Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins/ lots of veggies
Start Date: 1/2/13
Popcorn

Love it, it's the one thing I feel like a miss. Well that and potato chips are a weakness. I think if I could have some popcorn now and then I would be okay. Not going to do during induction but wondering other people's experiences with it. I'm talking old fashioned oil popped with butter. I just feel like just that would fill the void. Other suggestions for the salty crunchy craving? I don't like pork rinds.
leaving30something is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Don't know if it's a crazy idea but what if you make oopsie rolls and rather than spreading the batter in roll / flatbread shape you made some small popcorn-shape mounds? Would those work?
Otherwise, if that's not crunchy enough...parmesan crackers. Induction friendly too.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I've eaten popcorn, since starting back on Atkins.

It's not worth it. You feel worse (ie: physically feel bad) than if you'd eaten a big bowl of pasta.

I'm with you, on the desire, though. It's the one pure-carb food I've always had a weakness for.

Salt/crunch can be filled with nuts. You can also make (and salt) cracker... and lately I've been filling that salt/crunch craving with seasoned seaweed.

To make crackers:

Take your favorite nut-meal or seed-meal (you can grind the nuts in a blender till they're powdered). (Original recipe called for sunflower seeds, but I typically use a mixture of almond and flax, now)

1 cup nut/seed meal
1/4 cup powdered parmasean
1/4 cup water

Mix.

Cover a cookie sheet with baking parchment. Turn the dough out on it, and cover with another layer of parchment. Press/roll it out thin and even. Remove the top parchment. Sprinkle with salt (press it in, lightly), and score with a knife. Bake at 350 until lightly browned all over. (10-20 minutes, depending how thin you got it)

That's it.

You can find packages of roasted seasoned seaweed everywhere from Trader Joe's to Costco (not to mention the local Korean market.) Check the label first, to be sure it's not sweetened. It sounds pretty weird (and unsatisfying), I know... but try it. You may be surprised -- I sure was! In the past, I'd always treated popcorn as a "free" snack -- based on that 80's era wisdom that air-popped popcorn burned more calories than it contained, so you could eat as much as you wanted. So I'd eat it when I wasn't HUNGRY, but wanted to much on something. The seaweed's got that same pleasantly salty, slightly oily, very crunchy, very AIRY quality that popcorn has. I'm not saying, "It's just like popcorn!" But it DOES make a surprisingly good substitute to fill the same needs.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the ideas! I was hoping for popcorn is fine but that a okay. Lol. I guess there has to be some suffering
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
~chuckles~ I know. I'm a meanie.

You really have no idea of my popcorn-addiction -- I really do feel for you on that one! (Plus all those years of being told it wasn't bad for me, so I would eat tons of it guilt-free when dieting...)

Fill the craving with other things, and stay away from the movie theaters until you're farther along.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

You know it's funny because I pretty much never want to go to the movies but now there are 3 different movies I want to see!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
have you tried kale chips? just tear up kale into small pieces, drizzle with oil and salt. bake at 425 (watch closely) until a bit dried. great crunchy salty snacky. hadn't even thought of it til this post. yum!
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

You know I have made the kale chips and they are so good! It's been a while! Last time I burnt them so I took a loooong break from them. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
1/2cup of pistachios in the shell do the trick for me. This is my go-to movie snack now. I usually indulge in white organic air popped popcorn about once a month.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I toss shelled edamame with olive oil and kosher salt and then put it in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. It gets crispy and salty and it's warm, so it gives me that popcorn feeling. Sometimes I sprinkle some Parmesan or garlic or cracked red pepper on it - whatever I'm in the mood for.
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Mini-Goal #1-213 lbs.
WOE: Low Carb/Exercise/Whatever else will work for me
Start Date: Everyday!
Can't bring popcorn into our house, to tempting. When I go to the movies I bring along a serving of nuts and have diet cola and pass up the popcorn. The more I do it the better it gets, I completely understand where you are coming from on this. The Almond Cracker recipe is a good one and hubby 's it. Good success to you on kicking the popcorn habit.
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCfamily
Stats: 330/330/175
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Jan 2013
Leaving30something...

I too love something salty and crunch and so does my family...

we make this to satisfy those cravings

30g (1oz) raw sunflower seeds
1 tsp butter
salt / celery salt/ bbq seasoning whatever you like

heat a saucepan and pour in the sunflower seeds, over med-high heat....wait 30 secs and then add the butter.

continuously stir the seeds and they will begin to turn brown...when about half of them look toasted (you will see the colour change) lay them out on some kitchen toweling paper and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice..

once they are roasted they are crunchy and with the seasoning they are nice and salty..

It's also very quick and easy when I feel like a snack....

Leave them to cool for a couple of minutes after cooking as they can be super hot but they are really good
LCfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imamamax3
Stats: 209/198/150
WOE: Induction/Very Low Carb
have you tried pepperoni chips? just take some sliced pepperoni and put it on a paper towel lined plate in the micro for 1 1/2 to 2 mminutes until they get crispy. They're crunchy and salty and my fav lately
imamamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I eat popcorn every now and then. since being on plan I have eaten it 3 times.

2 cups ONLY. I pop for everyone else and take 2 cups. no extra butter.

so about 1 time per month. never stalled me or made me feel bad at all. I enjoyed every stinking kernel of it and plan on eating it again very sparingly.

but I can do that. popcorn is not a draw for me. if you are a popcorn addict if you add back in a bit, will you want more and more???? if yes then avoid like the plague. if you can enjoy a bit and leave it alone later like me then sure, have a bit.

as I go up the carb ladder I am trying a few things. atkins says to experiment and see what stalls you, what triggers you then avoid, etc. it is a tweaking game for each individual person.

you just started. I would give it a while before I would re-introduce a bit of popcorn.
but later, sure try a bit and see what happens.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by imamamax3 View Post
have you tried pepperoni chips? just take some sliced pepperoni and put it on a paper towel lined plate in the micro for 1 1/2 to 2 mminutes until they get crispy. They're crunchy and salty and my fav lately
you can fry them in a dry nonstick skillet, too.

and the cheese crackers are good.
sliced cheese, cut into 12 or 16 pieces. scatter a few pieces onto paper plate or parchment paper, nuke for one minute until just beginning to brown. leave room for them to spread out a little.

the recipe began w/real american cheese but I like sliced muenster the best. mozzarella cheese sticks cut into 8 pieces works too.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

TY everyone. Some great ideas! I actually toasted sliced almonds yesterday for any other recipe and realized it had a very popcorn like crunch. Have yet to try the cheese chips but I be these would be good for dipping.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MissMerize
Stats: 220.8/212.4/142
WOE: Meat and Martini Diet, cycled with oopsie rolls
Start Date: February 16, 2013
One of my favorite things is taking the skin off chicken thighs and baking it until crispy.

As for pork rinds, not all are created equal. If you've only tried them once or only had one brand/flavor, you could try another.
MissMerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarends
We went to the movies tonight:
Bag 1. Pork skins
Bag 2. Pepperoni slices
Bag 3. Sharp cheddar cheese chunks
1 slim Jim
Can of carbonated water that I squirted orange flavored sacralose sweetener into

It was very good,
sarends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas here! I love popcorn!! It is my favorite food!! I love it more than cake, cookies or anything! Can't be around it because it is one thing I lose control with!
May60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfamily View Post
Leaving30something...

I too love something salty and crunch and so does my family...

we make this to satisfy those cravings

30g (1oz) raw sunflower seeds
1 tsp butter
salt / celery salt/ bbq seasoning whatever you like

heat a saucepan and pour in the sunflower seeds, over med-high heat....wait 30 secs and then add the butter.

continuously stir the seeds and they will begin to turn brown...when about half of them look toasted (you will see the colour change) lay them out on some kitchen toweling paper and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice..

once they are roasted they are crunchy and with the seasoning they are nice and salty..

It's also very quick and easy when I feel like a snack....

Leave them to cool for a couple of minutes after cooking as they can be super hot but they are really good
Thanks for the idea

I also love both pepperoni and dry sausage chips in the microwave (as well as white american cheese).
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennybee
Stats: 200 lbs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 1, 2014
I feel for you. It's hard to go to the movies and not eat popcorn. I, too have a rabid addiction to it. The worst part is, my boyfriend eats it every night while sitting beside me! I can avoid it at home, but not at the theater.

When I was LCing years ago, I would break down and have it twice a month or so-- the movie theater stuff, but I always felt awful. Having said this, I found a cheat every once in a while actually helped my weight loss. Never bothered with the home popped because the daily temptation was a bad habit to get back into.
Jennybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hhatred
WOE: Atkins NDR
My wife loves the popcorn. She makes it the old fashioned way with oil and pot on the stove. Lots of butter. Never seems to mess her up with more cravings, but may be slowing her progress somewhat. Looked it up and the popped corn itself is about 5net carbs per cup...problem is that you can easily sit down and eat 3 cups + That's about half of my daily carb intake. I try to limit myself to one handfull.
hhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I am a popcorn lover myself. Just the smell is.. mmmmmm. Not sure if anyone mentioned this but I like cheese cracker/chips as a crunchy snack.

I use deluxe American cheese, cut it up small squares, space them out on parchment paper and microwave for 1-1.5 minutes
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I found some crunchy cheese puff things on netrition before, though they are NOT the same. But, they filled a need I had at the time with crunch and flavor. There's a buttered popcorn flavor, I think.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ziva
Stats: 230/212/199/160/140
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: March 2013
I went to the movies and thought I would give popcorn a try at the start of this week. I only had about 2 cups, and I checked to see if I was still in ketosis. I was, however, I weighed myself the next day and picked up 1.5 lbs. Yikes.... I tried to do a meat and cheese fast the next day and the 1.5 came right back off but I don't think I can have popcorn... Maybe a once in a great while treat....
ziva is offline   Reply With Quote