Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Sweet Potatoes?!?

ok, heres the deal.

I eat general low-carb, not on induction.

I want to add sweet potatoes to my diet! should i be adding them a little at a time, maybe a peice a couple time a day or just a little piece once a day at first?

does anyone here eat sweet potatoes on OWL? or is this something people only eat when on maintenance?

I have not lost all the weight i want to and dont want this to cause a gain or make me unable to lose more..

Whats your opinion on these guys??? my husband works for a sweet potato farm. so (at my request) he brought me home a BIG bag yesterday and I am wondering how i should go about adding them into my diet.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all replies

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Noone have anything to say about sweet potatoes?? lol
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Angela, since you are doing a more moderate approach to low-carb, do you have a daily range that you try to stay within? Do you count your carbs or just stay away from certain food groups?

4 ounces (by weight, not volume) of baked sweet potato contains 23.5 grams of carbs and 3.7 grams of fiber.

1/2 cup, boiled without the skin, mashed, contains 29.1 grams of carbs and 4.1 grams of fiber.

Would your low-carb plan allow for that many carbs at one time? Like I said, I have no idea if you're eating 40 a day or 100 a day, generally speaking.

It's up to you, but if it were me, I'd only try a very small portion on three days in the same week, keeping everything else about your food pretty much the same, and see if it appeared to give you cravings or otherwise impact your weight loss.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
I found Dr Atkins advice about only having a new to us food 3 times the first week we eat it a very good rule to follow. so try a small serving of your sweet tators one day with some fat to help stableize your blood sugar and take good notes on how you feel, did you have hunger or cravings after eating it? any abdominal discomfort that day or the next? did the I wants appear a few hours after you ate it.

you know how those should be answered and it the results were good then have a bit more 2 days later and repeat the questions. If the answers were not good then wait until you are closer to goal weight to try again.

after the week is up check your weight and measurements and see if you are still shedding body fat. if so then you know you can handle sweet taters in the amount you ate.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Mmm sweet potato.... They are a very healthy veggie but ya carbolicious. Oh and what the professors above me said, I agree with that.
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Every other day
According to the low glycemic approach a yam/sweet potato are more desirable than the traditional "white" potato. They induce a much lower insulin repsonse, etc. when I eat out, I notice now that many restaurants are giving a yam/sweet potato option as opposed to the traditional potato/sour cream/chives.

I think when you hit Lifetime Maintanence a sweet potato here and there wouldn't be disasterous.
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses. I made about half of a medium/small sweet potato into 'fries' but baked them instead of actually frying them. Did that 2 days in a row. I am still seeing trace on my ketostix and I did not get any cravings or bad feelings afterwards as i usually do after i have sugar or too much carbs. Its TOM since 2 days ago so i know my weight is not something to judge by right now and I tried having some chicken right after eating them just to be sure that wasnt the only fuel in there at any one time. . I hadn't been able to check the forum all day yeserday because my hoe internet has been acting up. But i decided to check from my cell this morning.

I sort of fluctuate right now. Most days I stay below 20 net carbs per day. But ihave been up to about 60 depending on the day and find that as long as i don't go too far over that, I don't start feeling bad or having cravings.

I ill try to post better replies once my internet issues are fixed (hopefully today am) .. its difficult from my phone.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses. I made about half of a medium/small sweet potato into 'fries' but baked them instead of actually frying them. Did that 2 days in a row. I am still seeing trace on my ketostix and I did not get any cravings or bad feelings afterwards as i usually do after i have sugar or too much carbs. Its TOM since 2 days ago so i know my weight is not something to judge by right now and I tried having some chicken right after eating them just to be sure that wasnt the only fuel in there at any one time. . I hadn't been able to check the forum all day yeserday because my hoe internet has been acting up. But i decided to check from my cell this morning.

I sort of fluctuate right now. Most days I stay below 20 net carbs per day. But ihave been up to about 60 depending on the day and find that as long as i don't go too far over that, I don't start feeling bad or having cravings.

I ill try to post better replies once my internet issues are fixed (hopefully today am) .. its difficult from my phone.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
congrats on your self control in not eating a whole sweet potato and in discovering you can eat some sweetpotato as part of your atkins OWL.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks I guess i just only cut up half of one at a time, that way when i do want more, i have to start all over hehe. and that includes waiting the 30 minutes or so it takes for them to cook up good, so i kinda make it hard on myself to over do it lol

I hope to be able to keep adding them in a couple days a week, and if i still see loss on the scale this month, then i will be super excited
Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
ohhh! have you tried boiling sweet potatoes, mash them, add a splash of milk (enough to get the consistency you want, i don't like it too wet) then maybe a dash of Splenda or sweetener? We had that (minus the Splenda of course) as a snack when I was a kid. Love it. I miss sweet potatoes!
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollkey View Post
ohhh! have you tried boiling sweet potatoes, mash them, add a splash of milk (enough to get the consistency you want, i don't like it too wet) then maybe a dash of Splenda or sweetener? We had that (minus the Splenda of course) as a snack when I was a kid. Love it. I miss sweet potatoes!
Never even heard of that! sounds SOO good though! will have to try that. I guess its kinda like mashed potatoes, but sweet.

my sis in law makes something she called sweet potato crunch around holiday times.. now that you brought that up i may try to make that.... just like u said and then rebake them in a pan with some pecans or other nuts on top yummmmm.

my secret-- we have been reading/hearing that sweet potatoes increase chances of concieving twins by 10% when consumed often. (have no idea why that would work) but since we are planning on trying for baby #2 this summer, he brought home a whole bag from work and even if that doesnt work out, they are so good for you, its actually on the list of foods for fertility and overall health before concieving so.... thats really why i wanted to find a way of working them into my diet.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
Sweet potatoes grow abundantly here. I also LOVE the sweet potato tops (the leaves that grow on top?). If you can find that, it makes the best salad. Blanched, add tomato slices, lime juice with a little sweetener, onions and maybe sliced hard boiled egg. YUM!

Wish you the best with the trying
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
I eat sweet potatoes once a week. I mash mine with butter and tons of oldbay (sooooo goooood). Hubby gets most of them, I only give myself about 1/4 to 1/3 a cup of them though, they're very flavorful and good for you even if they're loaded with carbs.
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote