Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
You don't need tomake any adjustments for Protein. There is no subtraction for it. Net Carbs are the only thing you need to adjust.

just count your protein as is. Count your fat as is. Count your carbs minus your fiber.

Something interesting I learned, is that fiber is not calorie free but is around 2.2cal per gram because of bacterial digestion. That doesn't matter much if you are counting carbs and not calories, but if you're counting calories and have a lot of fiber it could affect the calorie count. But don't over think it all.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wahlwoman
WOE: New Atkins
Start Date: Feb 15, 2013
Do I add the protein amount to my daily allowance? It had 3grams of protein.
Wahlwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #33

Yes, you would.

If you are counting protein as well as carbs then you would count any food you eat that day, even a snack. It DOES add up. Are you trying to limit your protein or are you trying to make sure to get enough protein? either way, if the number matter then you count everything you put in your mouth. If you snack on nuts, you'd count the protein in that. If you ate sugar free gelatin then you'd count that as well.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #34

Wahlwoman, how are you tracking your Macros to be sure you are getting 80g of protein and 30-40g of carbs?

A tracker will show you all three nutrients when you enter a food, so it will show you the carbs, the fat and the protein. What you would adjust would be either food quantity or food choices to get the ratio of nutrients you want.

So if you need more protein, but are near your carb limit, you could for example, eat that tuna salad in a bowl, or in half an avocado or with porkrinds, to get protein without carbs added. you don't adjust the numbers, you adjust what you eat.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wahlwoman
WOE: New Atkins
Start Date: Feb 15, 2013
tracker

PerhaPs you can suggest a good tracker. Right now I'm just using some books and my notebook to keep tRack of my pRotein my caRbohydRates. Do I neeD to be tracking my fibers anD fatS too? I've encountered conflicting information from different reference sources, so it gets confusing.
Wahlwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #36

whatever tracker you use, just be consistent and use it all the time. That will avoid conflicting information.

You can find trackers online with a google search and then there is the USDA that most should be based on.

You only need to track fibers and fats if you are trying to keep a certain ratio, for example EFGT has a ratio between fats, carbs and protein, so you'd need to track all three, I personally track fiber in order to calculate net carbs, so there is that.

Besides that, I'm just curious what all the other numbers are, I got some surprises about the foods I ate when I looked at everything about them. It was and is educational.