Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: britt_d
Stats: 215/207/160
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 2013
Stalled

Hi all,

I am in my 9th week of atkins and I have stalled . Any insight into what I may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated

Typical Day

Breakfast
2 large eggs sometimes with cheese, green pepper or onion

Lunch
6oz of chicken/4 oz of fish/3.5 oz of ground beef
Either one of those with 2 cups of spring mix salad & 1/4 cup of green pepper/1 cup broccoli/2/3 cup of green beans/6 brussel sprouts

Dinner is the same as lunch

For snacks
1 oz of almonds
2 oz of cheese

I also cook everything in either butter or olive oil but I have found it hard to get even 20g of carbs, I normally get between 10-16. Could that be the problem? I increase my calories last week after I found I was eating too few based on the cals I burned working out and was putting myself in starvation mode. I now get 1650-1850 a day, 62-70% fat, 24-29% protein and 2-5% carbs. I also drink about 120ozs of water and I'll have sparkling water flavored with splenda as well on most days no more than 8-10ozs but I've drank 32ozs in one day, is that too much?

I'll occasionally have 1 tbsp on Ken's Dressing since I know it has sugar in it but I feel it's low enough in the ingredients not to matter, has (.5g of sugar).

I also workout 4 days/week 30 mins of kickboxing and 30 mins of resistance training.

I've lost 3lbs since week 3 and about 4 inches (nothing recently though) What am I doing wrong? I know I have a lot of questions, thanks sooo much for your help!

Last edited by britt_d; 03-28-2012 at 12:45 PM..
britt_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
How long have you been stalled? Do you urine test? Are you in ketosis? If so, I wouldn't worry too much -- just give it a little time.

It's normal for weight-loss to slow, as you progress. It's also normal to "plateau" a few times.

Has there been any difference in your workout? (Say, perhaps upped the weights on your resistance training, or ready to?) Adding muscle weight will slow the change you see on the scales, though you're still losing fat. Heck -- my workout-partner and I would sometimes show weight GAIN after a particularly intense workout. Both of us, after the SAME workout.

A final consideration: If you're a woman, and you menstruate, your weight will likely rise a bit (or stop falling) the week before you're "due".

The KEY is whether you're still in ketosis...

And if you're NOT in Ketosis, try cutting back a bit on the nuts, onions, and broccoli. Onions in particular have "a lot" (relatively speaking for a salad vegetable) of carbs, and can sometimes kick you out if you over-do them.

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 03-28-2012 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Added stuff, rather than re-post
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cb1975
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 13, 2012
I had heard today that it s normal to stall on any diet six to eight weeks I as your body is adjusting. One way to get your metabolism and weight loss going again is to shock it with a cheat day. The theory is that your body gets used to the routine and becomes very efficient which reduces the weight loss or stalls. Another name is carb cycling. It might be with a try, you have nothing to lose. Just be careful not to go over board and fall off the wagon so to speak.
Cb1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotchick818
Stats: 213/203/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/5/14 Restart Low carb
Wow. This is perplexing. Your menu looks good to me, although cheese tends to stall some people. You're drinking plenty of water, so that's not it. The only thing that I can think of is that perhaps you are building muscle as a result of your toning exercises. Have you lost inches? If not, you may want to check out Dr. Atkins advice for metabolically resistant individuals. I believe he recommends a "fat blast" to shake up the metabolism.

I wish you the best of luck. Sounds like you've been doing everything right.
hotchick818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I've been stalled for 3 weeks now (no weight loss or inches) and I am still in ketosis, I did up the weights last week. Also I eat maybe 1/4 cup of onions a week maybe 4ozs of almonds and about 3ozs of cheese a day although some days I don't eat any, should I try cutting them out to see if that's the problem?

Cb1975 I have heard of carb cycling and have seen mixed responses about it some for it some against it, if I were to try it is there a particular amount/type of carbs I should "cheat" with?

hotchick818 Thanks, I have heard about the fat fast but was hesitant about trying it due to Dr. A saying it could be dangerous for anyone not metabolically resistant. Have you tried it?If so what were your results?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I'd try cutting out the suspect foods one at a time... Go nut-free for a few days, see what happens. Then go cheese-free, see what happens...

One thing that HAS helped me when I'm stalled is not to do the full fat-fast, but to come close... Cut back on the vegetable products, and increase the cream cheese and macadamias. (I'm weird. I don't seem to lose if I don't have nuts in my diet, so I eat them even on induction.)

I just checked "the book", and in talking about plateaus, Dr. Atkins mentions that prolonged dieting can affect Thyroid function and their T3 levels may be deficient. He suggests monitoring body temperature, and if it's consistently low, going to a doctor to get tested.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks I'll monitor my temp and I'm going to try a "modified" fat fast then cut of the nuts for a while. How many days have you done your version of the fat fast at once, I believe in the book it says 3-5 days, is that right?

Also should I use natural macadamias or are roasted and/or salted okay? I'm asking because in my area the natural ones are not cheap they are about $20 per lb.

Last edited by britt_d; 03-29-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Roasted & salted is FINE! When I'm being picky, I'll look at various bags of nuts (raw almonds vs roasted almonds) and choose the lower-carb... But what I've noticed is that roasting seems -- according to labels -- to CUT the carbs slightly. And... it only took me about 2 days to see the results (and boy were they nice results!)

It wasn't a true fat-fast -- I did NOT calorie restrict... I just cut out most plant-matter and upped the fat like crazy. Two days of it, and I was back on track and eating broccoli again. From there, I was able to carry on "like normal".
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I've noticed the same and wondered why lol. But I will give it a try over the weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cb1975
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Re carb cycling....I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think it's increasing you caloric and carbs with 'good' stuff, don't go and have cake or white bread, etc. you want to avoid things that my trigger you. Try increasing your good carbs with higher carb veggies i.e tomato sauce, or nuts and berries, Also increase your caloric intake. This type of method is used to get you out of a stall in other 'diets' as well. If and when I hit a stall for a few weeks, I a only three weeks in, I'll try this method. It switches things up just enough for you body to trigger a response.
Cb1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotchick818
Stats: 213/203/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/5/14 Restart Low carb
Hi Britt,

I agree that maybe you should try to skip the nuts or cheese and see what the results are. I haven't personally tried the fat fast so I can't personally attest to the results. This must be frustrating the heck out of you. I can tell you that cheese seems to slow my weight loss down a bit though. This week, I didn't make my LC cheesecake muffins and I lost a pound more than I did during the weeks that I was consistently eating them.

Hopefully you figure out what's going on soon

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...tterchick.html
hotchick818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Horsetrainer110
Stats: 189/177/140 then we'll see
Start Date: 1/15/03(then lost 96 lbs) 3/5/12 (now)
I would cut out cheese and nuts. Cut out HWC if you are using it. Actually, I would cut the veggies out too. I do Stillman's diet when I stall and that has ALWAYS worked for me.
Horsetrainer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Maybe your body is bored?

If youre diet is the same day after day, at the same calorie level, with the same percentage of fat/carbs/protein, your body adjusts to this level of eating and weight loss can slow/stop. That's what happens to me, regardless of what type of plan I'm on, even when I faithfully stick to the plan. Maybe shaking things up a bit would help?
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
hey britt, how did it go?
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: graciekelli
Stats: 233/212/150
Start Date: 2/17/12
My second post...but thought you should know.

I completely stalled on this plan for 3 weeks straight -- No weight loss! I followed the induction to a tee. No bad carbs have passed these lips for 9 weeks so far. I wanted to give up, I thought that maybe the plan isn't working for me anymore. But I like not craving food and wanting to eat all the time. So I stuck with it.....I didn't give up. I didn't change a thing...and.....a loss! Then a steady loss....I am happy to report I'm back into the weight loss swing. A total of 22 lbs. have come off in 9 weeks. I am very happy. My goal to lose 75 lbs is that much closer.

The morale to the story...Follow the plan. It works. Don't give up.

When you stall, drink more water and add a bit more exercise. Keep your chin up and it will come off.

Hope this helps.
graciekelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
Glad it worked out but remember that to be stalled you have to go 30 days with no weight loss and no inches lost.
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
He suggests monitoring body temperature, and if it's consistently low, going to a doctor to get tested.
I just found this, and wow! My temp has always run 97 to 97.2, even long before I started gaining all this weight. My regular doc seems fine with it, but it does throw off new nurses/techs when I forget to warn them first!

Also, not sure if it's related, but I've always hated hot weather and have no problem with short sleeves and no coat when the temp is in the low 40s or even mid-30s. My arms will even feel warm to the touch!

Can this actually affect metabolism, and contribute to the five-week plateau I'm hopefully nearing the end of?

Encouraging a food addict to "just have one treat, so you'll stay motivated and on track" is like encouraging an alcoholic to just have one drink so they won't fall off the wagon.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote