Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura_
Stats: 268.6/259.7/175
WOE: Low Carb (<20g)
Start Date: 7/2/2012
Diet Soda

Hi, there. I'm sure this has been covered again and again, but I'm going to address it again.

How necessary did you find it to be to cut out diet sodas? I'm, literally, addicted to soda (well, probably the caffeine). I drink it often and I don't find that it creates cravings for sweets. I do know, however, that aspartame should be limited.

What were your experiences like either continuing on with drinking diet sodas or with cutting it out completely?
Laura_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becky7474
Stats: 284.5/200/170
WOE: IF, Atkins '72
Start Date: Jan. 2012
I treat myself to one or two a week.
becky7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura_
Stats: 268.6/259.7/175
WOE: Low Carb (<20g)
Start Date: 7/2/2012
I really need to cut back, if not cut it out completely. Not just for dieting purposes, but overall health. I think that after I'm done this case (only about 4 left), I'm going to not buy it for the house anymore and only enjoy it when I'm out. I'm sure I take in far too much sodium.
Laura_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I find that if I don't limit my sodas, my weightloss stalls. It sounds like a great plan to cut way back.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
I stopped using artificial sweeteners because I was overeating solid food that I'd sweetened, but I quit diet sodas as well, at the same time. In the next several weeks, I lost about ten pounds, much more than I had expected from the amount of food I was eating. I suspect the sweeteners were stimulating insulin.

Also, I've saved a good deal of money, because I don't buy them (or Snapple, etc) on the road any more.
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Converse
Stats: 265/255/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/1/2012
Diet Sodas are pretty much the hardest thing for me to give up, but I know that lose better without them. It could be just something I do, but when I eat with a diet coke, I will eat more, it feels better to wash something down with a coke than with water. I just (re)started on july 1, without soda, so I guess I am figuring it out for myself too.

Doug mentions suspecting it stimulates insulin- I know I have read that before and I'm beginning to feel that is true. Even though it doesn't contain sugar, that you sort of trick your brain into thinking you are eating something sweet which makes insulin release and that makes some biochemical thing that I can't understand.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck with your loss!
Converse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
Diet sodas stimulates hunger and insulin. The fake sweetness tricks your brain. I've learned to trade out diet sodas for tea. I am drinking tea all day. I use herbal infusions (along with tea) to give my tea different flavors. I use Stevia to sweeten it a little. I feel much better and I'm no longer having bladder infections. Tea also has thermogenic properties that help stimulate weight loss.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
Prepare to be shocked...
I drink at least one two liter of coke zero every day. I've been steadily losing weight since September. I also have type 2 diabetes (under control) and I test my blood sugar every several hours and there is no impact. Sooooo, maybe I'm a bad example but it works for me.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: raxware
I too am addicted and drink way too much soda... I average 1 to 2 2L bottles a day (mainly diet coke and diet dr pepper).

I lost 30lbs on my low carb diet while drinking that much so its probably different for each person... just my opinion
raxware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
I was addicted to diet sodas for years and years. I would drink anywhere from 2-6 cans in any given day, and lost weight just fine. However, one day, I just started feeling gassy, bloated, and well--just off--whenever I'd crack open a cold one. Why? I have no idea. But when I really started to think about it, sodas really just grossed me out. I mean, look at that unnatural brown color. Compound that with the recent worries surrounding aspartame, caramel coloring, and the fact that I was spending so much darned money on them, I decided to drop the soda habit. It's been nearly three months and I haven't keeled over! HAH! I've been able to maintain successful during this time period, dropping a couple of pounds since stopping the soda habit. Have I mentioned that I enjoy the taste of food a MILLION times more now that I'm not constantly lubricating my throat with that fizzy, almost caustic sweet brown liquid? I've also saved a TON of money. I love my water and tea!

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Batgirl81
Stats: Current: 281, Goal 160
Just to offer an alternative - im considering this when I start my Atkins.

I'm thinking of buying a Soda Stream - that carbinates the water and using the Davinci Syrups for flavoring.
Batgirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I drink 2 or 3 cans of Pepsi One every day and have experienced no negative effects.
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ayannaluv
I Gave up the Aspartame

I started induction a month ago. took 3 days to get in Ketosis and I felt I was doing great but didn't really see the weight loss. I read on one of the threads about how diet drinks could stall my weight loss and decided to see what drinking water woudl do. immediately i started losing a pound per day. On the days I give in and have a splenda in my coffee i stall or see a slight increase. I was hooked on cherry coke zero for years. But after 2 weeks of giving up soda and coffee, I no longer have the cravings.
ayannaluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
I decided to give up all artificial sweeteners a couple of weeks ago - including diet sodas. It turned out to be easy - all I drink now is black coffee and water. Last night was a bit of an issue since it was my one day of having alcohol this month (I figure 1 day a month is OK), and I had no idea what to mix my vodka with - but I asked here, and plain soda water turned out to be the answer - ingredients just water, sodium bicarbonate and salt.

I have had NO cravings for sweet stuff, and can really taste the natural sugars in foods like tomatoes now. I don't weigh myself, but in the past 27 days (since I restarted), I think I've dropped a dress size . I think dumping the sweet stuff has really helped - I've done long term (3 years) low carbing before - and this time round I'm not tempted to make 'substitute' sweets like cheesecake or sweetened cream - and I think that's down to not eating or drinking sweeteners. Works for me, anyway!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I too am hooked on diet soda. Although lately I've been drinking Arizona diet green tea more and soda less. There is still artificial sweetner in the tea but no carbonation. I recall reading somewhere that the intake of the carbolic acid, or simply the carbonation is bad for bones and joints....anyone else familiar with this?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hhatred
WOE: Atkins NDR
Laura, if it is not derailing your weight loss, and you are still drinking lots of water every day, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep up the good work, you look fantastic (avatar photo).

I drink diet pepsi and coke zero quite often, but I also drink a great deal of water every day. Weight loss is steady. Remember, what's the point in living forever if you don't enjoy life?
hhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I remember where I read about the carbonation being a demon in diet soda.
It was in the Wheat Belly book by Dr. Davis.....He claims that the acid in the carbonation can disrupt the body's Ph and lead to weaker joints and other problems.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kallen
I know I saw on the Atkins site that diet soda and Crystal Lite were both ok to drink as much as you want.... This is the first I have heard of this. While I was in induction I started drinking diet dr. P and some diet coke.. Now I have at least one a day. Ad crystal light I have been drinking regularly...
Kallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: perfect65kg
Stats: 180/161.7/143 5'2
WOE: Atkins or whatever low carb I want!!
Start Date: 20 July 2012
When I hit a plateau not so long ago, I stopped all diet soda but it didnot make a difference till I realised the culprit was the amount of proteins I was having. So now I limit the proteins, increased the fat and drink all the soda I want and am still losing. I don't get hungry when I drink it so don't think it induces insulin production and I still drink alot of water and tea too.
perfect65kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I recall reading somewhere that the intake of the carbolic acid, or simply the carbonation is bad for bones and joints....anyone else familiar with this?
I was concerned about this because I drink so much seltzer water. I looked up the studies that are usually cited, and it appears that they are all confounded by caffeine (and very probably sugar and/or artificial sweeteners). Soda drinkers had lower bone density than those who didn't drink soda. However, a controlled study that compared post-menopausal women who drank either plain water or carbonated water for 8 weeks showed no difference in bone turnover.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1233214234
Diet Coke makes some that are sweetend with splenda, instead of aspartame. They are in yellow boxes and cost like 1$ more, but totally worth it.
1233214234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlowMovingWoman
WOE: Lower carbs, smarter carbs & watch how much I eat
Start Date: Have lost 19 pounds from my highest weight
I just wanted to say if you drink diet soda consider doing this. Do not refrigerate
the soda. Pour it over ice and it will dilute it. Not only will you get less soda
it will make it go further and keep the cost down. SMW
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TimTaylor
Stats: 243/220/143
Start Date: July 16, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
Diet Sodas are pretty much the hardest thing for me to give up, but I know that lose better without them. It could be just something I do, but when I eat with a diet coke, I will eat more, it feels better to wash something down with a coke than with water. I just (re)started on july 1, without soda, so I guess I am figuring it out for myself too.

Doug mentions suspecting it stimulates insulin- I know I have read that before and I'm beginning to feel that is true. Even though it doesn't contain sugar, that you sort of trick your brain into thinking you are eating something sweet which makes insulin release and that makes some biochemical thing that I can't understand.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck with your loss!
I just found this thread and I wanted to let you all know that caffeine in soda's diet or coffee or tea causes me to have sugar cravings. That is what the Atkins book says will happen if you don't cut back on caffeine.
TimTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Okie Joe
I gave up sodas completely but my wife continues to drink diet rite. What she noticed was when she drinks soda and skimps on the water she will stall. People tend to forget their minimum 8 glasses of water a day when they have a cold soda to quench their thirst.
Okie Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
I cannot stand Diet Soda, so I usually buy Klarbrunn or La Croix sparkling water.
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I realize this is an old pist, but a relevant topic. So I'll respond

Being addicted to a food, even a diet, food, may be a bigger problem (emotionally) than the actual effect of the food on your body. If you don't find diet soda insulinogenic, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you find you can't go without them, breaking that chain might be very useful for both health and pocketbook, as the acid and coloring in soda isn't benign, even if it isn't generally harmful to the degree many substances are.

I used to be addicted to, or at least had heavy cravings for, diet Pepsi and diet Dr. Pepper. I wouldn't shake if I didn't get it, but if I drank one I wanted another and another, and days without them were noticeable (I craved the carbonation). Going without them due to budget issues, of all things, was an excellent change! After a few weeks of no diet coke I felt much better emotionally and the food didn't hold as much sway over me. Now I can have tea, coffee, and even the occasional diet Pepsi at a restaurant, and have no major issues. I have a few cans of diet Dr. Pepper in my fridge, to head off a craving for sweets when nothing else will, but that is about the extent of it and I'm not finding myself drinking them in uncontrollable quantities.

For me, just breaking the cycle was enough. Now I *can* approach them with moderation when out of the house or wanting a fun food day. Sometimes a hamburger (no bun), salad, and diet drink hits the spot and scratches the junk food itch, without destroying my day. But I had to detox off the large quantities and get out of the habit of reaching for the,, as opposed to tea or water, first. Then I was free to enjoy them without them controlling me!

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mkillian
Zevia!!

I just found a soda called "Zevia" at my local Fry's food. It was in the natural food section and is sweetened with stevia. They have many flavors but more flavors are available on Amazon.

Last edited by Mkillian; 10-30-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Mkillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkillian View Post
I just found a soda called "Zevia" at my local Fry's food. It was in the natural food section and is sweetened with stevia. They have many flavors but more flavors are available on Amazon.
I was going to buy Zevia a few weeks ago when I noticed it in our local Marvins. But with it having 7 grams of carbs per can that was enough for me to say no. I understand this is from sugar alcohol but I just dont know enough about the newest claims of these being OK for me to want to test it.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mkillian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Joe View Post
I was going to buy Zevia a few weeks ago when I noticed it in our local Marvins. But with it having 7 grams of carbs per can that was enough for me to say no. I understand this is from sugar alcohol but I just dont know enough about the newest claims of these being OK for me to want to test it.
Ya, I only drink it with my vodka really for a mixer only. I dont drink it just to have one. I guess I bought because im just looking at my sugar right now. Good luck!
Mkillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

From my research the sugar alcohol is has Erythritol is the better one to have since it digest in the small intestines and does not cause the trots or severe gas like others. Also its a 0 on the glycemic scale Ive read. So it should be fine for all low carbers, I just have no clue how it would affect me. But since you have been drinking it has it effected your glucose if you are monitoring it?