Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kate1978
Stats: (242)235/221/170
WOE: <20 net carbs daily
Start Date: April 2011
Yogurt kicking me out of ketosis?

Question. I have been staying under 20 net carbs for the past 6 weeks on Atkins, and occasional ketosis strip testing has indicated that I remain in ketosis (yes, I know they aren't perfect).

Last week, I added back yogurt to my diet - specifically, Fage Total (6 net carbs, no added anything). I use a little of Starbucks' "sugar-free" caramel syrup to flavor it (it's the same as DiVinvi's syrup, no carbs, sweetened with splenda). I have been eating 1 per day for the past week and have stayed under about 15 total carbs a day every day.

My weight went up 1 lb this week, and today the ketosis strips (yes, I know they aren't perfect) says I am no longer in ketosis?!? Is it possible that yogurt can kick you out of ketosis without any change in carbs? There are no other changes to my diet, although I did exercise a lot more than normal this past week (trying to get the garden in order for the summer).

Thoughts?
Kate1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: harv681
Stats: 150/122/118
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: October 2010
Yes, well, Maybe

I have had the same experience...I had some leg cramps and thought I was lacking calcium. I found a terrific greek style yogurt (24 grams of protein!), added no-carb flavoring and a bit of splenda for a yummy treat, and my weight loss stalled! From what I have read, yogurt every day can cause a stall in weight loss...so I have had to cut the yogurt back to twice a week and get calcium from additional "green leafies" and cheese.
harv681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kate1978
Stats: (242)235/221/170
WOE: <20 net carbs daily
Start Date: April 2011
Thanks. I've decided to seriously cut back on the yogurt to once or twice a week, and see if that helps.
Kate1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
I get the same effect from eating greek yogurt every day. It throws me out of ketosis and I gain weight (1-2pounds). For this reason, I try not to eat it every day. Some days, I whip up HWC and fix it like I would yogurt...other days, I have chocolate, or my home made cookies.
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WendyWanders
Stats: 467/300/200 5'10"
WOE: generic low carb
Start Date: March 2010
Every day, sometimes more than once a day, I eat a mix of full fat yogurt, cream and sour cream. I have it with berries and Splenda/erythritol/stevia. I have lost more than 150 pounds in the last 15 months. I have never used a ketosis strip.
WendyWanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Wendy
that's really interesting. Good for you I noticed that yogurt fills up my tummy so much that I feel like I just ate an elephant (after eating just 1/2C). Does it have the same effect on you?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WendyWanders
Stats: 467/300/200 5'10"
WOE: generic low carb
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonika View Post
Wendy
that's really interesting. Good for you I noticed that yogurt fills up my tummy so much that I feel like I just ate an elephant (after eating just 1/2C). Does it have the same effect on you?
Ummmm...I am full, but not uncomfortably so. Since my version is so high fat, it is VERY satiating and satisfying

Here's what I ate while losing weight. Pretty darn heavy on the dairy. I guess I am lucky

My low carb menu vault « Wendy Usually Wanders
WendyWanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pearldrop
Stats: 165/119.2/121 (5'4") Goal reached: 26/12/2011
WOE: Atkins Induction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonika View Post
Wendy
If you have such after effects, there is a good chance that you are lactose intolerant (You can read more from here: Lactose Intolerance Symptoms: Bloating, Cramps, Gas, Vomiting, & More )

Try the elimination diet, eliminate the dairy products for minimum 2 weeks to see if your weight loss rate increased.

Cheers,
Pearldrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

PearlDrop thanks for your comment. I 'vebeen tested for lactose intolerance and it came out negative...However, it was more than a year ago and the doctor wasn't my fave person in the world. I may have the test done again by another doctor. I am going to check out that article.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
I'm 45, female, and find that this time on low carb is a struggle. I am losing slugglishly and stalled for nearly 6 weeks.

I do think it is dairy for me. Yogurt and hwc are my most common dairy indulgences. I am going Whole 30/Primal with no dairy or artificial sweetners for a month to see if that changes anything.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pearldrop
Stats: 165/119.2/121 (5'4") Goal reached: 26/12/2011
WOE: Atkins Induction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlyfechrysalis View Post
I'm 45, female, and find that this time on low carb is a struggle. I am losing slugglishly and stalled for nearly 6 weeks.

I do think it is dairy for me. Yogurt and hwc are my most common dairy indulgences. I am going Whole 30/Primal with no dairy or artificial sweetners for a month to see if that changes anything.
Hope this elimination will beat your stall Joanne. The worst thing is not to know the reason of a stubborn stall. :S

Good luck to all of us!
Cheers,
Pearldrop is offline   Reply With Quote