Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #1531
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Hi, Ms. Woods! Nice to see your cute smiling face in OWLville.

Some tips about berries:

Have them with fat; if you are going to have, say, six blackberries, have them with a small amount of cheese or a tablespoon of heavy cream. That will help keep your blood sugar stable. Berries with an ounce of Brie was, and still occasionally is, one of my favorite combinations.

Are there any vegetables you have been missing? 'Cause since you were eating at 10-15, you could easily have five additional grams' worth of some new vegetable and still be under your 20 carb mark. I know I enjoyed adding sugar snap peas, and I really enjoyed having bigger dinner portions of my cooked vegetables.

Don't be afraid. You can take the babiest of baby steps and it's okay. 2big is very good at explaining all this stuff.

All the things you tried over Thanksgiving didn't appear to cause problems, so that's good news. Now you can explore these foods in a more ordered manner by trying just one thing at a time.

I am really glad to see you here. I am in awe of your 112 pound loss. IN. AWE.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #1532

DOVE! Yay, so good to see you, too!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #1533
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
hey Dovelette good to see you. hope you are eating some yummy vegies and cheese soon.

Hey peanutte glad you had a safe holiday season.

so are you upping your carbs any since you are smaller then your planned goal weight yet?
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #1534

Nope. I'm not changing anything for now. I maintained all last month with no loss, 2big. For now I am in a "watch and see" kind of mode. I'm in a holding pattern, so to speak.

If I wanted to eat more of the OWL foods, though, I would. What I'm saying is I do eat them when I want to. But maybe because it's cold out (and it is!) I am not hankering for big salads, yogurt, fruit, and stuff like that. I find myself wanting to make soup quite often.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #1535
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
if you eat 10-15 then you start your OWL right there with 5 more so try having 5 more net grams of those yummy veggies for a week and see what happens. You will be getting lots of good for you micronutriants like potasium, calcium, vits, and other minerals too that your body needs to keep the fatty acid metabolism humming along. You know in your heart that adding those few cals for a week isn't going to add any body fat to your frame so try it. then once you see how well it goes with the veggies you can try adding back some other rungs. You might be surprized how well your shrinking continues.

with the yogurt are you afraid you will pigout and eat it by the gallon or just afraid 5 net grams will give you back pounds of body fat?
I don't know, I think I'm afraid it will cause cravings I guess Or I guess that it will cause me to gain 100lbs. See when you say it like that, it makes me look crazy Lol. I guess in my head this is what I was thinking. I guess I need to think like, ok try it, and if you lose great, if you gain, don't eat it again and go back to normal. It makes more sense when you say it like that.

Dovelette-I agree that the past few months have been better, with more variety, I have been losing slower, but still, 10lbs a month would be another hundred pounds by this time next year!

Peanutte-when I had the berries I had hwc and mayo (don't look at me like that it was a fruit salad type deal Lol) with them, and it had a few pecans. I actually haven't been eating a lot of veggies lately, but every now and then I want a carrot (used in cooking purposes) or a sugar snap pea, or even a real onion (I have only been using green onions). I haven't been getting much variety in the veggie department.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #1536
Big Yapper!!!!

I love making soup. I got a pot of gumbo going right now, already made a pot of veggie soup, and will be making some pepper pot soup later today. Can you tell today is the domestic day with the washer going nonstop cleaning the clothes from the trip and in the kitchen cleaning up the veggies that wouldn't survive 2 weeks in the fridge while we were gone so they got froze for soup. I got to go grocery shopping as I found out the hard way at lunch today that we are out of cheese, eggs and other protein sources Mother enjoys. so it was nutbutter apples with a bowl of veggie soup.

Mom is investigating all her new DVDs she got fro christmas cause it is freezing outside and the swimming exercise class isn't until 6 tonight so I can catch up on my LCFs reading while the soup simmers and the dryer runs.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #1537

I do like to use some carrot in cooking.

Ms.Woods, I don't think it's at all crazy to be aware of--and cautious about--the possibility that your cravings will be triggered. That's why it's set up to be done so carefully with only one food at a time.

Red onion instead of green onion on my salad! Sauteed white onion in a chicken and spinach curry! I do like onions.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #1538
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I don't know, I think I'm afraid it will cause cravings I guess Or I guess that it will cause me to gain 100lbs. See when you say it like that, it makes me look crazy Lol. I guess in my head this is what I was thinking. I guess I need to think like, ok try it, and if you lose great, if you gain, don't eat it again and go back to normal. It makes more sense when you say it like that.

Dovelette-I agree that the past few months have been better, with more variety, I have been losing slower, but still, 10lbs a month would be another hundred pounds by this time next year!

Peanutte-when I had the berries I had hwc and mayo (don't look at me like that it was a fruit salad type deal Lol) with them, and it had a few pecans. I actually haven't been eating a lot of veggies lately, but every now and then I want a carrot (used in cooking purposes) or a sugar snap pea, or even a real onion (I have only been using green onions). I haven't been getting much variety in the veggie department.
sounds yummy. one of the local healthy organic places has a raspberry chicken salad done with cream, mayo, chicken, celery, raspberries, and pecans served on a bed of mixed greens.

here is a little added incentive to eat your induction green veggies. they contain many chemicals our body needs to keep the fat burning going and our moods happy and our exercise ability going. It is cheaper to eat the vits and minerals in the foods then to keep buying supplements to make up for the deficiet faulty induction eating causes. If we don't get those chemicals from the foods and/or supplements then our bodies start slowing down and weight lose follows suit.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #1539
Big Yapper!!!!

I will make sure I get my veggies in tonight then! I didn't know that.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #1540
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I will make sure I get my veggies in tonight then! I didn't know that.
if you use ****** you can look in the reports section and see how depleted your vits and minerals are. You can enter your supplements as custom foods and eat them each day to show up in those reports too.
I actually based on my blood tests needed potassium supplements while doing my extended induction. once I got to OWL and added more veggies I didn't need the supplements any more. Nerve and muscle function needs many different minerals that nobody ever thinks about until they are deficient and the doc tells them they need something added to their diet to fix it. thinks like copper, zinc, potassium, calcium, sodium, phosphorous and many others.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #1541

Quote:
You can enter your supplements as custom foods and eat them each day to show up in those reports too.
I never thought of doing that!

But is it true that we actually only get about 10% of those vitamins because they don't get fully absorbed and used?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #1542
Big Yapper!!!!

depends on the food you eat with your supplemnts if you eat no fat then all the fat soluble stff goes in the toilet. if you eat a full days supply in a single dose then you are not going to absorb it all as those who start with superBs can tell you from their neon yellow pee the next day. But you should absorb enough to make up for any eating defiencies you have as long as you are eating those yummy induction veggies and rung one veggies ( hint hint)
Old 01-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #1543
Big Yapper!!!!

SO what is everybody having that is OWL legal for their rung and a New Yrs traditional food.

in the South we eat greens cause they represent money for the coming yr, pork cause it symbolizes your prosperity for the last yr if you got enough pork to still have it by new yrs day and black eyed peas for luck.
Naturally we are having a rosemary garlic mustard crusted pork loin ( would be hot and spicey but I got to share and last time I did one end hot and one end traditional the traditional end got contaminated with heat and Mother didn't enjoy it.
I got what are callled around here California collards going. it is onions garlic chicken stock some hot peppers and de-stemmed chopped collards. traditional southern style is cooked with a hunk of pork either hock or jowl no stock and no hot peppers neither just a pinch of cayanne.
Can I tell y'all I hate blackeyed peas, but traditon has to be maintained so I will eat a spoonfull and then switch to blackbeans while everybody else had those peas.
for dessert we will be having a pumpkin stack cake made with whipped creamcheese, flax hotcakes pumpkin butter and then folk can add a drizzle of syrup if they want. not a New Yrs tradition but something I love for breakfast that can be dessert too. We also have a high carb lemon cranberry soy free cake the neighbors fix for us cause they know mother is soy allergic and loves lemon cake. That cake will be gone after dinner either by guests eating it up or the garbage disposal eating the rest!

so what are y'all having?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #1544

Quote:
as long as you are eating those yummy induction veggies and rung one veggies ( hint hint)
hee hee! You're so very subtle with your hints, over there. I love my veggies. That has never been an issue with me since I recommitted to low-carbing; I eat so many more of them these days than I ever did before Atkins. I have been on a major Brussels sprouts kick, and cabbage too.

Well, as for your question about holiday foods, what we ended up having last night was kind of funny; we bought some nice cheeses and thin-sliced spicy sopressata sausage that I was planning on having, and I don't know if you read it in the Lobby but I was goofing around experimenting with bacon-wrapped Brussels sprouts in the afternoon. But then somebody on the "What are you having for your NYE party?" thread mentioned wings, and I got a bug up my butt about wings--I haven't made them for a long time.

But I really didn't want to go back out to the store. Finally around five, I asked my boyfriend "Uh...what are your thoughts about baked hot wings?" and he said he was on board with that, and I said "But we bought that fancy cheese and everything!" and he said "We can eat it later this weekend, big deal!"

So we bundled up and made a quick run to the supermarket, and got wings, celery and blue cheese dressing. I baked them with Tabasco and hot Cholula sauce on 400 for an hour, then stirred them all up and cranked the oven to 450 for another 15-20 minutes. I like them baked to the point where they just fall off the bone. We ate 'em up and they were fabulous.

It was one of the few times in the past year that I have eaten past the point of satisfaction to fullness and I have felt kind of gross all day as a result, 'cause I'm just not used to that anymore...but that's likely from the sodium from that hot sauce.

Ms. Woods, I was thinking of you because I know you love your wings! And dang, they are good!

2big, from my Southern friends, I've become familiar with that tradition of blackeyed peas for luck, pork for prosperity, and collard greens being green for money. I think it's kind of fun. My family had no particular food traditions at all for New Year's Day.

This morning I got up early, which I nearly always do regardless of the day of the week, and my God, the sunrise was incredible. It was hot pink coming from the east, stretching all the way to the west over the mountains, and the full moon was bright and clear over the Rockies. Made me feel grateful for the new year.

Last edited by peanutte; 01-01-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #1545

Gallery: LivestrongH2
Stats: 30 y/o and 6'3!!! 249/239/190
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 12/28/09
lots of good info in here---subscribing!
LivestrongH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #1546
Big Yapper!!!!

I am in pork heaven right now. I took some of Mothers mustard rosemary pork scrapped off the crust and chopped it up. I put diced jalepenos in the frying pan and then added the prk when they were almost done and browned it. next time I I cutting the pork in 1/2 and doing them in seperate pans in the over so I can have hot pork and she can have mild pork.

I need some ideas for things to do with left over collards other then just eat them as cooked greens as the temp dipped into the teens so I had to pick it all or lose it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #1547
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivestrongH2 View Post
lots of good info in here---subscribing!
welcome what rung of OWL are you on?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #1548
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm trying to add in more veggies right now, but I am wanting to start losing again before I try the next step...berries
Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #1549
Big Yapper!!!!

So what veggies did you add?

I discovered I was very good with all berries except fresh Strawberries and there it was all or none! So I don't go strawberry picking and look skyward in the grocery store when the fresh ones are in season.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #1550
Big Yapper!!!!

Well so far today I've only had a fresh mixed green and herb organic salad, but i bought mushrooms, tomatoes, green onins, and broccoli.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #1551

2big, I find that grocery store strawberries around here are often so disappointing (to me, flavor-wise) that I will usually not eat them; I'll eat blackberries, or raspberries. But don't even try to keep me away from the strawberry farm in the summertime, 'cause those little tiny ones are incredible and since I have to walk around the field picking them myself, I get some exercise too, ha ha.

Your spicy pork sounds great.

I don't know much about collard greens, but can you use them in a soup or stew? Can you use them in salad or are they too tough? Could you use them as a wrapper around some kind of meat and veg mixture and bake them?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
welcome what rung of OWL are you on?
Today is day 8 of Atkins induction for me. I was down 7 lbs this morning since I started Dec 28th, 2009!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #1553

That's great! Congratulations, Heather!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #1554

Thanks so much peanutte!! I was pretty happy. I'm just plugging away and taking 1 day at a time....oh, and PLANNING! That has been the key for me! I can already tell this board is going to be a savior for me!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #1555

Well, today I conducted a little experiment. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but early last year when I was Inducting, I became convinced that I had a mushroom intolerance and it made me feel glum because I love mushrooms so much. It seemed like every time I ate them, especially sliced raw ones on a salad, I would have stomach cramps and other problems for hours. After a particularly bad bout with sauteed mushrooms that had me doubled over for half the night, I vowed to leave them alone, and I have.

Well, not all that long ago--a little bit before Thanksgiving, I think it was--I made that green bean casserole with canned organic cream of mushroom soup and had no ill effects from the mushrooms. Granted, that would be a small amount. This got me to thinking that maybe something had changed. So I bought a few brown crimini mushrooms last week and I used 2 ounces in an omelet this morning and had no problems at all. None. Boy, did that make me happy.

It always seemed to be the common white button mushrooms that did it. I can't imagine criminis are different enough to have an entirely different effect, but maybe that's so.

If I can start using small amounts of mushrooms in soups and sautees I will be an extra-happy Atkinseer.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #1556
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Oh peanutte, that is great news. I can't imagine my WOE without mushrooms!! I've been getting them cheap at the farmers markets and going through about 1kg (~2pounds) a week!!

Quick update on me (hanging my head):- Started out with good plans for Christmas, had too much wine but food was LC . Boxing day @ our friends place I took LC stuff, but ended up having some crackers & chips on top of the LC stuff I'd taken . Got back on track for the next day or 2 then we had a carbage blow out new years eve which extended into new years day. Spent the next 2 days on-plan and then blew it again with potato chips . Was feeling really crappy after that and got back on plan next meal.

So am on day 3 of induction level carbs, although not strict induction, and feeling much better now! I'm concentrating on getting the food right this week although Friday night is dinner out with the in-laws & Saturday night is a girls night out with my best friend - both dangerous for alcohol, although I'm designated driver on Saturday.

Planning on staying off the scale until Saturday morning and hopefully some of the 10# gain will have gone . Interestingly enough my waist measurement was only up 0.5cm (~1/5") so maybe there was a large percentage of water weight but I doubt it with the calories I would have been consuming!!!

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23

Last edited by ozdancer; 01-06-2010 at 04:52 PM..
ozdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #1557

Quote:
Oh peanutte, that is great news. I can't imagine my WOE without mushrooms!!
Tell me about it! They add so much flavor.

I'm sorry about your holiday carbfest, but at least you are getting back on track and not letting it become a month-long free-for-all. Maybe it's good that you felt crappy so you will remember that next time you're tempted.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #1558

oops--double post
Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #1559

133.8 this morning. I expect to continue seeing fluctuations instead of downward numbers on the scale and that is just fine. But it is the first time in six weeks that I've dipped down below 134, so that's encouraging.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #1560
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdancer View Post

So am on day 3 of induction level carbs, although not strict induction, and feeling much better now! I'm concentrating on getting the food right this week although Friday night is dinner out with the in-laws & Saturday night is a girls night out with my best friend - both dangerous for alcohol, although I'm designated driver on Saturday.

Planning on staying off the scale until Saturday morning and hopefully some of the 10# gain will have gone . Interestingly enough my waist measurement was only up 0.5cm (~1/5") so maybe there was a large percentage of water weight but I doubt it with the calories I would have been consuming!!!
I too have had a rough time recently, but my "recently" has been since SEPTEMBER! It started with all the traveling back and forth to Praia, and then my mom coming, and then my hubby's friend coming, then Thanksgiving, then baking for friends, then the holidays.

However, during that time I "only" gained about 7# (I know, "only" right?) and it keeps seeming to come off easily. What I mean is, I will get "distracted" and off plan, and I will gain XX lbs, but then I lose almost all of those after 3 days on induction. Unfortunately it's been snowballing with everything being so crazy here (and I will admit a long period of depression around the holidays).

I'm still in the 150s so I'm still happy, my clothes are not noticablly tight, and I've eaten very clean since January 2nd. I have come to terms with "hiccups" and that, while I don't want them to happen, if they do, they do, and the best thing is to get back on track ASAP.

I should also mention that I can see a PHYSICAL difference in my body, muscle wise, even moreso than before, since I've been doing Capoeira for two months. My core is so much stronger, as are my legs, and my butt is really cute looking lol. I think that it's safe to assume that I am building muscle and I need to pay very close attention to body and clothes changes instead of scale changes. My shoulders have never looked so hot LOL
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote