Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
kerbear, check in! I hope everything is fine with you!

I am having such a hard time with trying to move forward in OWL. I haven't lost a thing in weeks and so I have this mental block against upping my carbs...even though I realize it's counter intuitive because for many people, raising their carb level actually helps them continue losing weight. Arrrgh! I will admit I have been eating 20 grams a day again for the past week. But I'm totally satisfied and don't really feel any desire to eat berries or starchier vegetables right now...I'm happy with my Romaine/radicchio salads, my spinach and arugula, broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage and green beans...I still don't ever have more than 4 ounces of cheese a day and I tend to count my other dairy as part of that 4 ounces (say, heavy cream or sour cream).Most days I only have up to 3 ounces of dairy. My protein levels are in the 80-100 g range--and my proportions are 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein, 5-7% carbs.

I have trouble getting "enough" calories in, usually. Supposedly my BMR is around 1560. Well, I rarely manage to eat 1560 or more calories a day. It's enough food for me and I'm not hungry after about 1200-1350 calories. This is really frustrating me because I don't want to eat more than feels "right" to me. If I'm not physically hungry, and I've eaten three decent meals and maybe a snack, why should I eat more? It's kinda driving me crazy because I know that it's supposedly bad to eat less than your BMR, but I don't think 12-1350 well-balanced calories is a starvation diet by any means.

I guess I'm just venting because I feel like I'm "doing it wrong" but the way I'm eating feels good to me and I have no desire to make myself eat more.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Hey peanutte! I am with you there on the calories. I am usually eat around the same 1200-1350 Calories. Have you looked into that JUDD eating plan or the Fat Fast? I haven't tried either, but I'm just wondering if doing something whacky for a week might change things up for you? (and me, hehe)
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #153

Chase, I really feel strongly that I want to trust Atkins and be patient rather than jumping over to something different...I've only been doing this for a little less than two months, and if the scale is not moving, I'd rather be patient and stay on plan than flail around in a panic (not saying that's what you're suggesting--just that, that's what I'd be doing!).

On second thought, it's not so much that I have a "fear" of adding carbs as it is I'm not that hungry and it feels like a bother to eat more than I'm eating.

If I really do feel actual hunger in the evenings after dinner, I'll eat something--usually an ounce of cheese (still not going above 4 ounces or even 3 ounces a day).

I have read over and over that people with thyroid problems have a heck of time losing, but unless your thyroid isn't being treated, I don't see why it would make a difference.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

I agree with you - just thought I'd ask. This is the first time I have ever been so convinced that this will actually work. Like you I am trusting it - even though I'm frustrated!

It'll happen. And until it does I'll continue to enjoy my bacon and steak!! )
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #155

I really like having ****** because I can go back and look at an entire week and see what I was eating or not eating.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #156
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Peanutte how are the inches going? what you doing for your mandatory exercise part of your Atkins? have you upped the intensity as you progressed?

about that BMR did you use the lean body mass calculator or one of those free online things that you plug in height weight sex and age? they use the Harris bennedict formula and it is the same for a marshmellowy 200 pounder and a rockhard 200 pounder. the Kartch McArdle lean body mass BMR calculator uses your build to better figure the cals you need.

ALso eating below your BMR for a couple f days will not harm you. your body will tell you when it is hungry and needs more just pay attention to the physical symptoms of hunger like getting aggitated, tired ,cranky, or irritated. Feeling weak or light headed, mentally confused any or all of them and you need food even if you are not feeling tummy hungeror don't have an appetite.

you can help your body by picking nutrient dense foods when you are not hungry and have to use the 6 hr rule to eat a small protein/fat snack with a few of your carbs..
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #157

Yes, I don't go more than say, three or four hours without ingesting something during my waking hours. Well--I guess that's not true because I eat dinner around 6 or 6:30 (just protein) and usually have nothing else but water before bedtime, which is generally around 10:30 or 11.

All I do is walking, and really not enough of that. What do you do?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #158
Big Yapper!!!!

well I walked to begin with and as I got in better shape I walked faster and longer. when I got to 60 min I switched to HIIT walking which is 1 min at your max heart rate speed and then 1 min at your fatburning heart rate 60% of max heart rate walking speed and added incline to get that high heart rate. i also added the BFL lifting program since Dr Atkins said we should be doing resistance exercise too.

er on atkins you should NEVER be having a protein only meal since protein will be used as glucose in the energy system and that will interfer with fatty acid liberation from body fat because of the insulin being generated to help use the protein. add some fat to your protein and eat a little be less of the protein unless you are just at your minimum protein intake for the day.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #159

I usually have fat with my protein, in the form of some olive oil used for cooking or something like that.

You mention resistance training--I do have two ten pound dumbbells I was thinking I should start using for reps of lunges, curls, etc etc. It would take very little effort to knock off several sets of exercises throughout the day. I know ten pounds isn't a lot (twenty total) but it's a start, right?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #160

OKay, 2big, since I try to follow your advice ( I really do!) I rounded out my dinner by making it 4 ounces of chicken breast grilled on the Foreman grill after being rubbed lightly with 1/4 Tbsp olive oil. This was accompanied by my super-easy Savory Mustard-Tarragon Cream Sauce (2 tsp heavy cream, 1/3 cup chicken broth, 1.5 tsp coarse mustard and a pinch of tarragon) and 2.5 ounces fresh green beans with 1 pat of butter (about 1/3 Tbsp butter).

Total calories for the day inched up to 1455. Percentages: 65/28/8; net carbs 22.6.

NO COFFEE TOMORROW! I am cutting out caffeine!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

I ran a mile tonight!!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #162

Woooooo Chase!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Yah I was so excited. But my butt hurts today.

The scale did move back down again today. (Yes, I did say I wasn't going to weigh this week! Ugh. I'm a scale addict) I fear I am going to be one of those stories of someone that says they saw the same 2 or 3 pounds up and down again and again.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #164

It'll hurt more tomorrow! Hee hee. Not to bring you down at all, it's really great that you ran a mile. But I remember when I first started running, the real stiffness came two days after. Do some gentle stretching throughout the day if you can. Soaking in a hot tub might feel good.

So I feel like I have a newly refreshed focus toward doing my OWL.

For one thing, I am giving up caffeine for now. I may have some once in a great while, but it's a 4-mug a day habit and it's probably interfering with my weight loss on Atkins. So, decaf it is.

For another thing, I am going to try to eat a good breakfast earlier in the day--within an hour after I get up. I tended to drink coffee and not eat until late morning. I can see where that's a really bad idea. This morning I had two soft boiled eggs at about 8:00, and then an hour later I was still feeling a little hungry so I cooked three pieces of bacon and after eating that, I felt just right.

I'm going to try to make sure I'm including protein, fat and the right amount of (mainly vegetable) carbs in each meal. My snack, if I have one, can be mostly fat.

I'm going to try to walk more than I have been. It's getting quite warm out so that makes it seem more inviting.

I'm going to rearrange my guest room so that my elliptical trainer is facing our extra TV instead of facing the wall. That will make me feel more like using it.

Last edited by peanutte; 02-25-2009 at 09:30 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

peanutte - where do you live? I think you are really smart to eat a good breakfast! I have to eat before I have any coffee and then I can only have about a half cup. I have a little heart issue and I can feel it if I have too much caffeine.

I did the same thing - rearranged my treadmill to face the TV. But then I got a dog and she DEMANDS her 2 walks a day. I have increased her walks to two 20-30 min walks so I'm getting in 40 min to an hour. I took her with me for my run last night and towards the end she's looking at me as if to say "ok... can we just walk now?" She's a chihuahua/dashund mix so even though she has boundless energy, she has little itty bitty legs!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #166

Chase, I live in Colorado--near kerbear, in fact! (We haven't met in person. Perhaps we will one day!)

I was getting a little sloppy about my Atkins. I wasn't "doing anything wrong" per se (except for the copious amounts of coffee) but I had lost my enthusiasm due to having an ongoing pity party for the scale not moving. Heh heh. But I've tried to get my head back in a better place and I've decided to mix it up a little and try to include some proteins and vegetables that are different from my usual rotation. I guess when I say I was getting sloppy, what I mean is I was going through the motions and not enjoying my food much. Well, that's no good, so it's up to me to come up with some more interesting meals, if I'm getting bored. Does that make sense? I always have to remind myself that doing Atkins is treating myself well and I deserve it.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I totally understand. I am guilty of getting into a "routine" and eating the same things over again. I have been scouring that Linda Sue recipe site for different ideas. This weekend I am going to make some soups to have on hand. I'll try a hamburger soup and a cheesy broccoli and chicken soup too. I like soup and salad for lunch.

Although, I think I could happily eat chicken wings regularly for a long time and not get sick of those. I need to come up with some good Mexican food ideas.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wendysmiling
Stats: 250/128 now 200/154/135 5'5"
What's BMR and how does one figure it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I have trouble getting "enough" calories in, usually. Supposedly my BMR is around 1560. Well, I rarely manage to eat 1560 or more calories a day. It's enough food for me and I'm not hungry after about 1200-1350 calories. This is really frustrating me because I don't want to eat more than feels "right" to me. If I'm not physically hungry, and I've eaten three decent meals and maybe a snack, why should I eat more? It's kinda driving me crazy because I know that it's supposedly bad to eat less than your BMR, but I don't think 12-1350 well-balanced calories is a starvation diet by any means.

I guess I'm just venting because I feel like I'm "doing it wrong" but the way I'm eating feels good to me and I have no desire to make myself eat more.
wendysmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

See this link
Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #170

2big has a point, though, that unless you take lean body mass vs body fat into consideration, you're really ballparking your BMR.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

yes true. there are some other calculations where you take some simple measurements too to help calculate it a little closer.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #172
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats on the run. now that we know you can we will expect to see your run reports oh and about those pounds you might be seeing arrive today after your new to those muscles loading you did on that run they are storing fluids until they heal and realize that new to them load is the normal load and not something dangerous they need to rescue you from.

Peanutte be warned you will suffer caffeine withdrawal and shouls by day 3 have a nasty headache. you can use any OTC headache med you normally take but be sure it is caffeine free. When I gave up my 24 can aday Diet Coke habit to start Atkins I almost quit cause of the nasty headache but by day 4 it was gone and I was back energized without the caffeine.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #173

Yes, I appreciate the warning--I have gone without caffeine before so I know what that's all about, 2big. Sometimes I get the withdrawal and sometimes I don't. Those caffeine headaches are like having your temples squeezed in a vice, though. Nasty times.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

I am pretty well-versed in the muscle building area, I used to work out a lot. I usually hit DOMS around 36 hours. I'm drinking lots of water. I walked and stretched this morning.

I put a picture in of what I used to look like, before Chase, and one of the 5k that I ran right around the same time. My body doesn't look anything like that now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg race for the cure.JPG (26.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1st round.JPG (27.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
am pretty well-versed in the muscle building area
....sorry, I hope that didn't sound "snarky." I just re-read that and I really wasn't trying to be obnoxious. I just meant that I'm definitely anticipating more than a sore butt. heehee
Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #176

Hey, gang! You are not going to believe this. I quit caffeine on Wednesday, and in only two days off the evil stuff, I could already feel a difference in terms of more stable blood sugar and my stomach feeling flatter. After being 175.2 for what now, three weeks?--I weighed in this morning and I'm down three pounds. I'm only 2.2 pounds away from another "tens"! I can't believe it! I know lots of people have "whooshes" after a few weeks of no loss, but I am not a person who tends to experience them (I'm more of a slow and steady, half-pound to pound-a-week loser) so I am frankly thrilled!

I got on the scale thinking I might see 174.5...possibly 174...my eyes nearly fell out of my head when I saw 172.2!

This has been a really good week for my menus and foods. I felt like my eating this week was more..I dunno...deliberately chosen. The only thing I changed was that upon 2big's recommendation I started having vegetables and fat with my dinner where previously I was only having protein. Oh, and eating my breakfast earlier.

Thanks for all your valuable advice, 2big. I appreciate your presence on this thread even though you are a Goalie and don't need to be doing OWL any more! On that note, let me ask you: now that you're maintaining, what does your food look like? Roughly how many carbs a day do you tend to have, and how does it work for you? It would be helpful for us OWLies to know what Maintenance can look like.

Last edited by peanutte; 02-27-2009 at 07:33 AM..
Old 02-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Yeah peanutte!!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #178

Thanks, Chase! Oh hey--I forgot to update my stats. Better go do that!

Are you still sore from running?

I wish kerbear would check in.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Just mildly sore. I ran 1.25 miles last night.

I agree, I would PM her but I can't figure out how to do that...

You and I are at the same weight - but I am up and down 171-173 all week. driving me a little crazy. 171 yesterday, 173 today. How is that possible? I didn't eat 7000 calories yesterday! grrr
Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #180
Big Yapper!!!!

wooo hoo Peanutteweigh to go!!!
oh one thing you may encounter is coffee contains a bowl stimulent so you may find you are getting constipated in a week or two if you cut cofee out all together. Your bowels will eventually adjust.

Maintnenance will look just like premaintnenace and late OWL does IF you maintain your active life style ( DR Atkins term for exercise). When I wasn't caregiver for my Mother I continued working out in the gym doing 60 min HIIT treadmilling and BFL power lifting and could do 115 net carbs of veggies, legumes, cheese, nuts/seeds, berries ( melons were a eat sweets trigger for me then and still) and some root veggies and occasional grains. I made Nullo Moundo's Oslo Flax rolls as my bread and enjoyed having buns on my sandwiches again. I got some high maize corn bran and made corn tortillas from it too for a crunchie chip with my mexican foods as you can only eat so much cheese chips without ballooning your weight.
I'm a 3 meals and a snack person. When I became her caregiver my hours at the gym were gone and I can only walk about 4 miles a day at her 2 MPH speed now so my carbs cut back to 45 net to maintain.