Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
2 upcoming detours - advice on how to handle

Hello group,

As you can see, I'm new to the boards and to the LC plans. I've been in induction for almost 2 weeks, have lost about 6# and am in ketosis. I feel great and I'm really excited about continuing until I reach my goals. This board is great for getting information and I've searched for the answer to my questions before posting. So I apologize if this is duplicated somewhere else.

I have 2 events coming up - one on March 3rd and one the week-end of April 13th during which it will be impossible not to eat carbs. They're both long and different stories as to the reasons why but please take my word for it. While I do not plan to gorge or go overboard, I will definitely be over my carb limits for the day and week-end for those dates stated.

So I'm looking, in advance, for advice on how to minimize the damage and motivation to get back on track right away. Should I go back to induction level carbs again after each event to get back on track and then slowly ramp back up to where I'd been? (I anticipate being at about 40 carbs per day at this point.) Or just go back to what I'd been doing and understand that there will be a stall and work through it?

Back in 2004, I lost about 30 pounds doing LC, and felt awesome. However, I fell off the wagon due to bad weather, flight delays and an inability to find compatible food at an airport. Since I'd fallen off the wagon, I used that as an excuse to have "just one more thing" before climbing back on. Needless to say, its now 11 years later and here I am, back on the wagon and about 30 pounds heavier than I was when I originally started LC back in 2004 (so 60+ pounds total). I DO NOT want that to happen again and I hope with planning, forethought and mental strength I can makes these 2 blips work.

Many thanks!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
The only thing I can suggest is to eat before you go to these events, so you're full, and any off plan eating will therefore be minimised. If you were diabetic or had food allergies, would it still be impossible to avoid foods that were bad for you? That's how I try to think about my dietary requirements - I simply do not eat foods I know are bad for me,even if that means eating nothing at all (which is never really a danger if I'm prepared and have some cheese or similar with me) - it won't kill me!

Whatever you do, just get back to normal the next day - I wouldn't go back to induction, I'd just ride out the gain/remaining the same. Best of luck!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Start Date: April 2014
If I have a carb fest, for whatever reason, the way I get back on track is to do induction for about three days. It helps me to get back in control of hunger and cravings.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IslanderNL
Stats: 208/149/155 Maintenance
Start Date: August 14, 2012
I never eat off plan no matter what the event and simply tell people "I can't eat that, it makes me sick." Which is very true, it got me to the border of diabetes. And no one has argued the point with me. I've not eaten carbs at birthdays, weddings, funerals, work banquets, restaurants, airports, hotels, you name it. I figure there are two choices that are both hard, you just need to choose which is more difficult: Being overweight or not eating high carb food. Only you can decide, we all choose our battles.

Having said that, I would imagine that eating foods that have large amounts of carbohydrates may boost your weight up with water gain for a couple of days, then if you eat low carb and drink lots of water, you should get past it ok. The only issue may be if it triggers you to go on eating carbs, as you said you did previously. I guess there's only one way to find out, isn't there?
IslanderNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I am like IslanderNL. There isn't an event in the world that would make me eat carbs. I would bring an insulated travel shoulder bag if I had to and bring my own food. there is no place on this earth anyone is forced to eat carbs. Unless you are a food critic, or a lab rat for Frito Lays and you need a paycheck or something extreme LOL

2 blips will allow the 3rd blip and so on and so on and so on til one day you say the heck with it and pack on an additional 25 lbs.

Now, that is my personal view of course.

but if you eat about 40 carbs per day sure you will do ok. rough thru it. eat the food you do not want to eat, and get back on plan. if it all goes in that order for you.
stay strong and hang in there and start thinking that no matter what the event, no one can force food into your mouth. there are ways to avoid.

if I had a conference and all that was served was seafood, and I was allergic enough to die....would I eat it? NO. you would have other food prepared or bring your own.
So just because you can eat this food, do you have too? NO.

It is how I see it for me because it is the way I will succeed. I can't give myself leeway.
but of course all of us have our standards of what foods we will allow into our menu. so that can vary so much. You do what you think is best of course.

best of luck!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becky7474
Stats: 284.5/200/170
WOE: IF, Atkins '72
Start Date: Jan. 2012
I just don't eat them. Even when everyone around me is. Just eat what you can, no one will care, especially if you say it makes you sick. Grab a little extra salad, another piece of meat, ask for no sauce, it's easy.
becky7474 is offline   Reply With Quote