Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nectar
Stats: 138/120/115
WOE: Releana HCG/Low carb
Start Date: January 2, 2011
OWL and Carb Balance Mission Tortillas and Atkins bars

Since I totally missed the boat with thinking Julian Bread was for real, I am compelled to ask the group about the Carb Balance Tortillas. Are they for real? Also, are the Atkins bars (in small quantities) okay? I'm 5 pounds from goal weight and don't want to be mislead again.
nectar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
The bars are a YMMV thing. Many can't use them at all. Some are fine with them in moderation. Learn to read ingredients, look for sugar alcohols or carb counts that are too good to be true when matched to what the product is made of.

I subtract fiber, but not glycerin or sugar alcohols. I don't know about your tortillas but Mama Lupe and some other brands are fine, if they don't trigger you. Mission may be as well.

Also if you are down to 5 pounds to lose, reintroducing things like Julian Bread, even at a higher carb than listed might be okay. After all, you have to learn how to maintain. Many people can't maintain if they don't include a wide variety of foods. Find out your carb limit, it may well be 60 or more.

Congratulations and good luck.

PS I eat Sara Lee reduced carb/sugar bread. It has 7 carbs a slice (I think going from memory here) now and then. Every day will cause a gain, but it makes good low carb french toast or sandwich every now and then. I don't see why you can't eat your bread in moderation now and then.
Citronelle, Alabama, USA
[/COLOR]

Last edited by xamier; 07-30-2012 at 04:03 AM..
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
As long as I don't eat these things on a daily basis I am ok. If I eat an Atkin's product two days in a row I have blood sugar issues. I am diabetic though, so that might make a difference. The only way to truly know if your body can't handle the sugar alcohol is to check your blood sugar one and two hours after you eat something. If you have a huge spike and then it comes crashing down it's a pretty good indicator that you can't handle it.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I eat Atkins bars and have experienced no stalls or gains, but then I don't eat an entire bar at once. I cut mine up and eat a small piece in the evening after dinner with a cup of coffee. Very satisfying........
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juhanna
Stats: 197/184/122
WOE: atkins induction
Start Date: 6th August 2012
intresting, I don't eat the whole bar either, just have a small bite when I get cravings and I'm fine with it... not yet in an owl though, but thinking and planning ahead.
juhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 5kids
Stats: sw 184 8/13 cw 169 4/14
Start Date: 8/08/12 and again 08/08/13
I'm not craving the bars but was looking at the mission whole wheat tortillas and saw they only have 3 net carbs. Was wondering if they would be ok since I'm still continuing induction?
5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
I use the Atkins bars as last minute things when I have no food prepared. I don't eat them on a daily basis, but I don't have any problems with them. They don't trigger any cravings.

I love the Mission LC tortillas- well, just the regular ones. I use them every now and then. I can have like 2 a week (not 2 days in a row) and still be okay. They work in a pinch. On the new menu I'm making, I will have them 2x a week on strength training days, but will still stay under my carb limit, so not using them in addition to my regular carbs. I personally can't stand the taste of whole wheat tortillas, so I'd rather bite the bullet and have the 6g regular tortillas, but just one, rather than the tiny ww 3g ones. I'm sure it's a YMMV thing, but I have no problems with them and actually prefer the taste to other non LC tortillas (well, except the ones I make myself )

GOAL: LOSE FIFTY BEFORE I'M THIRTY

Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

So I'd probably be ok using them twice a week. I know the eas protein shakes I can only use twice a week or stalls me. So I'll probably be same with tortillas. I'll pick some up today. I wanna try them with chorizo and eggs. And probably best to use on the days I do 60 minutes on elliptical.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alero
Stats: 216/198/150 (5ft'0")
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: (Once again) November 9, 2013
My personal opinion, low carb tortillas are kinda nasty. They taste sweet to me. I would much rather a lettuce wrap. But like everyone else said, it's sort of a trial and error thing.

By the way, CONGRATS on being so close to your goal!! That is awesome!
Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Love the mission brand of lc tortillas! I only eat one about every other week though when I make taco bowls. They haven't stalled me. The Atkins bars on the other hand stall me! Love them for a fast snack but i've noticed I don't lose when I eat them.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I agree I love the mission lc tortillas.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
In retrospect, I think I have blue sugar/craving issues when I use the Atkins bars. I never put the two things together until someone above said it effects them that way. I will watch my intake of those even though I only use them occasionally.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectar View Post
Since I totally missed the boat with thinking Julian Bread was for real, I am compelled to ask the group about the Carb Balance Tortillas. Are they for real? Also, are the Atkins bars (in small quantities) okay? I'm 5 pounds from goal weight and don't want to be mislead again.
wait a minute. What do you mean you missed the boat on thinking Julian Bread ws for real?

This statement confuses me. I ate a slice of Carb Zero Julian bread (zero carb bread) nearly every morning during induction of SBD and I lost 15 pounds.

Please clarify! I still eat a slice of zero carb julian bread every morning in Phase 2 of SBD. Is this stuff bogus? I mean..it can't be! Can it?
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alero
Stats: 216/198/150 (5ft'0")
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: (Once again) November 9, 2013
everyone's bodies respond differently to this type of stuff. works for some people, not others.
Alero is offline   Reply With Quote