Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cathywhite4495
What am I doing wrong?!?

Hi All!
First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your posts. I've learned so much by reading the threads on this site.
I'm in my 4th week of Atkins induction. I'm doing the extended induction because I have about 60-70 pounds to lose. I'm 5'1" and currently at 191 pounds.
My difficulty is that I'm not losing much weight. I started at 193.5 and I keep wavering between 190-192 in the last 2-3 weeks. I have gone down in size and can now fit in some pants that were too tight for me when I started. I am very happy about losing size and of course I do value size over the number on the scale. With that said, I'm really fighting some feelings of depression when the scale doesn't move. As much as I tell myself that it's OK because my clothes are looser, I still feel like I'm failing.
Here's some background - I've been a regular exerciser for 1 1/2 years. About 5 weeks ago I decided to change my routine a bit by increasing my weight workout. I planned to also start running but I experienced some severe ankle and knee pain in the second week and decided to focus on speed walking instead. I currently walk 3 days a week for 30 minutes and do 2 weight workouts (P90x) for 1 hour each time.
I was a low fat, whole grains, mostly vegetarian girl until deciding to try low carb. I read the New Atkins for a New You and have been following that. My first week I was eating an Atkins bar a day but then read on the forums (thanks!) that the bars can stall weight loss so I stopped. I've also cut back on dairy quite a bit and will only have 1-2 ounces 2 or 3 times per week. I don't have any caffeine (makes me jittery!) and I rarely have any artificial sweeteners - a maximum of 1 Splenda packet about twice a week in decaf coffee as a treat.
I log ALL my food in ****** so I know I'm not eating any hidden carbs. I haven't gone over 20g ever and I usually end up around 17-18g. Almost all of my carbs are foundation vegetables except for my occasional cheese and shrimp. I only eat when I'm hungry and I stop when I'm almost but not quite full.
According to ******, I'm averaging 1700 calories per day and burning 2400. I'm getting a little over 100 g of protein per day (average).
Why am I not losing weight? I know there's a period of muscle building but does it really last for a month?!? Do I need to cut calories? I could cut some fat but from what I've read we're not supposed to do that. I could eat less but I'll be hungry since I'm only eating enough to satisfy my hunger at this point.
My energy is up and I feel better. My clothes are looser. I should be happy with this progress but I admit I'm close to tears! I don't know if the changes are just because of the change in exercise or if this new woe is actually working. I've tried to lose weight the old way (low fat and counting calories) for more than 15 years and have had limited success. I was really hoping that low carb would make it happen. I'm scared that I'll always be fat no matter what I do!
Thank you in advance for any feedback you can give!
cathywhite4495 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hhatred
WOE: Atkins NDR
From what you have said, it is working. Don't get down. Forget the past. You control the future. I once hit a plateau weight-wise for over a month, and then whammmmmo. Stop weighing yourself, keep drinking lots of water and no alcohol. Remember, no diet works after you stop doing it. That is not the diet failing, it is you stopping the diet. Focus on making the changes you have made permanent in your mind. Your mind is the only problem here. You are getting healthier, period. The rest will fall into place. You can be proud of your effort now, and your accomplishments later. Soon you will not be able to ignore them.

Bruce Lee once said, while talking about Zen: The destination is not the thing. The journey really is.
hhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: painter63
I'm having the same problem. I think I may have a thyroid issue going on, so I'm trying to be more careful of foods with ingredients such as soy proteins. I'm not giving up though.
painter63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for your feedback! I had a complete physical right before starting so I know my thyroid is OK. I wanted to get some starting numbers for cholesterol and general blood work.
I think I'm second guessing myself because it almost feels too good to be true! I've been depriving myself, hungry and cranky for many years now and it feels weird to be eating good satiating food. I'm going to keep working the program and not stress about the scale.
I read recently that instead of using a scale, people on low carb woe should use clothes as a scale. So, I'm going to buy a pair of jeans in my next lower size and try them on once a week. I'll use them to measure my progress instead of the scale.
I keep reminding myself that I feel so much better in general. My mind is sharper and I have much more energy than before. I also usually have really bad eczema this time of year but my skin has stayed smooth and isn't itchy!
Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Well, I'm throwing in the towel. I haven't lost any more weight or lowered my fat percentage since my last post. I think the changes I experienced were due to my increased exercise and had nothing to do with diet. I've become extremely depressed to the point where it's hard to function. I had such high hopes for this. I haven't cheated even once. I've searched for why I'm not losing weight and read the common reasons people stall or don't lose and I'm not doing any of them. Even with the traditional calorie deficit model I should be losing at least 1 pound a week.
I can't lose with the traditional low fat diet either. I was doing that one for years before switching to Atkins. Even with low fat, I didn't eat any white flour or sugar. I only ate whole grains, lots of veggies and 1-2 pieces of fruit per day. I didn't lose.
I've become convinced that I'm just a fat person and nothing I can do will change it. The only time I haven't been fat is when I was in high school and starved myself. I don't think I can do that again so I'll just have to accept being fat.
I've read the studies and know that people drop out of low carb. I used to think it was because they didn't like the restricted food choices but I'm now questioning if it's because it just doesn't work for some people?
I genuinely wish all of you good luck. I am happy for those of you able to lose on this woe! I hope you continue to have success. As for me, I'll keep exercising and try to learn to accept my size.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
I'm getting a little over 100 g of protein per day (average).
That doesn't seem like enough protein.
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bittles79
Stats: 260/246.5/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 24, 2012
Cathy, P90X is a muscle boosting exercise program. since muscle weighs more than fat, you are probably gaining muscle. Weight loss will be slower. try doing more aerobic exercise and less use less weights if the numbers bother you.
Bittles79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathywhite4495 View Post
I've become extremely depressed to the point where it's hard to function.
Have you talked to a professional about this? Depression and hormonal balance issues could be a major reason why you're not losing.
I highly suggest you speak to your doctor about this aspect.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetie_pie
Stats: 249.5/228/165
WOE: Atkins / low carb
Start Date: May 2010/re-start Feb 20. 2012
Something can't be right. I would also talk to your doctor. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors are against this woe, so you might find resistance there.

I think that your exercise has something to do with this. You sound like a very energetic individual, and I would guess that you have a very slow metabolism.

I'm sorry that you are struggling with this. But, everyone has to find the plan that works for them. I wish you luck.
sweetie_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shaunbeatscarbs
Stats: 268/243
WOE: low-carb
Start Date: March 26, 2010
hi there...my personal experience was that when i extended induction, i stalled out big time..so i introduced berries and nuts and boom! weight loss resumed...after a while i stalled again so i took the newer foods back out and weight loss resumed. i figure my body had become used to what i was doing and trying different foods shocked my system.
shaunbeatscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilacbaby
CathyWhite I'm sorry you are having trouble. Maybe Atkins is not for everyone? I just started so I can't speak for it with confidence yet, but maybe trying something new? If you're interested, I have a friend that sells Herbalife. Have you heard of it/ever try it? I lost some weight with it way back when and it's all natural herbal supplements and shakes. The reason I won't do it now is because I'm not big on the shakes for weight loss, but since you're being so strict with Atkins you may do well with it - it's basically shakes twice a day and 1 full meal - whatever you want. You also take vitamin supplements that help speed up metabolism, break down fats/proteins and curb appetite. She can explain it to you better than I can - if you're interested, I can give you her information and you can call she'll walk you through it - just something to consider as an option if you're not losing on traditional diets.
But you should definitely give Atkins a bit longer to work, especially if you're losing dress sizes. And like the posts above say, muscle weighs more than fat so you should take that into consideration. Don't get down about this - please remember that positive attitude is a big part of weight loss so if you are negative and depressed about your weight loss it may not happen because you are mentally blocking yourself from having good results, but if you are positive and know that it will happen even if it takes some time, you will lose guaranteed.
If you have time, read "The Secret" and you will understand what I mean about positive attitude, positive thoughts bringing about positive results.
The very best of luck to you!!!
lilacbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leigh09
You are doing amazing with your dedication to this diet. One tip I have read from someone who successfully lost 100+ pounds is to get rid of your scale. This helps me tremendously. Bring it out once a month or so, maybe even less.

I would get up in the a.m. and first thing I'd do is weigh myself. That moment defined my entire day. And it wasn't good - If I was up, it was bad. If I was down, it was good but also sometimes an excuse to smudge up my diet. If I was the same, obviously the diet wasn't working. and etc.

I found it extremely difficult to stop weighing myself when I have been doing it daily for literally over 10 years. (and defining myself, my mood, my day, etc by this number) But there is great freedom in it. I know I eat well, I know I exercise, and I know my clothes are looser.

And when I do break it out, there is a much larger loss than the 0.2 or whatever other change I might see from one day to the next. Then it's worth celebrating
leigh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
CathyWhite, sorry to read of your frustrating time! But it sounds by your first post that all the right things are happening; maybe if you just pushed through this early roadblock things will start progressing on the scale as well as they are within your body and your health?

Also, have you had a physical lately, or discussed this with your doctor? There could be something medical going on that's blocking the actual numbers from changing, although your much healthier eating choices and activity are improving your overall health as they should?

Best of luck, and please don't throw it in too soon! Whatever you're doing now is obviously having positive effects, so it can only help you be ready to make the most of it when you do unlock the scale mystery.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitness_Kitty
Stats: Lost over 200 lbs..20 more to go for final goal.
WOE: Atkin's Induction & 70's version
Start Date: April 2011
Very sorry to hear, but I totally understand. I also work out like crazy and when I didnt see the scale move for weeks, I gave up and switched to Fat Smash, yes I lost weight, but I was STARVING all day! lol. So now I am back to Atkins. I think switching it up maybe be good for us, but I do also know if we stick with it we usually get a "woosh", it's just so hard waiting
Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Fitness_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe>A&F
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
I wouldn't reccommend switching between diets/ways of eating...
that can lead to some complications. Flipping your body in and out of Ketosis is more dangerous than you then. best to stay in it as much as possible
Joe>A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
I have only had success with JUDDD - I think its the alternating caloric intake (I also try to keep to LC foods all the time but this WOE gives me more leeway with carbs) that keeps my body guessing and I am losing between 2-4lbs per week with only "dieting" 3-4 days a week. It seems to be all I needed to break out of this 2 year long Atkins plateau. I love how LC makes me feel - energetic, even blood sugar, stable moods, less getting sick, the list goes on and on and I truly feel it is the healthiest way to eat but I wasn't losing and I was getting discouraged and that led me to cheat - making it a self-fullfilling prophecy that I would gain or not lose. This way I can not be absolutely perfect but still lose. Down days (DDs) are hard but worth it as I lose about a lb of fat each DD. I am noticing my clothes finally getting looser. There is a JUDDD group on this board if you want to check it out. Some of us still follow Atkins and JUDDD together to get results and feel our best. I do that but have a truly "free day" every so often to keep me motivated emotionally w/food and not suffer diet burnout. There's only so many days I can go not partaking in what the rest of my family is eating. Call me weak, that's just the way it is. I have been on Atkins over 2 years and sometimes I get tired of watching my family eat whatever they want and not gain an oz. (grrrr). So this is my way of dealing with that little tidbit of my social life. We eat out 3-4x/wk. I had to learn to deal with that and not feel deprived. It's working well for me. I lost 5 lbs the first week, 3lbs this week...I haven't even done it perfectly. Its nice to see things moving in the downward direction again. I don't even hold to the 20%, my intake is closer to 35% on DDs. I find it much more forgiving for the effort I put forth.

-Michelle
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!

Last edited by Buttercup204; 03-24-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
guys I think Cathy is long gone by now
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xdunlapx
Stats: 379/366/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/17/12
I have to say that cutting fat out of your diet is going to derail you and could even cause you to gain weight on a low carb diet. You need 60-70% of your calories to come from fat in your diet, whether it's fatty meat or lean meat cooked in oil or butter, or adding butter to veggies, etc... Maybe someone will benefit from what I posted here even if the original poster is long gone.
xdunlapx is offline   Reply With Quote