Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
I've also had to pack him lunches for daycare - even though they serve it. He will not even touch what they serve. So he'll go all day with no food. I started packing him pb&j - kind of... sprouted wheat bread with sunflower butter (no Peanut butter allowed at daycare) and all fruit jam, and a cheesestick.
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: rene50
Stats: snug sz 16/comfy sz 14/ comfy sz 12 5"8'
WOE: LC
Start Date: 02-13-09
2Big4MySize---thank you for the ketosis information. I feel better.

ChaseMama--at least you are introducing healthy foods into your son's diet and he is not living on chicken mcnuggets and sodas!
rene50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #213
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I'm sure that is as torturous for you as it is for him, Chase.

I applaud you for not giving him fast food. I honestly believe once they get a taste for it, they crave it. It's made the way it is on purpose, to get you "addicted" to it.

Okay, so I am going to Florida with my family for a week; leaving Thursday morning. My mom told me on the phone that she is eating low-carb these days and I shouldn't worry about having the kind of food I eat at the beach house. Nevertheless, I am worried. My mom isn't an Atkins devotee and I think she sort of cobbles together her plan without knowing what makes low-carbing work.

I know she'll have lots of cold cuts and sliced deli cheese, but everyone else (there will be four children and seven adults) will be eating that stuff too! And THEY can also have bagels, bread, chips, carrots, whatever else that I won't eat. So I'm worried that I'm going to starve to death. Cold cuts are processed and salty, and that is not what I consider to be a mainstay of three meals a day. I'm so used to cooking FRESH, real food and eating lots of veggies now. I hope can scrounge enough to eat. If they don't have enough fat-containing stuff, I swear to God I'll take tablespoons of olive oil as if they were medicine. I'm not willing to budge on this WOE and in addition to refusing carby foods, that means getting enough calories and enough FAT. I should point out that we'll be on an island, and grocery shopping for myself isn't an easy or convenient option.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peanutt,

Wow, a week at the beach sounds wonderful! It is challenging eating on plan when you are away from home. Last week, I was out of town on business and had to eat out three days. I managed to stay on plan, but it did make me nervous. Sounds like you are determined, so you should be fine. I don't eat the processed deli meat often, but in a pinch, I'll opt for the oven roasted turkey, but boy, the sodium is just awful. I know that doesn't help you with your fat intake.

I'm having trouble with breakfast--I only manage to eat breakfast about half the time. I know, I know, this is not healthy. I drink a couple of cups of coffee and my appetite is gone. I'm not ready to give up my morning coffee. How much do you think my breakfast issue is slowing me down?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

What island are you going to?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Rene - ya gotta get some fuel in your engine first thing. Do that before the coffee, or with it if you can. How about an egg cream?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, I'll give the egg cream a shot tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #218

I'd rather not say, Chase.

Well, after talking to my mom, whose "low carb" WOE includes oatmeal, the occasional baked potato, and dessert if it's a special occasion, I am not reassured.

I told her to please just make sure there are plenty of eggs in the fridge!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peanutte--I wonder if you could freeze some cooked hamburger patties and put them in a zip lock bag for traveling. Just a thought...
Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #220

Interesting suggestion, but not for my travel time. It's going to be a loooong day. I'm arriving at the airport at 8:30 a.m. and won't get to my destination until 10 or later that night.

I'll figure something out. I'm very stubborn!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #221
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
nuts and seeds for your trip
you can carry raw ones on the plane, no salt nor processed and they will be high fat moderate protein and some carbs just what Dr Atkins planned for his followers to be eating.
I freeze mine and use them as the ice pack when traveling on a plane. asl your Mother to buy you the foods you need so they will be ready when you arrive. some mayo some tuna and then you can supplement if need be.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #222

I have a can of raw almonds, some beef sticks, and four string cheeses for the plane. I could bring a few cans of tuna too, probably, if I have room in my carry-on.

I can't expect my mom to make a special trip to provide me with food for my particular needs, though, as they have to go to the mainland to grocery shop and they only do that once a week. I will have to look at it as a challenge.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Any other ideas for foods that travel well? I mean meals, not snacks. I am going out of town again next week for work and I looked at the grocery story last weekend at the LC bars and shakes, but the carbs on those just seemed too high for me. Also, the ingredients looked awful. I will only travel two hours before I can get the food to a fridge, so I don't have the same challenge as Peanutt.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peanutte--remember the TSA liquid ban going through airport security. I'm not sure about the cans of tuna. I got stopped once because of frozen Lean Cuisine (before I got back on LC). Apparently, the frozen dinner was sweating and that prohibited me from carrying it on. Silly! You might think about the tuna pouches that don't have the liquid.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #225

rene, I just flew a few weeks ago and I had looked it up on TSA ahead of time--it's okay to bring food that is in sealed packaging. They did stop me and opened up my carryon to inspect my cans of tuna and other snacks, but they just gave me a smile and said "Oh, I see you brought us lunch!" and then put it all back, winked, and waved me on. So I know the things I am bringing are okay to bring. They seem comfortable with pantry stuff; I would not try to bring anything frozen, personally. You have to bear in mind that security can do whatever they deem appropriate for safety, and they have the right to confiscate your food if they aren't sure about it, so you don't want to spend a lot of money on snacks.

I am already planning ahead in my mind because if you do not have a plan, or at least as much of a plan as possible, you are not going into the situation as strong as you could be. How many times have I heard people say they ended up eating off-plan because they were hungry or because they didn't want to hurt their host's feelings? If only they had planned to eat ahead of time or if only they had given themselves a pep talk about not worrying about people's feelings and putting yourself first!

So here's my immediate plan of attack: assess what is in the fridge. Take some lunch meats and put them in a separate baggie and write my name on it or stick it in the back of the fridge. Boil some eggs. If there is mayo (which I'm sure there will be) I can make tuna salad. Are there low carb veggies like cukes and celery? Make a stash and label it or hide it in the back. I can have olives and I can have pickles. There's sure to be cheese, and probably some cooked shrimp. It's not going to be an ideal week for me food-wise, but darn it, you can shoot me in the eye before I will let one gram of grain, starch or sugar pass my lips.

In most cases I would advise someone to say a few words to the family about the way you are eating...though in reality, for me, talking to them about it is like talking about religion. I don't care to do it. It's too important to me and it's kind of private, not because I'm embarrassed of it, but because they will not "get it" and I know that (believe me, I know!). Even people who think they know what "low carb" means usually think it means eating low FAT as well and they can't get their heads around seeing their heavier family member eating FAT. It freaks them out.

Fortunately, my family on vacation is pretty laid-back and we all pretty much fend for ourselves all day and then have a family meal at dinnertime.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peanutte---Well, good. I just remembered my experience with the Lean Cuisine and didn't want you to have any probems. I travel quite a bit for work, but I've never tried to take cans of tuna. I'll try that next week since they are cheaper than the ones in the pouches.

As far as family--I understand. I have an aunt who did LC kinda halfway years ago and she likes to advise me on what I should, or shoudn't be eating. She told me a few nights ago that I really shouldn't eat cauliflower with cheese sauce. I made the dish, so I knew it was fine! She has also advised me that red wine won't hurt a thing. Wrong. If I have anything alcholic, it will be a glass of very dry chardonnay. She does a 24 hour fast once a week, and that seems to work for her, but for me fasting just screws up my metabolism.

I know that LC works for me and I stuck to it for a few years before reverting back. I know it will work for me again. We all have to do what works for our individual bodies, so don't listen to your family members who think that you should be eating low fat. You seem pretty in-tune with what works for you.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #227

Thanks, rene--I think I am more hard-core this time around because I was still pretty thin back when I did Atkins before, and since then I have lived through being FAT for the first time in my life. and I am NOT interested in going through that again.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #228
Big Yapper!!!!

well traveling with Mother we check bags and I put a cooler in a suit case and pack that way. I love Southwest and the 50 pounds limit and 2 bags checked. I looked funny carrying on carrots and celery sticks, bagels and fruit for Mother, nuts and flax muffins for me.

If you don't want to check you can always go with the dehydrated veggies and meats you make yourself or buy in campers stores. just add bioling water to reconstitue and cook.

Are yuo flying diectly to the island or can you stop at a store on the way to the ferry from the airport?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #229

2big, it's connected to land by a long highway. It's kind of cool to drive along that road and have the ocean on both sides of you but it's scary to think about what it would be like in a storm!

My parents have already been down there for nearly a month so it's not as if they don't have the kitchen stocked. If I get there and the situation is a disaster, I am sure I can pull my dad aside and say "Hey, I know this is a pain in the rear, but can you take me on a little grocery run tomorrow? I've been working really hard on my health and I need to eat things that you guys don't have. Tell ya what, I'll take you out for breakfast on the way there!" (He doesn't mind driving into town as much as my mom would.)
Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Funny how our definition of FAT changes. Years ago, I thought a size 12 was really FAT, but now, a size 12 is my goal. Advertising in the U.S. has really screwed with our minds. At some point, we have to figure out the size/weight where we feel the healthiest. I was a size 8 in my late 20's and I felt like crap because I had dieted like crazy to get there and totally messed up my metabolism in the process. Now, in my mid-40's, I realize, where I feel and look the best.

Peauntte--the beach used to shake my confidence. I would see alll those skinny-minny size 2's and feel like a whale. I hope it doesn't affect you the same way. Remember, we are not all made to be size 2's. Have fun, enjoy your family and don't worry about your size/weight at the beach! According to your stats, I bet you look cute in a swimsuit.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #231

Oh, the one thing that's nice is I really don't give a hoot how I look in a swimsuit anymore, not around my family. We're just there to have fun and enjoy each other. Nobody cares. My mom can sit around obsessing over her own body and being down on herself like she always does; I'm not buying a ticket for that train. What's hilarious to me is I have this size 16 tankini I bought, back when I weighed around 150 and thought I was huge. It fits me fine now at 172! It must have been awfully baggy and saggy back then but I was too deluded to see it. I ordered a couple of new mix and match separates in different sizes because I wear a larger size on top than I do on the bottom, and those should come tomorrow, so we'll see if I feel happy about any of them; otherwise, I have Ol' Faithful from way back when. Honestly, why in the world I thought I needed a 16 back then is just too ridiculous to contemplate!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peanutte--Good for you--you go girl!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I blew it again this morning and didn't have breakfast. I fully intended to take ChaseMama's advise and try a an egg cream, but the morning got crazy, and once again I skipped breakfast. I have got to get my act together and break my bad habit of skipping breakfast. Lunch was pot roast and cabbage and I filled up quickly. For dinner, I plan to have grilled chicken legs that we grilled out a few nights ago and some leftover cauliflower and chesse sauce. I'm still trying to keep my carbs under 20. Other than the breakfast thing, any suggestions on what I should do differently? It is so good to be back on LC and feeling good and full of energy!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #234
Big Yapper!!!!

ROFL sorry when you wrote I blew it I was prepared to see a high carb pig out eatten post not a missed breakfast post. so you had a good blew it not a bad blew it morning.

Have you seen the egg muffins? they are basically omlettes cookes in a muffin pan and you can freeze them so you got one for the next morning every day. just pop in the microwave and eat as you go YUM. you can do eggs cheese and veggies or eggs sausage and veggies or ham and eggs with cheese or any combination you want. mix up 24 eggs in a bolw and put the cooked veggies meats and measured amounts of cheese in each muffin tin. then cover with the egg mix and bake for about 20 min until the eggs are set. you want to put the cheese in each hole so you can portion control cause if you add 12 ounces of shedded cheese to the eggs thinking you will get an ounce in each muffin you will find out the hard way you run out of cheese before you get to the last muffin hole or you have no cheese in the first couple of holes and gobs in the last one.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #235

I used to make those, and they were really good. I liked using sausage, bell pepper and Jack cheese. But any kind of cheese would be good.

I am tired and kind of crabby today. Packing for my trip is going fine--I'm organized, and all I have to do is a little more laundry. I did get my new mix-n-match tankini swimsuit delivered this morning and the size 12 bottoms with a 14 top are just perfect. These are very basic navy-blue separates. The top has a crossover V-neck and makes my midsection appear flatter than it really is, and the bottoms are quite control-toppy. Don't you love clothing that is comfortable but also makes you feel firmer and sleeker? I do.

rene, did you say you drink coffee and that is why you don't feel hungry for breakfast? I was doing that too. I found that when I cut out the coffee I was able to feel a natural hunger in the morning and was more inclined to eat breakfast within an hour of waking. If you plan ahead and have some food ready--it doesn't have to be breakfast food--you might be able to change this habit. If nothing else, a hardboiled egg and an ounce of cheese will give your body something to start with.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Yay me! Sorry, I'll try not to break my arm patting myself on the back. First "test" today of an eating situation outside of my family. Had to go out to lunch at work. I was able to pick the restaurant - planned ahead and looked up the menu for The Claim Jumper. I ordered the chopped cobb salad and the only carbs on it was this giant piece of buttery cheesey garlic bread. I put in on a plate and told the waitress to take it far far away.

Yay Peanutte with the tankini! You're going to have a great time!!!

Rene - I'll come over tomorrow morning and cook you breakfast ok?? haha
Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #237
Big Yapper!!!!

woo hoo chasemama
Peanutte have fun showing off your healtheir smaller body in your new swiiming attire.I can't believe it is swimsuit weather when our ground is still frozen.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #238

Quote:
I was able to pick the restaurant - planned ahead and looked up the menu for The Claim Jumper.
YES! Smart smart woman.

Quote:
I ordered the chopped cobb salad and the only carbs on it was this giant piece of buttery cheesey garlic bread. I put in on a plate and told the waitress to take it far far away.
Nicely done! Out of sight, out of mind--out of mouth! Seriously, you did great. Don't you feel strong and good?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the egg muffin idea. They sound very good. I am drinking coffee, and I agree that is probably what is killing my appetite. That is a good idea to eat something before I drink my coffee. I drink two large cups with heavy cream and a splash of Almond Breeze Chocolate non-dairy beverage. I just discovered the almond milk stuff and it is 3 carbs for 8 oz, but I only use a little bit in my coffee, so I'm figuring 1 carb. I also use a packet of SweetLeaf (0 carbs). It is really some rich, yummy coffee.

Peanuttee--sounds like you are going to be looking good on the beach!

ChaseMama--Glad you were able to win against that evil ol' piece of garlic bread!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #240

Well, I'm off! See you next Thursday, ladies! I hope it's a good week for you all.