Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #1111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BellaHMB
Stats: 210/167/150 goal met 5.27.07
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 1-16-07
Good morning.

Well today starts week 2 of refocusing to lose 8 lbs above my lowest goal of 140 and Im down a couple. I have to remember that it takes time to lose when you are not far from your goal weight, and since I didn't go back to induction I can't expect induction level results! So, I am going to keep on going, keeping track of my food and being patient!

On the positive side, yesterday I went shopping and ladies let me tell you what you have to look forward to! When I was at my heaviest I was in 2X sizes (that was in 1996 and I was 230) and yesterday I stopped by J Jill (so comfortable!) and bought a shirt and skirt, both mediums, and a kimono sweater, small. (it was quite oversized). I also bought a pair of expensive Eileen Fisher crepe pants which are for work, medium. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to not only be able to fit into regular clothes (one of the BEST perks for me after losing), but to be fine if it is a small/med/large knowing that sizing is really goofy nowadays. I felt inspired to keep going on my plan!

Have a great day,
Bella
BellaHMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #1112
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
you can move as fast or as slow as you want. just remember if you do go fast when you have a new to your food even if you have already conquered that rung you still have to only have it no more then 3 times the first week you introduce it so you can see if you have any issues with it in a controlled manner.

if nuts are an issue try using ground nuts as a flour sub or breading so you can get all the good for us nutrients from them too. They are loaded with antioxidents healthy Omega olis and vits and minerals. Dr Atkins says they are the first food he recommends after 14 day induction.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #1113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good reminders about the food intro- thanks!

Bella
Old 08-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #1114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I have made shepherd's pie with ground beef, tomato sauce, green beans and onions for the "filling" of it, and then a layer of cheesy mashed cauliflower on top.
This just became dinner tonight. Sounds soooo good, thank you for the idea!
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #1115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Alright. This no veggie thing is for the birds. Cabbage, onions and canned tomatoes is all we've got in the non starchy veggie department.

I re-Inducted for a week, lost some weight and got the scale moving, and I want to move up in the world to 25g. Problem is, I'm not even getting the normal amount of veggies for Induction levels, it will be impossible to add 5g of veggie carbs. No berries or melons either. No nuts but peanuts.

Do I skip to yogurt and then hang there for a while? I did put some PB in my protein shake this morning - 3g net carbs for 1T and it was after the gym, I generally believe post workout a slightly higher carb meal is ok.

Suggestions on climbing?
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #1116
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Poor Dove...I am visiting the boyfriend's family in a small town in Kansas right now and although I have some lunch meat and cheese in my fridge, and a container of nuts, I am missing my loads of fresh veggies after only 2 days! So it gives me a little more visceral appreciation for your veggie deprivation. If we go out to a restaurant tonight I am ordering a salad and double veg if I can.

I think yogurt seems to have been a pretty safe food for you, hasn't it? I think yogurt tends to have a positive effect upon my own system, so I would probably go with that rather than a lot of nuts.

Quote:
you can move as fast or as slow as you want. just remember if you do go fast when you have a new to your food even if you have already conquered that rung you still have to only have it no more then 3 times the first week you introduce it so you can see if you have any issues with it in a controlled manner.
Yep, I agree with 2big, mizski. This is one of the cool things about OWL. There is a plan in place but we can adjust it to meet our needs and preferences. I hardly ever eat nuts, so I spent very little time on that rung.

Bella, sounds like you are doing great! Did you know that J Jill is closing their stores, so you should look at their online inventory because they have some SERIOUS clearance sales going on. They do make nice stuff.

Rachel, glad you enjoyed your shepherd's pie.

It's nice to see more people participating in this thread!

Last edited by peanutte; 08-24-2009 at 04:34 AM..
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #1117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 209/202/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 3/14/11
Don't mention clearance sales, I'm a sucker for clearance sales.

How did it get to be Monday again? Unfortunately, my boss managed to infect me last week with his cold. The only good thing is I have it now as I go on vacation in three weeks. I'm doing my best not to give it to DH or DS.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #1118

Quote:
How did it get to be Monday again?
More to the point: when is it going to be Wednesday again? (I get home from traveling on Wednesday.)
Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #1119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No! I found a great store J Jill and they are closing? Man oh man! Glad I bought a few things!

Starting day 9 today.

Bella
Old 08-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #1120
Big Yapper!!!!

oh Dove I feel for you.
close your eyes and don't read this
I took Mother to the farmers market Saturday after doing some yard work and I thought all they would have left was plants and tomatoes since they were closing in 1/2 hour.
Well they had maters tons of the ones I love, they had the exotic eggplants I love, they had 5 different kinds of green beans, small personel watermellons, okra, summer squashes, and I was in hog heaven with all the different varieties of hot peppers.
I feel like I've been eating OWL since we got home with tons of veggies every meal and only a bit of upper rungs.
I never knew what variety UGLIES was but it turns out those are the not perfectly round tomotoes and since they were 1/2 price and the type I love I got them. I have been having naked tomato sandwiches as snacksthat only a southerner could appreiciate. mayo salt and pepper but no bread. yum yum.
they had green ones too and I saw on Victory garden Saturday when we got home a recipe for making roasted green maters with grilled feta soooooooooooooooo yum yum. but I did skip the orzo part.

okay Dovelette you can read again
I've been thiunking about your no dirt and no veggies.
they make peat pots that are compressed pellets and if I used them as the filler in the next package and included seeds you would have dirt and seeds to grow your own lettuce and leaf greens in. You could do it hydroponically and plant other veggie seeds too as long as somebody sent you some balanced fertilizer (not miracle grow as that would make lots of stems and not much veggies nor fruits) Then you could make a Peace corp garden and your replacements and their replacements could keep it going forever having healthy veggies and maybe start a community garden for the folk you serve too.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #1121
Major LCF Poster!

**crying softly**
Old 08-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #1122
Big Yapper!!!!

I told you not to read that part!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #1123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 209/202/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 3/14/11
I went to the Farmer's Market Saturday and bought all sorts of lovely vegetables. They had yellow heirloom cherry tomatoes. I feel bad for Dovelette. Cabbage is a perfectly fine vegetable, but not every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Mrs. Bucket: Oh well, nothing goes better with cabbage than cabbage.
For some reason I remember that from the movie. lol
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #1124
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I suppose I don't feel *TOO* bad, since I had blackened Amberjack for dinner, which only cost about $1.60 a lb lol. That's how much fresh tuna is too, and when I say fresh, I mean caught just a couple hours before. So there are SOME benefits to living on an island!!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #1125

Quote:
I have been having naked tomato sandwiches as snacksthat only a southerner could appreiciate. mayo salt and pepper but no bread. yum yum.
I am no southerner but I would be down with that in a hot second. I love tomatoes with salt and pepper and a dab of good mayo.

It's been emotionally challenging, being here with my boyfriend's family. I like them, but three out of four of them are massively obese and their eating habits are sad. I just do my thing and eat the food I bought at Walmart and try not to draw attention to myself, but it still feels awkward when I am having a couple of turkey roll-ups and a half ounce of nuts and they are having enormous bowls of cake and ice cream and are so, so inert. Ugh.
And when we went out for Mexican and I didn't eat the chips, or my refried beans and rice, I got some clucks and comments. Whatever. So depressing.

This is just way harder than being around my own family because I can feel free to tell anyone in my family to take a hike if they are weird to me. (But they aren't weird to me--my family members are really supportive of my Atkins.)

Last edited by peanutte; 08-25-2009 at 06:05 AM..
Old 08-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #1126
Major LCF Poster!

I HOPE you don't mean it's depressing because you can't join them - but of course that's not what you mean It IS depressing to watch friends, family, loved ones harm themselves; I think it's more depressing, like you said too, to have them be so critical of you, especially when you compare yourself to them physically and health wise. And I know how hard it is to deal with "in laws" and the like, though I've been fairly lucky with mine as their daughter went through various diets in her life (like low fat, vegetarian etc, but still they were willing to accommodate her and thus accommodate me as well). Do you like to cook? If so maybe you could cook them a delicious low carb meal, one that's so much better than waht they are eating that maybe it will at least help them see that what you're eating isn't deprivation?

I think what it is really though...when people see you as a success, they try to accentuate what they see as the negative. "Yeah, peanutte looks great, but c'mon she won't even have a CHIP! Who wants to live like THAT!?" I don't even think they BELIEVE that, but more that it's a justification so they don't feel as bad about themselves on the surface as they probably do inside.

So how much longer is your suffering???
Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #1127

Oh, I didn't mean to give the impression that they are hassling me--they aren't doing that; it's more that they regard my food with a little baffled concern, if that makes sense. His mom whispered to my boyfriend that he needs to keep an eye on me so I don't become anorexic. HELLO! I'm still technically overweight for my height--no danger of starvation over here! It's all just foreign to them, and you hit the nail on the head with this:

Quote:
I think what it is really though...when people see you as a success, they try to accentuate what they see as the negative. "Yeah, peanutte looks great, but c'mon she won't even have a CHIP! Who wants to live like THAT!?"
Yeah, and it's depressing because I care about these people, so obviously it is fraught with mixed feelings.

Quote:
I HOPE you don't mean it's depressing because you can't join them - but of course that's not what you mean
I feel a little Houston Heather-ish in saying this (not that that's in any way a bad thing--I love her!), but I have never found the sight of a big heaping bowl of cake and ice cream to be so thoroughly unappetizing as to watch it being eaten by people whose mobility is severely hampered by their weight. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but in a very sad way.

Last edited by peanutte; 08-25-2009 at 07:52 AM..
Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #1128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's often hard to eat with other people, esp. family members who say things like "you don't eat fruit??" !! I have learned to just say Im on a restricted diet and leave it at that, otherwise I get too many opinions about what I should be eating

Im on day 10 here, down about 3 lbs. Guess it's better than up!

Bella
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #1129
Big Yapper!!!!

I know it is a little late now but next time you visit maybe you could give them a heads up on your Atkins eating and what you do eat before you come so they can learn a little bit about it as you shrink and get healthy.
Telling my sister I eat Atkins induction when I started allowed them to look on line and explain to my nephew why his aunt was not eating certain stuff and as I have already told y'all I felt so loved when that little boy announced he was going to have to eat my fries for me because I was not allowed to have them. Of course a yr later he some how missed the message about I was in OWl and shockingly looked at me and announce you can't eat that when I ate some winter squash at Christmas that yr. We had a discussion about moving to different phases and how I could add more healthy veggies and fruits along with unsugared nuts and seeds too. Now 4 1/2 yrs later he just asks can you have this when he is planning our picnic outings. I still have issues with some relatives but even my grandparents had food issues with them so I know it is them not me.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #1130

2big, the basics of it have been explained to them but I just don't think it really registers in their brains, and that's okay...I will answer questions if they ask, but I'm not bringing it up. My own family does know more about it, though.

Quote:
as I have already told y'all I felt so loved when that little boy announced he was going to have to eat my fries for me because I was not allowed to have them. Of course a yr later he some how missed the message about I was in OWl and shockingly looked at me and announce you can't eat that when I ate some winter squash at Christmas that yr.
This just goes to show how different people can be from each other and what different reactions we can have...I think that for you, these stories convey the love and support you feel from your family, but for me, I'd be SO irritated if anyone tried to tell me what I was "allowed" or "not allowed" to eat!

Bella, congrats on your nine days and three pounds so far!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:24 AM   #1131

Yay, I get to head home later today!

Yesterday was good, though. We had a recognition tea to attend for his mom, who has been at her job for 21 years, and I was happy to be there for that. Then we went out to a place where I got salad, a small steak and green beans--perfect. My leftover steak will be breakfast today.

In a way I am appreciative of obstacles like the ones I have been up against on this visit, because they help me place a higher value on my way of eating. Unless you're planning to live our life in a plastic bubble, you're going to have to deal with family situations and social situations at some points in life--so you may as well figure out how to navigate them and stay on track!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #1132
Big Yapper!!!!

yep Peanut, it was the way he announced he was saving me from those evil fries the catch it and eat it fish restaurant serves on every plate no substitutions by forcing himself to eat them for me. And when At the church functions when folk tell the sever I can't have something cause it isn't on my diet when they offer it up to me I can either be embarrassed, annoyed, or take it in the spirit they intended it as a show of love and support for my new eating. I decided after the second time it happened I'd just enjoy the love and support.

A warning to all who ever think about buying an expensive supplement brand cause it is on sale instead of their usual one. read the fine print. I'm dealing with a systemic allergic reaction and knowing how sever the symptoms are right now it is going to last much longer then the last one did. They showed no soy by name in the ingredients but way down in the allergens it does. Not a happy camper right now.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #1133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: little3chordme
Stats: 268/155 5'7.5"
Start Date: October 15, 2008
oh no 2big! i'm sorry, that's terrible and infuriating!

i'm glad you get to head home peanutte! but the trip sounds like a success.

i'm trying to get into an exercise schedule i can manage. it seems i get too zealous and then overwhelmed. i'm still loving the 30 day shred, but i'm going to write down specific distances to run (rather than push myself to do more everytime). yesterday was 2 miles, tomorrow will be 2.5. then i have a wedding to attend saturday! a high school friend who i haven't seen in years, she dated her fiance then, so i know him... but they broke up and got back together later in college. i'm glad that another mutual friend is going, so at least i'll have a buddy to chat with.

my weight has continued to fluctuate between 157 and 158, and i'm fine with that.

i bought a new scale that measures body fat, hydration and bone mass! i don't really expect those to be too accurate, but any downward trend in the body fat will be nice to see.

do any of you count and/or watch calories? i have been watching them, but idk if i'm being too anal about it... just another thing to consider figuring out this whole pre-maintenance thing. and when you have more carbs, do you have to conciously lower the fat intake or will it lower naturally with the food choices?

Check out my blog!
little3chordme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #1134

Quote:
when folk tell the sever I can't have something cause it isn't on my diet when they offer it up to me I can either be embarrassed, annoyed, or take it in the spirit they intended it as a show of love and support for my new eating. I decided after the second time it happened I'd just enjoy the love and support.
I think that is a really wonderful attitude, 2big. I'm sorry to hear about your allergic reaction! That's awful, and I hope you feel better soon.

So after subsisting mostly on deli meat, cheese and nuts while visiting my boyfriend's family (of course I could have steak or a burger if we went out to eat), I was dying to get back to my usual routine at home. I don't normally eat deli meat OR much cheese and I was craving chicken, broccoli, salads (I did have those at restaurants as well)...let's just say I love the way I usually eat and was looking forward to getting back to it.

No such luck. When we got home, our fridge had died. Everything is ruined and we will have to throw it out and get a new fridge.

But did I entertain the thought of going off-plan? NO. I looked in the pantry cupboard to see what we had. I don't eat canned vegetables, and the only things of mine that we have in the pantry are Wasa crackers and a few cans of tuna and beans. The rest of the stuff is carby. But no way was I going to use this as an excuse to give up or eat things I wouldn't normally eat.

We went out to a late-night grocery store (mind you, this was all taking place at ten p.m. after a long, tiring day of travel) and got a few bags of ice for the big cooler, and a few things like eggs and Babybel cheese (the ones in the little wax rounds) and some celery and a few avocados and some Farmland pre-cooked bacon. We can get more stuff today after we buy a small dorm-room type fridge to tide us over.

Oh, and it just occurred to me that I do have some zucchini that doesn't need refrigeration. Cool.

I should post this in the Lobby. I know a lot of people would have responded to the situation by wholeheartedly abandoning their Atkins, but you don't have to cheat. No matter what happens, you have the option to be in control of what you eat if it's important enough to you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go boil a bunch of eggs.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #1135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaHMB View Post
It's often hard to eat with other people, esp. family members who say things like "you don't eat fruit??" !! I have learned to just say Im on a restricted diet and leave it at that, otherwise I get too many opinions about what I should be eating

Im on day 10 here, down about 3 lbs. Guess it's better than up!

Bella
Hi Bella! I am down 2 pounds. You know I am trying to take off 10 that I gained since the beginning of the year (vacation actually accounted for 4 uggggghhhh). It is much harder this time. It isn't the diet but it is just more difficult to adhere. It will all be worth it when I am back to goal.

I totally agree that it is very rewarding to shop. I started this at a size tight 16 so I really appreciate the size that I am now even with a few pounds dangling around! Are all J.Jill's closing? I like that store.

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #1136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Im on day 12 and feeling pretty good although I do have a hard time settling down at night- you too?

Bella
Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #1137

Hi, Homestretch!

Hey, guess what--I do not think J. Jill is going to stop offering their online store. Just the real-life stores.

Bella, you might want to get some sleep herbs from a natural grocer. Valerian root, chamomile, hops, passionflower, catnip, and skullcap is a blend I have found to be effective and pretty inexpensive. It doesn't have to have every single one of those ingredients.

Or, try taking a hot bath or shower about half an hour before bedtime. That's supposed to help you relax.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #1138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi, Homestretch!

Hey, guess what--I do not think J. Jill is going to stop offering their online store. Just the real-life stores.

Bella, you might want to get some sleep herbs from a natural grocer. Valerian root, chamomile, hops, passionflower, catnip, and skullcap is a blend I have found to be effective and pretty inexpensive. It doesn't have to have every single one of those ingredients.

Or, try taking a hot bath or shower about half an hour before bedtime. That's supposed to help you relax.
I do have some herbal sleep aid called Deep Sleep which is very effective.
I will be taking them!

Bella
Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #1139

Homestretch, I'm glad you have joined us here because I think it's really important for those of us who reached goal and are moving on to another goal, as well as those who are trying to maintain and are experiencing little setbacks and small gains. Once the thrill of losing the weight is not as immediate, we have to learn how to forge ahead and deal with it as a lifestyle and not as a weight-loss goal, if that makes sense.

Dammit, I am up a pound after staying exactly the same for two weeks prior. I know I am not eating too much food, but I also have not been eating my usual menus. I didn't go off plan while traveling and I am not going off-plan despite not having a fridge right now, so I guess I'm just going to have to let it go and stay focused.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #1140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Homestretch, I'm glad you have joined us here because I think it's really important for those of us who reached goal and are moving on to another goal, as well as those who are trying to maintain and are experiencing little setbacks and small gains. Once the thrill of losing the weight is not as immediate, we have to learn how to forge ahead and deal with it as a lifestyle and not as a weight-loss goal, if that makes sense.

Dammit, I am up a pound after staying exactly the same for two weeks prior. I know I am not eating too much food, but I also have not been eating my usual menus. I didn't go off plan while traveling and I am not going off-plan despite not having a fridge right now, so I guess I'm just going to have to let it go and stay focused.
Thanks Peanutte! If it was not for other long time members who I have read about gaining a bit and then losing it (Bella, Julia), I would be lost and feel so alone. However because they got right back on the horse before it became a huge gain I know that I can too. Learning to make this a way of life does for some of us mean continually making corrections. I wish that I was one who could say that I weigh the same every day and never fluctuate but since reaching goal I have been both above and below it. Your one pound gain will vanish as soon as you get back on your normal menus. Sometimes just introducing different on program foods can cause a fluctuation. I also think traveling in itself can cause some water weight gain. When I ride in a car a lot or fly my fingers swell and I get puffy. Have a great day!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote