Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #1591
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
HI JKAT AND WELCOME TO OWL!
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #1592
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Thank you! I have moved up the ladder before with great success. I am up to 25-30gms of carbs with those being from veggies. I know from the past that the nut rung is a hard one for me. I will eat them but more as an emergency snack and not daily. I just can not control them. Especially Peanut butter!!! Big red flagger!!! Big trigger for me.

I am reading your old threads and getting a ton of info.

I had surgery back in october and went back to induction. I had a bit longer of a re-coup time than expected and some melt down in my food choices due to the blues.

I have eaten clean now since the begining of the month and looking to get rid of the little bit I gained.

Thank you for the welcome Peanutte!!
Thanks 2big for inviting me to join in!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #1593

I'm glad you joined. I went back an re-read the last five pages or so to refresh myself on what you'd be catching up on, and it actually served as a very helpful reminder to me of WHY clean and simple eating is so very important to me. I saw that I'd posted on two different weekends about feeling gross because of eating past satisfaction, and about having eaten purely recreational "extras" like salty olives, too much cheese, and hard sausage...too many wings...basically things that were eaten for "fun", if you want to call it that. Seeing my own words was a good reminder that the cleaner I eat, and when I eat only when I'm hungry, the better I feel.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #1594
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Well yesterday I bought some organic greek yogurt. I have been wanting yogurt so bad. It has 9g of carbs for a full cup, so if I only ate half a cup that would be 4.5g carbs. I have so far only used a fork and grabbed a bit on the end, but it's sooooo good. I hope I can still lose and eat it. It would be heaven with some berries.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #1595
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Well yesterday I bought some organic greek yogurt. I have been wanting yogurt so bad. It has 9g of carbs for a full cup, so if I only ate half a cup that would be 4.5g carbs. I have so far only used a fork and grabbed a bit on the end, but it's sooooo good. I hope I can still lose and eat it. It would be heaven with some berries.
is your greek full fat? if you got fat free then you got to add a fat to it like
1-2 tablespoons of cream
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #1596
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Well, I didn't specifically look for fat free, but it has no fat in it. It's the only kind they had. I will remember to add some cream to it. (This is because your supposed to balance it out with a fat right...?)lol.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #1597

Ms. Woods, at first I didn't care for it but then the second time I tried the Greek yogurt, I really grew to like it. It totally hits the spot sometimes.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #1598
Big Yapper!!!!

yep fats with carbs. that is one of Dr Atkins reminder points at the end of chapter 14 OWL.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #1599
Major LCF Poster!

I am doing well. My fats have dropped and I am trying to make sure I stay 60% to keep me full. I noticed that my calories are down since I added in more veggies. I am between 25-30carbs right now.

Where does everyone sit with fat %. Where are you on the rung?? HOw many carbs are you up too?? Just curious
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #1600

Jodi, I keep my fat at 60% or a little higher. My carbs tend to be at an average of 20 more days than not; sometimes a few grams lower, sometimes a little higher, and on two days a week I go as high as 40 or so. I eat from pretty much all the rungs, but the higher ones I only eat from in extremely small quantities and only once in a while. The vegetable, dairy and fruit rungs are part of my regular foods, but some weeks I don't have any extra dairy or fruit at all, and I rarely eat nuts because I just don't care about them so I'd be going out of my way to have them--I forget how long it's been since I've had nuts around the house. Mostly my carbs come from vegetables and maybe that's part of why I personally feel my best keeping my carb level lower than many people--since I'm not using my carb grams on lots of cheese and creamy salad dressing and little extras like pickles or olives or whatever, I have lots of them to use for my veggies!

The days when I eat closer to 40 are the days on which I would have some fruit, beans, etc. I feel that having a couple of higher calorie, higher carb days has kept a nice balance for me. And sometimes during the week I might have yogurt or berries and swap those grams out for some of my veggies, but not that often.

As I continue maintaining, I expect I will continue to experiment with this.

Oh, I also want to say that I make a point of trying to spread my veggie carbs out and not eat the bulk of them at one meal. For example yesterday I had green pepper, red pepper and onion with my scrambled eggs in the morning, and 7 ounces of broccoli with dinner.

Last edited by peanutte; 02-05-2010 at 06:25 AM..
Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #1601
Big Yapper!!!!

when I did OWL I dropped my fats slowly to upper 50s-60% as I climbed. I was also working out 2 hours a day in the gym lifting 3 days a week and HIITing ofr 60 min 3 days a week. That allowed me to up my carbs to 115 net.

When I had knee surgery and couldn't workout my carbs dropped to 45 net and fats were 60%.

Your carb number will be individual to you and your activity levels. And finding it is what OWL is all about. OWL is the great food experiment you are looking for your CCLL AND what foods you can add back and what foods will trigger cravings or weight issues for you.

that is why I tell all OWLies to take good notes and retest things to besure it was the food and not something else in their life that caused the issues.

So what did you add new today?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #1602
Major LCF Poster!

I am really loving all the veggies. I made a big batch of cabbage. I just put some olive oil in a pan and cooked them up. It was awesome.

I went to a local farm and bought all fresh produce. I will take some time tomarrow and cook it all up for the week.

My weight is stable (down slightly) with the add in of extra carbs. I am more satisfied with my eating now. I just love veggies.

Last edited by JKat; 02-06-2010 at 02:33 AM..
Old 02-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #1603
Major LCF Poster!

Hi...I am doing really well. I have been a bit hungry the last two days but believe its more related to my cycle than the carbs. I have been really keeping track of my weight/carbs/calories/cycle together.

My weight is down slightly from 132 to 130.5 but again with my cycle it seems that I flucuate up and down a couple pounds.

2big I have really taken your advice the last two days and think it helped. I have been hungry so I ate. I did not think to myself oh no I can not go over 1500 calories. I think in the past I have been to stict and then wind up binging from being hungry.

I am so close to goal and think that I would love to be 125 again that maybe thats just not where my body wants to be at 40yrs old. I am enjoying all my veggies and will continue to experiment with it.

Thanks for all the advice
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #1604
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=peanutte;13

Oh, I also want to say that I make a point of trying to spread my veggie carbs out and not eat the bulk of them at one meal. For example yesterday I had green pepper, red pepper and onion with my scrambled eggs in the morning, and 7 ounces of broccoli with dinner.[/QUOTE]

Peanutte....I have been doing this. I did read Dr Eades Protein power and it really a good book. He/she recommends this. I am having a veggie with each meal. I am also making myself aware of how much protein I eat. About 4-5ozs with each meal. I do not limit the protein just trying to aware. I am one who can easily over eat so I weigh it out eat then try to decide if I am full. I trouble with the full thing. Always did!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #1605

Quote:
I think in the past I have been to stict and then wind up binging from being hungry.

Yes, that's a trap you want to avoid. It's one thing to restrict your portions and be aware of your calories; it's another thing to be punitive about it to an unhealthy degree.

Quote:
I am so close to goal and think that I would love to be 125 again that maybe thats just not where my body wants to be at 40yrs old. I am enjoying all my veggies and will continue to experiment with it.
A particular number on the scale, from our past, shouldn't dictate our goal. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having a goal--I certainly did; many or most of us do--but when you get close to your goal, you might want to take some measurements, get your body fat percentage assessed, or just take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself if there's any particular reason you need to go lower.

125 lbs when you're in your twenties doesn't look the same as 125 in your 40s. Our bodies change as we age, and we carry weight differently. It honestly makes me cringe when I see women say they are determined to get down to the weight they were in high school. You're an adult woman now! You're not an adolescent! What's the deal with that?

When I got to my first goal of 150 I knew I wasn't done yet. When I got to my second goal of 140 I was happy about that but I knew I wasn't quite there. 130-135 is where I plan to hang out for a good long while or even permanently. It's funny because at 132 I am fitting into some old Gap corduroys that I last wore when I was 31 years old and 125. They are not stretch. The interesting thing is they are not as loose at the waist as they used to be, but the butt and thighs are significantly looser than they were when I was younger and thinner. So just remember that getting back to a particular scale number doesn't mean you'll be getting back to the body you used to have--things really do change.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #1606
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Peanutte.....I think I need to put some thought into this. Really if I am in a size 6-8 and feel good eating healthy then what is the differance??? I think I need to work a bit on my mind set. Its a work in progress.

I have to say I feel just so much better adding in carbs. I do not feel deprived and you think I should of known this since I done it before!!!! Restrictions have been my whole life and I fell back on it after surgery like a crutch.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #1607

Jodi, it took a little effort for me to get the ideal of 120-125 out of my head, so I really do know where you're coming from. I had never been truly fat before in my entire life, and I wasn't sure what my goal weight should be once I got serious about losing it. It's like I totally lost all reasonable perspective because like most women, I didn't really see how big I had gotten. I knew it, sort of, but I didn't really accept the truth about it.

I knew that 140 was at the upper end of what feels like a good weight range for me--120 to 140. 140 also happens to be the upper end of what's considered technically overweight for me. So I figured, okay, I'll just get down to not being overweight any more and see where I want to go from there. Now that I've lost what I wanted to lose, my focus is squarely on fitness. So I might maintain at 130-135 but I am getting fitter and more toned and that feels good.

Just remember to not compare yourself to anyone else, and don't compare yourself to younger versions of yourself either.

Glad you're enjoying your additional vegetables!

Last edited by peanutte; 02-07-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Old 02-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #1608
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
Hi...I am doing really well. I have been a bit hungry the last two days but believe its more related to my cycle than the carbs. I have been really keeping track of my weight/carbs/calories/cycle together.

My weight is down slightly from 132 to 130.5 but again with my cycle it seems that I flucuate up and down a couple pounds.

2big I have really taken your advice the last two days and think it helped. I have been hungry so I ate. I did not think to myself oh no I can not go over 1500 calories. I think in the past I have been to stict and then wind up binging from being hungry.

Thanks for all the advice
Quote:
Thanks Peanutte.....I think I need to put some thought into this. Really if I am in a size 6-8 and feel good eating healthy then what is the differance??? I think I need to work a bit on my mind set. Its a work in progress.

I have to say I feel just so much better adding in carbs. I do not feel deprived and you think I should of known this since I done it before!!!! Restrictions have been my whole life and I fell back on it after surgery like a crutch.
woo hoo glad you are learning what your hunger feels like and feeding it with out guilt. I never cal counted before Atkins so it was a forgein concept to me but looking at my food journal I had days where I was not hungry and struggled to eat and was under 1000 cals. Then I had hungry days and ate over 3000 cals. If I was a cal counter I'd have gone nuts over eating on the not hungry days and under eatten on the hungry days.

What we are working on is being able when we get to goal weight is to be alble to listen to our body and know when it needs food and when it doesn't.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #1609

I agree with 2big about that; for the most part, counting calories is just a way of being aware of what you're eating.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #1610
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys!!!

I had a baptism yesterday and felt great in my suit. It fit me really well and my DH commented how good I looked!

My weight dropped again today but I did not change it because with my cycle it flucuates. I know one thing the added carbs have not made me gain! I also had an oz of nuts yesterday because I was really hungry and did not want to go off plan.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #1611
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks guys!!!

I had a baptism yesterday and felt great in my suit. It fit me really well and my DH commented how good I looked!

My weight dropped again today but I did not change it because with my cycle it flucuates. I know one thing the added carbs have not made me gain! I also had an oz of nuts yesterday because I was really hungry and did not want to go off plan.
actually Dr Atkins highly recommends nuts for the amount of nutriants they contain as we have all seen in our DANDR. One note about nuts is that according to Dr Atkins one ounce is 5 net carbs so even though your carb counter will tell you differently if you want Dr Atkins results you need to use his measuring standards
Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #1612
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
actually Dr Atkins highly recommends nuts for the amount of nutriants they contain as we have all seen in our DANDR. One note about nuts is that according to Dr Atkins one ounce is 5 net carbs so even though your carb counter will tell you differently if you want Dr Atkins results you need to use his measuring standards

I am very careful with this food group. I do not make it a part of my everyday menu. It is only when I gone to long or out and about and hungry. I would way over eat them. I will make sure I count them as 5net carbs. thanks 2big
Old 02-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #1613
Major LCF Poster!

Hi guys I am still doing really well. I am tolerating all the veggies without a problem and ate nuts once or twice so far because I was out and about with no ill effect. Because I was on extended induction I was eating nuts occasionally already.

I am around 30net carbs a day. I am starting to think of what I want to add next. I would really like to add greek yogart. I think this fits under the more cheese rung?

I have to say I am so much more relaxed about my eating. I am siked that I listened to you guys. I went up the ladder before but needed a push to do it again.

Last edited by JKat; 02-10-2010 at 06:32 AM..
Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #1614

Jodi, that's great! How many weeks have you been doing this, again? I'm just trying to figure out how you're already at 30 net--if you've been adding 5 grams each week for two weeks then that makes sense. Is that correct?

Yogurt does indeed fit in with the fresh cheese/fresh dairy rung. The single-serving cups of Fage have about 7 grams per container, if I remember correctly. I haven't tried the Kroger brand of low-carb yogurt yet but I do love Stonyfield Farms organic full-fat cream-top yogurt; sadly it does not come in single servings so I don't buy it anymore because it would take me weeks to go through a big container of it.

If I were you, I would buy a few single-serving cups of different kinds--Fage, Oikos, whatever--and see which type you like before stocking up on any one brand.

I like to use about five or six frozen raspberries to flavor mine. I defrost them in a little glass cup in the microwave, and because they were frozen, they give off a lot of juice. Then I mix my yogurt in that same cup with the mushed-up berries and for me it's a nice light flavor.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #1615
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Peanutte.....Yeah I am almost on two weeks now. I did start adding in carbs before I starting posting.

I love trader joes brand and Fage. I love adding in canned pumkin and spices like a pumkin pudding. I will have to wait on berries till the following week. I want to make sure I go in order.

I just wanted to make sure that greek yogurt was in the cheese rung. I really do not eat alot of cheese except for 1oz of blue in salad or parm cheese. Cream cheese stalls me big time!!! I will put a slice on my hamburger but tend to try and limit my cheese intake. So really the only addition will be the yogurt for this rung.

Last edited by JKat; 02-10-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #1616
Big Yapper!!!!

glad you are enjoying the great food experiment.
becareful if you get greek yogurt cause they now have fat free versions YIKES!
if all you can find it the fat free then just add 1-2T of cream ti a serving and you should be good to go with fats in your carbs.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #1617
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
glad you are enjoying the great food experiment.
becareful if you get greek yogurt cause they now have fat free versions YIKES!
if all you can find it the fat free then just add 1-2T of cream ti a serving and you should be good to go with fats in your carbs.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #1618

Quote:
I will have to wait on berries till the following week. I want to make sure I go in order.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #1619
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
I've gone back to yogurt twice a week for breakfast (with PP, cream & raspberries). I've found if I mix it up and freeze in portions it works great and doesn't spoil before I can finish the tub (can't buy the lowest carb version available here in single serve, the only one that is has 2-3g more carbs per 100g). I have actually gotten DD to eat my mixture and she loves it now. Made her banana, honey & cinnamon last week (no PP, only a tiny bit of honey) which she also enjoyed.

Just an update on me, I've stopped climbing the ladder. Started gaining & craving on the nuts rung ! I know I can have legumes (in chilli con carne - the only savory dish I've ever cooked with legumes) although the blackbean cake is to be left for special occassions only especially when there is less opportunity for left overs and/or seconds!

I bought some turnips without realising they were starchy veg rung but they don't trigger cravings . Will still keep them to occassionally though. So I will miss out on stone fruit this season, but that should mean next season I'll be much more ready (not that I think fruit will ever be a huge part of my WOE, apart from berries).

My weight is up from my lowest so am working on getting closer to 150 again and onwards to my goal where I am with OWL. That is rung 3 (berries) with occassional legumes.

I have also bought some coconut oil for the 1st time so we'll see if that makes any difference as I've been having some each day this week (although I'm having it in Larry's choc coconut fridge desert thingy - kinda like fudge, but the oil wouldn't mix through 100% so there are crunchy bits ). DD loves this too so she now is having small amounts of CO in her 'diet'.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
ozdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:33 AM   #1620
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ozdancer...I too am trying to figure out whats works and what does not.

Nuts are not an everyday thing for me. I also gain if I make them part of my daily eating... I have a portion control problem with them. I do eat them in a pinch but usually buy the single servings bags.

Which turnips did you buy?? Rutabaga's round reddish brown ones are part of the early rung and very good mashed.