Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: naenae
Stats: 230/190/160
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: April 8th, 2011
Atkins and High Cortisol/Adrenal Fatigue

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to research this and met a LOT of different opinions, and I'd like to see if anyone here has any first-hand information/experience.

I've been having severe issues losing weight this time. I've lost 60+ pounds 3 times in my life and successfully kept it off for years until I'd have another baby (pregnancies always make me gain it back; hate it so much) but this time it's different. My strict dieting and exercise is NOT working. In fact it's working in reverse, as I've gained 20 pounds in a year! I've been researching A LOT for what my problem could be, and I've come to the conclusion I'm most likely suffering from high cortisol/ adrenal fatigue. I have been through almost nonstop, serious stress in my life for a very long time, and I feel it could have run down my system. It's not diagnosed for I cannot afford a doctor right now (long story) but I feel personally I am CERTAIN this is the issue.

When you have this issue, you're not supposed to stress the body; mentally OR physically (like I have been for 15 years with strict diet and hard exercise) because it will only compound the problem. So not only have I been trying to learn to deal with mental stress better, I'm having to fight off my extreme urge to do what I've always done to shed the pounds. I'm supposed to exercise gently, no long periods of cardio, and eat healthy (never a problem for me)

SO, here's what I need help with. I really want to lose at least 10 or so pounds so I can be back at my "comfortable weight", so I've recently started adhering to induction low carb again as it's always worked for me before, and am worried that the severity of Induction/Ketogenic diets could be raising my cortisol. If that is the case, then I should probably try a more low glycemic diet.

Anyone have any information on if Atkins stresses the body and raises cortisol? Especially for someone who is sensitive to body stresses? I've come across two different sides online. One says that Ketogenic diets work around the cortisol response, the other says that there's an 18% or more increase (I cannot let that happen!)

So anyway, help please!

Last edited by naenae; 01-12-2013 at 02:30 PM..
naenae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I hope you figure it out. It seems like the more I exercise, the more I gain weight though. I do better NOT exercising when it comes to weight loss.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Your diagnosis is self? If it is then you are only speculating about the problem and not no it is for sure the problem. I can tell you from first hand experience, that exercise helps a lot of people lose weight, but not all. For some people it aggravates the problem with respect to keeping the "weight" away. Those are people that need to be on a LC diet. How low carb probably depends on the person. I would try Atkins and then if you find it doesn't work you can always abandon it and try something else. Keep your exercise moderate though, I won't do more than one hour a day including your strength training.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharon66
You can lose weight

While it is good to take Adrenal Support for the stress we have to keep our bodies in balance. First while exercising..you build muscle, which weighs more than fat. Lean is where it is at. Not the scale but how your clothes fit is the real challenge. The percentage is in the 90s that adults facing thyroid disorders and many traditional doctors treat with synthetic drugs. The problem is "iodine deficiency" We used to get it from our salt. Only difference between sea salt and table salt is the iodine is in table salt. Iodine liquid over a period of 3 weeks should show you starting to take off weight, increased energy, decreased hair loss if you faced that. It helps they thyroid function better and the symptoms related to it. Try it with your exercise and diet. It should help. Also make sure you google and research Iodine deficiency. You will be amazed. I have worked in family practice over 9 years and holistic over 7 years. I even help the doctors start taking notice of holistic alternatives. Knowing what I know I had fatigue, weight I could not get off, hair loss scared me...I took Iodine, 6 weeks later I had no hair loss and I am down to 120 pounds. I will be 47 this week.
Sharon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
If you google the Hauser Diet it recommends a similar Atkins-type program for adrenal fatigue - high protein/fat, low carbs and definitely avoiding caffeine and sugar.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Very good info on cortisol and addrenal issues at this site... eaware.org.

Also, Shelbyla, (longtime LCFer) has an excellent knowledge about all things addrenal/hormonal and can be found around here. One of her good posts here...

Cortisol & Stress
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I too have adrenal fatigue (stage III, very low cortisol production) diagnosed by saliva testing at Dr's office. Low energy, sluggish, 2 hr naps each day, mental fogginess, etc...

Also last Dr's visit in Dec. 2012 had an A1c number of 6.1%. Pre-diabetes, insulin resistant.

Also cholesterol levels slightly elevated as well as homocysteine levels.

I think it goes hand in hand with the adrenal fatigue issue. Anyway, there is a good book on the subject written by a Dr. Wilson, called "Adrenal Fatigue" that is full of info. I highly recommend reading it. The crux of it is low sugar, low carb, no caffeine, lots of supplements.

So I have been low carbing since Dec. and will be re-checked in April to see if there has been any improvements by just diet alone.

Good luck, hope this helps some!

Karen
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote