Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Loser
Stats: 142/135/115 (HW 219)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/31/12
I've lost weight while consuming lots of diet drinks (soda, iced tea, etc.). However, on the rare occasions that I've been able to cut out the diet drinks, I have FELT a lot better.
Loser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i never really put myself to the test....

whether i am a soda addict or not. the stress of holiday season will postpone that test till 1/1/13. I will attempt to do a week w/o diet soda...not even my FAYGO diet choc soda. If it turns out that I AM addicted, so be it! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Flat - the first few days away from soda was TOUGH, but it does get better. Now I can have one occasionally and not feeling excess cravings, but I had to break the dependency and dial back consumption big time, first!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spacegoddess
Stats: 160/137/123
Start Date: March 13 2012
Diet Soda fixer

I found that switching to a carbonated water helped alot! Now I don't even crave them. I will have when if I go out, but just sparkling water at home. I think I was addicted to the fizz....still am.... But now it's healthy...I hope this helps.

Melody

spacegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegoddess View Post
I found that switching to a carbonated water helped alot! Now I don't even crave them. I will have when if I go out, but just sparkling water at home. I think I was addicted to the fizz....still am.... But now it's healthy...I hope this helps.

Melody

Do you use a SodaStream? Or something similar?
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
thanks, Arctic Mama, for the heads up!

I am so jealous of you for living in Alaska. i stew in my own juices in any temp over 32 F. Also, if you do not mind my saying it, u look mighty fine! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TimTaylor
Stats: 243/220/143
Start Date: July 16, 2012
I do however have a diet Mountain dew occasionally and I have to say it tastes really good.
TimTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I was a 2 liter a day diet pepsi drinker. giving it up was the smartest decision to make.

now I am a 1/2 glass per day person of any caffeine free, diet soda. I do it for a taste change and chage from water.

hate tea, hate coffee, hate things like crystal light. so water mostly and 1/2 diet soda per day when the mood hits. sometimes 2 half glasses per day but rare.

I drink Diet Rite brand. no asparatme. that stuff does something to me. bleck.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Salad Spinner
Old post but fyi, our dentist told us the worst possible thing for our teeth is SODA! $2000 in dental repair on my sons teeth sure showed us its possible ~ he feels pop cans/bottles should have WARNINGS because they mess with our enamel. I never thought I could give it up but I did, cold turkey, (not for everyone) When you just can't live without something sometimes its best you do.
Salad Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: honeyrose29
Stats: 198/168/135
Start Date: 09/27/12
I think whether or not you need to limit your soda depends on your body. Me, I'm fine with all the tea, coffee, and diet soda that I want and my weight loss isn't affected. My husband on the other hand, his weight loss stops dead in it's tracks if he drinks more than 1 or 2 a week.

Luckily I've weaned myself off the diet soda and only have maybe half a can once a month. My weakness is tea.
honeyrose29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ShaneB
Stats: 339/288/210
Start Date: November 2012
I consistantly drink 2-3 cans of Diet Dr Pepper of Diet Mountain Dew and have no issues with weight loss. Maybe I am just lucky
ShaneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Do you use a SodaStream? Or something similar?
I just get a 12 pk of seltzer water....same thing as sparkling water, but in a can....
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
The more diet soda I drank, the more dependent I seemed to get to it. I finally kicked my habit as of the the first of the year with no problem. I needed to find a substitute though, so I went searching for something that would work. I like Zevia's ok, but they are about $1 per soda so this wasn't a good option. I came across the flavored seltzer waters and was so happy until I popped one open and tried to drink it. UGH! Tastes awful. Then I started thinking about the Zevia's again, and realized that they are like seltzer waters but sweetened with stevia. So there was my answer. I just put some liquid stevia drops into the selzter water. They cost less than 50 cents each. Happy girl!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
My name is Michelle and I am an addict, 10:42Am and i am on my second can. Probably 3 or 4 more before the day is over. I have stopped in the past( no difference weight wise), but for me i hate coffee, not a fan of tea, hate water! I lose better when i drink lots of water, i just hate it. during my first time i drank a couple gallons of water a day. i will get to it but i get very OCD about what i eat, some time to the point where i look a my food intake and find i have 1000 calories left at the end of the day. so i need to spend more time on eating and work on soda and water later. I say pick your battles
down 32 lbs since Jan 2013, packing and moving soon, this will be a challenge!

Goals:
lose 5 lbs per month (i think)
Drinking more water, Less diet soda
eat on plan as much as possible
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MissMerize
Stats: 220.8/212.4/142
WOE: Meat and Martini Diet, cycled with oopsie rolls
Start Date: February 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Prepare to be shocked...
I drink at least one two liter of coke zero every day. I've been steadily losing weight since September. I also have type 2 diabetes (under control) and I test my blood sugar every several hours and there is no impact. Sooooo, maybe I'm a bad example but it works for me.
That's a lot of soda per day! But good for you if it works and good job on the diabetes under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxware View Post
I too am addicted and drink way too much soda... I average 1 to 2 2L bottles a day (mainly diet coke and diet dr pepper).

I lost 30lbs on my low carb diet while drinking that much so its probably different for each person... just my opinion
Yep - going to depend on personal factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl81 View Post
Just to offer an alternative - im considering this when I start my Atkins.

I'm thinking of buying a Soda Stream - that carbinates the water and using the Davinci Syrups for flavoring.
Did you get one? My Soda Stream is my favorite thing of all time now - especially because of where I live. I'm on an island and had to wait 3 weeks to get it delivered (they won't fly it with the carbonation tank).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
I decided to give up all artificial sweeteners a couple of weeks ago - including diet sodas. It turned out to be easy - all I drink now is black coffee and water. Last night was a bit of an issue since it was my one day of having alcohol this month (I figure 1 day a month is OK), and I had no idea what to mix my vodka with - but I asked here, and plain soda water turned out to be the answer - ingredients just water, sodium bicarbonate and salt.
I love the plain club soda with cucumber vodka. It tastes sweet! And with the soda stream it is just tap water. The salt is removed which is an added benefit.

It tastes different if you try just plain soda as there are no additives, but I always mix something in for flavor.

My latest is getting the MIO style energy flavor bottles. I'm migrating toward cheaper brand and really excited over a citrus one that tastes like redbull.

Redbull and vodka is a beautiful thing. It completely disguises the flavor of plain vodka. But the redbull zero cans run over $2 a piece here where I live and that was getting a bit pricy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I remember where I read about the carbonation being a demon in diet soda.
It was in the Wheat Belly book by Dr. Davis.....He claims that the acid in the carbonation can disrupt the body's Ph and lead to weaker joints and other problems.
I saw something about this a few years back. I like my bubbles too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkillian View Post
I just found a soda called "Zevia" at my local Fry's food. It was in the natural food section and is sweetened with stevia. They have many flavors but more flavors are available on Amazon.
This sounds very promising! Now if they can make some mini flavors that can be squeezed into a drink I may be very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I like Zevia's ok, but they are about $1 per soda so this wasn't a good option. I came across the flavored seltzer waters and was so happy until I popped one open and tried to drink it. UGH! Tastes awful. Then I started thinking about the Zevia's again, and realized that they are like seltzer waters but sweetened with stevia. So there was my answer. I just put some liquid stevia drops into the selzter water. They cost less than 50 cents each. Happy girl!
This is what Ive been doing with the water enhancers. Massively cheaper, and takes up no space.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I have been drinking diet soda up to a few times a week (fountain soda containing aspartme) and use artifical sweeteners (splenda/ace k usually) in other products daily. I've lost over 30 lbs. in 3 months, over 10% of my starting weight. I have decided to cut out caffeinated diet sodas, because it may be affecting another medical condition. But it hasn't affected my weight loss, hunger level, or cravings.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Xexist
So assuming you dont want to give up the soda, which is the lesser of the evils?

160 calories per can of coke/pepsi/whatever? OR Artificial sweetner?
Xexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
I am addicted to Diet Code Red (Mountain Dew). It is cherry flavored and I put a can in the freezer for a few minutes to make a slushy. Wow, so good!
Lately I have been limiting to two or less per day. The caffeine is killing me.....
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
i am a slow loser; however, i have not noticed diet pepsi making a difference in either my cravings or my weight loss. i am not consistent with my pop intake, and my weight loss is super slow either way. i go weeks without the pop, and sometimes i'll have 2 in a day for a couple of days. when i've done meat/egg fasts, the diet pop didn't make me crave at all.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rwagner1
Stats: 286/276/200
Start Date: Feb 4th 2013
I drank 2 or 3 coke zero's a day until induction. I started drinking canned carbonated flavored water like La Croix. Hard for a week but after 3 weeks I am used to it.
rwagner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I drink about 3 cans a day and I've lost 100 lbs. It's a luxury item for me. I probably would do well to give up artificial sweeteners, gluten, and cheese too but some things make life worth living.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CjTitus
Stats: 172/130/120
WOE: Atkins 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl81 View Post
Just to offer an alternative - im considering this when I start my Atkins.

I'm thinking of buying a Soda Stream - that carbinates the water and using the Davinci Syrups for flavoring.
I love my SodaStream that I have had 3 years. I have the plain model Jet that can take either size of carbonator bottle. But as of March 1st they can no longer UPS the full bottles and will have to get the smaller carbonator from local merchants like Staples or WalMart for me. There are tons of places that exchange just not in the mountain area I live it. I have tried just about all the flavors but my favorite remains Diet Grapefruit. It tastes like the old Fresca soda. Also I found you have to use a lot of DeVinci syrups to work to taste in the water. I use the syrups for cooking and my coffee. I also like the carbonated water by itself, or with just a dash of lime or lemon juice. Diet Root beer is a treat in summer with a melon scoop of sugarless ice cream.
CjTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
It seems to me that most of my carbs are coming from my drinks. I can't seem to lose much weight so I'm dropping HWC and Splenda as my additives to water or diet drinks. And Crystal Light has 2 g. per bottle of water. So I have decided to go back to Sweet & Low at 0 g. and to add MIO drops to my water at 0 g. Also, dropping low carb tortillos. Starting tomorrow on a 5 day meat & egg run. I'll report back.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Nope, I just get 12 packs of sparkling seltzer water at the grocery store...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I get mineral water at the grocery store (Perrier usually, but occasionally San Pellegrino winds up being cheaper) and just add whatever I've got a taste for into that. My favorites are True brand's True Black Cherry Limeade (sweetened with Stevia) and Kroger brand's Mio knock offs because they have a blue raspberry flavor that reminds me so much of my favorite snow cones I can't have anymore!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
Make a pitcher of iced tea with a small amount of stevia....tasty flavors like from Celestials Seasonings (like Strawberry and Blueberry) already taste sweet. Not the same, but tasty and sooo much cheaper.
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
13 days ago i quit artificially sweetened gum (my stress reliever) and my occasional diet pop (3-5 cans/week), except for my morning coffee (splenda or stevia). i've lost 8 pounds during that time. i've never lost so much weight in one wack in my life! i've been lucky if i've lost 1 pound a week. even in the beginning of my weight loss, i lost no more than 2 pounds a week.

i'm seriously angry realizing this but also excited.

if you're not losing at a decent clip, i'd really consider lessening the artificial sweeteners. it's really not worth it if your body works like mine (PCOS, insulin resistant, obese as a child).

Last edited by jenericstewart; 03-23-2013 at 04:37 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
13 days ago i quit artificially sweetened gum (my stress reliever) and my occasional diet pop (3-5 cans/week), except for my morning coffee (splenda or stevia). i've lost 8 pounds during that time. i've never lost so much weight in one wack in my life! i've been lucky if i've lost 1 pound a week. even in the beginning of my weight loss, i lost no more than 2 pounds a week.

i'm seriously angry realizing this but also excited.

if you're not losing at a decent clip, i'd really consider lessening the artificial sweeteners. it's really not worth it if your body works like mine (PCOS, insulin resistant, obese as a child).
Way to go.....
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1233214234 View Post
Diet Coke makes some that are sweetend with splenda, instead of aspartame. They are in yellow boxes and cost like 1$ more, but totally worth it.

I live in North NJ, and I cannot find Diet Coke with Splenda in any of the supermarkets. Very frustrating! We do have Pepsi One, which is decent.

I've been trying to cut down on diet soda w/caffeine and aspartame, so I buy Waist Watchers or Diet Rite. As for flavored drinks, I buy 4C Totally Light mixes that have Splenda in them.
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ziva
Stats: 230/212/199/160/140
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: March 2013
I <3 Diet Coke....
ziva is offline   Reply With Quote