Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacyppl
Stats: 275/260/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 18, 2011
Life in Induction Phase

Okay, I am on day 4 of induction. I weighed myself and I am down 3 pounds! I have had some snafus, though. I ate a low-carb yogurt yesterday (Kroger brand CarbMaster has 4g Carbs), then I read the book and yogurt is not allowed at this stage (I hope I did not kill my progress). I was counting my cheese as 0 carbs (according to packaging), but book says count 1 ounce of cheese a 1 carb. I also miscounted my sf jello and pudding. I also made a dip for my pork rinds with salsa and cream cheese (1g carb for 1 oz cheese and 3 g carbs for 2 tblspn of salsa). Can I eat this during induction? It's a wonder that I've lost anything. Since I am going to do induction for at least a month, I am not panicking (maybe longer since my daughter and I have to lose over half our current body weight). I have found some great recipes and feel like I have a pretty good grocery list to go by. I really want to make this a successful new WOL. Any advice and tips for a longer induction phase would be welcomed.
Stacyppl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you have to realize what you are asking when you ask whether you can do these things...

the first answer would be just factual, based on the exact version of Atkins you are following. some plans allow this, some prohibit that, some do something else. they all work.

which gets to the second point. Atkins and his organization had the benefit of working with so many overweight people to develop a plan that is pretty much guaranteed to work for anyone. the fact of the matter is, most people would lose fine if induction was 30 grams of carbs... or included carbmaster yogurt or salsa or whatever.

but reducing it to the simplest formula pretty much guaranteed to work, you have to go by what it says.

you aren't ruining anything, but seeing your current weight and your goal I think I can safely assume you are fairly metabolically resistant. you would almost certainly do better following one of the plans explicitly for some period. it's good both for your mind and your body to adjust to burning fat instead of carbs. it gets you into that mental place where the carbs don't hold sway over you anymore, at least not like they used to!

for many of us who have to stick to 20 grams net carbs long term, after some induction period we open it up a little to include nuts, more dairy, and possibly something like the occasional low carb tortilla, concentrating more on the total carbs than their source.

but Atkins had his reasons for limiting both the number and source of carbs at first. partly it's making it more likely you will move safely through induction without getting cravings or binging or falling off the wagon.

so, in conclusion (I feel like this is a speech! LOL,) limiting your total carbs is the most important thing, but for now, sticking to the food list on one of the versions of the woe is your best bet.

good luck!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 238/232.2/140
WOE: Atkins (currently Induction)
Start Date: 1/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyppl View Post
Okay, I am on day 4 of induction. I weighed myself and I am down 3 pounds! I have had some snafus, though. I ate a low-carb yogurt yesterday (Kroger brand CarbMaster has 4g Carbs), then I read the book and yogurt is not allowed at this stage (I hope I did not kill my progress). I was counting my cheese as 0 carbs (according to packaging), but book says count 1 ounce of cheese a 1 carb. I also miscounted my sf jello and pudding. I also made a dip for my pork rinds with salsa and cream cheese (1g carb for 1 oz cheese and 3 g carbs for 2 tblspn of salsa). Can I eat this during induction? It's a wonder that I've lost anything. Since I am going to do induction for at least a month, I am not panicking (maybe longer since my daughter and I have to lose over half our current body weight). I have found some great recipes and feel like I have a pretty good grocery list to go by. I really want to make this a successful new WOL. Any advice and tips for a longer induction phase would be welcomed.
Hi! Congrats on making it 4 days into induction!! Many people don't even have the willpower to do that much because they simply can't mentally accept letting go of all the delicious "BAD" food and replacing it with better options! You've taken the first steps!!

I'm only in my 3rd week of Atkins (teetering between Induction and OWL to see which works better for me... roughly 22 carbs/day) so I may not be the BEST person to give advice, but this is what I've learned and experienced myself so far:

Salsa won't kill you. I personally like to cook up burger meat and add cheese and salsa to make it less "blah" cuz you can get bored with the same thing over and over again. Tomatoes are allowed (unless you're following the old-school version) so salsa shouldn't do TOO much damage! I wouldn't eat it every day though!

You'll want to stay away from yogurt for a while. Although it's "Carb conscious", it still is sweet and sugary and will almost definitely start some cravings. I promise you'll get to a point where you won't have cravings for things, but until then, stay far away from anything sweet like that!!

As for the cheese... you do need to count it as 1 carb, and remember you can only have roughly 4 grams of carbs from cheese in a day (trust me, it will stop you up and you'll not be a happy camper!!) Many bags state that it's 0 grams, but that's because it's <1 gram... legally they can list anything less than 1 gram as 0.

My best advice is honestly to stay away from things that may trigger a craving such as sweets (including drink mixes) at least for the first few weeks until you learn to fill yourself up with all the good stuff you can eat!! Also, come here often! There are AMAZING people here who know what they're talking about and we're all going through the same thing. We all have a common goal and sometimes you need someone to talk to!

Feel free to PM me and add me as a buddy if you want. Like I said, I'm fairly new, but I've learned a lot from this site and the people on it!!

Good luck! YOU CAN DO THIS!!
DwightHowardFan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, you guys! Well, my daughter and I learned that not all pork rinds are 0 carbs. The flavored ones have carbs. I am also learning portion control. I took out the old, dusty electronic scale and found that 14 grams of pork rinds (the serving size) is a lot smaller than I thought. I did make a pretty good double cheeseburger for dinner and a delicious chicken salad for our lunch tomorrow!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Great job!!

yeah, unfortunately the really good-tasting ones are quite a few carbs, but often you can afford to spend a couple grams on snacks like that!! Good job looking at portion size... on packaged things like pork rinds they often package multiple servings in a bag... as tempting as it is to eat a whole bag in a sitting (or two) you've gotta realize that that'd be 2x and sometimes even 3x or more the serving size!!! WOWZA!!!

I love eating cheeseburgers! My daughter plays basketball and practices 2x week so I typically get her McDonalds on those days (no time to cook before practice!) and I get myself a plain double cheeseburger (no bun) or grilled chicken sandwich (sans bun!)

Congrats on making it this far!! You seem to be learning a lot!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

How green can I really be? So why is it that my daughter and I just realized that pudding is a dairy?!!@#$@% I stocked up on sf chocolate (1 pk of vanilla) pudding. First, I thought it was 0 carbs, then I realized it was 5 carbs. Now, I realize that I should not be eating it at all during induction because it is dairy. Honestly, I never even thought that far. My mind must have rationalized that it's not dairy, it's chocolate, a food group all on its own. No wonder I am still having cravings and an appetite! Goodness me. I need to do induction for two months just to get it right. I also need to be more mindful of counting carbs in the foods I prepare. I made a chicken salad based on another low carb recipe, but I did not measure and I added more ingredients than she had in her recipe. It tastes great, but I am just guessing at the carbs. Is there a site where I can go to input my ingredients and get a per serving list of carbs and stuff?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyppl View Post
How green can I really be? So why is it that my daughter and I just realized that pudding is a dairy?!!@#$@% I stocked up on sf chocolate (1 pk of vanilla) pudding. First, I thought it was 0 carbs, then I realized it was 5 carbs. Now, I realize that I should not be eating it at all during induction because it is dairy. Honestly, I never even thought that far. My mind must have rationalized that it's not dairy, it's chocolate, a food group all on its own. No wonder I am still having cravings and an appetite! Goodness me. I need to do induction for two months just to get it right. I also need to be more mindful of counting carbs in the foods I prepare. I made a chicken salad based on another low carb recipe, but I did not measure and I added more ingredients than she had in her recipe. It tastes great, but I am just guessing at the carbs. Is there a site where I can go to input my ingredients and get a per serving list of carbs and stuff?

Dairy such as cream cheese, cheese, half and half, and hwc are allowed on Induction.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Stacy: PLEASE don't get discouraged or down on yourself so quickly!! It's true, pudding IS a dairy product, but don't worry, you'll be able to "treat" yourself to it at some point!! You're right, you shouldn't be eating it on induction, and it probably is a large part of why you're still having cravings. See, you're not TOTALLY clueless like you wanna think you are... you've got the basic idea and you've found a trigger food!

Induction is fairly simple... just follow the ingredients you can use!! I've found a website that's AMAZING with recipes... the ones with a * are all induction friendly and may help you feel like there's more to induction than eggs, meat and cheese!!!

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

ENJOY!!! AND STOP GETTING DOWN ON YOURSELF!!! We're all here to help eachother!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris42
Stats: 215/197.1LDW@R1/205.3 (setback)/140
WOE: Atkins/HCG /R2P2
Start Date: 01/22/11 (Atkins)---7/8/11(HCG/VLCD) 10/3/11 / R2
DwightHowardFan: Thanks for the great link for recipes and menus!

Chris
Chris42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alero
Stats: 216/198/150 (5ft'0")
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: (Once again) November 9, 2013
Thanks for that link! Looks like she has some great recipes!
Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Mistakes.... I've made a few...

Okay, so it has been a heck of a first 3 weeks on induction. My apartment was flooded with sewer water 5 days into induction and I was suspended for 10 days from work (a long, sad story)! I was homeless for a week (thank God for friends with big houses and spare rooms). I am now dealing with moving into a new place. mold in the old place, a slow insurance company, and an anxious property manager. My daughter and I have still tried to stay in induction (even brought my low carb food to my friends' house; her son ate one of our Atkins bars!). The good thing is that we are losing weight. The bad news is that we are really insulin resistant. In 3 weeks (3 weeks today), I have lost 7.6 pounds. My daughter has lost about 5. I know that I got out of the habit of really counting my carbs (probably ate more than 20 per day) while I was homeless, I was not eating enough veggies, and not drinking enough water. We are going to stick with induction for now. Armed with such great induction recipes, we will be victorious!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Dang, Stacy! Life sure throws you curves sometimes. Congrats on staying motivated thru it all. I will be staying on Induction most likely until December. I am actually really enjoying it! I admit it is hard sometimes like when my kids eat ice cream, but its not so hard I feel the need to cheat. And they don't eat ice cream often

I don't know if you have ever done Weight Watchers, but I have and I am kind of treating my carbs like weight watcher points. I don't know why but it helps. I can either split my carbs up evenly throughout the day, or save them for dinner or whatever. I keep to the allowed foods, tho. I have learned to limit my Splenda intake quite a bit, and I am down to only 1 diet soda per day, usually at lunch time at work.

So far so good. I am teetering on the edge of Onederland. Couple more days at the most, I'm just sure of it!!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
Sorry about all of your troubles! Yikes ~those were some serious challenges. 7.6 lbs isn't bad, it's good. Think about it. That's OVER 2 lbs a week under trying circumstances!
... We are the champions!
BWYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Location: North Central West Virginia- as close to PA as you can get without actually being there
Gallery: A_New_Day
Stats: 204/180/140
Start Date: February 2011
Thanks for the link

Thank you so much for posting the link to Linda's Low carb recipes....this is wonderful and helps so much! Surprisingly, I am 'Lovin' la Vida Low Carb' (to quote a website I'm fond of) and losing weight too!! I have made some mistakes to and sneaked some carbs in where I shouldn't have or ate too many carbs in one day, but the weight is still coming off. Really, we DO get fat from carbs....I love Low Carb Friends and visit daily. Keep the recipes and support coming! It's a great way to eat, simple but not easy.
A_New_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

I went out and bought some Super Colon Cleanse. A bit painful (perhaps I had too much at once), but very "cleansing" (to put it tactly). Do you guys have a certain scale that you prefer to weigh yourself on? I bought a manual scale last week (had to calibrate it a little) and I could have sworn it had me at 260 (naked and after a battle with the Super Colon Cleanse; I know- TMI!). So, of course, I love this scale. The scale at the gym is digital, but It had me at 268.9. The scale at the gym is not brand new from Wal-Mart and was acting a bit crazy. Of course this scale is my enemy. I feel like I've lost more than the gym scale says. My pants are really loose and everyone in my congregation has visibly noticed a difference in my weight. I believe in my new at home scale.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hardrain
Stats: 5'4" 164/144/135
I use the same scale, a digital one that didn't break the bank. I'll weigh myself at work sometimes, but I have steel toe shoes and even when I subtract those I weigh a little more there. So I just keep track on my home scale. If it's off at all, it's been off the whole time but still the lbs lost are accurate.

Induction is the worst part I think. But it so important bc it helps begin new habits and make breaking some of the old ones easier. You're doing great and don't beat yourself up over minor mistakes. It took me probably three times trying Atkin's before I finally understood how important going through induction was. Good luck and keep up the good work!
hardrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I find Induction to be the easiest part of Atkins.

The rules are simple... Once you begin OWL, and start adding carbs in small increments, it is always more difficult to me. That's usually where I fall off the wagon.

Not this time tho.... I DO NOT want to gain it all back!! (again)
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eilish99
Hi Stacy! Congrats to you and your daughter for continuing to lose while undergoing those life trials.

You asked about a place to get counts for your recipes based on your ingredients. I use NutritionData.com to calculate the information for a recipe. Then I enter that information into my profile on ****** - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal. On ****** I "favorite" my created foods (i.e. recipe and serving size).

I found a GREAT digital scale at Walgreen's for $10. But, to check the accuracy of the scale you have now you can weigh an item whose weight you know for certain (in the past I used a 5 pound bag of flour or sugar) and see what weight you scale says it is. If your scale is reading much higher or lower you can calibrate it to get the right weight. The most important thing is to choose ONE scale to use as your reference, that is the scale whose reading you will follow. And that is why I bought a new scale. Oh, and the fact that my old scale was 50 years old, if not older. The digital is so much easier to read and shows decimals.

Continued good luck to you and your daughter and everyone on this board.

Last edited by Eilish99; 02-20-2011 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: fix links
Eilish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwightHowardFan12 View Post
WOWZA!!!
Hi there
could you tell me what wowza means?
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha
Stats: Early Pregnancy & Diabetes
WOE: Low Carb Nutrition
Start Date: Due date: November 2011
I purchased the Fred Meyer Carb Master raspberry and or blueberry brand and I am on induction. It showed only 2 net carbs in it! I think this would be suitable for early in the day (on induction). Or something sweet for when you really need it! I plan on using it on my plan. 7+ ibs to start is great, in my book. So far I've only lost 5! So, I hope that makes you feel a little better!

PS I would stick with whole foods and not anything processed accept for whole butter, heavy whipping cream, mayo, etc... Processed but not refined like bagged products. I've noticed when I eat pork grinds, or other foods with vegetable oils in them, it stalls my weight loss.

You know when I started Atkins, and the internet became a good source to find low carb items... I skimmed it all once over, on many of testing spree's. Nothing made my weight loss more successful than avoiding replacing my old eating habits with some pre-packaged low carb gimmick food. Now it's strictly meats, fats, and very low carb veggies. And that's PLENTY to feel good and full everyday!

Last edited by Kisha; 02-20-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alero View Post

The rules are simple... Once you begin OWL, and start adding carbs in small increments, it is always more difficult to me. That's usually where I fall off the wagon.

I find it very difficult to lose weight and the slightest carb increase sets me off on a downward slide. Good to know I' not the only one!
Some low carb recipes seem high to me and the quantities are far too much for me.
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: valentine21463
Stats: 192/183/140 (5'4")
Start Date: 5/27/12 (This time for real!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alero View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita oldie View Post
I find it very difficult to lose weight and the slightest carb increase sets me off on a downward slide. Good to know I' not the only one!
Some low carb recipes seem high to me and the quantities are far too much for me.
Yup. That's me too.
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote