Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickitung
Coconut Oil? Does it help you get into Ketosis faster?

I've read a bunch of stuff about how the MCTs in Coconut Oil help speed up ketosis and actually reach ketosis faster. Then I've also read contradicting information that says, since MCTs are treated similar to carbs, they're digested and used for energy before other fats, so you won't be burning off your fat stores. Instead you'll be burning off the MCTs first.

Can anyone clear this up?
Lickitung is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: StephanieK
Stats: 430/370/Decide when I get there
WOE: Mostly Vegan/Vegetarian Whole Foods
Start Date: 2/3/2014
Check out Dr. Michael Eade's latest blog post for an explanation and a key to avoiding the Induction flu. I restarted Induction yesterday but am doing it totally differently than all the other previous times. It's the fat that is the key not the protein. Fat is where it's at.

Quote:
In the last post we discussed ramping up the fat intake as the single best way to hurry the low-carb or keto adaptation along. I didn’t mention it in the previous post, but another little secret is to keep an eye on the protein intake. Too much protein will prevent the shift into ketoses because the liver will convert some of the protein into glucose – this glucose will then be used first and slow down the ketogenic process. Which, if course, prompts the question, how much protein is too much? As long as you’re getting your protein from meat, especially fatty cuts of meat, you’re probably okay. If you go for the extremely lean cuts of meat, say, skinless chicken breasts, or if you are supplementing your diet with low-fat protein shakes, you could have a little more trouble low-carb adapting. If you’re going the shake route, I would recommend you add some coconut oil to the shakes for a couple of reasons. First, you’ll hasten the keto-adaptation, and, second, the fat it coconut oil will help remove the fat from your liver (which I’ll discuss more later in this post).

As I said, you need to really crank up the fat intake to push yourself over the adaptation divide as quickly as possible. If you don’t like fatty cuts of meat, you can add a little medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) to your diet. MCT are absorbed more like carbohydrates and are used quickly by the body. They are almost never incorporated into the fat cells, so they burn quickly, and any extra that might be hanging around are converted to ketones. So, MCT will drive the ketone production process. And so will coconut oil if you prefer that.
StephanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickitung
So from what I understand it's not the coconut oil as much as it is the MCTs in the coconut oil that produce ketones which burn fat and artificially bring on ketosis in a way.

Thanks Stephanie
Lickitung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

That's it. This induction time has been totally different that all the previous times as far as being able to actually stick to the plan as written without feeling like crud or wanting to put the hurt on someone at the end of the day. I barely had any induction flu symptoms.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Hi Stephanie. I'm very interested in your comments about Induction being different for you this time with more fat. Would you mind sharing a bit more information about your macros and maybe a sample days worth of meals/snacks?

Thanks!!

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I'm just following the guidelines from Atkins.com for the most part. I start my day off with a tablespoon each of coconut oil and heavy cream in my coffee. I am allergic to eggs so breakfast is just leftovers with some kind of healthy fat, an ounce of cheddar cheese, and water.

Lunch is usually 4 oz of meat, a good salad with some olive oil and Duke's mayo, if in the mood some approved cooked veggie. Same for supper.

I also occasionally have a cup of coffee mid afternoon with the coconut oil and heavy cream. After the first day, my appetite has been under control. I'm not hungry between meals. I allowed myself 30 net grams so that the nerves wouldn't be so bad as I usually am very irritable by the end of the day on 20 g carbs. I'm doing good to get in my 20 net carbs right now.

This time around, I'm not eating processed meats and over doing the dairy fats. I'm also not falling for the lowcarb frankenfood trap right now. I'm just eating real whole foods. I am also getting my carbs from the foundational vegetables. The only side effects I had this time was the um, clean out effect of too much coconut oil eaten at a single sitting. It's self limiting, at least for me. :blush:

So a typical day goes like this:

B - Coffee with cream and coconut oil
1 oz cheddar cheese stick
2-3 oz Rotisserie Chicken with Dukes mayo (just enough to kill hunger)

L - Hamburger Salad - just a hamburger without the bun salad. You know lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, mayo

D - 4-5 ounce chicken,
Broccoli w/ cheese and butter
small salad with real full fat dressing.

Snacks if hungry are usually a cheese stick, a few bites of meat and a little either mayo, olive oil, etc.

My motivation is primarily health reasons this time around. I refuse to go on meds if simply changing my diet will do the trick. It's working as my blood sugars have dropped 82 points in one week. I'm thankful that this time around I actually feel good going through induction instead of the dreaded days of induction flu that I've experienced every other time.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I've seen people refer to frankenfoods before...what exactly are you referring to with that term?
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I've seen people refer to frankenfoods before...what exactly are you referring to with that term?

Processed packaged foods such as Atkins bars & shakes, Slim Jims, Vienna Sausages, deli lunchmeats etc. Whole foods are meat, veggies, dairy etc.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Hello, I have been on Atkins web site since May. Everyone was eating the CO. Some were making candy with it. I started Atkins diet 72 in March. When I found the Atkins web site in mid may I joned the site. I did the CO. I ate from the new nany. I have lost 5 morn pounds. I have yet to understand.
I'm here now and glad :-) CO I dont know. I know I was up to 6 tablespoons a day..
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
I don't know how to use this site, yet! I earlier posted a new thread. I can not find my thread? Any help?
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Celtic.Ravens
Stats: 364.5/326/185 ~ 6'1" / DD 225.5/195.5/175 ~ 6'
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 22, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
I don't know how to use this site, yet! I earlier posted a new thread. I can not find my thread? Any help?
Hey! Here's a link to your thread:

I was on nany. Stopped losing, need help
Also, if you click on User Control Panel you can look at all of your threads under Statistics on your Profile.

This is a great place to find support & any info you need. I'm reading through older threads & finding tons of great suggestions/info.

Nessa
Celtic.Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karendfw
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat/Moderate Protein
Start Date: May 2012
Is coconut oil liquid? I bought some but it is solid. Is that what you are all using?
Karendfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Coconut oil is solid below about 76F and liquid above that. It's mostly a saturated fat so it's solid at room temp.

Mary Enig is all about coconut oil in Eat Fat, Lose Fat. She's got nothing but good things to say about it. Some people may be allergic due to something in there, with a way around it that I forget offhand. I wasn't using it much, but I've added about 2 tbsp before each meal after reading that book a couple weeks ago.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieK View Post
Check out Dr. Michael Eade's latest blog post for an explanation and a key to avoiding the Induction flu. I restarted Induction yesterday but am doing it totally differently than all the other previous times. It's the fat that is the key not the protein. Fat is where it's at.
Thank you for the Eades info. I now see I am drinking a lot of lower fat protein shakes and eating too many cuts of lean meat. I added in coconut oil to my shake this morning. Hopefully I will get into ketosis and get some true appetite suppression now.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingthere
coconut oil ketosis

Hi everyone, well im been doing a lot of research on coconut oil so of course i purchased some. I had 4 tablespoons a day and ketosis stick went purple next day. Then i added some CLA tablets (conjugated linoleic acid and green tea leaf extract the next day plus coconut oil checked my ketosis with kstick only to discover that i was not in ketosis anymore, now im wondering did the CLA tablets and green tea leaf extract tablets negate what the coconut oil does, im confused but i will go back to just coconut milk again and see if i actually lose weight on just that and if i dont then i will add the other two. Can anyone give me any suggestions or does anyone know if adding cla stop co from doing its job. Also i have to say i feel fantastic on this virgin coconut oil cold pressed stuff. I wake up in the morning and feel good, not tired like i usually do. I dont crave sweets, feel fuller and more satisfied, i have more energy. Im also using it as a skin care moisturiser now all i need it to do is help me shed those unwanted kilos. Bye the way im new, greetings to all.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kyleesmom
Stats: 286/276.6/160
Start Date: 11/05/12
Does coconut oil have a shelf life? I have some that I have probably had for more than a year, just left in the cupboard, not refrigerated. I'm scared to use it, not sure if it goes rancid. Anybody know?
kyleesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ebeads
Stats: yikes/tryingmybest/ihopeihope
Start Date: restart May 10,2012
It is good for at least 2 years. You could notice bad taste if it has gone bad.
ebeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kyleesmom
Stats: 286/276.6/160
Start Date: 11/05/12
Thanks..I tried it and it tastes fine to me
kyleesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbkim
Stats: 185.5/178.5/129
Start Date: 10/17/2011
I love coconut oil. I have used it for years to take off my make up, as a lotion and I use it in my hair before washing. I have also known for years that it is really good for a person to have a couple of tablespoons daily. I have just never did it. I will start tonight though after reading this thread. Kim
lowcarbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 159/149/115 5'5''
WOE: atkins/lowcarb
Start Date: 10/2/11
I have used coconut oil a few years ago because of all the health benefits I learned about, and ended up not sticking to it. I started adding it to my coffee a few days ago and noticed that I was feeling very anxious, as if I had too much caffeine. I tried it the next day and had the same thing happen. Today I did not add it to my coffee and I felt fine... not sure why this could happen. I was hoping to use it to up my fat intake but oh well! I have heard that it can really help to burn fat as a thermogenic so if it works with your body that is great!
sugarfree_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfree_princess View Post
I started adding it to my coffee a few days ago and noticed that I was feeling very anxious, as if I had too much caffeine. I tried it the next day and had the same thing happen. Today I did not add it to my coffee and I felt fine...
Maybe you could try it in a cup of caffeine free coffee?
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 159/149/115 5'5''
WOE: atkins/lowcarb
Start Date: 10/2/11
Good point! Maybe I will try that!
sugarfree_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Stephanie,

That's interesting information, and may explain why I gained weight when I did the Leptin Reset. Too much protein.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote