Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   WHAT IS THE BEST LOW CARB BREAD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/691953-what-best-low-carb-bread.html)

copar 09-21-2010 07:50 AM

WHAT IS THE BEST LOW CARB BREAD?

I was wondering what bread everyone uses during OWL? I know some people order over the internet, and some get in the grocery, but I was wondering what I should look for? Thanks, Teresa

Leftydee 09-22-2010 10:18 AM

I just ordered Mama Lupe's Low Carb Tortillas from this site. I had a chicken salad wrap for lunch today and they taste like the real thing. They only have about 3 net carbs per wrap. I'm a few weeks away from Pre-Maintenance so I thought I'd treat myself.

copar 09-22-2010 12:00 PM

Lefty, thanks for the post. They look good, but I am still on the hunt for something close to real bread. Thanks, Teresa

happylabs 09-22-2010 04:23 PM

Me no eat bread. Love Mama Lupe's tortillas! Just had a bacon and tomato wrap for dinner. I cannot be trusted with bread. :p

tulipsandroses 09-26-2010 09:24 AM

Hands down Trader Joe's Sprouted Breads. I love the 7 Grain. 4 Net carbs per slice. One slice with my fried eggs for breakfast keeps me full till I'm ready for lunch.

copar 09-28-2010 01:01 PM

Thanks for the Trader Joe's suggestion as I have one about 15 miles from here and pass it when I see my doc. I will check it out. Teresa

tulipsandroses 09-28-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copar (Post 13940735)
Thanks for the Trader Joe's suggestion as I have one about 15 miles from here and pass it when I see my doc. I will check it out. Teresa

Just be sure to get the one that is 4 Net carbs. They have other sprouted breads that are higher in carbs. Its really good stuff. Gave a slice to a non low carber yesterday who is diabetic and has hated all other low carb breads and he was really impressed.

Tyl 09-28-2010 02:51 PM

i don't really miss bread but bf can't live without it. so i buy sarah lee delightful bread, bun and hotdog buns 6-8 carbs, he loves em!

(we are big mama lupe lovers, they make the best chips and the best chimis!)

copar 09-29-2010 08:35 AM

Thanks again guys for the input. I will make sure to check the net carbs. Teresa

Gr82bthin 10-05-2010 07:23 AM

Sami's Low Carb breads in Tampa, Florida. Wonderful!

SuzeQ 10-10-2010 11:01 AM

Trader Joes's and Julian Bakery Low Carb bread. All fantastic!

lisabinil 10-10-2010 11:07 AM

Most groceries carry the Healthy Life lc breads.

hitsalot 12-25-2012 01:44 PM

Sorry to be bumping old threads, but i googled the question at the top and here's where it took me. :-) I was checking for low carb breads b/c i just made an awesome Chicken Caesar salad sans croutons, but was looking to score some LC Bread and make some garlic butter croutons i could sprinkle in there. Any more opinions would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas, everybody.
-jeff

dlk35 12-25-2012 02:42 PM

Pepperage Farm Carb Style Bread 7 grain...5 net carbs per

spacegoddess 01-07-2013 10:42 PM

Low Carb bread

Sara Lee makes a bread that is low carb. It is not advertised as such, but it is 45 calorie delightful bread 100% whole wheat with honey. It has about 4 carbs per slice. It is a really good alternative and easily found in most main grocery stores. It is a much cheaper alternative than buying bread from online or expensive stores. It's worth a try.... :)

Moonequipt13 01-20-2013 12:01 PM

Jeff, the Julian bakery bread makes some epic croutons!

Darkginger 01-20-2013 11:03 PM

I use Halloumi cheese as an alternative to croutons - just cut it into little cubes and fry in some garlic butter until golden. It has the necessary crunchiness, and a very low carb count!

tandt 01-24-2013 10:52 AM

I used to get the Sara Lee bread mentioned above, but they changed the recipe and now it has 8 net carbs per slice.

I now buy Weight Watchers 100% whole wheat bread - 5 net carbs per slice.

dlk35 01-24-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tandt (Post 16216839)
I used to get the Sara Lee bread mentioned above, but they changed the recipe and now it has 8 net carbs per slice.

I now buy Weight Watchers 100% whole wheat bread - 5 net carbs per slice.

Yes,i saw that bread the other day at wally world

IslanderNL 01-29-2013 12:28 PM

I make my own flax bread on a flat tray in the oven once a week. The recipe makes 12 'slices' with .7 of a gram of carb each. I have it nearly every day either with some kind of nut butter or as a sandwich and it makes great stuffing too. Its sooo filling.

Jonika 02-03-2013 04:09 AM

As said above, you can make your own bread from flax seed meal. It tastes great and you can eat more than one slice without guilt.

Here is one of the recipes: FlaxSeed Bread

lterry913 02-04-2013 06:35 PM

I found a recipe for bread made with almond meal and psyllium powder...makes a french bread style loaf or buns if made smaller... "HEALTHIFIED" SUB 1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (or 1/2 cup coconut flour) 5 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes) 2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp Celtic sea salt 3 egg whites (8 egg whites if using coconut flour) (My eggs are large sized on average) 1 cup BOILING water (or MARINARA - for more Tomato Basil Bread!)

OPTION: Use 2 whole eggs (Almond flour version) or 4 whole eggs (coconut flour version). If you are having trouble with it rising using whole eggs you can try egg whites.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won't work), baking powder and salt. Mix until dry ingredients are well combined. Add in the eggs and mix until a thick dough. Add boiling water or marinara into the bowl. Mix until well combined and dough firms up.

Form into 4 to 5 mini subs (the dough will rise about 2 to 3 times so I start mine as a 1 inch disk, see picture below) or one large sub/loaf and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 65 minutes (50 minutes for smaller shapes like buns). Remove from the oven and allow the bread cool completely. Cut open with a serrated knife. Fill with desired fillings. Makes 5 servings.

NOTE! If you get a hollow bread, try lowering the oven temperature to 300 degrees F. It will rise less (maybe 2X instead of 3X at 350) but it will be less likely to get an air bubble. :)

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving) Traditional Sub Bread = 198 calories, 6g fat, 4g protein, 41 carbs, trace fiber (41 effective carbs) Almond Flour Sub = 205
You can google healthified sub and watch a video on how to make ...i think the lady who made this deserves credit...do look her up.

lterry913 02-10-2013 11:01 AM

If anyone makes the healthified bread I would highly suggest baking it for the time she says in recipe...don't take the bread out of oven because it looks or feels done...it will fall...I have even gone a step further and let the bread cool in oven with heat off and door cracked...then move it to a wire rack to cool further before slicing. Good luck it is worth the effort...made a beautiful grilled cheese today :)

Kizz4k 02-16-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonika (Post 16236660)
As said above, you can make your own bread from flax seed meal. It tastes great and you can eat more than one slice without guilt.

Here is one of the recipes: FlaxSeed Bread

Thanks for posting this recipe! I am excited to try it:)

Jonika 02-16-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizz4k (Post 16262777)
Thanks for posting this recipe! I am excited to try it:)

You are welcome! I make it all the time. I toast the slices in a toaster to make them crispy and crunchy...and make sandwiches with them. :)

Penguine69 03-15-2013 10:48 AM

Hi, I am new and on induction but the windixie were I live has a tortilla called flat out bread. Made with whole wheat and 9 net carbs per slice. The tortillas are the size of a dinner plate.

Penguine69 03-15-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks for posting the link. Wow I dddnt know they had so many different kinds. You have to look at all the nutrition labels because only a few have less than 10 net carbs.

Love&Luck 03-28-2013 05:47 AM

My DF is diabetic and we've gotten him down to LC bread options. The ones we think are the best would be:

Bread - hands down, Trader Joe's sprouted variety (the 4 NC slices). They they a lot of protein and really keep you full, plus taste great.

Wrappers - Target's Market Pantry brand (house brand) low carb/high fiber. They look/taste/feel like basic flour tortillas and are a good size (8") for 6 NC.

Also - light Flat Outs have a lot of uses. You can use for a quick pizza crust and also make into cracker (season and bake). The entire large piece is 7 NC.

hhatred 04-03-2013 06:47 PM

We just tried the new LC Brand Low Carb White Bread (Canada) from thelowcarbgrocery.com. Made up the dough in the bread machine and baked it off in the oven. Expensive per loaf, but very nice white bread...advertises 1 net carb per slice.

Avy 04-07-2013 03:39 PM

I have two bags of that in the cupboard I haven't tried yet. Also have bought 2 loaves of their pre-made and sliced bread, don't remember which two, have only tried one so far, toasted with peanut butter, definitely not worth buying again but I'll finish it eventually if I ever stop hCG lol. Also bought bagels I haven't tried, keeping everything in the freezer. I usually order from Low Carb Canada though, the prices are better and the service is fantastic, especially since they updated their website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhatred (Post 16353494)
We just tried the new LC Brand Low Carb White Bread (Canada) from thelowcarbgrocery.com. Made up the dough in the bread machine and baked it off in the oven. Expensive per loaf, but very nice white bread...advertises 1 net carb per slice.