for life in order not to gain.

I do not see myself getting into that 40/50 range at all for maintenance ever. I would gain I am sure.

atkins at the end near goal has one pretty high up the carb ladder. I just don't see this happening.

anyone else having to stay very low in net carbs to lose?

I got about 30-40 lbs left to lose. It is giong to be a long journey if I have to stay in induction numbers to do it.

just want to see everyone's experiences out there regarding this carb ladder of adding in foods.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LastRick
Stats: 245/193/192
WOE: HFLC (+ IF)
Start Date: July 2010
I tracked calories *all* of 2012 (never again) and despite losing 30 pounds, even at the end I couldn't go above about 29 net grams without stalling. Just how some of us are, grrrr.
LastRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

ahhhhhh Rick no kidding. 29 was your limit? yikes. well at least you kinda gave me the validation I was searching for. someone else stuck on the low carb ladder!!

I think you are right. no matter how I play this, I think I am stuck low and it is just gonna be that way.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I doubt your maintenance level will be any higher. Some find maintenance harder than losing.

it's a balance between carbs and calories, though, and you have to find your "sweet spot" for long term eating or it's just too hard to stick to it. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You can try to climb the ladder when you're nearer to goal to see if you can go higher.

Personally, I am extremely carb sensitive, and although I've been maintaining for almost 2 years, I do best at about 20g of carbs daily and rarely go above that--and am often lower. At 30g, I begin to gain, even if all my additional carbs are from green vegetables.

Fortunately, I love this WOE, and my body seems to thrive at 20g carbs. I suspect that whatever carb level works best for each of us is the level that's best suited to our physiology.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

ahhhh man guys you are killing me here LOL

no, I kinda knew this. I just needed to see it written out and telling me that around 30-40 will be it tops when maintaining.

I had a feeling eating like induction would be what this will entail for life. I sure hope I can tweak a bit and find a good spot that allows me to add a few things more.

I already know grains and sugar are NO. that ain't happening. but when you said adding additional carbs from green veggies start to make you gain, wow, that worried me

well it is what it is. that is for sure.

thanks for sharing. helps me get a handle on this long term.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I am not sure that it is that depressing. The reason I say this is that stalls are not what they necessarily seem to be. For example I have been on induction for about six weeks now. I initially lost 3lbs, but that was due to a drop in glycogen and water storage which happens at first. Then for four weeks nothing. My weight actually went up a bit after the first two weeks. I didn't drop the carbs, just played around with the protein a bit. I was getting frusterated because you need to lose in order to identify your CLL so you can move up to the next phase. I was worried, it looked like I might be losing BF from the way I looked in the mirror, but I couldn't really tell. Then yesterday I stepped on the scale and was down 3lbs just overnight. I think what happened might be that my body cells are losing fat but replacing the fat with water which weighs more. Then suddenly something happened and for whatever reason, my body released some of that water it was holding. Although I love the theory behind the atkins diet, I am not sure using stalls, to guide your carb tolerance is the best way.

What I suggest is maybe using hunger cues and calorie counting. For me, I count my total calories and macros including my net carbs and just let my hunger cues guide me. I know that my maintenance is roughly between 1500 cal/day to 1700 cal/day. So if at the end of the day I come in under 1500 cal and I have had no hunger cravings, then I am below my ACE and probably somewhere in my CLL. However if I am getting closer to 1700 cal a day and am getting some hunger cravings then I am rubbing up against my ACE or maybe slightly above, although I haven't been on atkins long enough probably to really start testing the waters accurately to find my ACE.

So in your case, I think you need to just give it a bit longer. Don't worry as much about the stalls, meaning you might never be able to eat potatos again, if that is what you are thinking. I think it takes a lot longer to really develop your maintenance plan. At least that is what I think based on my experience, hope that helps.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote