Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Any low carb grits ou there? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/610484-any-low-carb-grits-ou-there.html)

Munchie1984 03-26-2009 04:22 PM

Any low carb grits ou there?
 
Any of you know of any low carb grits. I miss them.:(

2big4mysize 03-27-2009 08:47 AM

yes and no
there is a soy based version that some folk like. other try ground hazel nuts.

if you can find some high maize corn bran you can make a corn flavored fairly low carb grits and pollenta

eklektos 03-29-2009 12:35 PM

Mmmmm...polenta. I have to admit that I can go without bread. I don't need cake. But I do miss polenta. Grits too. Shrimp and grits.
If you find something that you thinks works well, Munchie, please share it!

2Big, I've never heard of the high maize corn bran. I'll have to search for that too once I'm closer to goal. (Can't do soy.)

Munchie1984 03-29-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklektos (Post 11762725)
Mmmmm...polenta. I have to admit that I can go without bread. I don't need cake. But I do miss polenta. Grits too. Shrimp and grits.
If you find something that you thinks works well, Munchie, please share it!

2Big, I've never heard of the high maize corn bran. I'll have to search for that too once I'm closer to goal. (Can't do soy.)

Yea I know everything else I can go without but I do miss my grits. It would make my breakfast so much better.

Wolfgang 03-30-2009 08:17 AM

Being from Las Vegas and living in Maryland, you may find an LC substitute you'd like. For me, it would be like someone from down Maine finding a non-seafood "substitute" for lobster.

I loooove grits, was raised on them. In fact, I was raised on specifically yellow grits, which are tougher to find, and even white grits or cheese grits just don't do it for me. Fortunately, it's been a while since I took the time to make them even pre-LC, as I'm not so big on breakfast anymore. Grits are gonna have to stay on my list of "nope, just can't have 'em anymore" foods.

Munchie1984 03-30-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 11766057)
Being from Las Vegas and living in Maryland, you may find an LC substitute you'd like. For me, it would be like someone from down Maine finding a non-seafood "substitute" for lobster.

I loooove grits, was raised on them. In fact, I was raised on specifically yellow grits, which are tougher to find, and even white grits or cheese grits just don't do it for me. Fortunately, it's been a while since I took the time to make them even pre-LC, as I'm not so big on breakfast anymore. Grits are gonna have to stay on my list of "nope, just can't have 'em anymore" foods.

Yea :cry: I guess you're right.

IdahoAngel 04-06-2009 06:35 AM

I'm not a grits fan....but my BF LOVES them....He's lived in the south his entire life. Sooo, being the good GF, I bought some soy grits for him to try. All he had to say was they're horrible and did nothing for him. Now I have this big bag of soy grits and no clue what to do with them!

Munchie1984 04-06-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoAngel (Post 11796092)
I'm not a grits fan....but my BF LOVES them....He's lived in the south his entire life. Sooo, being the good GF, I bought some soy grits for him to try. All he had to say was they're horrible and did nothing for him. Now I have this big bag of soy grits and no clue what to do with them!

lol so you didn't try them? If you did how were they? I think I might try and purchase some to try it out.

2big4mysize 04-06-2009 01:07 PM

they are soy so either you like them cause you like soy or you don't.

DallasJane 04-06-2009 01:32 PM

OK Sweetheart...I'm a southerner and love grits too...it's ABSOLUTLY not the same..but it's a second choice...ok, a third choice...look at the califlower rice recipe...grind it down a bit more in your food processor...add salt, pepper and butter...close your eyes and pretend. It's the best I've found since I've given them up.

IdahoAngel 04-07-2009 05:35 AM

I'm allergic to soy so can't try them.....but he's pretty good about subbing things for items he wants and he HATED them.
I'd go with the cauliflower rice idea.....but not if you like sweet grits.....Good luck! If you find something that works, please let me know!!

turouge 04-05-2013 06:12 PM

Im going to try to make them out of lc baby corn. Mmmm, hopefully that will work!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 PM.