Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BobbyX
Stats: 330/270/240???
WOE: My own Low Carb/No Carb
Start Date: January 2010
I'm going to Disney World!

So, in 25 days, my family and I are headed to Disney World. I have already begun the internal debate with myself about indulging myself with some carb type foods while there. Maybe an ice cream cone or a crunchy chicken finger smothered in bbq sauce. What a great temptation!

How have you coped during times like this? Do you allow yourself to indulge a bit, (aka cheating) or do you stick to your guns and stick to your protein?
BobbyX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fembomb
Stats: Highest 210/198/118
WOE: Atkins + HHCG (Fishy Vegetarian)
Start Date: Atkins since 1998
oh you are SOOOOOOOO Lucky!!!!! i envy you..i havent got to go since the new year 2000 ..ten years ago!! i go to disneyland all the time and have gone many many times since i began Atkins 12 years ago..its not hard at all..first of all you are going to be walking a Lot!! and World is HUGE..so make use of all the walking you can get in..i mean if it doesnt aggravate the rest of your family...our family calls it the Disney Workout bc the first day can be rather physically gruelling with all the walking and standing..
when i go to disney its the only time i really 'eat out' and the truth is..there are a lot of Atkins friendly dishes in the restaurants...you can also ask for extra butter or mayo on the side...i always drink Atkins friendly spirits there..and i allow myself one or two days to drink the draft beer ..oh it is Very Delicious!! once or twice a year i will go to the bakery on main and get a pastry..once in a blue moon i will have ice cream cone from the parlour or one of those mickey frozen treats from a cart..i might have a bit of popcorn..i always drink diet sodas and/or water..they can make all kinds of awesome coffee drinks with Sugar Free Davinci ..but i skip the sugar whipped cream..
basically i allow myself moderate diviations..and the beer i consider Not moderate..
i can tell you ..i have Never gained a single pound on a Disney Vacation..
and More times than i can even count.. i have actually lost weight..and dont forget they have gyms at World if you want to do some extra cardio..i never have found the need ..but that is always an option..and at World there are Many Physical activities to burn fat...like the water parks or swimming with sharks or whatever it is they have..
You are Sooooo Lucky!! You are going to have the Most Most FUN!!!

ps ..i forgot to add..the only restaurant at Land..which is open after midnight.. is the one which serves fries and nacho chips..sometimes i have eaten either or both..simply bc no other restaurant is open after that hour..i have also been known to drink irish coffee in the evening With the sugar filled whipped cream...

i say..Indulge..but dont go insane with it..choose your favorite foods..and dont freak out if you are in a bind and have to eat Atkins Unfriendly food..believe me..you will burn it!!

Last edited by fembomb; 02-21-2010 at 02:13 AM..
fembomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks fembomb!

Yes, I am so excited. Disney World is my favorite place, and I know what kind of food I was acustom to. I use an excellent website to check out the restaurant menus. Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World I already know I will be eating at Cosmic Ray's, Rotissere Chicken. I'll be eating at Canada Steakhouse and having cheese omlets with bacon for breakfast.

The past time I was there was in 2007, and I probably gained 5 lbs. I don't forsee this happening again. I am planning on sticking to my guns, with slight induldgences, but not enough to kick me out of ketosis. I'll bring my ketosix to keep me in check.

Thanks again for your feedback.. very motivational!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

oh gosh..naming off those restaurants makes me Very Jealous!!! you are going to be in Disney Heaven...Lucky Lucky Lucky You!!!

well when you gained before you werent being mindful of atkins WOE..i never have a problem..the exercise is just enough to burn the cheating carbs right off..even Beer!!
good idea on the stix..

you are very welcome for feedback..go into it with confidence..and dont act like each meal will be your last..you will get more out of the eating experiences if you take it easy..there is sooo much Delicious food to choose from..no way you can eat it all in one trip..

you are SOOOOOOO LUCKY!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gardendog
Stats: 183+/151/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov. 09
I would be worried that I would be back on the sugar thing and have cravings etc if I cheat.

I went on an all inclusive cruise and had ZERO fruity cocktails, ZERO bowls of sugar ice cream, ZERO rolls, bread, pastries etc etc.

I did have a low carb cocktail every evening (gin + diet tonic) and a glass of wine with dinner. My splurge was to have sugar free ice cream on two occasions for dessert and once a sugar free flour less cake.

I thoroughly enjoyed salads with chicken, fish and veal for lunch, eggs and meat for breakfast, berries and unsweetened cream, and the low carb dinner option (so nothing breaded). I did not feel deprived. I felt good!

I had a Wonderful time on the cruise. I felt good, I worked out, moderately, and have no cravings coming home.

For me, it works better not to take "days off" from the diet, but make it part of my life.

FWIW, my 2 cents
gardendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I love all the feedback... I think Ill wait until I hit my goal weight or even below before I induldge in something that I've truly missed. Pizza! Not any pizza, a good ole pizza from my favorite place.

I am such a Disney nut! I was last at Disneyland in 2008 and the world in 2007. 23 days and counting!

Thanks for your cruise vacation experience. It would be ashame to loose all this momenteum.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
just remember to take a snack you can eat with you in case the line for the resturant is long or you are late getting a meal. All the walking you will be doing there should help burn off some of the carbs and food you will be having.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

You guys are great! This feedback is so much appreciated and inspirational. I worry about eating while on vacation yet it does become a chore at home as well. I wish I had the inspiration, patientence and ability to get all the ingredients, measure, mix and make some of the recipies I have found.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

i also think taking Atkins friendly snacks is a good idea..
with me..just for my life in general...no matter where i am..at home or Disney..i try not to ever get starving and Tired..if both those things happen to me...i will lose my mind and perspective..i set myself to be vunerable to temptation..and possible food insanity..
dont let yourself get starving before you go eat..especially if you are wore out from walking..crowds ..and whatnot..then you are less likely to make unwise food choices..

your excitement makes me wish i could plan a trip for this year..if it was close to me i would..i Love Epcot!! and i have had a beer in Every land..asian beer is pretty yukky..especially the chinese kind..
one of my sisters got to go in 2005..she went to the animal park and one of the water parks and swam with sharks(still dont know if its sharks or not..some dangerous animal)
i never got to do any of that...i have only been 2 times in my whole life..the first time i was 13 and i got strep throat the first day and had to spend the rest of the vacation in the hotel with my mum UGH..then the second time was for new years 2000..and i mostly spent it at Epcot and MGM..i enjoy Disneyland Magic Kingdom better than the one at World..but the other stuff at world AmaZes me..i wish i could live there..now that would be a dream come true..
btw ..did i mention you are L U C K Y!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Leacat2
Stats: 150/145/140.8/137.4/120 5'3"
Start Date: 1/6/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyX View Post
Yes, I am so excited. Disney World is my favorite place, and I know what kind of food I was acustom to. I use an excellent website to check out the restaurant menus. Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World I already know I will be eating at Cosmic Ray's, Rotissere Chicken. I'll be eating at Canada Steakhouse and having cheese omlets with bacon for breakfast.

The past time I was there was in 2007, and I probably gained 5 lbs. I don't forsee this happening again. I am planning on sticking to my guns, with slight induldgences, but not enough to kick me out of ketosis. I'll bring my ketosix to keep me in check.

Thanks again for your feedback.. very motivational!
OMG! I'm going there March 17-24 too! I've been wondering how I can stash a weeks worht of food into my suitcase so I can eat for the week. Then I saw your post and LOL! Too funny.
Leacat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Hey Leecat

Check out that website, it's got all the Disney Resort Menu's! Are you staying on Disney Property? We are staying and All Star Sports.

Ill look for someone eating Meat with no carbs and Ill know it's you!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Check out that website, it's got all the Disney Resort Menu's! Are you staying on Disney Property? We are staying and All Star Sports.

Ill look for someone eating Meat with no carbs and Ill know it's you!
LOL

Staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Thanks for the website info. I've been looking into low-carbing at WDW myself. I have the meal plan and from what I remember from last time I was there I'll be having an interesting time finding good options at the quick service places but the restaurants are pretty good at preparing what you like (my son also has a peanut allergy and they're awesome about that). Was up in the air about going to SeaWorld again, guess yesterdays tragedy helped with that decision.

LOVE WDW and I'm going to have a good time and maybe let myself indulge a llittle bit
Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sea06003
hello everyone! this is my first post on this site but I saw disney world and I had to write. I'm also going soon! I leave in about a week and am also nervous about doing my low carb diet there! Were staying at the Animal Kingdom hotel so hopefully they have some good but carb friendly food there
sea06003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Hey all you Disney Freaks!!

i had an idea..since all you ppl are going to Disney..
if its not too much trouble..you could all gather information while you are there..
and when you return you could enlighten others..
information such as..
the best restaurants to eat in..
and what meals did you choose that were delicious and Atkins friendly..
the gyms..
and the physical activities available..
restaurants..situations..and mistakes .. to avoid..and so on..
that would be really nice of you all..
i can do the same when i go to land..
i wish i had tracked it all in the past..
and from now on i will..
but alas..i dont know when i will get to go again...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: travellost
Stats: 186/170/140
Start Date: 4/28/2013
It is wonderful all of you are going to Disney. I agree many of the catch and catch can type of food service do not do low carb. A real restaurant I have found always works.
I am like fembomb as I take a break from being strict but I am watch full and make every carb count. I do love ice cream and I am allowed followed by a good long walk. But each to our own needs. Cravings are not my problem so allowing some variation when I am on vacation does not set me up to fail when I get home. I just go back to inductance and lose some more.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 209/202/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 3/14/11
There is an article on allears, but it's pretty old.

Low Carb Dining at WDW

When I went last September, I had lowcarbed for a couple of months. I wasn't particulary strict about my diet. But because my family and I are in the parks from open to close, I lost a little weight. If it's a busy vacation, you might be able to get away with some off-plan eating. If it's a sit around the pool and take it easy type of trip, I'd stick to finding LC foods.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellost View Post
It is wonderful all of you are going to Disney. I agree many of the catch and catch can type of food service do not do low carb. A real restaurant I have found always works.
I am like fembomb as I take a break from being strict but I am watch full and make every carb count. I do love ice cream and I am allowed followed by a good long walk. But each to our own needs. Cravings are not my problem so allowing some variation when I am on vacation does not set me up to fail when I get home. I just go back to inductance and lose some more.
i agree with this and an Important point has been introduced..
anyone reading this Disney Thread..if you STILL CRAVE...
DONT GO OFF PLAN!!
i am same in that my cravings are DEAD!! so i am not risking anything..
going off plan at Disney doesnt cause me to binge or make my life a living nightmare again..if it did..i sure wouldnt risk it!!
so if you are still fighting cravings..your body is not ready to go off plan..if that is the case..Dont Do IT..jmo..
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Yes, I would be more than willing to share my low carb dining experience at Disney. It will be one more motivating factor as wel!

I am not having any cravings but I do miss pizza and friend foods. Also miss BBQ sauce, but again, Im not craving these things. I've decided it's really going to take something huge for me to consider breaking away from this low carb diet. Heck, I've lost 35 lbs in 7 weeks, I don't want to just lose all momentum for a slice of mediocor pizza!

Can you hear me convincing myself? LOL

20 days, 12 hours and 20 minutes until my plane leaves for sunny Orlando!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes, I would be more than willing to share my low carb dining experience at Disney. It will be one more motivating factor as wel!

I am not having any cravings but I do miss pizza and friend foods. Also miss BBQ sauce, but again, Im not craving these things. I've decided it's really going to take something huge for me to consider breaking away from this low carb diet. Heck, I've lost 35 lbs in 7 weeks, I don't want to just lose all momentum for a slice of mediocor pizza!

Can you hear me convincing myself? LOL

20 days, 12 hours and 20 minutes until my plane leaves for sunny Orlando!

Have a great vacation! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for us both... I can see me on the lookout for another "meat eating" friend
Old 02-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: that1redhead
Stats: 240/203/145
Start Date: 1/8/04 restart 1/1/2014
Garden Grocer will deliver to your hotel room. We ordered online water and pop and a few snacks to have when we arrived. We would pack us each a water and some snacks every morning. Cheaper and better for us.
that1redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
Start Date: July 30, 2009
It is EASY to find low carb food at Disney. I go there all the time.

The places that sell BBQ wil have half chickens that are spiced like BBQ, but taste fairly low carb.

The ice cream places have LC ice cream.

The turkey legs are good.

A couple of burger bays have sauteed mushrooms and onions to load on the burgers. I can't remember the names, though.

If you ask any worker for any kind of food, he should be able to pull out a little booklet and look up the nearest place to find it.
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy-FL View Post
It is EASY to find low carb food at Disney. I go there all the time.

The places that sell BBQ wil have half chickens that are spiced like BBQ, but taste fairly low carb.

The ice cream places have LC ice cream.

The turkey legs are good.

A couple of burger bays have sauteed mushrooms and onions to load on the burgers. I can't remember the names, though.

If you ask any worker for any kind of food, he should be able to pull out a little booklet and look up the nearest place to find it.
Awesome! Thanks Joy...
Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
Did you guys get your free tickets?

Give A Day Get A Disney Day | What Will You Celebrate? | Disney Parks
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

14 more days to Disney and dining!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anulu
Quote:
14 more days to Disney and dining!
Rub it in
anulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Oh, I have to say, don't eat at the British pub or the Mexican pyramid at Epcot. Both have HC menus.
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy-FL View Post
Oh, I have to say, don't eat at the British pub or the Mexican pyramid at Epcot. Both have HC menus.
Too funny..havent been in a decade..
and i ate at both these places!!
now what on earth is HC about fish and chips? black and tan?
chips and dip? enchiladas and rice?
its so fun that the ride goes thru the Mexican Rest..
the same thing with the Pirates of the Caribbean and the Blue Bayou at Land..
i love eating in Blue Bayou..but their food is so yukky..
not necessarily HC..but it tastes yukky to me always..
its enjoyable to at least sit inside and watch the ride...
cause its night in there
Old 03-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Don't mean to...

Don't mean to be rubbing it in! We discovered a great deal on the Disney Dining plan where you can eat at counter service restaurants and the kids eat free. It's going to be a challenge... but then again, most days are. I'll have a full report on my Disney Dining LC experience! 4.5 days to go!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: that1redhead
Stats: 240/203/145
Start Date: 1/8/04 restart 1/1/2014
Have fun!
that1redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Randy
Stats: 277/247/187
I'm headed that way Sunday, 3/21!

My plan is to have lc snacks with me (nuts, protein bars) and lc is no problem at most sit-down restaurants. You do need to plan ahead for eating at the stands and lower price locations, some of them just won't work.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote