Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: morechinsthan
Help! GAINING weight on Atkins/fat fast

I am so frustrated. I started induction on Aug 2 and for two weeks I followed the diet as written. I started out as 170 and at one point in the 2 weeks I was at 166 but on the 2 week anniversary I weighed 170. If I've lost inches it isn't obvious. I took some "before" photos and I look exactly the same now.

So anyway, after 2 weeks I figured I was in that small percentage that needed to do the fat fast. It is the 2nd day of that and when I stepped on the scale this morning it read 174. How can this be??? 4 pounds in 3 days? I haven't eaten ANY sugar in almost 3 weeks!!

I had a baby 3 months ago and I recently weaned from breastfeeding which I could understand making weight loss maybe slower, but gaining? What can I do? If drinking soda and beer maintains my weight but dieting makes me gain then I don't know what is going on.

My typical menu on induction was as follows (and I had no fake chocolate or any salty meats (i dont like bacon)

breakfast:

3 eggs, boiled
coffee, 1 tbl heavy cream

lunch:

fried fish, shrimp, or chicken in olive oil
romaine lettuce w/ olive oil and red wine vinegar

dinner:

steak, hamburger, or chicken

snacks:

cheese cubes (i stopped all dairy in the 2nd week though)
sugar free jell-o
boiled eggs
string cheese

I did eat garlic with several meals. But not huge amounts.

I started the fat fast yesterday. I ate 30 macadamia nuts and a couple ounces of chevre. I was hungry and faint when I went to bed. When I stepped on the scale this morning it read 174.

So far today I've eaten one whole egg and two egg whites scrambled and that is it. I dont know what to eat today. I dont want to gain any more weight. I'm afraid to eat.

BTW I had my thyroid checked and they said it was normal
morechinsthan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: morechinsthan
I've never eaten this many eggs in my life, could that be it? Could it be the coffee? How could 1 cup of coffee cause me to gain weight when countless cans of Dr Pepper did not?
morechinsthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slickmouse
Don't know if this will be helpful - but I'll share my struggle for the past several years. My weight would go up and down wildly just as you described despite counting every calorie; exercising like a mad women; etc. For the first time EVER I've been able to have 1.5 mts of consecutive losses. They aren’t big - but it's the first time I've never gained week over week.

My struggles were from an untreated hypothyroid which resulted in a severe hormonal imbalance. It's taken 3 years - but i'm starting to finally feel better and see some progress in the weight department.
So i'd suggest reading lots of info in the Thyroid forum on this board. What most Drs note as 'normal' is not. Read lots on the Stop the Thyroid Madness. Investigate Gluten Free and adrenal fatigue.
I'm convinced my weight fluctuations; despite doing everything I was suppose to; was from my hormonal imbalance caused by my thyroid. I started having significant problems around 29y/o - so they can happen at any age.

IMO – if you have a lot to lose (more than 30lbs) and you are following a diet and your weight is going the wrong way – or fluctuating widely – something is wrong.

I’ve started LC, Gluten Free, cut back on my exercise (too much raises cortisol), added vitamins to support adrenal function (Vit C and B12), and finally got my thyroid meds straighten out – and I’m seeing slow progress (it's taken over a year). I’m still trying to level out my female hormones b/c they are still out of whack – but that is coming along slowly.

I firmly believe that for SOME people – it can be your hormones making you fat. And NOTHING messes with your hormones more than pregnancy :-)

Good Luck!
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
The sugar free jello----can you do me a favor and check the label? If it has MALTITOL in it, it could be stalling you!!

Maltitol is a sugar alcohol, and some people tolerate it better than others...unfortunately, some sugar free jello has it for a main ingredient.

Check and see....because it is possible that you might be sensitive to it (aka your body reacts to it like sugar!)
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
How frustrating. I'm sorry.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
could the gain be from constipation? looks like your fiber intake is mighty low.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Could it be that you are hormonal right now? Sometimes I retain water like crazy both during the time of ovulation and the week of my period. I get maybe 2 weeks of "normal" weight.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Leftydee
Stats: 230/180/160
WOE: Atkins NDR
Start Date: February 2010
Are you sure you're getting enough vegetables? Most of your carbs should be from vegetables.
Leftydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sequins
Stats: current goal: 299 lbs
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: Pro-Atkins since 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by morechinsthan View Post
I've never eaten this many eggs in my life, could that be it?

Eek! I had a four egg omelet for lunch! :blush:
Sequins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 393743
Stats: (164/142/restart 180/168/120) 5"2'
WOE: Primal
Start Date: 8-19-10 restart 7-28-13
I've noticed some people have to avoid the sugar free Jello, could be that. Some people also have to avoid caffeine.

Have you completely finished weening the breastfeeding? How long ago did you start? For me it took a while before my breasts stopped affecting my weight.

How's your salt intake? When is your cycle?

There's no way you gained fat, it has to be water. Just need to flush it out of you.
393743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
I am so frustrated. I started induction on Aug 2 and for two weeks I followed the diet as written. I started out as 170 and at one point in the 2 weeks I was at 166 but on the 2 week anniversary I weighed 170. If I've lost inches it isn't obvious. I took some "before" photos and I look exactly the same now.

So anyway, after 2 weeks I figured I was in that small percentage that needed to do the fat fast. It is the 2nd day of that and when I stepped on the scale this morning it read 174. How can this be??? 4 pounds in 3 days? I haven't eaten ANY sugar in almost 3 weeks!!

I had a baby 3 months ago and I recently weaned from breastfeeding which I could understand making weight loss maybe slower, but gaining?
First, having so recently had a baby and having recently breastfed and then stopped; your body needs time to adjust.

Second, I see a lot of dairy and few veggies in your menu.

Third, I think that maybe your anxiousness for losing weight might be frustrating you. You haven't been "doing Atkins" for very long at all - a total of 23 days.

Go according to the book (which does not suggest a fast after losing weight on induction. Instead, try a new, clean induction, including veggies, limit dairy, drink water and be patient.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlyfechrysalis View Post
First, having so recently had a baby and having recently breastfed and then stopped; your body needs time to adjust.

Second, I see a lot of dairy and few veggies in your menu.

Third, I think that maybe your anxiousness for losing weight might be frustrating you. You haven't been "doing Atkins" for very long at all - a total of 23 days.

Go according to the book (which does not suggest a fast after losing weight on induction. Instead, try a new, clean induction, including veggies, limit dairy, drink water and be patient.
There is not a lot of dairy in the menu she listed and she stated she stopped all dairy the second week in but I do agree there's not many veggies. But if you read Atkins she should be losing low veggies or not and she did not lose on the fat fast. Even if you were told your thyroid tests are in the "normal" range you can still have thyroid disease. I had to have a total thyroidectomy last year and my test results were all in "normal" ranges. It depends where your test results fall in these ranges and your symptoms. Most docs test TSH and this is not even a test of the thyroid but the pituitary. TSH=thyroid stimulating hormone and is produced by the pituitary gland not the thyroid. Maybe a checkup is in order-things can change for women after the birth of a baby. Hope you figure things out!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cldp2107
is half and half allowed on induction?
cldp2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
There is not a lot of dairy in the menu she listed and she stated she stopped all dairy the second week in but I do agree there's not many veggies. !

You're probably right. I'm sensitive to dairy stalls and hwc, cheese cubes and string cheese in one day would stall me. I may be seeing more to it than most people would have trouble with.

I do think that the pace/impatience is working against the OP. I saw that macadamia nuts were included the the OP's fat fast. Aren't they too carby for a fat fast? Isn't that why nuts are pretty far on the Atkins ladder?
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlyfechrysalis View Post
You're probably right. I'm sensitive to dairy stalls and hwc, cheese cubes and string cheese in one day would stall me. I may be seeing more to it than most people would have trouble with.

I do think that the pace/impatience is working against the OP. I saw that macadamia nuts were included the the OP's fat fast. Aren't they too carby for a fat fast? Isn't that why nuts are pretty far on the Atkins ladder?
No they are included on the Fat Fast-it's not regular Atkins Induction-more of a short term test to see if there are metabolic problems for those who are not losing on Atkins Induction. If you can't lose on Atkins Induction and then the Fat Fast a docs appt is recommended to check for metabolic issues such as insulin resistance, thyroid problems, hormonal problems etc.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucretia
Stats: 250/211/145-Female: 5'3"-27 yr old.
Start Date: July 2010
I would assume the weight gain may be from low fiber content of your menu, causing slower BMs. I would suggest adding docusate sodium ( a stool softener ), and sugar free Metamucil (or any sugar free psyllium dietary fiber supplement) to your diet, drinking more water, and adding more veggies to your menu as well.
Lucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinking_Violet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequins View Post
Eek! I had a four egg omelet for lunch! :blush:
Nope, nothing to do with the eggs - I very often get through 6 a day. Eggs don't deserve the bad rep they appear to have acquired.They are an EXCELLENT source of protein (in fact, egg protein is the most bioavailable form of protein possible and is the 'gold standard' by which the bioavailability of all other proteins are measured (it has a PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score) of 1, there can be nothing higher.) meaning your body can not find a protein source with a better conversion rate to muscle! This is critical component in achieving phenomenal muscle growth, not surprising as eggs contain many naturally occurring highly anabolic substrates. When the protein levels and substrates are enhanced to optimise absorption you get a highly anabolic protein.

The claims about egg yolk being high in 'bad' cholesterol have been completely disproved! Eat eggs - eat lots and lots and lots of eggs!
Shrinking_Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MustDoIt
Stats: 197.5/132
Start Date: Restarted 05/31/11
Use pork skins (crushed up) to coat your fish and chicken before you fry.

Keep a large salad in refrig, so when you get hungry you can scoop up a cup right quick. Eat 2 cups for lunch

At dinner eat 1/2 cup veggies and 1/2 cup or more salad.

Should not eat more than 3 oz meat for (breakfast/lunch/dinner) each meal

I believe you are eating too much cheese, keep eggs down to 2 per day.

Lastly, try to drink 8 ounces of water every hour until dinner. Drink your first glass as soon as your feet hit the floor in the AM.

Hopes that help
MustDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christie5683
Stats: 185/176/145
WOE: Atkins/ LC
Start Date: July 13, 2012
Don't feel bad. I started the induction the 3 rd of Jan 2011. Lost 6 lbs the first 10 days. Got on the scale today and now am only 3 lbs down!!!!! Hopefully it is just water weight. I drink about a gallon h20 a day to stay flushed out. Just have to stick with it I guess
christie5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by christie5683 View Post
Don't feel bad. I started the induction the 3 rd of Jan 2011. Lost 6 lbs the first 10 days. Got on the scale today and now am only 3 lbs down!!!!! Hopefully it is just water weight. I drink about a gallon h20 a day to stay flushed out. Just have to stick with it I guess
9 lbs in 14 days is a great loss!
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fish
Stats: 299/259/225
WOE: modified paleo
Start Date: 05/01/13
My wife had this problem, but was then tested as allergic to milk, wheat, mushrooms, soy, egg, peanuts, and a couple of other things. The allergies kept her inflamed and holding weight, even on some pretty extreme diets.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hope2bthin
Stats: 5'7" 201.8/146/138
WOE: Atkins Main. +high protein+cal. deficit 4 wt loss
Start Date: 1/8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by morechinsthan View Post

I had a baby 3 months ago and I recently weaned from breastfeeding which I could understand making weight loss maybe slower, but gaining? What can I do? If drinking soda and beer maintains my weight but dieting makes me gain then I don't know what is going on.

My typical menu on induction was as follows (and I had no fake chocolate or any salty meats (i dont like bacon)

breakfast:

3 eggs, boiled
coffee, 1 tbl heavy cream

lunch:

fried fish, shrimp, or chicken in olive oil
romaine lettuce w/ olive oil and red wine vinegar

dinner:

steak, hamburger, or chicken

snacks:

cheese cubes (i stopped all dairy in the 2nd week though)
sugar free jell-o
boiled eggs
string cheese

I did eat garlic with several meals. But not huge amounts.

I started the fat fast yesterday. I ate 30 macadamia nuts and a couple ounces of chevre. I was hungry and faint when I went to bed. When I stepped on the scale this morning it read 174.

So far today I've eaten one whole egg and two egg whites scrambled and that is it. I dont know what to eat today. I dont want to gain any more weight. I'm afraid to eat.

BTW I had my thyroid checked and they said it was normal
You sound like me. Had the same exact experience in induction. Then I cut cheese, dairy, nuts and switched to lean proteins with salad greens and dressing with 4carb per serving. Increased to water to 3/4 gallon and now the weight is falling off. List like 6 pounds this week it's crazy. I think fat, dairy, nuts makes me retain water or something. Because 6 pounds in a week can't be fat. Try this. Maybe it will help you. I'll look back to see how things are going for u. So few people have our problem during induction. It's really quite rare. But I see from what you've written we have same metabolism. Would be interesting if this resolves your weight gain like me.

Last edited by hope2bthin; 03-15-2014 at 09:50 PM..
hope2bthin is offline   Reply With Quote