Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #1171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 209/202/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 3/14/11
I've spent most of the weekend doing laundry and packing for our Disney trip next week. Why is it this much work to go on vacation.

Tomorrow, we're heading to Hurricaine Harbor. Last weekend for waterparks in Jersey. It's already really a little too cool to swim, but I want to get one more time out of our season passes.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #1172
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
I must be doing something wrong, though maybe not as wrong as last time. Up to 30g, still spread out throughout the day (no big loads at one time) and the problem is I feel like I'm starving almost all the time. Right after a meal, I'm fine for maybe 45 minutes to an hour, and then it's back. Eating fat does not help much. Eating protein will stretch that safe zone to around 2 hours.

I'm still losing weight and still able to stick to my calorie targets, but this is feeling a lot like low-fat again, except without the energy fluctuations and intestinal difficulties. I haven't added any new foods, just increased portions of vegetables and nuts. UGH!

The good news is that I'm at my recommended target weight and the last 7 are my smoking cessation safety net.
congrats on getting to target weight.

When I ask Dr Atkins medical folk back in 2002 who much was too much protein they said start with 4-6 ounces for a meal and if you are hungry within an hour of eating that meal you need to add an additionional ounce of protein to your next meal until your hunger is gone soooooooooooooooooo how much portein are you having and is it a consistant amount each time you feed your hunger.

As a goalie you will discover appetite is back but having practiced how to eat from all the rungs and how not to cause yourself cravings for all those months in OWL and Premaintnenace you should have all the tools you need to control your eating.

Your hunger could also be a food you are having more of is for some reason triggering you. Are you logging the Ws who what when where why and how you feel before during and after you eat and an hour later? some times Atkins legal foods are not atkins legal for a person and must be avoided.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #1173
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats Dovelette

hope y'all all had a great Labor Day weekend.
The music was great
But the food well, lets just say they have gone low fat, almost fat free for lunch and dinner and left a lot to be desired. I was greatful for all the steamed veggies cause that meant they were soy free but dang for the 4th those folk served a get BBQ so you'd think being mountain music and NC we'd get some BBQ at least one over the 2 days, but nope boneless skinnless chicken breasts for lunch and dinner. We had 2 choices just like they said but the choice was lemon peppered or mesquit one night and lunch, and teriakye or lemon peppered the other. I ate a huge breakfast since it was low carb frendly with eggs bacon sausages and fresh fruit every morning with other high carb offerings. I haven't eatten so much salad dressing and cheese to get some fat since induction. Bet you can't guess where we stopped for lunch on the drive home today just so I could ahve some beef!!!!!.
And you know how music gets stuck in your head some times and you can't get it out. let me tell you about the radio in the henhouse song.LOL LOL Mother has been singing it day and night since Friday night. maybe it was all that chicken too. LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #1174
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Well...no idea what's going on with my body...but yesterday I was down to 153.4, today at 154.8, so...I'm thinking that officially puts me in VFT. I feel so...underwhelmed lol. I think I've figured out that I haven't weighed this little since I was 11 or 12 years old. So on to bigger and better (Smaller and better?) things - 148, here I come!

And on an even better front...I made shepards pie last night. OMG. OMG. OMG. Heaven. I don't think I've EVER made mashed cauliflower, even in America. It was unbelievable. I mixed salt, pepper, butter and yogurt since we don't have sour cream. It was just delicious. Couldn't quite mash it but I have my bullet blender and it whipped up amazingly in that.

Keeping in mind your advice peanutte, I put it in a 9 inch pie plate and cut it into 6 slices so I knew exactly how much I was eating. I think it came out to 6 or 7g carbs each. I can't WAIT to have it again - it makes 3 meals for the two of us this way!!!!!
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #1175
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I'm glad you liked the shepherd's pie, Dove! Way to go, portioning it out right away. CONGRATS on getting to these new lower weights that represent uncharted territory. I say it counts as all-new and shiny if you have never been at that weight as an adult. Your body was totally different when you weighed that as a kid--your skeleton was smaller, you didn't have boobs...so wow, that's really great and I'm so proud of you!

2big, I meant to comment on your mom getting that song in her head...that's pretty funny! Well, it's funny for me because I wasn't the one who had to sit there listening to her sing it and hum it all weekend!

Everything is good in my neck of the woods. I love my new fridge so much. It looks really silly because it's too big for our tiny kitchen, but hey, we figured we should get what we want.* Last time I checked, our house wasn't open to the public on the Parade of Homes, so who cares if it isn't how a designer would choose. I'm getting used to it, but at first I was like whoa, what is this enormous monolith in my kitchen?!

*I actually was lobbying for the slightly smaller model but the BF really felt like the smaller one was too small, plus, as it turns out, the depth would have been pretty much the same so it still would have stuck out from the counter. I think the doors on the new ones stick out further than the old ones did.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #1176
Major LCF Poster!

peanutte - I think my boobs were bigger THEN than NOW LOL

Seriously, I'm totally flat now. Just some small rocks in socks.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #1177

Yeah, actually I am loving being flatter-chested, myself. It doesn't look good on me to carry more weight in the upper body. Just makes me look matronly.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #1178
Big Yapper!!!!

woo hoo on the new frig peanutte

Congrats Dovelette so should I get you some more cauliflower care packages? and if you are going to magic bullet them I can take them out of the can and not worry about them getting crused to mail more stuff for the same price

oh and you know you can add some cheese to the taters for a real treat. Next try Cleochatras cauliflower pizza crust. you can use your dried mushrooms and sundried tomatoes if you got any left for the sauce.
oh and they have tomato powder which is freezdried tomato paste if you need maters for making sauces

Have you tried making your own fresh cheese like ricotta or mozzarella? I did some of that back in 2005 but I like store bought it is just milk and a conditoner lemonjuice or vinegar for ricotta and a little heat.
Mozzarella is a little trickier as you have to stretch the curds to get it to be mozzallera and not ricotta

oh and Mother has gotten that song out of her mind and noiw it is Oh Susanna with some verses I didn't know
Old 09-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #1179

Quote:
oh and Mother has gotten that song out of her mind and noiw it is Oh Susanna with some verses I didn't know
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #1180
Big Yapper!!!!

yep I'm coming round the moutain,driving horses, eating cherry pie, wearing red pjs, greeting, hugging, and having chicken and dumplings

not a low carb song neither LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #1181

I'm sorry but that is hilarious. Poor 2big!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #1182
Big Yapper!!!!

when she gets one stuck it is stuck and nothing will knock it out of her head neither! At least she is singing polite songs and not some rowdy cussing like a sailor song
Old 09-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #1183
Major LCF Poster!

2big the cauliflower was awesome, I am totally hooked on mashed cauli and yes I suppose since I"m mashing them they dont' need to be in one piece to begin with lol. Any idea on how measurements work out, wt. vs. volume? For example if a recipe calls for 16oz of frozen cauliflower, would I just use 2 cups of cauli or more or less or? I have a recipe tonight I wanted to make with broccoli, but am not sure how much to use...
Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #1184
Major LCF Poster!

Yay! Just ordered Atkins for Life for $2.88! And the New Rules of Lifting (the mens version) to follow after I finish the NROLFW!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #1185
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
For example if a recipe calls for 16oz of frozen cauliflower, would I just use 2 cups of cauli or more or less or? I have a recipe tonight I wanted to make with broccoli, but am not sure how much to use...
according to the company once you hydrate it whatever size it is is the same as fresh. dehydrated there were 10 cups in your can and each cup weighs 0.736 ounces if you want to weigh out your broccoli unhydrated. Just be sure you add extra liquid to your recipe for the rehydration if you don't do it a head of time.
I cheat on cups vs ounces and looked on the frozen veggies bags cause they are listed in weight ounces but the serving size is in volume cups sizes.
one cup of cut broccoli would be 3 ounces weight of broccoli. you will need a little more then 5 cups asuuming your 16 ounces is a weight 16 ounce and not a volume 16 ounces which would be 4 cups

Last edited by 2big4mysize; 09-11-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #1186

My Friday weigh-in report: exactly the same. Fine with me!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:02 AM   #1187
Major LCF Poster!

Hey folks, on my way to another training on the island of Santiago, so I'll be gone for a week. Feeling nervous as usual about travel, but good none the less, and most of all PREPARED lol

See you when I get back! OH! BTW I made a Chicken Divan the other night with the broccoli. Hubby is officially in love with you 2big. He has not stopped grinning since I opened that package LOL. The Shepards pie lasted us 3 meals and he moaned and groaned in pleasure over each one, it was pretty funny.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #1188
Big Yapper!!!!

do you want any other veggies besides broccoli and cauliflower? they have zuchini and green beans too I think.

Oh and I can send you some dirt and seeds this time too LOL cause I'll leave out the cans. under 4 pounds and no special customs forms according to the post office.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #1189

Boy, hardly any activity on this thread this week. For me, that's because I just keep plugging along doing what I'm doing. Nothing new or interesting to report. I did lose weight this week, and that's nice after two weeks of staying the same. I'm down to what I weighed when I was 27 years old (and thought I was fat!).
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #1190
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats peanutte.

I'm off to the docs cause that stupid allergic reaction is still making itchy spots all over my body where one gets warm except for the private parts thank goodness. even the inside of my ear canals itch! I'm tired of cold showers, skipping the gym, and I'm getting wacko on the antihistamines so watch out Y'all may see the evil 2BIG floating around if I stay on much longer.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #1191

You still have that damn allergic reaction?! Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. It sounds positively miserable. I hope you can get some relief.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #1192
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
You still have that damn allergic reaction?! Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. It sounds positively miserable. I hope you can get some relief.
yep

this time it is a month of roids but taken every other day with one refill. After the 30 days I'm supposed to stop and see if the spots come back and if they do start the next round.

They wanted to send me to the allergist to test and see if I have a new food allergy to something I have been eating for yrs. Great.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #1193

How are you doing, 2big? Is it any better at all?

I made pumpkin soup today! I used 1/2 cup organic pumpkin, 1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth, 1/2 cup water as the base of it.

First, I sauteed a little finely diced red onion, celery, poblano pepper, and jalapeno pepper in 1/2 Tbsp butter. Then I added 1/2 tsp garam masala spice blend, which I thought would complement the pumpkin nicely. After letting the spices toast a bit, I added the chicken broth and water, and then when that came to a simmer I added the pumpkin.

Once that got going, I added 3 ounces of cauliflower chopped into very tiny pieces, just to bulk it up a bit.

Then at the very end, I stirred in one Tbsp heavy cream, a little kosher salt, and freshly torn cilantro leaves.

Amazingly good! Yay pumpkin!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #1194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Quote:
How are you doing, 2big? Is it any better at all?

I made pumpkin soup today! I used 1/2 cup organic pumpkin, 1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth, 1/2 cup water as the base of it.

First, I sauteed a little finely diced red onion, celery, poblano pepper, and jalapeno pepper in 1/2 Tbsp butter. Then I added 1/2 tsp garam masala spice blend, which I thought would complement the pumpkin nicely. After letting the spices toast a bit, I added the chicken broth and water, and then when that came to a simmer I added the pumpkin.

Once that got going, I added 3 ounces of cauliflower chopped into very tiny pieces, just to bulk it up a bit.

Then at the very end, I stirred in one Tbsp heavy cream, a little kosher salt, and freshly torn cilantro leaves.

Amazingly good! Yay pumpkin!
I must say I am a big soup fan. Was very sad the progresso soups I bought a few years ago were so bland tasteless and unsatisfying. I've been playing with brocolli bases and doing kind of a dump truck (everything in) soup lately. Pumpkin soup is very intriguing. I love pumpkin beer, and pumpkin pie. I'm going to have to steal your receipe Peanutte.
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #1195
Big Yapper!!!!

my body is knowing the roid schedule. I feel best the day after taking them and the itching red areasa actually like like just normal bug bites or scratchs but come the evening of the night before those same normal spots are now ugly red itchy blobs.

I'm peeling from the original spots like a sunburn so between my fingers, the sides of my finger, my palms. abdomen, face, and inside of my forearms look like they were badly sunburned and are peeling. Needless to say I called the doc cause I've never allergy peeled before but they siad to relax and just watch for infection and don't pick it.

I love pumpkin soup. jalapenos in pumpkin what a great idea. wonder if I could make pumpkin jalepeno poppers.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #1196

lancer, 2big had some recipes too that sounded great.

At the ratio I used--only a half cup of pumpkin to one-and-a-half cups of chicken stock and water mixed--I was disappointed that the pumpkin wasn't more obvious, in flavor and texture. I had hoped the soup would be thicker. But it seriously tasted good. I'll keep experimenting!

2big, I am really sorry about all the itching and peeling; it sounds awful.

I think you could totally make pumpkin stuffed jalapenos. I would try mixing softened cream cheese with the pumpkin and adding some spices. You'll probably think I'm crazy, but a pinch of cinnamon--just a slight whiff--would be good; cinnamon and jalapenos go together unexpectedly well. Or just use a little garam masala, which has cloves, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, fennel and other stuff in it. (1 Tbsp has about 5.5 grams of carbs, but you only need about 1/4-1/2 tsp.) And/or a tiny bit of curry, why not.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #1197
Major LCF Poster!

Hi guys, I'm back. I am feeling pretty awful right now for a bunch of reasons - I was doing so well and then went to this training and did horrible. I'm feeling very much like a failure. I'm back on track with protein shakes and chicken today so far, but I'm also dealing with some emotional crap that has shaken me up without an outlet to receive support. Actually, there are several emotional issues going on. Now I'm not feeding these emotions, just feeling very hollow and very lost at the moment, so excuse me if I'm not participating a lot. I'm trying to keep up with the reading though, and am jealous as usual of the recipes

Sorry to be a bummer, hoping to get into a happy headspace again and frustrated that I let things get to me that shouldn't.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #1198

I'm sorry for what you're going through, Dove, but you are not a failure and please don't think that about yourself.

Whatever the emotional stuff is that's bugging you, you can always PM me if you don't want to talk about it publicly. I'm glad to have you back. I hope you feel better soon, mentally and physically.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #1199
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
lancer, 2big had some recipes too that sounded great.

At the ratio I used--only a half cup of pumpkin to one-and-a-half cups of chicken stock and water mixed--I was disappointed that the pumpkin wasn't more obvious, in flavor and texture. I had hoped the soup would be thicker. But it seriously tasted good. I'll keep experimenting!

2big, I am really sorry about all the itching and peeling; it sounds awful.

I think you could totally make pumpkin stuffed jalapenos. I would try mixing softened cream cheese with the pumpkin and adding some spices. You'll probably think I'm crazy, but a pinch of cinnamon--just a slight whiff--would be good; cinnamon and jalapenos go together unexpectedly well. Or just use a little garam masala, which has cloves, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, fennel and other stuff in it. (1 Tbsp has about 5.5 grams of carbs, but you only need about 1/4-1/2 tsp.) And/or a tiny bit of curry, why not.
Peanut I do my soup 1/2 cup pumpkin to 1 cup stock and it is thick.

I make pumpkin butter since induction days of 1 small can pumpkin 1 8 oz block of softened cream cheese and 4T pie spice. just warm the pie spices add the cream cheeses and blend well. then add the canned pumpkin and warm about 1 min in the microwve to allow the spices to infuse the whole thing. stick it in a covered dish in the frige and enjoy it spreads like PB and is good off your fingers as well so no other food needed but goes great on flax hot cakes for breakfast or with a plain OMM.

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm back. I am feeling pretty awful right now for a bunch of reasons - I was doing so well and then went to this training and did horrible. I'm feeling very much like a failure. I'm back on track with protein shakes and chicken today so far, but I'm also dealing with some emotional crap that has shaken me up without an outlet to receive support. Actually, there are several emotional issues going on. Now I'm not feeding these emotions, just feeling very hollow and very lost at the moment, so excuse me if I'm not participating a lot. I'm trying to keep up with the reading though, and am jealous as usual of the recipes

Sorry to be a bummer, hoping to get into a happy headspace again and frustrated that I let things get to me that shouldn't.
welcome back. going through the emotional wringer is something I've been deasling witrh since becoming Mother's caregiver so if you need to vent go for it. if you are worried about somebody who shouldn't see it seeing it here PM any time you need to. other wise have at it. Dealing with emotions and not allowing them to direct a high carb binge by leartning coping mechansims is a very important part of our OWL journeys.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #1200
Major LCF Poster!

I seem to have made it through the day. One thing I'm finding for me personally is that if I DO get "off track" which I've accepted is part of my reality here, it's not hard to get right back on, or at least right back on when I'm in the comfort of my own home. So I've mainly stuck to protein shakes today, will have another for dinner probably, seems to be, for me, the best way to get back on plan and help get rid of the water weight. Also had chicken and 1oz of cheese.

Thanks for the kind words and support, I'm always so grateful to this group in particular. LCF in general but I find such great people sittin' on OWL