Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lessofmesoon!
Diet Soda/ Bars on Atkins?

Hi Guys! Trying Atkins for the first time. I've been at it for 6 days now - I lost 4 pounds in the first 24 hours (!) and nothing since - I'm probably expecting too much too soon. Then I blew it last night when I was watching TV in my cozy bed and my son crawled in there with me with a king size box of goldfish crackers (one of my biggest weaknesses). How bad is that gonna set me back? I didnt eat the whole box or anythig, just a couple of servings, but I felt like CRAP and had an upset stomach this morning.

Anyway, what's your personal experience with diet soda and the Atkins bars in induction? I love the Atkins bars, but could give them up if I have to. Diet Dr Pepper is another story entirely - every time I've ever tried to give it up I have felt like I was hit by a truck for several days and eventually started drinking it again - I don't like coffee or tea, so I can't switch to that. I mean to the point where I would die of thirst before I would drink coffee. I only drink a couple of cans of the DDP per day...do I have to give them up for this to work?

I also quit smoking a few weeks ago and just got off the zoloft train 2 weeks ago, so that may be messing with my metabolism, too.

How much difference does exercise make?
lessofmesoon! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: matt1898
Stats: 315/268/200- 6'1
WOE: Atkins Induction. Strictly by the book
Start Date: Doing for myself. 5/31/2012
Atkins bars? I don't know. I've never lost weight while eating them and attempting induction. But at the time I wasn't as strict as I am now.

Diet sodas? I totally quit them has of 1 week ago....looks like I've dropped 5 lbs, and I've only been drinking water or using a sugar free drink mix sweetener. Its kind of sad cause I have absolutely no desire for my beloved Diet Mt. Dew. LOL.
I would say to drop the atkins bars and soda, diet as clean as possible, no sugar, the allowed net servings of carbs from green veggies, and ( in my case) drop caffeine. Its lots of fat....and a moderate amount of protein. I've been rocking the egg and chicken salads all week! Great stuff!
matt1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
Atkins bars are the only thing that kept me sane during induction. That and diet sodas helped me through induction. Now I don't need the Atkins bars everyday like I used to. I still drink diet sides / drinks everyday. It's all about what works for you . If you let people they will always refer back to the Atkins book and tell you what has worked for them . But ultimately it's up to you to find why works for ya .... Good luck !!! This woe had helped me to get to my goal weight!!
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustPeachy
Stats: 242/216/155
Start Date: Nov. 2011
We switched to all the Zero cola drinks and that has helped me tremendously. I have 3 boxes of the bars in the pantry and although I like them, I don't remember them very often. I really love having a shake in the morning though for breakfast! Sometimes when I want to up my protein I have 2 but it's almost too much sometimes. I don't feel guilty and they keep me totally full until lunchtime or later.
JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Norsky
Stats: 236/197/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2012
Atkins bars-careful with certain ones...

Hey there! Great you're doing induction esp with little ones that can be hard! Diet soda didn't affect me during induction but some of the Atkins bars(endulge especially,) have maltitol/maltitol syrup as the sweetner in addition to splenda. Splenda is fine during induction, maltitol(worst/most "carby" of the sugar alcohols with very high glycemic index and worst GI side effects,) is not! Original Atkins said stay away from most/all of the sugar alcohols during induction. If you're going to use them, make sure it's either erythritol-glycemic index of 0 or xylitol with glycemic index of 7. I kept stalling my second week of induction and didn't know what was doing it until I read about maltitol and then found it in some(not all) of my Atkins bars. I was also getting wicked carb cravings with those bars SO I cut out those offenders and BAM- suddenly down 3.5 lbs in 2 days. As for the goldfish, meh, as long as you get back on induction, you've already experienced the carb hangover from the crackers, it's not worth it!!! Good luck and stick with it, the 2 week loss and energy boost from induction is worth it. You'll find that in a few weeks, you won't even crave the goldfish anymore.
Norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lessofmesoon!
Thanks for the replies!

And thanks for the support! I got right back on the program, and I am in ketosis according to the test strips, and not craving sweets/carbs like i was. Cut the bars back to 1 every couple if days, still fighting that internal battle with myself over the diet sodas. It feels so good, though, to NOT have to fight the cravings all the time. I used to wake up obsessing about food and couldnt wait to cram pop tarts or starbucks treats or something awful in my mouth. And at night, fuhgedaboudit - I could NOT STOP binge eating. That's gone. I dont really seem to be losing weight or inches yet, but just having control over what I put in my body is such a huge relief. I know the rest will come - it's a marathon not a sprint.
lessofmesoon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustPeachy
Stats: 242/216/155
Start Date: Nov. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessofmesoon! View Post
... it's a marathon not a sprint.
And this is the key to success! Just keep that foremost in your mind, and you will be there before you know it.
JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leigh09
I used to be quite hooked on diet Coke. I found that my tastes have changed quite a bit on Atkins, after about a month I can't even stand the taste of diet pop. It tastes too sweet and somewhat metallic. I used to adore it, now I think it's gross. This was not intentional as I would keep them in to fridge to combat sweet cravings. It just happened.

It never seemed to effect my weight loss. I am certain it is better for me not to drink them though. Certainly cheaper.

As for the exercise - that makes a tremendous difference for me. However, with that said, you have made a significant number of changes in a short time. Maybe keep up with the ones you've made before working on some more changes. Cheers to you on quitting smoking, zoloft, and working on eating better. That is a lot to tackle in one shot.
leigh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe>A&F
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
Hello lessofmesoon! (I like the username!) ... I'm of the school of thought that excercise will always be benificial. Even just a short jog here & there or whatever you can manage. I tend to do about 45mins cardiovascular a day but that's built up from 20mins a day gradually over time.

Get into the 'zone' of doing exercise and soon your body will crave it!

I drink diet drinks mainly with mixers so that I can drink alcohol without getting destroyed by carbs! (I get a bit wound up when diet cola is the ONLY diet drink they serve in most bars..) I'm like leigh09 and also think that diet coke is a bit metallic and not very nice

Last edited by Joe>A&F; 03-23-2012 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: I got someone's username wrong..
Joe>A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe>A&F
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
OH PS. the best atkins bar (bar far!!!!!) are those chocolate coconut bars (like Bounty - although I dont know if you have that over in the States)
SO GOOD!
Joe>A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
You have the right mindset, and it sounds like you are doing great ! I agree about the goldfish, ( aren't they good?) If you get right back on track it shouldn't de-rail you . And I always have tummy troubles after carbs, ugh.....

I was a coke drinker big time too.. but even if you drink 1-2 diet ones a day, you will probably have less desire for them as time goes by.

I never did the atkins bars cause I just prefer a plate of big ole' food

Good Luck !
Laura
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
I have never lost weight using Atkins bars. I have maintained... it's better than eating a chocolate bar IMO, but I don't expect to lose weight if I'm eating them.

as for diet sodas... it's recommended to keep artificial sweeteners below 3 servings a day. including diet sodas AND splenda etc. I felt a lot better once I subbed my diet drinks with club soda and lime juice, and kept Splenda to 2-3 packets a day in my coffee.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
OK, now I'm completely confused and frustrated. Everywhere in here and elsewhere I hear and read that net carbs are total carbs minus fiber. Just got my free Atkins bars in the mail that some awesome LCF linked in here, and the label on the choc-peanut butter one reads 22 total carbs minus 10 of dietary fiber.

Splashed on the front it reads TWO total net carbs!!??! What is this? Sounds like an easy way to go far overboard while thinking you're staying on target. No wonder people either stall or start gaining on them if the label is that misleading! Were these out and similarly labeled when he was still running the show?

It was very good tasting though! Would be paradise if it was completely safe and allowed, and also didn't inspire the bad cravings. Which it hasn't yet for me despite being the first remotely sweet thing I've had even a bite of since Jan. 31, but I'm sure going to follow the veterans' lead in here and proceed with caution.

Still, though, what's up with that math?
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
I love the bars.....the nut rolls! How about atkins shakes?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JewnBug
Stats: 206.8/198.4/140
Start Date: March 2012
I don't lose weight when eating the bars, personally. If I'm prepared to stay put weight-wise but NEED the sweetness, I'll have one.

And I cut out pop entirely about 2 months before starting Atkins. I'm not a big pop drinker by nature, even if it is diet/zero. Stick with water and coffee if you can - if you're having troubles with water, a trick to help it go down easier: a straw! (seriously, it really does help some people)

best of luck
JewnBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JewnBug
Stats: 206.8/198.4/140
Start Date: March 2012
oh, and about the bars and the confusing carb count - it's because of ingredients like glycerin which isn't considered a food so it can't be reduced from the original carb count (or something to that extent)

go with the number on the FRONT of the package.
JewnBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I think going with the number on the front of the package is what gets people into trouble as it's net carbs, not total carbs, and things like sugar alcohols are subtracted when for many they act just like regular sugar.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahNV82
Stats: 240/236/160
Start Date: 04/06/2010
Iv heard some people do alright with them but iv never been able to eat them and lose weight... Maybe one once in a great while as a treat but i wouldnt make it a habit.
SarahNV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sschutte
Stats: 186/177.4/135
WOE: LOW CARB/HHCG
Start Date: May 26 2014
My body doesnt like sugar alcohols!! I took a week without eating them and I lost almost a pound and a half more that week. The shakes are ok. I have my diet lime coke every other day.

MMMMMM
sschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotchick818
Stats: 213/203/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/5/14 Restart Low carb
OMG the chocolate coconut bars are sinfully delicious. Interestingly enough, I've found that if I eat one in the morning for breakfast instead of at 3pm for my afternoon snack, it won't slow my weight loss. This really is trial and error. You've got to find the right "cocktail" of low carb foods that your body responds to.
hotchick818 is offline   Reply With Quote