Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Is their any canned low carb soups? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/700807-their-any-canned-low-carb-soups.html)

oneoftwo 12-03-2010 08:23 AM

Is their any canned low carb soups?

Sometimes I just need something fast and was curious are any canned premade soups low carb?

ravenrose 12-03-2010 12:19 PM

Not that I know of, but these are just as fast.

1. Heat a teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon base in a cup of water in the microwave, then add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream. This is divine with the clam base, mushroom base, or chicken base. Some of the other flavors aren't quite as good, but they are pretty useful in cooking even if you don't like one straight.

2. Heat a teaspoon or two of Better than Bouillon chicken base, or a chicken bouillon, in water in a saucepan. When hot, stir in an egg which you have beaten lightly in a cup. Keep stirring to make eggdrop soup. Add some lemon juice to make this egg/lemon soup.

Obviously once you get the simple process of using a prepared base like Better that Bouillon, you can drop in a lot of things to make your really fast soup, including leftover meats or vegetables.

Cubed cheese melting in the bottom of the soup makes even the plain bouillon special and nutritious.

piratewoman 12-03-2010 12:25 PM

Can the Better Than Bouillon Base be purchased in a grocery store or is it strickly an on-line purchase? Thanks

ravenrose 12-03-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratewoman (Post 14139491)
Can the Better Than Bouillon Base be purchased in a grocery store or is it strickly an on-line purchase? Thanks

Around here Trader Joes and Smart and Final carry the chicken, but the only places with the more exotic flavors are the pricier gourmet grocers like Whole Foods and Molly Stone. I keep my eyes open for a sale and stock up, since they last about forever, though they do need refrigeration after opening.

watcher513 12-09-2010 02:49 AM

Our Costco carries the chicken and beef in 16 oz. jars.

crazyone 12-15-2010 01:34 PM

I also love that Better Than Bouillon base.....chicken and beef.. dying to try the turkey and mushroom flavors...I basically make the broth, chicken, mushrooms, celery...with the beef, I add tomatoes, celery, some kind of beef, maybe onion...I make it and freeze it in individual portions in freezer bags...I don't own a micro wave.. so I just reheat it up in a pan...

strawberryheart 01-07-2011 06:57 PM

This sounds great. Will have to try.

I kinda did a no no today. At work I felt like some hot soup cause my tummy was upset and had a small cup of some of the minestrone soup...never having it before and it was yummy. It didn't have much beans or noodles in it and of course I didn't eat them but the hot broth and zuchinni was so goood. But I figure I better just make my own not knowing how many carbs the veggies and broth was. Told myself no seconds! I'm gonna have to make my own tho I loved it.

Bronwyn 01-17-2011 02:44 PM

Progresso used to carry a low-carb Chicken Enchilada soup that I really liked but it's been a while since I've seen it in stores.

mccb17 01-26-2011 11:45 AM

Progresso Light soups aren't bad at all. I probably won't use them until I go into OWL, but the Progresso Light Beef Pot Roast only has 10g of carbs per serving, and no MSG. Also 2g of dietary fiber and only 80 calories.

Also, it doesn't taste bad at all.

There are some other options in the line that have 14g of carbs, if you're more into chicken.

And no, I am not a Progresso salesman. Just saying...

nursekay 01-27-2011 06:32 PM

today I made a white gumbo and it was great. It was like a soup. chicken broth, onions bell pepper, celery, okra, chicken, sausage and shrimp. yummy, also a little HWC at the end.

berighteous 01-28-2011 04:54 PM

I just made a yummy beef/mushroom/spinach soup tonite. yum

Cubed and browned 2 pounds of roast in the pressure cooker. Added a couple cans of beef broth 4 cups of water and 4 bullion cubes. Pressure cooked for 30 minutes. Meanwhile sautee sliced mushooms and a diced onion in bacon fat. Once the pressure cooker is done and cooled I put the mushrooms/onions and a 10 oz box of frozen leaf spinach into the pressure cooker pot and simmered on the stove for a few minutes. Then add about 2/3 cup of cream and salt and pepper to taste. simmer 5 minutes. into the bowl and it's dinner and lunch for a few days.

Alero 01-30-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berighteous (Post 14323256)

Cubed and browned 2 pounds of roast in the pressure cooker. Added a couple cans of beef broth 4 cups of water and 4 bullion cubes. Pressure cooked for 30 minutes. Meanwhile sautee sliced mushooms and a diced onion in bacon fat. Once the pressure cooker is done and cooled I put the mushrooms/onions and a 10 oz box of frozen leaf spinach into the pressure cooker pot and simmered on the stove for a few minutes. Then add about 2/3 cup of cream and salt and pepper to taste. simmer 5 minutes. into the bowl and it's dinner and lunch for a few days.

That sounds really good! I will have to try!

spiderdust 02-02-2011 12:11 AM

I love that idea of using the clam bouillon base and HWC! :up:

dasiey 02-04-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berighteous (Post 14323256)

That sounds good

Alero 02-04-2011 03:36 PM

Found this recipe in the LCG recipes

Tomato Soup (Like Campbell's)

1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 c. water
1/4 to 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 pkt Splenda

How To Prepare: Mix all together in saucepan,
heat & serve.
It's delicious.

Steak_Fanatic 02-06-2011 09:46 AM

I'll have to keep an eye out for these light soups. I could use quick meal ideas.

Alero 02-08-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alero (Post 14347320)

1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 c. water
1 pkt Splenda

heat & serve.
It's delicious.

EDIT

I made this soup last night, and again today. It's very good, but I like it better without the splenda packet.

Also, you might want to split the recipe in half, each half being approximately 5.5 net carbs. Or you could splurge half your carbs on one meal like I did :p

steady 02-08-2011 11:01 PM

Honestly I make quick soups all the time... I just take left over meat and veggies and just add broth and microwave.

Eliza_Jazz 02-14-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyone (Post 14176366)
I also love that Better Than Bouillon base.....chicken and beef.. dying to try the turkey and mushroom flavors...I basically make the broth, chicken, mushrooms, celery...with the beef, I add tomatoes, celery, some kind of beef, maybe onion...I make it and freeze it in individual portions in freezer bags...I don't own a micro wave.. so I just reheat it up in a pan...

Does it have any added MSG? I haven't seen it anywhere in the stores, but would like to find it and try some of these great soup suggestions.

crazyone 02-14-2011 08:50 AM

You know Eliza, girly girl.. I have to check the label..

Better Than Bouillon chicken base is made from real chicken meat and juices giving it a richer, more robust flavor than ordinary bouillons. No MSG, no fat and lower sodium -1/3 less salt than ordinary bouillons.

Each jar contains 38 one cup servings or enough for 9 1/2 quarts of broth.

Ingredients:

Chicken meat including natural chicken juices, salt, sugar, corn syrup solids, chicken fat, hydrolyzed soy protein, dried whey, flavoring, disodium inosinate and guanylate, turmeric.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 teaspoon (6g)
Serving Per Container: 38
Amount per Serving
Calories 15
Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.5g 1%
Saturated Fat 0mg 0%
Trans Fat 0mg
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 750mg 31%
Total Carb. 1g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 1g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Although I see the sugar and corn syrup solids...but.. I use very little..

crazyone 02-14-2011 08:52 AM

Eliza, you know me, I can't post a graphic or whatever here, at all.. this was the best I could do..

Medical Student 02-21-2011 03:47 PM

This soup is delicious and it's perfect for induction... It's very high in calories and fat but that's what is needed to lose weight during induction. I've noticed that a lot of people are trying to do a low-carb/low-fat diet and Atkins just doesn't work that way... I've done a ton of research on Atkins (I mean a ton... dug into my medical nutrition books and all) and the key to weight loss on Atkins is a HIGH FAT, HIGH PROTEIN, essentially zero carbohydrate diet.

Here's the recipe:

4 cups heavy cream
1/2 lb. Land of Lakes yellow american cheese
1/4 lb. cheddar cheese
(Add more cheese if you like a "cheesier" taste)
1 box frozen broccoli or cauliflower florets
Make sure you cook the soup on low heat, adding only a couple of slices of cheese at a time until they fully melt. In addition, try not to bring it to a boil. Add the broccoli or cauliflower once all of the cheese has been melted.

Let me know what you think! This soup is VERY filling (due to the high fat content).

darkgardyner 03-18-2011 10:53 PM

I am HOOKED on the Better Than Boullions!!! Last week I picked up clam base as well as LOBSTER base. This week I'll be making a seafood chowder with the lobster base...adding shrimp, haddock, butter, heavy cream, Old Bay seasoning, a tiny bit of onion powder, parsley, and cauliflower florets. I can hardly wait...baked kale chips on the side....mmmmmmmm!

dancind 03-23-2011 10:08 AM

OK, I have to get some of the lobster base. I figure a little cream, some chopped langostino from TJs and I will have an approximation of my absolute favorite soup.

If you order it through Amazon, the shipping is a little bit cheaper than ordering it from the company's web site.

happylabs 04-07-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 c. water
1 pkt Splenda

heat & serve.
It's delicious.

I have made this and it is delicious! Way better than Campbell's Tomato Soup (oops...can I say that?).

When I make it I also have a low carb tortilla with cheese melted between it so it is like the good old comfort food toasted cheese and tomato soup meal that I love from when I was a kid. :love:

mamajennleigh 04-16-2011 11:14 AM

WOW!

Quote:

1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 c. water
1 pkt Splenda

heat & serve.
It's delicious.

This was incredible! I have been a lurker here for quite some time. I made this for lunch today and had to register just so I could post how awesome it was! I will make this again, and soon! Thanks for posting it!

martiangurll 05-09-2011 05:14 PM

DIY egg drop soup:

Heat up some chicken broth on the stove and slowly stir in a beaten egg or two. A dash of Tabasco and soy sauce for flavor (and wasabi if I have it). If I add a packet of sugar free gelatin, it adds protein and no carbs. Very filling and satisfying.

mizski 05-12-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneoftwo (Post 14138586)
Sometimes I just need something fast and was curious are any canned premade soups low carb?

Progresso Chicken Cheese Enchilada is a ready to heat & eat low carb soup. It used to be under their Carb Counters line but they did away with that line and put it under their Traditional line. It's pretty tasty and filling and gluten free.

Progresso Creamy Mushroom (GF) and Escarole soups are also low carb although I'm not sure if they still make the escarole one.

watcher513 05-16-2011 03:33 PM

I've never seen their escarole soup.

Rbenz 05-22-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happylabs (Post 14540936)
I have made this and it is delicious! Way better than Campbell's Tomato Soup (oops...can I say that?).

When I make it I also have a low carb tortilla with cheese melted between it so it is like the good old comfort food toasted cheese and tomato soup meal that I love from when I was a kid. :love:

I had this same lunch yesterday!:cool: