Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Thanks 2Big - I think it's just so frustrating to see the scale move daily at first and then stop even though I'm eating all the same things. I really do understand the science behind it, and that it didn't all go on at once - not coming off at once. My emotions tend to override my brain sometimes!!

You all are great and I really appreciate all the support!
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Well, I honest-to-God don't have the energy to be prepping a bunch of veggies or doing my usual kind of cooking today. So I'm just eating whatever sounds remotely appealing.

Breakfast was 2 pieces of pan-fried uncured bacon and 2 over easy eggs

Lunch was a 6 ounce lean burger patty with I shredded Romaine leaf, 2 small slices of ripe tomato and 1 Tbsp mayo

I just don't feel hungry, and I'm not going to fight my body on this. I'll try to have some cauliflower or broccoli with dinner.

The tomato slices were a treat because I haven't had any tomato in over a month! It tasted so good with the mayo on top of my burger.

Last edited by peanutte; 02-16-2009 at 11:36 AM..
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kerbear879
Stats: 341/200.2/160 @ 5'9"
Start Date: 3/23/2005
I would go crazy if I couldn't eat tomato! It's my favorite!
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #94
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
hey peanutte did you know high blood sugar can cause high blood pressure?

maybe controlling your blood sugar is controlling your blood pressure now.
woo hoo for you.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #95

I had some inkling about that, 2big--in so many cases, one's BP gets high for various controllable reasons and can be brought back within a healthy range if one is willing to make some necessary changes.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #96
Big Yapper!!!!

yep did you know if a person is 25 pounds over weight they have 5 extra miles of blood vessels for the heart to pump blood through? that can raise blood pressure too.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #97
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Well, i'm so glad that i found this thread (while i'm not technically doing induction, i intend to officially move my way up the ladder, starting with the firsr rung, next week.) I'm getting close to goal and want to start moving through the stages the right way, so i can maintain! I'm going to be working on my grocery list and menus for the week over the next few days.
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alyc1985
Stats: 238/221/170(stg)/138(ltg)
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: June 20/11 ... on and off
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMama View Post
peanutte -
That's the reason in the past that I have given up during induction - the darn scale stops being my friend. I think that's why this time, I'm just going to keep going even if the scale stops. I'm going to add in the veggies and that's all and just keep going. (I keep telling myself this so I don't change my mind)

that's pretty much been my problem. I first did atkins in 2003, lost some weight, like 15 lbs... went off it in uni, gained back 30.
then went back on in 2004, lost 20.
went off, gained 30. (you can see where this is going!)

each time I'd stay on induction for a long time, reasoning it would help me lose faster. then I'd stall and get frustrated, then just give up. even this past year I was soooo motivated, and lost 30 lbs in 4 months on induction (20 was in the first month) but stalled out at 176 and, after a few months of no loss, gave up again...

for some reason making that step towards veggies was so difficult. someone else posted that they like only eating the same things each day, they like the structure and routine. I do too.

BUT I am also realizing that I lose even MORE with a few more carbs! hallelujah! not only that, but I ate part of an apple the other day and it was delicious (I'm avoiding dairy and nuts, so I'm starting with adding more veggies and tiny amounts of fruit every few days to see how different kinds affect me... I always eat them with fat, though!)
alyc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #99
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyc1985 View Post
that's pretty much been my problem. I first did atkins in 2003, lost some weight, like 15 lbs... went off it in uni, gained back 30.
then went back on in 2004, lost 20.
went off, gained 30. (you can see where this is going!)

each time I'd stay on induction for a long time, reasoning it would help me lose faster. then I'd stall and get frustrated, then just give up. even this past year I was soooo motivated, and lost 30 lbs in 4 months on induction (20 was in the first month) but stalled out at 176 and, after a few months of no loss, gave up again...

for some reason making that step towards veggies was so difficult. someone else posted that they like only eating the same things each day, they like the structure and routine. I do too.

BUT I am also realizing that I lose even MORE with a few more carbs! hallelujah! not only that, but I ate part of an apple the other day and it was delicious (I'm avoiding dairy and nuts, so I'm starting with adding more veggies and tiny amounts of fruit every few days to see how different kinds affect me... I always eat them with fat, though!)
welcome.
did you know that some the vits and minerals in veggies, fresh dairy nuts.seeds and berries can actually help our metabolism and when we restrict our cals and carbs too low our metabolism will slow down too? Getting replacements for those needed chemicals should help keep your inches shrinking doing OWL.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #100

I'm not in the greatest frame of mind this morning. I weighed myself a little ahead of schedule and of course I'm still 175.2. You know, just... what-the-freak-ever. I am not going to weigh again till Feb. 27th, a week from Friday. I'm getting plenty of protein but not excessive amounts, my fat/protein/carb ratios are right where I want them--70-75/ 20-25 /5--and my calories are between 1200 and 1900 depending on the day, usually more in the 12-14 range. I drink enough water. I have cut my carbs back for a few days because I'd felt my body slipping out of ketosis last week. But I'm honestly sick of nit-picking everything to death and I'm just plain discouraged.

I'm not giving up, I'm just freakin' frustrated. I suppose we all have those days.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

I understand Peanutte. I keep hovering around 188 and 191. And it just goes up and down and up and down. It's getting me a little frustrated because I haven't been doing this that long yet but I just keep telling myself to just perserve through it and not worry about it just yet. Still it's so sticking frustrating to not see the scale moving down. I don't think my clothes are really feeling looser either. *sigh*
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #102

It's times like these where we have to ask ourselves if we are really willing to do this as a beneficial way of eating and not JUST as a weight-loss tool. But you're right, we just have to stick with it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

peanutte and kerbear - sounds like we are all in the same boat. I am talking myself through this everyday, no change in the scale since I dropped all the "water weight" in week one. Day by day... I just keep seeing get through the day and see how you feel in the morning and re-evaluate then. It's so hard. I don't know if I could live with this WOE forever -especially if I am not going to see any weight loss. I just keep reading the success stories and looking at everyone's numbers and trying to pull motivation from that.

The thing that bothers me sometimes is I see people here that had great success but then fell of the wagon - gained a lot back and are "starting over." I guess if people are really committed to this WOE as they say they are, then what is with all of the starting over? It makes me question this for the long haul.

**my comments are not meant as any attack on anyone for starting over - I am just trying to find answers and motivation for myself to stick with this**
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

BTW - I have been measuring with no change there either. No change in the way my pants fit either.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #105
Big Yapper!!!!

you know it will pass

Hey if it would help I could tell y'all about my first stall at 63pounds lost that lasted for 2.5 months and all the crazy changes folk who were supposed to be experienced successfull Atkinseers told me to make?

How about the 9 weeks stuck right at 200 pounds waiting to enter 100erland and knowing I was doing everything by the book perfect but no scale moving?

How 13 week stall and how insane I was by week 12 that somebody on an Atkins board convinced me I was over exercising and should be a slug for a week to see if the scales or inches would move and the slug diet was born with great recipes for bbqed slugs?

No sclae weight loss will happen to everybody and is a normal natural part of morphing our bodies to the healtheir smaller person we want to be.

Peanutte you just changed your sodium intake which is a huge adjustment for your body to correct for. Lower sodium levles means those chemicals that were being released to assist you in excreting the excess fluids those sodium molecules were causing you to hold are niot being generated. When you have been getting them at a steady state it takes the body a while to realize hey we need to excrete this fluid even without that chemical signal and in the mean time your body is holding some fluid pounds. Since the scale didn't go up you know you have shed some body fat pounds.

Then you changed your carb intake too and that needs some adjusting too.

this is why I tell folk the most important thing to do when figuring out something about their body and foods is make one change and only one change at a time. Try it out and see if it helps you or harms you be patient and allow it time to revele its results. If it harms you or you don't like the change it causes then put it back the way it was and try a different change till you find the one that works for you.
I know you have seen inductees complain they didn't ;ose any weight that week and folk swoop in like vultures after road kill cut the cheeses, up the fats, cut out deli meats, eat less salt, skip the cream, eat more, eat less, increase your veggies lower your carbs, stop exercising, workout more, lift light weights, lift heavy weights, more cardio, less cardio, etc,. If the poor person did all that they would never know what if anything was stopping their progress. I can't tell you how many folk who are low level hypothyroid fit that bill when the only fix they need is going to see their doc for treatment of the thyroid hormone imblanace and their Atkins will work again just as it did before. And no other change will make it work. That is why reading chapter 15 of your DANDR 2002 is so important. Dr Atkins walks you through things that could be occurring with your eating and exercise and rules them out and then sends you to see if it is a medical reason before he takes any drastic steps.

Hang in there. remember 4 whole weeks before you are stalled. this is just a slight hesitation in the movement of your scale numbers. Also one pound lost now is 3.9% of your need to lose pounds where as when you started one pound was only 1.6% so the value of each pound shed is 2.43 times as great as before and will become even bigger% as you get closer to goal.

Last edited by 2big4mysize; 02-18-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #106

2big, you are so awesome--your posts always, always help me find the perspective I need! I truly appreciate it.

Quote:
Hey if it would help I could tell y'all about my first stall at 63pounds lost that lasted for 2.5 months and all the crazy changes folk who were supposed to be experienced successfull Atkinseers told me to make?

How about the 9 weeks stuck right at 200 pounds waiting to enter 100erland and knowing I was doing everything by the book perfect but no scale moving?

How 13 week stall and how insane I was by week 12 that somebody on an Atkins board convinced me I was over exercising and should be a slug for a week to see if the scales or inches would move and the slug diet was born with great recipes for bbqed slugs?
OMG! What a bunch of things to go through, and yet you held tight to your beliefs and stuck with it.

Really, you are right--it's embarrassing to admit how I do retain some of that Magical Thinking that I'm going to lose weight every week and keep on losing at the rate of my initial loss on Induction. That's just not going to happen.

I think it's interesting that my body seems to have "parked itself" at 175.2, a weight I have not seen since 2005, and it seems to be "getting used to" this weight, if that makes sense at all. Hey, I enjoyed the rapid drop from 188 to 178 in three weeks' time, but let's be realistic, that rate of loss was the aberration and this slower rate is what's going to keep it off in the long run.

I've adjusted my expectations accordingly; when I re-started at the beginning of January I thought I could lose 40 pounds by the end of May. I thought 8 pounds a month was probably do-able--and maybe it would be if I exercised like a fiend, who knows?--but I've revised my goals to reflect a 2-pounds-a-month loss for now, so I only really hope to lose 8 pounds by the end of May/early June. Do I wish I could lose more? Well, sure! But it's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Chase, this is an important issue to address:

Quote:
The thing that bothers me sometimes is I see people here that had great success but then fell of the wagon - gained a lot back and are "starting over." I guess if people are really committed to this WOE as they say they are, then what is with all of the starting over? It makes me question this for the long haul.
It's hard for me to know how to be tactful about this issue because I don't want to denigrate anybody's efforts and we all make mistakes...but I feel like the on-again/off-again/on-again people are: A) viewing it as a diet and wanting to lose weight quickly for some specific goal like a high school reunion or an upcoming cruise, B) more seriously addicted to carbohydrates than some of us and more likely to have overwhelming cravings and then give in to them; C) disorganized and unprepared, too much in a hurry to re-introduce carbs (skipping rungs and not following the recommended steps), not well informed and looking for shortcuts (even though they may have good intentions); D) not really ready or willing to look at this as a lifestyle change; or E) all of the above.

I'm no better than anybody else--or I wouldn't have had to come back to this WOE several years later. But I honestly try to learn from my previous mistakes because I can't afford to flail in all directions and not commit to something wholeheartedly. I just can't do that anymore; it's not good for me.

But Chase, you have to read these boards with an internal sieve in place; let the stuff that isn't helpful fall away and keep the stuff that's truly informative, encouraging and inspiring. I think you will find a handful or recurring names of posters who have kept the weight off and know what they're talking about. That has been my experience! And it's vastly more important than reading all the gazillion threads where everybody suggests dozens of different ways to do this or that better or differently. I always come back to the book if I get confused by all the voices on the boards.

Last edited by peanutte; 02-18-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #107
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
2big, you are so awesome--your posts always, always help me find the perspective I need! I truly appreciate it.

OMG! What a bunch of things to go through, and yet you held tight to your beliefs and stuck with it.

Really, you are right--it's embarrassing to admit how I do retain some of that Magical Thinking that I'm going to lose weight every week and keep on losing at the rate of my initial loss on Induction. That's just not going to happen.

I think it's interesting that my body seems to have "parked itself" at 175.2, a weight I have not seen since 2005, and it seems to be "getting used to" this weight, if that makes sense at all. Hey, I enjoyed the rapid drop from 188 to 178 in three weeks' time, but let's be realistic, that rate of loss was the aberration and this slower rate is what's going to keep it off in the long run.

I've adjusted my expectations accordingly; when I re-started at the beginning of January I thought I could lose 40 pounds by the end of May. I thought 8 pounds a month was probably do-able--and maybe it would be if I exercised like a fiend, who knows?--but I've revised my goals to reflect a 2-pounds-a-month loss for now, so I only really hope to lose 8 pounds by the end of May/early June. Do I wish I could lose more? Well, sure! But it's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Chase, this is an important issue to address:

It's hard for me to know how to be tactful about this issue because I don't want to denigrate anybody's efforts and we all make mistakes...but I feel like the on-again/off-again/on-again people are: A) viewing it as a diet and wanting to lose weight quickly for some specific goal like a high school reunion or an upcoming cruise, B) more seriously addicted to carbohydrates than some of us and more likely to have overwhelming cravings and then give in to them; C) disorganized and unprepared, too much in a hurry to re-introduce carbs (skipping rungs and not following the recommended steps), not well informed and looking for shortcuts (even though they may have good intentions); D) not really ready or willing to look at this as a lifestyle change; or E) all of the above.

I'm no better than anybody else--or I wouldn't have had to come back to this WOE several years later. But I honestly try to learn from my previous mistakes because I can't afford to flail in all directions and not commit to something wholeheartedly. I just can't do that anymore; it's not good for me.

But Chase, you have to read these boards with an internal sieve in place; let the stuff that isn't helpful fall away and keep the stuff that's truly informative, encouraging and inspiring. I think you will find a handful or recurring names of posters who have kept the weight off and know what they're talking about. That has been my experience! And it's vastly more important than reading all the gazillion threads where everybody suggests dozens of different ways to do this or that better or differently. I always come back to the book if I get confused by all the voices on the boards.
woo hoo glad you are getting that realist attitude going. you should have seen me chaing that final 10 pounds thinking I was still obeses and dang I lost 136 pounds already and this 10 pounds should come of faster then this (took about 9 months of morphing adding lean tissues and removing body fat)and I had the slowest eye opening experience getting my fat goggles removed from my face and realizing that skinny person wearing my hat in the Mall I see in the store window reflection is me!

ChaseMama if you check out those folks posts you will see in their minds Atkins was for weight loss and only weight loss and when they became goalies they returned to theri old eating habits and lack of exercise habits and poof pounds back on. That attitude is what keeps slimfast in business. folk lose on the plan and then return to eating the way that got them fat so BAM they need slimfast weight loss again and a gain.

if you look at the actual goalies who stay goalies (we don't ususally post hey I'm a stuck at goal person ) they are the ones who embraced the plan and the phases and worked their atkins and continued to eat low carb as a goalie. I have never seen a single person post HEY I gained it back eating maintnenance low carb and am going back to induction.

There are also folk who are certain they know better then Dr Atkins how to do his plan so they cheat from day one, drop some weight and then eventually quit doing Atkins cause their cheating ways didn't keep hunger away and keep body fat burning. then they regain and think hey I can drop this weight doing Atkins again and they become like those slimfast folk yo-yo dieters for life.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Peanutte and 2big - thanks for the replies! I really appreciate a "glance into the minds" of the people behind this WOE. Again, I hope nobody takes my comments as a dig. I'm really just trying to understand.

peanutte - I totally get what you said about the familiar weight. I was at 172-174 for about a whole year. I got up to 181 and have gotten back down to 172-173 and I'm thinking that same thing - this weight was familiar to my body for an entire year and now it is sticking with what it knows - so to speak!

Did anyone read my post about being stinky? hahaha I think people are too scared to comment! teeheeeheee
Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #109

I'll have to go take a look at that..."Stinky"!

Chase, at my heaviest I was 212 but then I lost a good bunch of that and hovered between 186-188-ish for many months--causing me to suspect that my body was "parked" there because it wasn't interested in moving on. So this "new" weight really is a lower weight than I've had in some time and until it's been over four weeks of the same weight, I am vowing to not freak out. (I'll try not to freak out at the four week point too, should that happen!)
Old 02-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

You guys are great! It's helping to read all of your comments. Even if I don't lose another pound, I'm not going to change my WOE and here's why...I had weight loss surgery 4 years ago (march 23, 2005). I went from 341 to 178. I maintained pretty much at right around 185. I crept back up to 198 from about august to december of last year but it was because I stopped eating like they told me to. I was never eating a lot of carbs..but I was eating low fat. And what really irked me was that I felt like I couldn't eat a lot of foods I liked because they were higher in fat. The nutrionist I went to stressed that I would not be able to eat high fat foods after having weight loss surgery. I also in all that time would feel nauseated a lot after eating something or would have terrible gas or pains in my stomach. So when I decided to just drop the low fat thing and go ahead and do atkins at the end of January, you wouldn't believe how much better things have been. I no longer get nauseated after eating, my pains in my stomach and the gas has gone away completely. I'm not even tired anymore. And I love all the food I get to eat now. So like I said, I definitely can see me just sticking with this WOE from now on because I really do like it. It isn't just a diet for me.

As for what you guys said about being at a weight your body is used to, I think that's really what's happening to me too. I maintained for 3 years at right around the weight I am now. I think I will break through it though. I see so many people who stuck it out for months and saw the weight drop (just like you 2bigformysize).

I think I also have an obession with my scale. I was like this too when I was losing weight after surgery. I weighed every day and then when I got down to around 180, I noticed I just kinda stopped weighing. I still weighed in once awhile just to make sure I wasn't gaining or anything but I noticed I stopped obsessing. Now it seems I am obsessing again. It's probably because I really do want to get this weight off.

Anyways, sorry to ramble on and on..
Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Soul Sisters! Yippee! I'm feeling happier this morning. I was a solid 172 this morning which feels like a little victory for me. Also, I put on a pair of 14 pants and they were so loose I couldn't even wear them. I am short, so finding pants that are my size with a "petite" rise is difficult. Every pair is always long at the ankles and long in the "crotch." I laugh when I shop at the petite store - seems like an oxymoron to buy size 14 Petite pants.

So, I guess it's these little victories that keep us going one more day. Just like when I golf. I hit 50 bad shots, but then one perfect shot and that's all it takes to make me want to go back again.

Ironically, the only thing I have been doing different the last few days is eating more - bigger breakfast with more fat - baked egg muffins with egg, sausage, cheese and butter. Eat fat - lose weight... I like it!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

kerbear - I forgot to say congrats on your initial weight loss. That's a huge victory, especially to keep it off for so long!

I am also very obsessed with the scale. I know all of the reasons not to be, but I still am!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #113

kerbear, what an interesting take on the post-bariatric surgery experience. Was it gastric bypass, the lap band, or what, exactly? I wonder if the doctors advise shying away from higher-fat food because of some connection between your greatly reduced stomach size, and the liver/pancreas/fat processing systems of the body? Hmmm...I'm glad you are finding that you're able to avoid nausea and discomfort. I've heard quite a lot about "dumping syndrome" in post-surgery patients and it sounds really awful. Thanks for sharing your story!

Chase, congrats on your progress! That's great!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #114
Big Yapper!!!!

they tell them to go low fat cause they need them to eat their proteins and the small size of the stomach doesn't provide room for a lot of things to be in there. Also the body has sensors in the begining part of the small intestine that senses when fats are in the food coming though and signals close it up we need some time to process this stuff.
If that part of intestines were bypassed as part of weight loss surgery then the sensor isn't there and high fat food can causes diarrehea.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #115

Right--that's pretty much what I've heard called "dumping syndrome". The food passes through too quickly and cannot be digested, so it's released immediately from one end or the other. Not fun!

The strange thing is, if you have very little stomach space, it seems like more calorically dense foods would be desirable. An egg, for example, has fat and protein and calories packed into a small size. Or, an avocado has a lot of potassium and healthy fats in a small amount of volume. A small 3-ounce piece of meat might have a lot of the B vitamins and iron you need. I guess my point is, let's say you can really only manage at first to eat about 800-1000 calories a day with the tiny stomach pouch. Every one of those calories had better pack a nutritional punch, I would think! Seems like there would be no point in wasting valuable stomach space and calories on carbs that don't have much going for them.

I realize the point of bariatric surgery is to induce significant weight loss, but you wouldn't want a person to be malnourished in the process, would you? It's a funny thing--here in the U.S., we have plenty of overweight, fat, and obese people, yet a lot of people have nutritional deficiencies. You can eat a lot of food and be fat, and still be malnourished, though that sounds contradictory.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Yep exactly right 2big..

I had gastric bypass and dumping syndrome is horrible! I still get that if I eat anything really sugary (ice cream was the biggest and it doesn't even appeal to me at all anymore) but since I rarely eat anything with sugar in it anymore, I've been lucky to not have dumping syndrome in quite awhile.

Luckily for me I can eat fat, just not greasy foods (like french fries..blech..i would feel miserable for hours if i ate those!). Chicken for some reason bothers me a lot, but I think it's because it's drier than other foods. Protein is definitely stressed at the beginning right after surgery. I never really had a problem getting the protein down and I never did protein shakes because I thought they were not very good. I did drink a lot of lattes back then though. I still drink my coffee but with half and half now.

Anyways, I guess I can consider myself lucky because they do consider my surgery a success since I did lose 85% of the excess weight. I never quite got to goal but I think I will eventually. I also didn't really have any problems with my surgery. My blood work comes back pretty normal (I do take a ton of vitamins though) and other than the nausea problems I was having, I do feel pretty good. My surgeon always though that the nausea came from an ulcer and I was on ulcer meds for awhile. I guess I don't mention often that I had WLS because not a lot of people understand. My boyfriend's family still doesn't know..they just think I am not a big eater since I don't eat huge meals!

Chase-- YAY! That's always a great feeling to see the scale numbers go down and the clothes to fit better! Woohoo! Keep it up!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Right--that's pretty much what I've heard called "dumping syndrome". The food passes through too quickly and cannot be digested, so it's released immediately from one end or the other. Not fun!

The strange thing is, if you have very little stomach space, it seems like more calorically dense foods would be desirable. An egg, for example, has fat and protein and calories packed into a small size. Or, an avocado has a lot of potassium and healthy fats in a small amount of volume. A small 3-ounce piece of meat might have a lot of the B vitamins and iron you need. I guess my point is, let's say you can really only manage at first to eat about 800-1000 calories a day with the tiny stomach pouch. Every one of those calories had better pack a nutritional punch, I would think! Seems like there would be no point in wasting valuable stomach space and calories on carbs that don't have much going for them.

I realize the point of bariatric surgery is to induce significant weight loss, but you wouldn't want a person to be malnourished in the process, would you? It's a funny thing--here in the U.S., we have plenty of overweight, fat, and obese people, yet a lot of people have nutritional deficiencies. You can eat a lot of food and be fat, and still be malnourished, though that sounds contradictory.

You are exactly right! Right after surgery, I ate on average probably 500 to 600 calories a day because it was literally all I could get down. I remembering drinking a latte from starbucks almost every day for breakfast, and then maybe a little scrambled egg for lunch, and a small piece of meat for dinner and a little bit of veggies too. And I was stuffed! In the process you do get somewhat malnourished especially since with gastric bypass you also malabsorb calories and nutrients. This is why they make you take tons of vitamins and I pretty much will be taking those forever. The little stomach pouch does stretch out some over time. I can eat more normal sized meals now but again depends what I am eating. If I eat steak, is usually only 3 to 4 ounces at a time and I can't eat anything else with it because it makes me really full. But give me a salad, and I can eat a big big bowl of that.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #118

Well, how exciting that you were able to successfully lose 85% of your extra weight--never mind that last little bit of weight to get to your goal--I'm sure if you are patient, you'll get there! Again, thanks for the interesting first-hand information. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I have a hunch that younger patients might have an easier time with it since their metabolism isn't slowed down as much from age, and they haven't had as many years of carrying the weight. There's a middle aged man on The Biggest Loser right now who had gastric bypass some years ago and has gained it all back. I feel bad for him--he's got a tough road ahead of him because due to his age and all the stress on his joints over the years, his knees are shot and it's hard for him to exercise. I think people need to be educated about the fact that surgery isn't a guarantee, nor is it an easy fix--you are altering your body FOR LIFE and your eating habits MUST change in accordance with that or it will be all for naught.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Yep I definitely agree. I would never want to gain that weight back which is exactly why when I saw the weight creep up some, I immediately did something about it! My mom had a friend who had the surgery as well and although she was older, I think she tried to eat around the surgery and ended up not losing any weight at all. It's really only a tool to help you and it's up to you with what you do with that tool. I pretty much followed everything by the book because I didn't want to put myself through all of that and then not succeed. Plus I had a lot of people who didn't think I could lose the weight. Proving them wrong was actually rather satisfying..lol

I'm 29. So I was 25 at the time I had the surgery. I try to walk at least 5 miles every day to get some form of exercise (and to keep my metabolism still up there somewhat)
Old 02-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Friends! Happy Friday to all!

Exercise. I have a love/hate relationship for sure.

What about you all?

I have been getting to short walks 15-20 min daily with my dog. Last night I did some weight training and I really want to start upping the exercise. That always stalls my scale out so I need to be sure and measure instead.

Any exciting plans for the weekend?