Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scrappy56
Stats: 180/169/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 08/09/10
Sugar free gum?

I stopped chewing it after the first week of induction, I thought I saw it expressly prohibited in the book, and my DH who is doing Atkins with me said that a pack of gum used all our carbs for the day. I have read some posts on here with people chewing it. So, what's the dealio? I sure miss it!
Scrappy56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anniemar
Stats: 176/139/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: jan10
I've used Mento's sugarfree since I first started....couldn't deal with the ketosis breath. I would imagine like anything else it would depend on how it effected you. Trial and error for most everything lowcarb. Some people have no problem with the protein powders....they blow me up like a parachute!!
Anniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scrappy56
Stats: 180/169/145
Start Date: 08/09/10
Thanks, Anniemar!
Scrappy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaterialGirl
Stats: 190/183/140
WOE: CYT
Start Date: July 9, 2012
In the new book it says you can have up to three pieces of s/f gum or mints per day as long as each one is counted as 1g. I didn't go hog wild, but I also was concerned about the breath - my job requires me to interact with people frequently. I chewed gum about every other day (usually once per day) during induction and I lost 7 lbs in the first two weeks.
MaterialGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
Start Date: November 2009
Both the act of chewing and artificial sweeteners can trigger your body to release insulin - which can give you cravings/hunger and too much insulin can hinder weight loss. However, everyone is different, so if its not broke for you, don't fix it!
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by camel? View Post
Both the act of chewing and artificial sweeteners can trigger your body to release insulin - which can give you cravings/hunger and too much insulin can hinder weight loss. However, everyone is different, so if its not broke for you, don't fix it!
Wow, really? Interesting. Although I don't eat AS otherwise, gum has been my diet crutch, I suffer from mouth hunger often, so for me the chewing occupies my mouth without all the carbs and cals. The act of chewing relieves stress, helps me concentrate, and my appetite is dramatically lessened when I chew gum. I guess we are all different, well, I know I am not like most.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Qsmum
Stats: 388/297/225
WOE: Atkins - self modified
Start Date: May 1-22, 2010/restart June 1, 2010
I chew gum every now and again when the ketosis breath gets bad. I was counting it as 1 carb each because most use a sorbitol and yes maltitol and aspartame. Aspartame tends to stall me, even in small doses. When I switched to using stevia, erithitol and xylitol as my sweetners, I went on the search for a gum. I finally found one made with xylitol at my health food store called Spry. It has .72 total carbs with include xylitol (sugar alcohol if you count them) and glycerine. I count the full .72 just to be safe. Plus it's good for my teeth. Love the cinnamon

I don't care if you lick windows,take the special bus or occasionally pee on yourself..
You hang in there sunshine, you're special
Qsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stephen
Stats: Was: 155, Now: 132
Start Date: Sept. 3rd, 2010
ahh. I found aspartame (from tons of diet jelly) didn't negatively affect my weight loss last time (cant be bothered with jelly this time lol).

But maltitol and any of those sugar alcohols definitely do stall me. Although they are 'zero carb' they are not zero calorie, and they still impact blood sugar levels. They're definitely better than regular sweets and gum but you definitely do have to keep a lid on it.

Just make sure you remember to just take enough to keep a fresh breath, and don't start munching and chewing on them because you're hungry. It's easy to get carried away with them heh.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kathc1
Stats: Restarted 2/20/10 189/136/135-125 (5'2")
Start Date: 2/20/10
I chew it all the time at work. I'm a nurse and get pretty close to people. It doesn't seem to effect weight loss or hunger. But like others have said, everyone is different.
kathc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MustDoIt
Stats: 197.5/132
WOE: LCHF Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: Restarted 05/25/14
To take away the keto breath, buy "Smart Mouth" mouthwash from CVS, or who ever sells it. Works fantastic.
MustDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarblesLongGone
Stats: 273/214/188 6'0"
WOE: Grain-free, sugar-free, real foods
Start Date: 2010 (I have years of weight data recorded)
I avoid, as I eat meals, then stop eating. I drink water whenever, but anything else is part of a meal, and only part of a meal, as I want to avoid the insulin surges from having food in my mouth.
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote