Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #181
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
it appears kerbear does not want any PMs so we can't contact her.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Well, remember I said I was going to rearrange the spare room? I just did! It took some effort, since we also use that room for storage and there were lots of boxes of stuff that needed to be moved and stacked...which was, by the way, good exercise, heh heh. Then I was able to move the elliptical back and put it on a diagonal such that I can watch TV on it and/or look out the windows while listening to music. God, I hate all those boxes. I'd like to haul them all down to the basement, frankly, and I would go ahead and do it but I feel it would be more respectful to wait and ask my boyfriend if he has any objections. He gets kind of fussy when I do stuff to "his things" without asking. (Most of the boxes are of his old books and CDs and crap like that.)

Boy, it feels good to have done that! Then I hopped on the elliptical to see if it was still working OK, and it needed new batteries for the console, so I changed those. It's a Nordic Track model and doesn't use any electricity.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wendysmiling
Stats: 250/128 now 200/154/135 5'5"
I start OWL on Sunday. I too... stayed with induction for the most part before. I guess that's why I ended up switching to S Beach. Not that there is anything wrong w/ SB... I just want to do this by the book.
wendysmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #184
Big Yapper!!!!

woo an exercise room for Peanutte

having lost a lot of old books and stuff in a flooded basement I can understand your DH wanting to keep them upstairs.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heatherdazy
Stats: highest ever: 214 (2004) this time:164/159/105
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDDD
Start Date: Switch from Atkins to JUDDDD April 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMama View Post
I need to come up with some good Mexican food ideas.
Do you live near a food city? They practically GIVE food away. I eat tons of Mexican food when I'm lcing (okay, and when I'm not...)

Machaca and eggs
Carne Asada
Nachos with pork rinds
Pork Carnitas <--- DH's favorite!
Fajitas using lettuce leaves instead of tortillas
Basically any seasoned, shredded meat (such a nice change from a solid steak or chicken breast, imo)

Also, I ate shrimp with an amazing poblano cream sauce at a Mexican resteraunt once... I'm sure it could be adapted to lc!

I don't know if Chorizo is very lc or not, but it seems worth looking into.
heatherdazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Heather -
I was in a Food City once - but sadly, none near me. Tonight I am making shrimp tacos, without the taco part for me. A pile of lime/tequila marinated shrimp and some guacamole with pico de gallo - yumm!
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #187
Big Yapper!!!!

you do know you can make taco shells from melted cheese in the microwave?
put a slice of cheese on parchment paper or a glass plate and nuke it about 90 sec until the cheese is lacey and slightly browned and lots of oil has cooked out. then peel the cheese off the paper and allow it to cool over an invereted tea cup. it will be crispy like a taco shell but carb low as a piece of cheese.

you can sprinkle some taco spices on the cheese before cooking it for added flavor too.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #188

I've never been able to make cheese crisps or any of that melted cheese stuff. It's never worked for me--I don't know why!

Quote:
having lost a lot of old books and stuff in a flooded basement I can understand your DH wanting to keep them upstairs.

Yes, exactly. But I live in such a dry climate that we really don't experience flooding like that. However--I would still ask him if we could maybe put up some metal shelves or something to keep stored boxes off the floor. I think that's always a good idea.

Quote:
Also, I ate shrimp with an amazing poblano cream sauce at a Mexican resteraunt once... I'm sure it could be adapted to lc!
I'm definitely going to have to experiment with that. A little cilantro, maybe...a little white wine...

Last edited by peanutte; 02-27-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #189
Big Yapper!!!!

it may have to do with the water content of your cheese. sharp cheddar works for me but mozzalreela never does.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #190

Well, today I was still coasting on the excitement of having dropped another three pounds. My boyfriend and I were out running some errands and I wanted to go out for lunch. We had a hard time deciding upon a place because I'm not yet comfortable doing Chinese or Vietnamese or Indian, unless I have done my homework ahead of time and looked up acceptable-carb choices.

Finally it came out that he wanted Mexican but assumed I couldn't have it. I said that was fine! I can always have fajitas at a Mexican place, and many Mexican restaurants have some kind of steak and fish on the menu. So we went to a Mexican place, and I didn't so much as look at a tortilla chip, and I had a lettuce salad with a few black olives and rather anemic tomatoes that didn't look good to me so I ignored them. Blue cheese dressing. For my entree I got mondongo soup, which is a hearty beef soup that is traditionally made with tripe (GROSS) but this restaurant makes it with chunks of beef tenderloin, onions, chiles and mushrooms in a beef broth with wine. It was delicious and I didn't eat most of the onions.

I thought it was a nice solution. I really enjoyed that soup.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

that sounds yummy! That's great about the chips too. That is usually my biggest weakness at a Mexican place!

I had a great steak last night. We grilled 'em up and ate outside. It was just gorgeous here yesterday. Had a picnic in the park for lunch too. It was a spontoneous event. I decided to give Subway another chance and got tuna salad on a spinach salad with pickles and banana peppers with avocado and a drizzle of olive oil. It was good and I couldn't even finish it all.

I had a great workout yesterday too - P90X DVD. Today is my day to run another mile. Then, I am getting a massage!! WOOHOO!!

Hope you are all having a great weekend!!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #192
Big Yapper!!!!

great job on making your low carb Atkins your WOL and not being off plan eating out.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #193

It really is my WOE, and I take my commitment seriously. I don't believe in saying "I just couldn't pass up" any food. Of course I can pass it up. It's just a question of am I willing to pass it up. I really dislike language which removes responsibility from a person and makes it an issue of helplessness. That's not for me.

Quote:
I had a great steak last night. We grilled 'em up and ate outside. It was just gorgeous here yesterday.
I wish I had a grill! That sounds like a nice day.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I really dislike language which removes responsibility from a person and makes it an issue of helplessness.
That is a great statement.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #195

Chase, it's just something I feel strongly about. Instead of saying "Oh my goodness, I couldn't resist having some of the birthday cake!" a truer statement would be: "It wasn't important enough to me to choose to resist it" or "I didn't value sticking to my plan enough to resist it" or "I wanted it more than I wanted to stay on track" or even "I chose to eat some." Put yourself in the driver's seat and don't act as if life just "happens" to you. There are plenty of things in life that really are outside of our control--death, disease, the economy...what you put in your mouth is not one of them.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Well said.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #197

How are you doing this morning, Chase?

Getting back to my weekday routine...I give myself a vacation from ****** on the weekends. I don't eat off plan and I don't eat more carbs than I should--but I also don't count calories on the weekend. Well, I sort of do; I'm aware of roughly how many I am taking in, and it's usually around 2000. Then on Monday I get back to ****** and get back to 1300-1500.

Today I have planned: some wild-caught sockeye salmon, a big Caesar salad with tomatoes and chicken breast, some deviled eggs I made yesterday, and for dinner, a nice hearty portion of broccoli and some chicken with a mustard glaze. Not sure about snacks, if I need any.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #198
Big Yapper!!!!

lol if it wasn't for that hearty portion and nice big salad I'd think you were still in induction. See those veggies shouldn't scare anybody. have you got a plan to moove to the next rung? the calcium in the fresh dairy can come in handy if your diet is lacking since the body will produce a chemical in a parathyroid that will remove calcium from your bones should your blood clacium levels drop below your setpoint. there arer 2 bad things about this first it weakens your bones and second that chemical interfers with thyroid hormones and will slow metabolism not something a person working toi shed inches of body fat wants to happen.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #199

2big, actually that's a good point--OWL doesn't have to look much different from Induction, you're just eating more carbs! I had an ounce of cheese and 1 slice of braunschweiger for a snack and that was high-fat deliciousness!

I usually eat 3 ounces of cheese a day plus about 1-2 Tbsp of cream used in cooking, and 1 T of butter. I felt like going light on the dairy today, that's all. My Caesar salad used 1 Tbsp Paul Newman's Caesar dressing mixed with 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 anchovy, and 1 Tbsp grated parm. Very good. I guess I'm trying say that I make sure to get enough fats from different sources, but too much dairy makes me automatically want to shy away from the heavier forms for a day or so. I had more cheese than usual over the weekend.

As far as rungs, I passed the berries and nuts rungs and I do eat small amounts of nuts at times during the week. I'm just not feeling inclined to eat berries right now, but I know I am allowed to. This week I thought I might go ahead move on to legumes because it is hard to increase my carbs eating the kinds of vegetables I prefer to eat--leafy greens and cauliflower, broccoli, and some green beans. Any ideas as to how to use a paltry 1/4 of beans in a dish? I was thinking I could use 1/4 cup of pureed black beans in something...

So I guess I'm saying, I did start with adding a little more cheese, then moved along to having some berries and then later I had some nuts on a different week. Just because I have tried them doesn't mean I have to eat them each week, right?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #200

Oh, and I forgot to mention to big heap of 5 cups of spinach I plan to sautee for one of the meals. Spinach is such a tease--it cooks down to friggin' NOTHING. Honest to God, I think you could steam an entire bag of spinach to get about 1 cup cooked.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

peanutte - you are so right about the spinach. I bought that book about sneaking vegetable purees into things because my 4 year old will not even acknowledge the presence of vegetables. So I started using spinach and blueberries to make these great oatmeal bars for him. A whole bag of spinach goes into these things. The puree is usually less than a cup for the whole bag. crazy. It makes me feel good though that he gets that much spinach and doesn't even know it!

I'm doing well, although it's Monday. I didn't get as organized as I wanted to for the week so starting Monday morning like that stresses me out! I made "atkins meatballs" yesterday and they were good! I also made some broccoli cheese soup.

I am going to work some nuts in this week. I actually ate them the week of induction - I know... naughty girl... but I still lost 6 pounds that week. Haven't had any since. I love 'em.

For beans.. I use those all the time. Make up a quick "chili verde" with pork loin, green chilis, chicken broth, jalapeno, and some navy, pinto or black beans.

There's also a place near me that has a killer salad - they call it Vino Bambino - it's an italian place. It's basically a caesar salad with chicken, pinto beans, tomatoes and they put in some spiral pasta. But you could make it without that. It's soooo good. Garbanzo beans are great in a salad too.

I always add pinto beans to my taco meat (not recently but in the past). You could make a taco salad.

Sorry to go on and on about beans!!

I tried a Linda Sue recipe for a makeshift egg drop soup with spinach. it was good but next time i'm going to add chicken and mushrooms to it.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wendysmiling
Stats: 250/128 now 200/154/135 5'5"
Do you have a recipe for the oatmeal bars??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMama View Post
So I started using spinach and blueberries to make these great oatmeal bars for him. A whole bag of spinach goes into these things. The puree is usually less than a cup for the whole bag. crazy. It makes me feel good though that he gets that much spinach and doesn't even know it!
wendysmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #203
Big Yapper!!!!

just sprinkle the beans in things like salad or soup you could refry them for some more layers in your "7 layer" taco salad, greens, cheese, meat, slasa, avacado, sour cream, and now some refried beans.
I mix my beans with some chicken, salas, and spices and stuff a pablano peppr and bake then top with some cheese. lots of veggies fats and proteins in that
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #204

The stuffed pepper idea sounds good! Or I could do a "skillet" dinner of cubed chicken, black beans, green pepper, a little green onion, diced tomato and top it with cheese. With spices, of course!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Wendy - I'll try to remember to bring that recipe tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: rene50
Stats: snug sz 16/comfy sz 14/ comfy sz 12 5"8'
WOE: LC
Start Date: 02-13-09
Hi, I've been lurking for a few weeks, but this is my first time to post. Thanks so much for all the helpful information.

Like many of you, I am nervous about adding foods after induction, so I plan to keep with it for a few more weeks. I did Atkins about ten years ago successfully, and then gradually went back to my old habits and gained the weight back. I am a carb-addict and LC is the only diet that works for me. My cravings are gone and I feel great.

I can't bring myself to weigh. I just can't handle it right now, so I've devised my own method of measuring my progress. I started in a tight size 16. I am now in a comfortable 16, and a tight 14, so I know I am losing. I wear uniforms to work, so I'm gaging my progress on these standardized uniform pants. My goal is to be in a comfortable 12. I'm 5' 9", so I feel great in a 12. The next step is for my 16's to be too big, and then I'll move to a comfortable 14, and so on. I know it sounds crazy, but seeing that number on the scale just wipes me out. I admire those of you who have the courage to weigh regularly.

I'm also measuring my progress by checking my ketones. I am a little disappointed that today it shows only a small amount of ketones. Thanks again for all the great information!
rene50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Rene! I totally agree about the scale and the sizes. The other day I actually changed my profile information to remove the weight, and changed it to sizes.

I just remembered a dream I had last night! As a carb junkie and someone who used to like the occaisional fast food, I swore to keep McDonald's out of my son's life. I am proud to say that he is 4 and a few odd months and has never eaten at McDonald's. He's also never had soda of any kind. However... I had a dream last night that he was starving and we were on some trip in a strange town and I couldn't find anywhere to get food except McD's. He was screaming and crying from hunger so I gave in and I was crying the whole time I was getting food for him. Complete nightmare! Thank goodness it wasn't real. It's so funny because he's never eaten a cheeseburger anyway. Or a hotdog for that matter.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #208
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene50 View Post
Hi, I've been lurking for a few weeks, but this is my first time to post. Thanks so much for all the helpful information.

I'm also measuring my progress by checking my ketones. I am a little disappointed that today it shows only a small amount of ketones. Thanks again for all the great information!
welcome!
a little ketone stixs info should relieve those fears.
first stix only measure one type of ketone produced by the human body ( we make 3 and pee out 2). that measured form is the one our body can ract for fuel too sooooooooooooo not having excess amounts to pee out is a good thing.

the stix meausre in concnetration so you can drink more water and lighten the color or drink less water and darken the color.

you can artifically increase the color by eatting your fats as MCT and SCT ( medium chain triglyceride and Shrot chanin triglyceride ) which iwll be absorbed without bilesalts and directly converted to that ketone type by the liver. if you want to test it eat 5 jars of coconut oil or 5 pound of butter and see the darkest purple pee you ever saw. Of course that doesn't mean you will lose any weight as being in ketosis from overeating MCT and SCT can cause weight gain.

now don't worry about your color and use those pants to measure your progress
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: rene50
Stats: snug sz 16/comfy sz 14/ comfy sz 12 5"8'
WOE: LC
Start Date: 02-13-09
ChaseMama,
Good for you for not feeding your son that junk! My family does not eat any fast food--ever. The thing that floors me is all these kids who eat chicken nuggets and their moms' think that is healthy. All that hormone injected chicken stuff--yuk! You said he had never eaten a cheese burger--does your family not eat any beef at home?
rene50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

He's pretty much a self-proclaimed vegetarian - just minus the vegetable part. He won't eat any meat or veggies. Or anything with sauce. He won't even eat macaroni & cheese. Although on this site, that sounds like a good thing. He is a 4 yr old carb junkie and I'm slowly trying to fix that.

His diet consists of any type of breakfast food - the carby kind. He will eat bacon, but not usually eggs. He loves cheese, bread, pb & j, all fruit. That's it.

Last night I put some cut up chicken and green beans with butter on his plate and he just looked at it. He ate nothing all night. It's very frustrating for a Mom not to feed her kid.