Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaW
Stats: 230/205/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Dec. 2012
Milk

I have a friend who went through a low-carb program for weight loss which included hypnosis and allowed her to drink as much milk as she wanted (but elimnated other carbs, like Atkins). She lost a lot of weight. How much of a speed bump do folks here think it would be to drink milk while doing Atkins-type low carb? It looks like it worked for her.

I started doing a low carb diet last Friday (eight days ago) and have lost eleven pounds. I have been drinking milk and eating nuts (and snuck in a potato and some cake on Christmas), so I'm not doing a true induction, but have greatly reduced my carbs (I used to have four slices of bread a day, lots of pasta, and tons of potatoes and popcorn) and it's clearly working.

Here's the thing: I love milk. I mean -- LOVE it. I'd rather lose weight more slowly and be able to drink milk than to lose it faster and never have milk again. But, I really need to lose a lot of weight (60 more pounds need to come off). So -- I'm just looking for insight from others who are more experienced than I am. Will drinking milk be a major issue, or can I keep drinking it and lose weight slowly?

Thanks for your input -- I'm finding this web site super helpful.
EricaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Only you can find this out-there are no hard and fast rules it depends on what your body can tolerate. I would switch your plan to lc or Atkinsish or some might chastise you lol.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Hi Lisa, thanks for the response. What do you mean I should change my plan?
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
You are not doing a true Akins woe-some of those following the various Atkins plans will probably point this out to you. Just keep on keepin on with what works for you.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
milk is more sugar than either protein or fat. you can see that on the label. it's not a good low carb food at all!

you can get Hood Calorie Countdown milk which has been processed to remove the sugar like low fat milk is processed to remove the fat. it's pretty good!

you can eat and drink whatever you want, of course. some people don't need to cut carbs too low to lose. but as lisa says, please don't tell people you are "doing Atkins"!

Last edited by ravenrose; 12-30-2012 at 10:12 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I don't have first hand experience but I have heard that craving milk/dairy can actually be a sign of a milk intolerance/allergy. I would say if it is working for you then you probably don't need to worry about it right now, but if you hit a stall it should be something you cut out. I personally haven't had any milk, yogurt or cottage cheese since I started but I do eat regular cheese, use butter, heavy cream and some sour cream, and drink a whey protein shake for breakfast. FWIW, I'm not following Atkins specifically, that's why my WOE says "low carb/grain-free".
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Milk is high in carbs. Heavy whipping cream (HWC) is much lower in carbs than regular milk.

Can you dilute some HWC to fill your milk craving? Or how about having some sour cream with a little Splenda & cinnamon in it instead?

I would suggest more research into the health benefits of eating low carb. Staying on milk is like saying 'I'm an alcoholic but I'm going to give it up except I'm still going to have one beer every day because it worked for my neighbor.' Is it really going to work for YOU long term? Are you looking at eating low carb as a life-choice or just a gimmic to lose weight and then you'll go back to 'normal eating'? All good questions to ask yourself.

Ultimately, you get to decide what you are going to eat, if you are going to follow a plan or 'cheat', and what plan you are going to follow. What is best for your health long term? It's up to you. You are the one that will live with the results. If it works, great. If it doesn't work, then time to follow a plan as it was meant to be followed and maybe get better results.

I wouldn't be able to drink real milk, too many carbs. YMMV.

If you start running into problems, stalls, I'd ditch the milk. Do what works for you. This is a new way of LIFE, for the rest of your life. It's about learning how to eat healthy and be trim for the rest of your life.

My dh can eat an entire bag of chips and not gain, I can't eat one. So I don't eat chips. I don't cheat. Everybody is different. I've made a life committment to eating low carb and I don't cheat, ever. I reap the benefits. I am happy. I have 'new' favorite foods: butter, steak, cheese . . .

I hope you do some more research and decide if you want to commit to this WOE or not. I hope it turns out well for you, truly.

I wish you fantastic health in this new year!

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 12-30-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
There are LC diets that include milk but I don't know of any that say 'as much as you want'.

Groves gives percentages and does not indicate where carbs come from, for instance.
Dr Dalqvist (sp) has milk on her list of foods to include.
On Atkins, it would be higher in the ladder.

Since I followed groves, I was able to drink my whole milk latte daily and had no problem.

Good luck!! Sounds like you are doing great.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Okay everybody, I stopped drinking milk. Tonight I tried the heavy cream diluted with water tactic and it was great! I thought it was going to be soooo gross. It was not, and it was really, really filling, I could barely drink the whole thing. Thanks so much for all your input.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaW View Post
Okay everybody, I stopped drinking milk. Tonight I tried the heavy cream diluted with water tactic and it was great! I thought it was going to be soooo gross. It was not, and it was really, really filling, I could barely drink the whole thing. Thanks so much for all your input.
I'm so glad to hear it! So now you can decrease the amount, since it's so filling.

Have you entered your caloried into a food calculator yet? It's good to know how many you are getting, even though we are supposed to eat until satiated. It's good to know how many calories each food is contributing. Remember to keep your fat percentage high and you won't be as hungry and won't need as much food to satisfy yourself.

Yay for you!!!!!
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Nope, no calorie counting here. I think that's beyond my skill set