Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.8/?
WOE: lc
The newest atkins book

I know it's not so new anymore, but has anyone done well with this plan? It allows for 20 net grams of mostly veggie carbs during induction. I have only been on it for two days and while I enjoy the extra volume all these veggies gives me, I am also feeling bloated and gassy. Also, I am barely down a pound which is way low for what I normally lose on 20 total carbs, but want to try the higher amount of veggie carbs as I don't feel satisfied eating mostly meat and eggs and tend to overeat the casserole dishes.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I have only been on it for two days...
You've cut out a lot of carbs and grains fruits and sugars - did you remember to add butter and bacon, and meat back in? In order to make up for the carbs you aren't eating, you'll have to eat more of these things to stay full. I started off at 8 eggs for breakfast. Over a few months, My system stablized and now I'm down to 3-4 eggs for breakfast.

Eat leafy vegetables until you hit your carb limit. Count every carb regardless of its source (carrots and onions can put you over your carb limit, for example). But, you can eat meat, eggs, and fat until you are full. You are unrestricted on these things.

It's an adjustment - you're going to struggle for the first two or three weeks. if you can stay strong through this induction phase, it becomes a lot easier. It's probably going to take you 3-5 days of clean eating by the book to get into ketosis. That's when you'll start to see significant weight loss.

No sustainable weight loss plan is going to give you meaningful weight loss in two days. Stick to the plan for now. If you haven't started to lose weight in three weeks - then it's time to examine why.

[edit: On second thought, based on your post count it looks like you've been doing this for a while - when you said two days, I assumed you meant two days Feel free to disregard my post]

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!

Last edited by Z; 12-28-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
I read the newest Dr. Atkins book, and tried it, but same as you, felt that it wasn't the right thing for my body. So I bought and followed the '72 version. Found it on Amazon used for less than a dollar. It's more strict, but I started getting great results. And of course, your menu expands as you go up the rungs.
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Did you lose at all all on the new plan Deborah? I feel like I am finally losing some water today, but having lots of stomach issues from the vegetables.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Hey Jeaniem,
Good Luck on starting your plan.
I'll tell you , if you weren't used to eating that volume of veggies before, the bloat will be the result. All the extra fiber and roughage is feeding your gut bacteria and they are having a great time digesting and making gas and holding water!

The reason you aren't losing much may be because you are holding a lot of gas and water in your bowels from the extra veggies. You ought to expect a whoosh in a few days though, drinking enough water.

You don't have to eat mostly "meat and eggs". Yes veggies are the majority of your carbs, but you also need to have fats , it's mostly the fat that help people feel satisfied, not the protein.

So add some butter to your cooked veggies, make a cream sauce, dip them raw in sour cream and chives. Fats don't have carbs, and won't give you bloat like some of the veggies do.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Metga. It is definitely more veggies than I am used to eating. I backed off some today as the gurgling and gas was embarrassing!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Did you lose at all all on the new plan Deborah? I feel like I am finally losing some water today, but having lots of stomach issues from the vegetables.
I did lose on the new plan, but not like what you hear. Everyone said it was because I didn't have much to lose, but I kind of did. All in all, I lost almost 30 pounds.

When I switched to '72, everything clicked. I lost weight with only a couple of short stalls. When that stopped working, I switched to Nutritional Ketosis, which is what I (mostly) follow to maintain my weight now.
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Deborah. You look great!!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Woke up today to a 2.8 lb. loss after eating about 1/2 the allowed veggie carbs yesterday. I am happy about that but am left wondering if the loss would have happened anyway? Maybe I can do e/o day with lots of veggies-they do seem to fill me up in a way that nothing else does.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #10

that's a whoosh, and I was expecting it for you considering when you started and all the veggies you've been eating. Congrats!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ellibee
WOE: I have on the Dukin diet for almost 2years.
Start Date: May 2011
May I ask what is different between the old version and the new one..I have the new book. Tomorrow will be the end of my two weeks of induction. I have lost 6 lbs. I had been on the Dukan diet for almost two years and have lost 40 lbs. So the induction part was extremely easy for me..I like having the fats because I have missed them!!
Ellibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
The older version is more strict with carbs. In the original book they didn't take the fiber count out. So basically the older book is less carbs.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
WOE: CAD
Start Date: 3/2/2014
This is the plan that I'm currently following. I have tried both the '72 version and New Diet Revolution in the past. The first made me feel lousy and really just felt like a fad diet to me. The latter book is full of contradictions and was unclear on several aspects. For example, in section he allows 20 grams of carb per day and says to make it mostly vegetable, yet he then prescribes only 3 cups of salad or 2 cups plus a cup of 'other' vegetable, which ends up being nowhere near 20 gram. He tells you to use net carbs yet in his example it appears he does not. Anyhow, I checked out the New Atkins book and it's all crystal clear how it works. 12-15grams of net carb from a list of non-starchy carbs. The rest of the book is about the same as DANDR. It also talks a bit about calories (if you are losing, don't worry about them, if you aren't then you may need a reality check). So far, so good for me. I'm in ketosis, no cravings, losing weight and feeling good.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

What did you think of the fat recommendations coffeelover? Savor not smother I think is the term used in the book.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Savor not smother
REaally? Isn't fat supposed to be the highest macronutrient while on Atkins?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
REaally? Isn't fat supposed to be the highest macronutrient while on Atkins?
I kind of feel like a lot of people overestimate this or take it way beyond the Atkins book (or confuse it with other ways of eating).
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealything View Post
I kind of feel like a lot of people overestimate this or take it way beyond the Atkins book (or confuse it with other ways of eating).
I don't have the New Atkins FANY. Do you mind referencing what it says about fat consumption in terms of daily or total amount or ratio?

I get the sneaky suspicion that it is probably much much lower than any of Atkins other books in order to fit in with the 3+ decade old low fat scheme, even though it's a choice between fat and carbohydrate.

Phrases like "don't eat a whole stick of butter" and "don't drown your food in fat" just sounds like old sound bites to me, when for example gravy can be either mostly starch or mostly fat. If you aren't using fat ( or just cutting out those total calories altogether) then it's either protein or carbs and protein is not supposed to be high on Atkins.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I used the newest version of the book and that is how I lost all of my weight...I hope you figure out what works best you. I am only saying this as to let the above posters know that you don't have to go with the old version if the new is working...Just don't want people not starting because they hear the old works better than the new or vice- versa...Just start and see how it goes.

And for OP...you are restarting so imo you may not lose as much at first as you have already had that original water weight loss...I don't know this for sure, just seems as if that is what others have experienced.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dee-L
Stats: 172/110/115
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: June 5, 2012
The best version of Atkins is DANDR (2002)
Dee-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #20

Will someone post back what the FANY says about fat consumption amounts.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What did you think of the fat recommendations coffeelover? Savor not smother I think is the term used in the book
Sorry I didn't see this until just now. It really just doesn't matter to me, because in my case it's just not super important to eat the really high fat amount. I have found that the most important thing to me is just removing the sweets and high amounts of starches. Satiety for me is the removal of added sugar and alcohol and the addition of lots of veggies to add bulk in my stomach. Lots of tablepoons of oil or ranch dressing doesn't do it. Though of course some is important and I make no attempt to limit fat, I just listen to my body. I base this on trying other more moderate carb diets such as Schwarzbein or South Beach. On the former I was in ketosis even while eating about 80 total grams of carb including very small amounts of 'good' starches such as sweet potato and brown rice. I had no cravings and felt satisfied. However, I found it complicated and not at all convenient. Atkins is actually just easier for me to follow.

Last edited by coffeelover; 02-08-2013 at 06:48 AM..
Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Will someone post back what the FANY says about fat consumption amounts.
There is a lot of info about fats in the book but here is some of it;

*enjoy butter, mayonnaise (made from Olive, canola, or high-oleic safflower oils), olive oils, high-oleric safflower oil, canola oil, and seed and nut oils. Aim for 1 tablespoon of oil on a salad or other vegetables, or a pat of butter. Cook foods in enough oil to ensure that they don't burn, but no more. Or spritz the pan with a mister of olive oil.

Cheese is limited to 4 oz per day. In terms of foods it recommends the typical Atkins foods - eggs, cold-cuts, steak, fish, cheese, mayo, etc.

* don't starve yourself and don't restrict fats

It's been a while since I read my 2002 DANDR book but overal my impression is that this book promotes much more veggies, more protein, and being realistic about portion sizes and calories. No calorie counting though.

Last edited by coffeelover; 02-08-2013 at 07:20 AM..
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #23

Thanks Coffeelover.
I think it's interesting the part about oils. I was listening to a pod cast where some guy was sorta bashing Lowcarbers for being obsessed about fat, and then went on to talk about seed oils, transfats and stuff. I thought to myself that many low carbers don't over eat seed oils as a source of fat, and that the comment was a bit misguided since alot of fat can be got just from fatty meats and dairy.

Was that list of details in regard to an induction period (noting the 4oz cheese limit) or a general guideline for the whole books plan?

I think most [American] people get plenty of protein, even if they just cut starches and sugar like you did, they'd still get enough protein and wouldn't need to be told to eat more, but I read someone on JUDDD having trouble eating enough protein, so maybe it must.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

The 4oz limit is mentioned in the Induction section. I don't see it mentioned elsewhere.

A simple way of saying what I was trying to say above is that the book seems to promote eating fairly fatty foods but not going crazy adding extra fats on top of them. The book says you still need some sort of caloric deficit despite the fact that you are burning fat more efficiently with this plan. It also talks about eating less as you lose more weight (and therefore need less food) and gives advice about eating smaller portions and waiting a while to see if you are still hungry - that kind of common sense stuff.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #25

Quote:
that kind of common sense stuff
Das Cool!

Happy Friday to you, I think I'll stop lurking for now. Good Luck Jeaniem!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
To correct my post from above...I don't have the newest book...I have DANDR version...the last or newest book Dr Atkins actual wrote himself...sorry if I confused anyone...but it doesn't matter which book just get started...good luck all.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MissMerize
Stats: 220.8/212.4/142
WOE: Meat and Martini Diet, cycled with oopsie rolls
Start Date: February 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealything View Post
I've been out of the loop and this whole thing is news to me.

I just came back here after a long hiatus and I see people eating veggies on induction

LOL, looks like I need to download a new book today.
MissMerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #28

veggies have always been allowed during induction. just very low carb ones and up to 20 carbs per day including the salads you should be eating.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #29
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
veggies have always been allowed during induction. just very low carb ones and up to 20 carbs per day including the salads you should be eating.
And, before this latest book, there really wasn't much mention of "net carbs" (mentioned in the '92 version, not at all in the '72 version and I don't know about any past '92 until this latest book. I think there were a few versions in-between).

Jeanie, could it have been the type of veggies you were eating? Some (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage) can be pretty gassy even in small amounts, depends on how your body tolerates them.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wahlwoman
WOE: New Atkins
Start Date: Feb 15, 2013
Hi all - I have been following a Atkins/Protein Power program for 5 days now and am showing a trace of ketones in my urine. So far, I am keeping my proteins to around 80 g a day, carbs between 30 and 40 gm a day. I don't know if I have "lost" any weight, but I can already feel a difference in the way my clothes are fitting! Now, to the questions:
If cottage cheese is being considered my protein, I also count the carbs. If something has Carbs and fiber, I subract the fiber from the carb count. What about when something has carbs, fiber and protein? do I make an adjustment for the protein? for instance, I had a couple of triscuits with some tuna salad...what do I do with the protein?

Wahlwoman
Wahlwoman is offline   Reply With Quote