Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #121
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
I hear you on that slows the scale numbers with weight training.
If you can get your body fat measured before you start and then again as you progress it helps so much to let you know in real numbers you are adding lean body mass something you want cause it increases metabolism and helps you healthwise too and even though the scales are not moving the direction you want body fat is being removed too as that lean tissue is added. I added 11 pounds of lean body tissue between June 03 and Dec 03 as I was chasing that darn sclae number goal and only lost 4 pounds total. Folk were telling me how small I was getting blah blah blah and I was so fixated on the scale number I missed that whole I'm a goalie time.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kerbear879
Stats: 341/200.2/160 @ 5'9"
Start Date: 3/23/2005
Yeah I am not crazy about exercise. I just wear my pedometer every day and track my steps. I have been really really bad about walking lately though. I used to get about 10,000 steps a day and I think this month I am only averaging around 5,000 a day. Next month should be better since the time is changing and I will have a lot more daylight so I can walk in the afternoons after work. I already told my boyfriend we were doing that every day.

I still don't think the number on the scale is going to move this week..but I have heard a lot about people not losing anything in week 3 and 4 (i'm in week 4 right now). So I guess it's normal. I think I am going to move to the fresh cheese stage next week anyways. I've got some ricotta sitting in the fridge that I want to use. So maybe that's what I will add next week.
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

to help your walking motivation check out the walk america site you can log your steps and walk from the atlantic coast to the pacific stopping in many state capitals along the way too. and you know you can march in place while you fix meals or even brush your teeth to get back to 10,000 steps a day.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
that's a great idea 2Big! that could be fun! I'll get my pedometer on and try that.

I did see a jump in the scale today. I am going to attribute that to weight training. I can tell my muscles are retaining water. I noticed a slight change in measurement, but either way I just feel really good! I'll drink a lot of water today and see if that flushes things out.

Happy Weekend!
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: betsypear1
Another OWLee

Hello! Thought I'd join this thread as I have been on OWL for 9 weeks now, after having done two weeks on Induction. I read through this thread so far and there's a lot of great info!

Just a little about me: Normally, in previous attempts at Atkins I would try to stay on Induction for a long time as I have a lot to lose (this time at least 90 more pounds). I was encourage on the Atkins.com board to move to OWL so I did.

I am a very slow loser, due to being metabolically resistant (post-menopausal, on high blood pressure meds and possibly having Candida, and suspect I have be low thyroid although the test so far always come back normal). So I've only lost a few pounds total, BUT I am losing inches pretty routinely, even though my clothes don't feel much looser, which I found quite odd. But I think a description earlier on this thread made me realize that the body is just still hanging on to fluids, and it will let them go when it's ready!

I have gone up and down the OWL ladder as well as the number of carbs a couple times, going back down because I went to fast. Now, I'm back down between 25 and 30 net carbs a day, with at least 17-18 from vegetables. Am going to cut out cheese this week to see if it helps this weird bloating I keep getting. That may also be due to nuts which I also cut out.

I also am trying to increase my exercise. I am way too sedentary, as I sit at a computer for a living. What I've been doing is walking the dog (my husband told the dog he has to take me for 3 walks a day!), and am starting to do some strength training workouts as well.

Anyway, I know this is long - sorry! Just wanted to introduce myself, since we're all on the same journey.
betsypear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Betsy!

Subway sucks. I got stuck having to go Subway for lunch after my son's soccer game with my parents. I thought "ok, easy, I'll get a salad with the meat and cheese on it, and olive Oil and vinegar." I come home, read their website and every meat they have is infused with some kind of high fructose corn syrup or sugar. I got the steak and cheese thinking that would be the least 'fooled around with' meat on the menu. WRONG! they all have some sort of sugar in them. YUCK!

I think I'll go walk 5 miles and try to sweat the crap out of me!!

We're going to the movies. I'm going to pack myself a snack so I don't get tempted by the smell of popcorn.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #127
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Guess what! I avoided a near disaster today. My boyfriend wanted to go out for a late breakfast and we went to Village Inn...he ordered a skillet breakfast and I got a mushroom swiss burger and asked for a salad with ranch instead of the fries.

When my food came, the plate was full of fries. I said "Oh, I was going to have a salad instead, remember?" The waiter apologized and brought my salad right away. I didn't TOUCH a single fry. I just knew they weren't going to be good enough to be worth it. I also discarded my bun because I'd forgotten to ask for no bun. My boyfriend's breakfast came with 2 pieces of bacon, which he gave to me, and I crumbled them up on my salad after removing all the croutons.

I feel good about not being tempted. Honestly, I didn't even want those fries. What I really wanted was...another burger! Mine wasn't very big!
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #128

Oh, and Hi Betsy! Wecome!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

yeah peanutte! yeah boyfriend too! he sounds very supportive!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #130

Yeah, he's really understanding about it. He's not interested in doing Atkins for himself, but he is respectful of my way of eating.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

LOL peanutte you should have trained your BF to be the designated ff eater. Seriously my little nephew announced in a resturant that only served slaw and fries with everything he would have to eat mine for me cause I was not allowed them! glad you held out and didn't nibble any.

Hey there Betsypear1. get a fitness ball and use it for your computer chair then you are getting a workout just sitting at your computer and once you get the balancing on the ball down pat you can do crunches while you wait for a page to load too.

CHasemama oh do I hear you on that yucky subway stuff. With food allergies I was so annoyed to learn their meats contain fillers. the tuna salad is just supposed to be mayo and tuna though if you want to go that route.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #132

Oh honey...my boyfriend does NOT need any french fries, believe me!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starcat
Stats: 177.2/159/135
WOE: HCG P2
Start Date: November 2011
Hi all,

I'm joining this thread, as I'm just starting my second week of OWL. I found it hard during the first week to add in the 5 carbs. I had gotten pretty used to staying under 20. What have been your strategies to get your extra carbs out of veggies? I'm adding in fresh cheeses this week, but I don't want to overload on dairy. Thanks.
Starcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wendysmiling
Stats: 250/128 now 200/154/135 5'5"
I'm really watching this. It's a great topic.
wendysmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday! ...ugh!

I was really strict during the first 2 weeks of induction - only eating about 10-15 carbs a day - if even that many some days. I guess I'm technically still induction then because I want to get up to 20 carbs and still make sure I am losing before I go further. I am adding in a lot more veggies - ate a lot of spinach and cauliflower this weekend.

I just can't wait to be able to add nuts in. I love nuts and I'm really looking forward to almonds, walnuts, and pecans. YUM!

I am still back up 2 pounds. I need to control the dairy. I have been way too liberal with dairy. So this week it's going to be less dairy, more veggies. It's also that TOM for me this week so I'm going not going to weigh until it's over. It's amazing how I can actually tell now that I am bloated. I just ALWAYS felt bloated before. Have you guys noticed that as well?

STARCAT - welcome! Looks like you are having GREAT success!! 35 pounds down since October - and through the holidays is fantastic!!

Hiya WENDYSMILING! What is Cushing's Sydrome?

Peanutte - how was your weekend?

2Big - You are right - I thought about the tuna later. So if I ever get stuck there again, that's what I'll get for sure!

Let's all have a GREAT WEEK!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #136
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
I'm eating apples again. I still can't understand why I can eat apples, way up on the "other fruit" rung, without any hunger issues, but I can't eat melon, down on the "berries and melon" rung, without wanting to gnaw my arm off an hour later - even if I eat it with fat, like cream. I think it must be the fibre.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMama View Post
Hiya WENDYSMILING! What is Cushing's Sydrome?

There are many more symptoms, but here are some basics. It also causes rapid bone loss and bone death. I got it from a mis-diagnosis and fed cortisone for 4 years that I never needed.

Last edited by wendysmiling; 02-23-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Wendy - What did they originally diagnose you with? So you had a great loss a few years ago and then this last year your body just went wacky? I'm so sorry you have had to go through all that.

I was in my 150's a little over a year ago. I got the Mirena - birth control IUC. Without any change to my diet, I ballooned up to over 180 in 3 months. I took it out after that, but I haven't been able to get it off since. Not really what you went through, but still really hard to take after being told it has no affect on weight gain. I should have done my reading before because there are thousands of women out there that are claiming that along with weight gain there is bad depression too, which I also experienced.

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #139
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcat View Post
Hi all,

I'm joining this thread, as I'm just starting my second week of OWL. I found it hard during the first week to add in the 5 carbs. I had gotten pretty used to staying under 20. What have been your strategies to get your extra carbs out of veggies? I'm adding in fresh cheeses this week, but I don't want to overload on dairy. Thanks.
Eat higher carb veggies. Look at the acceptable foods list for OWL and there it shows how many carbs/serving.

Ex: 6 asparagus spears, 1/2 cup spinach, 1/2 cup cooked tomato 1/2 an avocado=5 g carb

Try adding tomato based sauces in meals add gaucamole or avacodo to your normal salad.

hth
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

I was diagnosed with adrenal failure (Addison's disease) 3 months after I hit goal. I started gaining immediately and held at about 145-165 from 2004 to 2008. Then the accumulation just caught up with me. I've been in the ER with a possible seizure and kidney stones all related.

My DD 21 was put on the birth control patch for a year and gained nearly 8o lbs. She's been off it for almost 3 years and the weight is still there.

Quote:
Wendy - What did they originally diagnose you with? So you had a great loss a few years ago and then this last year your body just went wacky? I'm so sorry you have had to go through all that.

I was in my 150's a little over a year ago. I got the Mirena - birth control IUC. Without any change to my diet, I ballooned up to over 180 in 3 months. I took it out after that, but I haven't been able to get it off since. Not really what you went through, but still really hard to take after being told it has no affect on weight gain. I should have done my reading before because there are thousands of women out there that are claiming that along with weight gain there is bad depression too, which I also experienced.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by wendysmiling; 02-23-2009 at 10:30 AM..
Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

that 5 gramfrom 1/2 cup of spinach is for cooked spinach guys so don't think you have overeatten your carbs cause you had a 3 cup fresh spinach salad. one of those bags of spinach win the store that is about 10 cups raw will cook down to 1/2 cup cooked with the fluids drained.

CHaseMama actually you start OWL from whereever you ate yourijnduction so if you had 10 grams for induction then week one of OWL is 15. you can add 2 week ones to get more veggies and get to 20 if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcat
Hi all,

make veggie sauces for your meats like a roasted redpepper, tomato, pesto ( skip the pine nuts till rung 3), stuff your proteins with a cream cheese green veggie mixture like spinach.
make veggie soup, pumpkin anything, spaghetti squash ro a casserole with veggies cheese and protein. you can add some nuts or seeds on rung 3.

I made gumbo and added chicken, or shrimp before serving it for a meal in a bowl.

Okay Peanutte I'll lend you my ff eater next time LOL and darn if he isn't all skin and bones still.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysmiling View Post
I was diagnosed with adrenal failure (Addison's disease) 3 months after I hit goal. I started gaining immediately and held at about 145-165 from 2004 to 2008. Then the accumulation just caught up with me. I've been in the ER with a possible seizure and kidney stones all related.

My DD 21 was put on the birth control patch for a year and gained nearly 8o lbs. She's been off it for almost 3 years and the weight is still there.
ouch. Hope you are now getting the care you need.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

2big I have hypothyroid too. Fun stuff.

Hey I made it through Day 1.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

2Big, in an earlier post you said:
Quote:
to help your walking motivation check out the walk america site you can log your steps and walk from the atlantic coast to the pacific stopping in many state capitals along the way too. and you know you can march in place while you fix meals or even brush your teeth to get back to 10,000 steps a day.
I tried to find that, but it went to March of Dimes and I couldn't find where you can log your steps. Do you have a link?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #145

Dang it, 2big, you just reminded me that I meant to buy pumpkin this weekend and forgot. Grrrr!

Wendy, I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. I don't know anything about Addison's, so I will have to do a little research.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
2Big, in an earlier post you said:

I tried to find that, but it went to March of Dimes and I couldn't find where you can log your steps. Do you have a link?

Thanks!
I used the free first step tracker.

First Step Tracker
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Anyone heard from kerbear? She's been M.I.A. from here...
Old 02-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #148
Big Yapper!!!!

have you sent her a PM to see if she is okay. she was going to try 1 min muffins last I saw on the 20th.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

I'll see if I can figure out how to do that...
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #150
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'll see if I can figure out how to do that...
easy way is find a post by her and right click her screen name on the left side of the post. a drop down menu should pop up and one option is to send a private message click it and you are ready to write your message