Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #1501
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Just wanted to share a little something I made up today inspired by Peanutte.

I'm going to laminate 2 A3 sized posters - one for the fridge & one for the pantry cupboard. Gotta try something as good-old willpower isn't working and the self-talk is not ingrained enough yet.
ozdancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #1502
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
That's awesome! I hope it helps.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #1503
Major LCF Poster!

I hope so to Peanutte, worth a try anyway. I know these things, but the self-talk hasn't caught up yet so am finding now dancing is on holidays I'm at a bit of a loose end and ending up in front of the TV and falling into old bad habits. Gotta nip it in the bud!

Last edited by ozdancer; 12-09-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Old 12-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #1504
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
love your sign. Have you got it on the frig and all the food cabinets?
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #1505

Oz, is there something in particular that's causing you to gravitate toward some old habits?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #1506
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
love your sign. Have you got it on the frig and all the food cabinets?
yup, on the fridge & on the pantry (non-fridge) food cupboard .

Peanutte, the last 3 or so months I've been out dancing 3 nights a week and have barely turned the TV on, mostly only watching pre-recorded shows once a week or so. Dancing in on hiatus for summer holidays until February so am finding myself sitting longer in front of the TV and more often than I've gotten used to. I think there is a bordom factor here as there isn't much in the was of good television this time of year either and lots of repeats (we don't have payTV).

I have some sewing projects I want to get done and a bellydance routine to learn, plus I'd like to use the down time from dance class to pull out the pilates DVD again and I intend on going to our Latin Aerobics classes on a Wednesday night. I think there's a bit of a tiredness factor creeping in to as the last 2 weeks have been particularly busy, over an above the business of the last 2 months.

Would prefer not to leave it to chance, one night munching in front of the TV was enough of a wake up to do something. I had written down the things I wanted to get done (as above) while I have some extra time, but find it easy to forget them and settle for the TV instead. The visual might make the difference. Not really going to be testing it until Sunday though as I won't even be home enough tonight or tomorrow to have 'issues'.

Next week might be the biggest test as not only am I dance class free Monday & Thursday nights I am also child-free for the whole week which in itself creates more free time.

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #1507

Around this time of year in the States, TV can become a major time-suck because it gets dark so early (around 4:30), and it's cold, and it makes a person feel like doing not much of anything. I don't have cable TV, which helps. I can totally understand that you're missing your dancing right about now! I think writing down some alternative activities and posting them in easily seen locations is a great strategy.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #1508

Surprisingly, I am up 2.4 pounds this week. Things I am not going to do in reaction to that:

*run to the lobby and post a panicked thread about it

*fret about everything I ate this week

*weigh myself fifty times today (I might weigh myself at another point in the day, but only once)

*react by cutting back on my calories and/or carbs

*do a gimmicky fast of any kind, be it meat/egg, yogurt, or some popular new recipe that's supposed to drop the pounds

What I am going to do about it:

*note that it's the first time in eleven months I've been up this much on a Friday weigh-in, which is pretty damn good for eleven months

*change my stats to reflect this fact, because honesty is important to me and I've publicly committed to updating my stats

*note that my menu this week was much the same as last week's menu so I don't need to worry about that

*note that I just got my period

*enjoy the rest of my day!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #1509
Big Yapper!!!!

good for you Peanutte.

Ozdancer did you know that if your brain is distracted while you are eating it doesn't realize you are actually eating and never gives any feedback to appetite and hunger controls to help you stop? that is why folk can eat those entire large buckets of popcorn while watching a movie but can't if they are just sitting and eating popcorn with nothing to distract them.
So never eat while watching TV or any other mind absorbing activity. make the eating the focus of your mind.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #1510
Major LCF Poster!

Peanutte, great attitude I will need to borrow that from time to time I'm sure .

2Big - thanks, I know the TV watching + eating is mindless and easily leads to over consumption. Working on making new/better habits on the occasions I actually sit down to watch TV/movies.

Jumped on the scale this morning & I've finally gotten back to my profile weight, actually I'm just under it . Off to update my profile and then eat, shower & go to a latin dance expo all day (am helping teach a cha cha workshop this afternoon & party into the night - DD is @ my parent's place so I'm free as a bird ).
Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #1511

You know, come to think of it, I have stopped eating while watching TV except for rare occasions where we're actually eating dinner while watching something. I didn't even notice I've almost completely stopped that.

Oz, congrats on getting your profile weight back!

Last edited by peanutte; 12-11-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Old 12-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #1512
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Peanutte, holding steading this morning too even with alcohol and some extra calories over the weekend (carbs were all good though ).

On to almonds this week for my OWL plan. As I don't really like them to eat as is I'll be using some almond meal, which I've used before. Gotta think of things to use it for, usually I've only used almond meal in baking or to coat chicken. Will do my almond meal, parmesan & spices chicken coating once this week, but what to do the other 2 times?? Might see if I can find some time to go recipe hunting over the next few days. I could use some in Dobie muffins (subbing PP) only thing I don't like about this is the calories get quite high. Wonder if individual cheesecake with an almond meal base would work (if I can workout a single portion there's hope for this ).

I think the next 2 weeks will be a lesson in maintenance more than anything with a girls night in Saturday with my best friend (= alcohol in copious volumes ), then of course Christmas. I'm making some GF LC things for Christmas day - #1 for me to eat & #2 my sister who has Graves Disease (thyroid) has just been confirmed as Celiac as well (has been GF for the last 2 years as she knew she was gluten intollerant). So going to share some GF treats & the flax sandwich buns .

Then Boxing Day we've been invited to a friend's place, no idea what the food will be (left-overs mostly, cold meats & salads I believe) so may even make an extra LC cake to take to their place. Definitely looking much more like a maintenance menu, but I'm good with that.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #1513

I think it's a useful exercise to have some weeks where your intention is just to maintain, Oz--absolutely.

I am not crazy about almonds; they're okay but I can take them or leave them. I tend to use them when traveling, and that's about it.

As I suspected, the temporary fluctuation evened out and I was back to 134.6 on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I normally would not weigh myself except for Fridays, but if the scale goes up instead of down, then yeah, I will weigh myself until I get things back where I want them.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #1514
Big Yapper!!!!

make your crust from butter and nut meal. if you like cinnamon add a bit too. Mother is allergic to most crust grains so I've been making chopped nut crusts for her for yrs. My fruit pie may leak but she loves the crunchie crust with them so who cares.

You can individual serving just about anything figuring out how to divide the eggs was tricky at first but then I figured mix them up in a bowl and remove whatever portion I need for the one item and use the rest for a breakfast omlette. and you can just use your flax for the egg in your muffin. I mix 1/4 cup flax meal with one scoop of PP and 1/2 c of water to get cake after I nuke it.
you could do 2T flax meal with 1/2 a scoop PP and 1/4 c water to make one muffin. the trick is to stir like crazy for about 90 seconds for the flax to delevope the egg like chemical it contains. if you want it lighter in texture add 1/4t baking powder and 1T EEOV. the olive oil taste is not even detectible.

We are leaving for our Christmas vacation west in the morning so y'all have a Merry Christmas and be low carb celebrating the love and frienships you share with your friends family and coworkers and not the high carb foods being offered.

Oh and besure to check the induction board and main lobbies for any inductees who need a nudging to move to OWL so they don't binge at week 4 out of frustration and become a YO-YO inductee.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #1515

Safe travels, 2big! See you in a while! Have a great Christmas.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #1516
Major LCF Poster!

Merry Christmas 2Big, have a wonderful time. Thanks for the help, I've actually been too busy this week to even think about baking so the almond meal hasn't happened. But I am baking next week for Christmas so will push it back a week. May have some time tonight we'll see if it's enough to bake.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #1517

How's everybody doing?

I think I'm learning that even though my higher carbs are legal on the weekends, still, I need to be careful with them. I had mango slices, too many brussels sprouts, and "extras" like olives, cheese, hard sausage and proscuitto. It left me feeling gross, and up a few pounds on Monday. Back to clean, simple eating and lower carbs for me, because that's how I feel best.

Plus, I used this spicy chipotle adobo sauce on some ribs I made, and although the container said it had 3 grams per tablespoon, something was off there, because I was retaining water like crazy. I suspect my food may have had a lot of cumulative sodium over the weekend, but the best way to avoid that is to stick with simple food with no mystery ingredients, and olives are little salt bombs. The hard sausage definitely has 460 mg per ounce, yikes.

I'm focused and ready for the holidays, though. Not making any SF desserts or casserole-type recipes. I did pick up some turnips and I might make mashed turnips! One cup of mashed cooked turnips has 7.1 net grams--11.6 minus 4.5 fiber. I might use 3/4 cup to make one serving--haven't decided yet.

Last edited by peanutte; 12-22-2009 at 07:51 AM..
Old 12-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #1518
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Peanutte, I'm going well. Hope everyone else is having a great lead up to Christmas.

I've kinda stopped on the nut rung of OWL for the moment. Really just too busy to figure out what to eat for the legumes rung - I'd like to add these to my diet but they are something I've not really had before except in Chilli Con Carne. Mind you I am baking tomorrow and will be making blackbean choclate cake so there's two bean recipes now .

Soo looking forward to 1 1/2 weeks off work though, bring on the holidays - only 7.5hrs to go .
Old 12-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #1519

Well, I made it through the holidays just fine! I enjoyed reasonable portions of turkey, roast beef, brussels sprouts, mashed turnips, deviled eggs, and...that's about it. It wasn't hard to stay on plan at all.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #1520

boy, i have been terrible over the holidays. I am really upset with myself. Same crap...letting myself have just one taste etc.,. Bottom line...not only was I once 5 pounds from goal at 126...I am now 142...I have to do this..I am so depressed all the time and look at my gorgeous clothes hanging there waiting for my return.
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #1521

Try to learn from your mistakes and get back to being determined and focused on your goal, Aim! You can do it!

I'm sorry you're feeling so depressed.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #1522

thanks Peanut! I appreciate that very much. I am. Back on the wagon now.
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #1523
Major LCF Poster!

Aim, you are not alone! I've only had off-plan foods one day (at a friends place with it all lain out in front of my + alcohol = killer combo). But I must say I didn't have much of it and have been back on LC straight away. Although I've been overeating LC foods & goodies which will surely affect the scale anyway. I'm staying away from it until I can get back on track. Will watch my clothes though and may need to snap myself back to reality with the scale at some stage.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #1524
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm back did y'all miss me?
CA was great with yummy low carb breakfast offerings from the hotels' buffet and even greek yogurt plain.
dinners were home cooked most of the time and a crab feast on the pier in SF. Lunch was left over dinners so that was cool.

there was this eggnog and cookie event but I passed the cokie plates to the next person without indulging.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #1525

Yay, 2big is back! Of course I missed you! But I'm glad you had fun.

Oh, I remembered something I was going to tell you all--I was at a restaurant supply store recently and was surprised to see that they carried every possible type of the DaVinci syrups. I don't use them, but those of you who like them might do well to visit your local restaurant supply place. They had many flavors I had never even heard of!

I used leftovers from my roast beef to make beef and cabbage soup last night. I took the really rare, marbled parts and cubed them up, then threw them in a pot with shallots, garlic, and made a stock out of that--seasoned with paprika, salt and coarse ground pepper. After that simmered and cooked down for an hour, I threw 4 ounces of cabbage in there as well. Very nice dinner and I thought it was a good use of leftovers.

I had a good low-carb dining experience yesterday at a local restaurant that specializes in organic and natural foods. I asked for the blackened salmon sandwich without the whole wheat bun, and the server suggested that I cold have steamed broccoli instead of the bun. Nice! I also has a very small side salad with house-made ranch dressing. What a perfect lunch.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #1526
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Tag!

I've only read the first few posts but they sound like me. I'm scared to start adding more things in.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #1527
Big Yapper!!!!

boy you got here fast MsWoods.
welcome

Overcoming that fear using the tools Dr Atkins gives OWLers is as easy as taking baby steps to start a walking exercise program.

what is to fear about adding back 5 more net grams, about 80-90 cals worth of those yummy induction veggies you have already been having? You can also experiment with making some roasted veggies as a sauce for your other veggies or meats. And now soup is a yummy easy addition cause you got more veggies you can add to make it heartier and not so brothy.
And you can stay on each rung as long as you like so squat down on the veggie rung is you are afraid to move to the fresh dairy and add another 5 net grams of those yummy veggies if you want after you see how your first addition goes. I added 2 sets or rung 1 on my journey to goal.
If you are looking forward to the fresh dairy and trying some high fat yogurt you have been seeing all the posts about in the main lobby then you need to hurry threough the veggie rung to start it. just remeber follow Dr Atkins advise have a fat with your new carbs, have the new to you food no more then 3 times the first week, and should a new to you food cause you cravings or weight loss issues punt it for now. you can try it again later and see if your body can handle it or not.

So what are you adding back this week?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #1528
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
That's the thing. 20 is my magical (we're talking in my head here Lol) number, that I try to stay below. I stay below 20, I'm going to lose weight (this is me thinking here). Most of the time though, I don't even eat 10-15. I don't eat many veggies atm. I have to retrain my brain to think it's ok, which is a work in progress, since thanksgiving. I had a small portion of berries at thanksgiving (raspberries, blackberries, and 1 strawberry) and had some things made out of almond flour (this was a huge step for me I was terrified), but did not gain. I have actually lost 10lbs since Thanksgiving and I have been eating things I was scared of before (peanut butter, cream cheese, almond flour (once or so a week). I had some squash also at Thanksgiving (butternut and acorn). Generally I don't eat these things though and it was the one occasion, but I really would love some berries. I had1 strawberry in some white wine on Christmas, it was very good. I would actually also like to try yogurt but I'm scared of that as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #1529
Big Yapper!!!!

if you eat 10-15 then you start your OWL right there with 5 more so try having 5 more net grams of those yummy veggies for a week and see what happens. You will be getting lots of good for you micronutriants like potasium, calcium, vits, and other minerals too that your body needs to keep the fatty acid metabolism humming along. You know in your heart that adding those few cals for a week isn't going to add any body fat to your frame so try it. then once you see how well it goes with the veggies you can try adding back some other rungs. You might be surprized how well your shrinking continues.

with the yogurt are you afraid you will pigout and eat it by the gallon or just afraid 5 net grams will give you back pounds of body fat?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #1530
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I can only say from my own experience, but I'm much, much happier on OWL than I was on Induction. That doesn't mean that I don't have days where I eat induction levels and induction only foods. But it does mean that days like today I enjoyed some homemade plain yogurt with splenda and half an apple (OMG they had FUGI APPLES in the store today!! Not the faux-apples we usually have in Cape Verde. I about lost it, didn't even make it home to eat it lol, just sat in the street and split it with hubby).

OWL has been HUGE for my ability to maintain the kind of lifestyle I require here. I know my situation is unique, but I think OWLs flexibility just makes life easier in general. And plus, if I DO go overboard, I know the next day I can drop back and it'll average out in the end (though I guess that's more a AFL thing).
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote