Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bigoledude
Stats: 330
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 1, 2010
Why the limit on sweeteners during induction?

I used Atkins 28 years ago to lose a lot of weight. I'm 56 now, no longer an athlete, diabetic and 330 pounds. I'm planning on living the rest of my life the low-carb way.

Just got my "New Atkins For a New You" yesterday. Boy, Atkins has changed in 28 years! While I waited for the book to arrive, I ate just meat, cheese and eggs. But, I did drink alot of white tea.

I figured white tea with the anti-oxidants and all... But, the book limits us to 3 packets of artificial sweetener PER DAY! What're y'all drinking?

I am about halfway through the Induction chapter and, I haven't read yet WHY such a small amount of sweetener is recommended? At 1 gram of carb per packet, it does not seem to be a carb issue. What is the reason for the restriction on Splenda and the other sweeteners?

Is there a similar restriction on stevia drops?
Bigoledude is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I think artificial sweeteners slow down weight loss for some people. I use sweet-n-low in my coffee every morning and still lose weight. I've slipped on the carbs this past week but gonna get serious again.... I do best when I limit carbs to less than 20 a day...artificial sweetener or not. I think it's different for everyone.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lainielou
Stats: 364/started atkins@339/291/150
WOE: atkins induction/alternating w/zc
Start Date: August 2010
I believe that sweeteners like Splenda are restricted in general because they can stall out weight loss. . .or slow it down considerably.

Some people can use stevia with little or no weight loss impact. . .and it's a more natural alternative sugar than most.

I use about two packets of splenda a day. . only in my coffee. . . so I haven't had a problem with hitting limits and am losing weight steadily.
lainielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
I think induction is 20 carbs and Dr A wanted you to get those from your greens and salads, as above some peeps stall and it can cause craving for some, There is a liquid "splenda"{sweetzfree}is one. with 0 carbs..
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bigoledude
Stats: 330
Start Date: October 1, 2010
I am really bumming about the sweetener thing. I hope I can come to enjoy my tea without sweetener.

What are you guys drinking?
Bigoledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lainielou
Stats: 364/started atkins@339/291/150
WOE: atkins induction/alternating w/zc
Start Date: August 2010
plain ol' water.
lainielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
water, diet soda and some other Norwegian diet drink.
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Also, I believe that relying on artificial sweeteners prohibits the "reprogramming" of our brains. We can't break our addiction to sugar if we substitute something sweet.

I drink everything without sweetener and always have: tea, iced tea, but mostly plain water.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
One good reason is that 1 pack should be counted as 1 carb. The packets have additives in there that are carbs. So if you have 10 packs a day. You already having half your carbs!! You don't want to use up most of your allowed carbs on packets of sweeteners. Most of your carbs should come from veggies.
If you want a little bit more sweetener without the added carbs of the packets, get some liquid splenda. The liquid is truly 0 carbs. You can get EZSweetz from Netrition. I use it all the time in my coffee and tea.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 10-03-2010 at 08:43 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
i'm not sure the rationale. i know when i was using aritficial sweeteners though, i still had intense cravings. splenda claims to be natural but it is anything but.

i do not limit my use of steva, though i probably don't use more than 4-5 servings a day. it is 100% stevia, "0" carb/serving, though i count it as .5. s even if i had 6-7 servings, that's still just 3 carbs, leaving 17 for veggies. that's A LOT of LC veggie! using stevia, i have still lost plenty of weight. when i try to go without and drink plain decaf coffee/tea, i feel unsatisfied. for me, it is better to have what i want and not worry about it (thank goodness, i no longer want sugar or art. sw.). i learned this after years of the restriction/binge cycle. we all have to do what's best for us. i'm sure you know or will realize what that is for you - enjoy it!
llm
lovelifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
It tells you in NANY that each packet is 1 gram, so I have to disagree with you when you say its not a carb issue. It will add up if you are using a lot of them. Use 3 in your morning cup of coffee or tea and thats 3, if you have 2 cups of tea or coffee and do the same then thats 6, add another drink or something else made then you see where I'm going with this. NANY suggests that 15 grams of carbs should come from veggies. The other 5 should come from condiments. Switch to a liquid Splenda if you want to use sweetener without the carbs. The craving issue is one of those things that YMMV.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 10-03-2010 at 01:33 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
most people get their artificial sweeteners from the little packets--yellow, blue, or pink--you know? those have carbs, approx. one per packet.

if you use liquid sucralose, EZSweetZ for example, it has no carbs. erythritol and xylitol are also carb free.

now there are people who say that the sweet taste triggers things in your body, not exactly what sugar does, but some things like that, which are a bad thing. I don't buy that personally, but then I may not fully understand it.

many people use a lot of artificial sweetener and lose just fine. if you are in that group, don't sweat it.

if your losses are not what you hoped for, try eliminating the artificial sweetener for a month and see if it makes a difference. any shorter period probably isn't very informational in something like this.

in any case, do get one of the carb free sweeteners. there is no sense in wasting your carbs on the fillers in splenda packets!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gr82bthin
Stats: 205/199/150
WOE: LC/ Atkins
Start Date: August 3, 2012
I drink Arizona diet teas. They are sweetened with sorbitol which absorbs very slowly in the body and has no impact on blood sugar levels. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol so the net carbs are zero for an 8 oz glass. I can have 2 glasses a day without any "gassy" problems. I love the stuff and it's a real treat, I use stevia for everything else.
Gr82bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbIrene
Stats: 160/160/120 or better!
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 8/2011 Restart
Just a food for thought:

Its not so much about the carb count per packet which is why the restriction (and it doesn't matter what the package says- 1 pack is 1 gram, period- of no matter what sweetner you're using). The physiological answer is the sweet taste on your tongue triggers your brain send the signal to the pancreas to release insulin. This is exactly what we do NOT want, an excess of insulin in our system. Actually, a lot of people who start low-carb diets are already insulin-resistant.

The only way around it is you've got to go cold-turkey- NO sweetners for awhile. This is the only way to break your SWEETNESS addiction (notice I didn't say SUGAR addiction). Because ultimately at the end of the day, insulin will be released either way.

This is often why people who eat Atkins bars, shakes, etc don't see the results that perhaps they could. If you want big results, you've got to commit and go 100% clean, whole, natural low-carb food choices.

I drink straight purified water.....in a couple weeks I am going to start adding a squeeze of lemon juice to it (and counting those carbs).

By the way... caffeine can wreak havoc on blood sugar levels in some people, which can further trigger cravings......and the cycle continues. If you're addicted to it, whether or not it's permitted, it's probably a good idea to go without for a couple weeks. Just my opinion
LowCarbIrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr82bthin View Post
I drink Arizona diet teas. They are sweetened with sorbitol which absorbs very slowly in the body and has no impact on blood sugar levels. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol so the net carbs are zero for an 8 oz glass. I can have 2 glasses a day without any "gassy" problems. I love the stuff and it's a real treat, I use stevia for everything else.
Interesting. I get the Arizona tea mixes, mainly to make the 2 qt. size and it says Splenda is in it.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbIrene View Post
Just a food for thought:

The physiological answer is the sweet taste on your tongue triggers your brain send the signal to the pancreas to release insulin.
Can someone post a citation for this fact? If it's true, I don't see how Type II diabetics could use artificial sweeteners at all.

I think Atkins' issue with them was that the powdered versions contain what is essentially sugar. Liquid is much better.
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat819 View Post
Can someone post a citation for this fact? If it's true, I don't see how Type II diabetics could use artificial sweeteners at all.

I think Atkins' issue with them was that the powdered versions contain what is essentially sugar. Liquid is much better.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Artificial Sweeteners Linked To Obesity | achieve-fitness.com

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080...ncrease-weight

Last edited by lisabinil; 10-18-2010 at 06:27 AM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
I looked over your first link, lisabinil. It doesn't really say that artificial sweeteners increase insulin secretion, it says aspartame and other artificial sweeteners increases appetite, leading to weight gain.

Aspartame is very close to MSG and I've read that it causes a reaction similar to "Chinese food syndrome" that people keep drinking soda after soda after soda.

I read an abstract for a study yesterday that seemed to indicate that there's a problem with sweeteners that have a bitter aftertaste seemed to spike insulin production whereas ironically, the one tested that supposedly had no bitter aftertaste, aspartame (i'd beg to differ, personally) did not spike insulin production. See this monster link:

ScienceDirect - Cellular Signalling : Effects of Artificial Sweeteners on Insulin Release and Cationic Fluxes in Rat Pancreatic Islets

None of them were looking at sucralose, though.

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light; but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. -- Max Planck
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
This is one study but doesn't state the name of the actual artificial sweetener.

Ingestion of diet soda before a glucose load augme... [Diabetes Care. 2009] - PubMed result

There's lots of studies that say the opposite that there is no effect.

Last edited by lisabinil; 10-18-2010 at 08:01 AM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
When Splenda first came out they said that *unlike* other artificial sweeteners, it was created specifically for the diabetic. I don't know how true their claims are. I do know that I avoid them because they set me to craving for other sweets...and I'm not a sweet eater. I'm much more successful at Atkins when I just drink water or unsweetened tea.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat819 View Post

what you are looking for is called a cephalic response. research has proved it is the normal response to any sweet taste in the mouth.

some folk can get if just thinking about sweets, while others get a response from just seeing a sweet.

the body doesn't need the insulin it just secretes it when one tastes food sweetened with AS. That shouldn't bother a type 2 diabetic other then the same craving response a low carbered get

Last edited by 2big4mysize; 10-30-2010 at 09:38 PM..
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amber22
Stats: sw169/cw169/gw145-130
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Some food for thought...

First let me say that I do have about four cups of coffee a day with a half packet of sweet and low in each, but eventually I would like to adjust my self to having just cream in my coffee.

I recently read Jillian Michaels new book and she explains why we should have as little artificial sweetener as possible in a way that I have never heard before.

She says that our body becomes used to not "reacting" to the artificial sweetener so when we have regular sugar ( a little cheat, birthday, ect..) our body can't tell the difference and does not burn it off properly because it is used to not reacting to the artificial stuff. Hope I explained that ok. Like I said just food for thought :-)

---------------------------------------------------

~ " Every passing moment is another chance to turn it all around. "

~ " Nothing tastes as good as thin feels! "
Amber22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I am a diabetic, and I have been doing Atkins since July (low carb in general since June). I have not limited my use of non caloric sweetener (NOT splenda--zero carb sweeteners). I have lost nearly 40 pounds so far, and my blood sugar numbers are indistinguishable from a normal person. So as far as I am concerned, I see no reason (personally, I know that everyone can be different, YMMV) for me to limit sweeteners at all (though powdered sweeteners contain maltodextrin, which I stay far away from!!)
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chloe92us
Stats: 175/168/150
Start Date: 10/15/10
The studies are interesting, especially the one with the rats eating MORE calories overall. However, I don't believe that the obesity problem in America can be blamed on artificial sweeteners alone. As a result of the low fat diet craze in the 80's & 90's, sweeteners and diet sodas became popular. In 1992 the USDA introduced the food pyramid. At that time, people began to consume rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and carbs at a crazy rate which eventually led to an abundance of processed and fast food.

In general, I think people that drink lots of soda, whether they are diet or regular, also eat a lot of processed foods. THAT, in my opinion, is the reason Americans are so fat.

Sidenote; I just finished a Wendy's burger with no bun, a side salad, AND a small Diet Coke. LOL!

Last edited by chloe92us; 11-11-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Added a sidenote.
chloe92us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe92us View Post
The studies are interesting, especially the one with the rats eating MORE calories overall. However, I don't believe that the obesity problem in America can be blamed on artificial sweeteners alone. As a result of the low fat diet craze in the 80's & 90's, sweeteners and diet sodas became popular. In 1992 the USDA introduced the food pyramid. At that time, people began to consume rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and carbs at a crazy rate which eventually led to an abundance of processed and fast food.

In general, I think people that drink lots of soda, whether they are diet or regular, also eat a lot of processed foods. THAT, in my opinion, is the reason Americans are so fat.
I agree.
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote