Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chef Momi
Stats: 160/145/120
Start Date: 3/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainielou View Post
This is the best way I've found to use the noodles. . .I used to eat at a Vietnamese pho house once a week before lc'ing. . .tried ordering the soup with no noodles but it wasn't the same. . .so I started making this faux pho. . .it's really delicious and the noodles work perfectly. I try to ignore the "end result" with these noodles 'cause for this soup it's worth it.
I love Pho!! But I tried to make it with these noodles (the quick way with premaid pho broth and it was disgusting!!!!!! Could you please give me your recipe?? Thanks!! Jamie
Chef Momi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vanillay
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
Do all Shirataki noodle brands have about the same amount of carbs?
Vanillay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jumpingbean
Stats: 5'11"/135
WOE: Low carb/high fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr82bthin View Post
I love Dreamfields pasta. I've tried these noodles and just can't get past the texture either. I will try them in a soup. Thanks for the hints here.
I agree with you and I'm normally not a picky eater at all!! I will try to be brave and give the shirataki noodles another go with the tips here. I admire those of you who didn't give up on them after the first try like I did!
jumpingbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melanija
Stats: 177/171/127 5"2'
WOE: Atkins/intuitive/other
Start Date: October 28, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WldOrchidNV View Post
I agree the taste is not a problem. You can add whatever you want to fix that. My problem is the texture. It starts out sort of feeling like rubber in your mouth. No problem chewing, but when you go to swallow it is like swallowing a big logie (gob of spit). What in the world can be done to fix the texture so it doesn't make me want to hurl every time I swallow? It kicks my gag reflex in every time.
OK gross. I was going to try them....but I don't think so anymore.
melanija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanija View Post
OK gross. I was going to try them....but I don't think so anymore.
if they were slimy then that description would fit, but they are not. They are chewy and rubberbandish in texture, not like snot. They are slippery but not viscous. and they are not mushy or gooey, they are very solid in their squishyness. They are more firm than jello, as you cannot break them just by pressing with the tongue

If you have ever had rice noodles or the glass noodles from asian dishes they are similar in texture but with more chewiness.

One thing is not to sauce it with something incompatible. just try it as plain as possible the first time so there is no conflicting flavors/textures etc. and you can make a judment from there.

My first experiences were in Japan and so I had it with light broth, simmered vegetables and meats.

Tomato or cream or other pasta type sauces that are supposed to "stick" to pasta, won't really stick to these gelatinous "noodles" and will just pool and slip about.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I put them in my blender with some broth and just "pulse" them very quickly into about the size of rice. Then add them to soup. Quite nice, no chewing, no problem swallowing. Just nice and filling.
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: daisylou
Stats: 282/242/150
WOE: RNY, low carb
Start Date: Dec 13, 2010
I have not had any luck finding these noodles, where are you all buying them? Does Walmart sell them???
daisylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lumbeepride713
Stats: 353/330/190
WOE: Atkins/gluten free
Start Date: restart 3/22/11
i stay away from them just for the fact they are tofu......that texture just does not appeal to me and being hypothyroid i try to avoid anything SOY
lumbeepride713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mine are not soy. The ones mixed with soy are softer, and have 20 calories per serving instead of zero. The "miracle noodles" or ones like them have no soy in them.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylou View Post
I have not had any luck finding these noodles, where are you all buying them? Does Walmart sell them???
Go to an asian grocery, and look in the refrigerated section. They are packed in water and must stay cold.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyflower
Stats: 307/280/240 (mini goal)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart - 02/16/11
I found mine at Meijer.
ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wowof6
ALFREDO SHIRATAKE NOODLE RECIPE

I took the suggestion of rinsing/draining noodles well. I patted dry as possible w/ papertowels b4 sauteing noodles for a couple mins to dry out in a little olive oil, w/ salt & pepper. I previously used angel hair, but just tried the fettuccini style & liked them way better! I used the Konjac Brand, bcuz I like the idea of not needing to b stored in refrigerator. They r just as good as ones that need refrigeration, & cheaper. The bags r larger also!
I used half bag per serving & put other half in fridge for nxt day.Makes a super easy, quick meal when ur on the run this way. Am going to prepare a couple bags next time & divide in serving size bags for quick meals for the week.
I had some chopped onion in a ziplock bag in fridge. (I also chop up other veggies & store them in ziplock bags in frig for quick add ins 2 dishes.)

* Super Simple Fettuccini Alfredo *

half bag of Fettuccini style shiratake noodles (rinsed/drained/patted dry/&sauted)
few T. of jarred Alfredo Sauce
Chopped cooked Bacon (as much or as little as you like)
Chopped onion

Prep: Saute all ingredients over med. high heat until flavors are absorbed in noodles & onions are tender. Sprinkle w/ some fresh grated Parmesan Cheese if you like.

You can add chicken, crush a little fresh garlic in it, add a few froz peas thawed in microwave & make it Carbonara style!!

You can also add any other meats or veggies you prefer. You can switch up the sauce too. Just takes a little sauce to flavor noodles & other ingredients w/ this method.

Use your favorite oriental veggies & prebottled sauces. A little sauce goes a long way if you infuse the flavor into noodles after removing a lot of the moisture. Otherwise you water down the flavor by not patting them dry & then saute out of the the moisture.

If you use them for soups & such the texture seems 2 b helped by the initial prepping of the noodles as described. I hope you find this info helpful! So far this was the most delicious way I found 2 prepare them!!! Can't wait til tomorrow 2 do the Carbonara Sauce!
wowof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Edie121
Stats: 364/230/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 3/12/2012
Hello, brand new, both here and this is my first day following Atkins.
Was wondering if you can use shiratake noodles in tuna noodle casserole,
or would that be wrong?
Edie121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Edie121,

You could but don't expect it to taste just like regular tuna noodle casserole. Some people are happy to put cream or tomato sauce on the noodles as a sub for spaghetti, but it doesn't taste anything like spaghetti, and doesn't cling to sauce like a flour noodle does.

You can try it and see, but try to change your thinking from 'this is tuna noodle casserole like I usually have" and think "This is a new creation I'm trying, lets see what it's like" and be prepared to keep an open mind about the taste and texture.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Edie121
Stats: 364/230/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 3/12/2012
Shiratake

Thanks Metga!

Hmm, maybe I'll try them in a soup or
stir fry the first time out and go from
there. Thanks for your input.
Edie121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RoLo-Diva
THANK YOU

I have tried to stomach shirataki noodles on and off for years but always found I couldn't get past the rubbery texture. The cooking tips in this thread (pan frying especially) worked wonders for me today and I wolfed down a bag with steamed broccoli and sugar-free teriyaki sauce. I had to log in and thank you all for posting such wonderful information! God, I the internet
RoLo-Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dfs405
I agree-i boiled them for 30 minutes then drained and patted dry and did a saute in butter before using and they actually came out pretty good-thanks for the heads up
dfs405 is offline   Reply With Quote