Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: boresize
Stats: 224/173/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/16/12
Counting Carbs

Hi everyone,

A question has been nagging at me about carb counting.
Being that I've reached my goal weight, been on the diet since July, enjoying great foods, and finding my way to my CCLL,
is there an easier way to count carbs for the long term? It takes time and some detail to calculate.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Once you get a set of foods you enjoy on the regular basis, you should get a feel for their carb counts and it will be quick to calculate it out. Then you'll only have to look up the carbs of unfamiliar foods. But really, I just use an app and have for four years. Logging my food keeps me on track and it takes literally three minutes a day or so, and not all at once, either! It's a simple and very effective maintenance behavior to continue logging food, and favorite food lists in these programs make selecting and adding a total breeze.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littlegeorge
Stats: Starting at 400 pounds
WOE: Atkins, mostly
Start Date: 11/1/2012
Using a spreadsheet to count carbs

I'm using a spreadsheet to count carbs. It's a whole lot easier than trying to write down everything that I ate in a little notebook. I wrote an article about it in my blog. Here's an excerpt from one of the blog posts. Maybe you'll find it useful.

Let’s suppose I have eggs and bacon for breakfast.
  • I enter the words “eggs” and “bacon” into the spreadsheet, in a column that is headed “Food”.
  • The spreadsheet automatically tells me what the serving size is for “eggs” and for ‘bacon”. (That is, it fills in the words “1 egg” and “2 slices” in a column headed "Serving-Size".)

Once I know the serving sizes, I can figure out how many servings I actually ate and enter those numbers in the “Servings” column.
  • So for example, the serving size for “eggs” is “1 egg”. If I had 2 eggs for breakfast, I would enter the number “2” under “Servings”. The serving size for bacon is "2 slices", which is exactly what I ate, so I enter the number "1" under "Servings".
  • The spreadsheet automatically calculates the nutritional information for the foods that I entered: Carbs, Fiber, Net Carbs & Calories.
  • Finally, it calculates the totals for this particular meal and displays them in the bottom row.

Here are a couple of questions that I've been asked about the spreadsheet.

[Q] Doesn’t using a spreadsheet mean that I need to drag a computer with me to every meal?
[A] No. That might have been true 10 years ago, but today I can keep the spreadsheet in my smartphone and keep my food diary up to date using that device, which I carry with me anyway.

[Q] Where did this spreadsheet come from?
[A] Well, to be honest, I created it myself. (I work with spreadsheets in my job, so it was only natural for me to create one that I could use to help me lose weight.)

If you don't know anything about spreadsheets, don't despair. There are smartphone apps that you can buy that do similar sorts of things. There are also websites that provide similar functionality.
Closed Thread