Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #1081
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I love you 2big.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #1082
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
for the recipe or the package arrived and you are enjoying your foods?
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #1083
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
How's it going, Dovie?

I thought I would try to give you guys a cohesive update on my OWL/Pre-Maintenance efforts. I am trying to challenge myself to use the Power of Ten a few days a week and so far I find my results to be:

*Fruit seems okay! I can add 10 grams of fresh peaches, cantaloupe, or blueberries without feeling a sugar spike, or feeling any cravings. Strawberries and blackberries are lower in carbs but for some reason I have to be a little more sparse with my portions of those particular fruits. Who knows why? I just take my observations at face value.

*Beans and legumes are a little tricky. I think these will be "once-in-a-while" foods. A small amount of lentils or black beans, combined with other foods in a recipe, are okay. Pintos, as a side dish (like in mashed "refried" beans with cheese) do not agree with me. I think beans are best utilized in combination with vegetables, for me--as in, a side dish of lentils with spinach and feta, or a small amount of black beans added to a salad.

*Upping my net carbs to 30-ish seems to agree with me, a few days a week.

*I continue to find that plain yogurt, even though pretty high in carbs (12 grams per cup) does not have a negative effect. I only have it once a week or so, and usually only half a cup, though I have had a full cup once in a while.

*I have an acorn squash and a butternut squash on my kitchen counter as we speak, and I am going to come up with some fun ways to use those soon.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #1084
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
for the recipe or the package arrived and you are enjoying your foods?
The recipe. Though I did get a package from my mom today, and new shoes! Mom just sent tea and sugar free cough drops, OH and more flax meal!

She sent it Priority Mail August 4th, so you can see everything takes a while to get here. Actually, I wasn't expecting her package until next week...typically 3 to 4 weeks is the transit time.

I'm SO excited about your package though, I seriously haven't eaten veggies in 3 days since we ate the last of our cabbage.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #1085

Hooray for a care package from Mom, and another one you can look forward to, Dove!

I have a happy announcement. I just got my 2 new pairs of Old Navy jeans delivered. Size 4. Now, let me be the first to say I fully believe an Old Navy vanity-size 4 is really a size 8. But that is not the point. The point is, before I re-started, I was in Old Navy size 14s. So I have dropped from a 14 to a 4 in less than a year.

2big, you know I don't do tape measures but believe me, I do take note of the holes in my belt and the size of my jeans. I had to make a new hole yesterday. You may ask: why don't I just buy a new belt. I like seeing my progress, though!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #1086
Major LCF Poster!

WOW!! Size 4??!!! You're going to disappear on us lol

And in a year...man you have so rocked Atkins. Unbelievable. I think everyone should join this thread just to read the posts of your progress.

Oh btw, I'm doing ok. Dr. put me on Cipro for a few days to make sure nothing is really wrong. I felt extremely exhausted a few days ago, like couldn't get out of bed exhausted, but I realized I had been slacking on drinking (hot climate+exercise, I typically drink 3-4 liters of some liquid a day...and I had been drinking less than 1 most days for 2 weeks. Oops), and hadn't been able to drink my protein shakes because of the whey making me sick, AND forgetting my vitamins...well anyway, back on track, still feeling a bit more tired than usual but back to clean eating and feeling good.

Now if only we could find some veggies...
Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #1087

Dove, that's alarming! I hope you're back to your usual strength very soon!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #1088

(Oh, wait a minute--actually, I think in January, when I started, I was a wearing size 12s. I feel compelled to try to be as truthful as possible.)
Old 08-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #1089
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BellaHMB
Stats: 210/167/150 goal met 5.27.07
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 1-16-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
(Oh, wait a minute--actually, I think in January, when I started, I was a wearing size 12s. I feel compelled to try to be as truthful as possible.)
Amazing! May I ask how tall you are?

Bella
BellaHMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #1090

I'm five-three (and a half! Gotta claim that half inch, ha ha ha). I'm of a pretty sturdy build; not delicate, but pretty solid.

I assume my size 14s were "really" 18s, and the 12s were "really" 16s. Vanity sizing is out of control!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #1091
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 209/202/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 3/14/11
hmm... I have some size 16 capris from old Navy and they're smaller than any 14s I own. I'm wearing them today and can only wear them when my weight is down a little. But they're from 4 years ago. Maybe the sizing was different then.

Congrats on wearing a size 4.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #1092
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
welcome. did you know you could use the added cream from rung 2 to make your own sugar free icecream in a ziplock baggie and skip those sugar alcohols the store stuff has?
it is easy. you need a samdwich baggie and a quart or bigger one.

you fill your small one with the cream any fruit you want and your flavoring and sugar free sweetner of choice. then you seal the bag and invert to check for any leaks cause you don't want salt water ice cream.
then place the small baggie in the big one add ice. about a cup of water and salt ( the salt will lower the freezing temp a few degrees). Close it up and start shaking but not to vigorously or you get flavored butter. stop shaking when the mixture freezes and enjoy
Sounds good. I think I'll try that this weekend. Before I clean my kitchen. I tend to make a mess with things.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #1093

Quote:
hmm... I have some size 16 capris from old Navy and they're smaller than any 14s I own. I'm wearing them today and can only wear them when my weight is down a little. But they're from 4 years ago. Maybe the sizing was different then.

Congrats on wearing a size 4.
Neko, I think it was around 2002 when the combination of vanity sizing and the introduction of 1-2% lycra/spandex to most women's jeans resulted in the mass delusion of female shoppers. Once stretch jeans hit the market, we were advised to buy two sizes down from our usual size because the jeans would stretch out significantly after one or two wearings, unlike 100% cotton jeans. And then I think some marketing guys said "Hmmm, women LIKE buying things 2 sizes smaller!" so they went ahead and changed the numbers on the tags--and now you can't believe anything except your tape measure and your scale.

On that note, once again I want to emphasize that it's not wearing a "size 4" itself that pleases me, since today's "size 4" is just a marketing illusion. The point is simply that I have shed several sizes. I actually find it sad that so many women seem to feel that a clothing size gives them value...you could put a "size 150" on the tag and I wouldn't care as long as I could clearly see I was shrinking over the months. If that makes sense. The number itself has no power.

On to other subjects...I weighed in this morning, as is my tradition on Fridays, and I am exactly the same as last week, which is great because that was my goal this week. I wanted to stay the same and neither gain nor lose. If I lose 1 pound by the end of the month, I'll be completely satisfied with that. If not, I'll be okay with that too.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #1094
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BellaHMB
Stats: 210/167/150 goal met 5.27.07
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 1-16-07
Quote:
I'm five-three (and a half! Gotta claim that half inch, ha ha ha). I'm of a pretty sturdy build; not delicate, but pretty solid.

I assume my size 14s were "really" 18s, and the 12s were "really" 16s. Vanity sizing is out of control!
I understand! I am 5 ft 7 but sometimes measure as 5 ft 6 3/4 and round up!

Bella
BellaHMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #1095
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: little3chordme
Stats: 268/155 5'7.5"
Start Date: October 15, 2008
hey ladies! i recently got to my major goal weight... although i would like to lose about 10 more pounds. one day i'll eat induction levels just because that's what foods i'm craving... then the next day i'll be higher carbs 30-35 even up to 50 sometimes. i include almonds, yogurt, strawberries (other fruit occasionally) and other higher rung foods. i've been hovering at this weight for about 2 weeks (not a stall of course), but i'm not used to this stagnant feeling.

i'm on my 8th day of jillian michael's 30 day shred level 1, and i completed couch to 5k recently... i just ran the actual distance (5k) for the first time yesterday!

i'm struggling with the idea that my weight loss will slow/stop, i relied on that for motivation since i started last october. i'm considering buying a new scale that includes body fat, so that i can see my exercise progress through that number as well as measuring, and of course the way my clothes fit.

although i did go up the rungs of the atkin's plan, i worry that something i'm eating is the culprit. rational thinking says that since i'm right at the top of a "normal" weight bmi wise, my weight loss will naturally slow... but it's hard to accept that.

i'm thinking following along with you fellow owls will help me and give me ideas. i think possibly the best idea will be for me to start pre-maintenance fresh to verify what my cclm is. so much work! it's no kidding that maintenance and owl are gonna be the tough part!

Check out my blog!
little3chordme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #1096
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Neko, I think it was around 2002 when the combination of vanity sizing and the introduction of 1-2% lycra/spandex to most women's jeans resulted in the mass delusion of female shoppers. Once stretch jeans hit the market, we were advised to buy two sizes down from our usual size because the jeans would stretch out significantly after one or two wearings, unlike 100% cotton jeans. And then I think some marketing guys said "Hmmm, women LIKE buying things 2 sizes smaller!" so they went ahead and changed the numbers on the tags--and now you can't believe anything except your tape measure and your scale.

On that note, once again I want to emphasize that it's not wearing a "size 4" itself that pleases me, since today's "size 4" is just a marketing illusion. The point is simply that I have shed several sizes. I actually find it sad that so many women seem to feel that a clothing size gives them value...you could put a "size 150" on the tag and I wouldn't care as long as I could clearly see I was shrinking over the months. If that makes sense. The number itself has no power.

On to other subjects...I weighed in this morning, as is my tradition on Fridays, and I am exactly the same as last week, which is great because that was my goal this week. I wanted to stay the same and neither gain nor lose. If I lose 1 pound by the end of the month, I'll be completely satisfied with that. If not, I'll be okay with that too.
Maybe these capris are older. They have absolutely no stretch in them. Which is nice, because it's so hard to find pants w/o stretch. They fit fine in the a.m. but once you wear stretchy jeans for a few hours, they start sagging.

I wouldn't care if it's an illusion, I'd like to own something with just a 4 for the size number.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #1097

Quote:
They fit fine in the a.m. but once you wear stretchy jeans for a few hours, they start sagging.
They really sag in the BUTT, for me! Neko, I saved an older pair of Gap jeans that are just plain cotton, and there is definitely a difference in how they fit. Unfortunately, I wore them a lot back then so they are too faded and shabby to wear any more. I just kept them as a gage for size.

Hi, Chord! You and I are on the same track right now. I am also doing some Induction-level carb days and some 30+ days. We can try to help each other with the transition from OWL to Pre-Maintenance.

Looking at your stats, I see that you have lost over a hundred pounds in less than a YEAR. Congratulations on an incredible achievement! That is absolutely awe-inspiring!

I am thinking about trying Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred. Can you tell me more about it, including what you like best about it? As we begin to approach fall, I need to be thinking ahead to some new indoor exercise tapes.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #1098
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by little3chordme View Post
hey ladies! i recently got to my major goal weight... although i would like to lose about 10 more pounds. one day i'll eat induction levels just because that's what foods i'm craving... then the next day i'll be higher carbs 30-35 even up to 50 sometimes. i include almonds, yogurt, strawberries (other fruit occasionally) and other higher rung foods. i've been hovering at this weight for about 2 weeks (not a stall of course), but i'm not used to this stagnant feeling.

i'm on my 8th day of jillian michael's 30 day shred level 1, and i completed couch to 5k recently... i just ran the actual distance (5k) for the first time yesterday!

i'm struggling with the idea that my weight loss will slow/stop, i relied on that for motivation since i started last october. i'm considering buying a new scale that includes body fat, so that i can see my exercise progress through that number as well as measuring, and of course the way my clothes fit.

although i did go up the rungs of the atkin's plan, i worry that something i'm eating is the culprit. rational thinking says that since i'm right at the top of a "normal" weight bmi wise, my weight loss will naturally slow... but it's hard to accept that.

i'm thinking following along with you fellow owls will help me and give me ideas. i think possibly the best idea will be for me to start pre-maintenance fresh to verify what my cclm is. so much work! it's no kidding that maintenance and owl are gonna be the tough part!
welcome and congrats!
if you just started a new workout plan then you need to make friends with your tape measure so you can see the inches of body fat being shed even when the scales don't validate your work.

Also new to your body exercise loads will cause the DANGER save me! mode to kick in cause nobody applies higher muscle loads unless there is some dange forcing them to do it according to our genetic code. As a result you will be storing fluids in your muscle tissues so you can escape again form that dangerous situation. Soon your body will learn the new load is the normal load and shed the stored fluids it doesn't need.

the up and down days are referred to a carb averaging by Dt Atkins in his Atkins For life book as long as the sum of them divided by the days doing it doesn't exceed your personel carb limit you will be doing fine if you don't get ravings from the higher carb intake insulin release reaction.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #1099
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hooray for a care package from Mom, and another one you can look forward to, Dove!

I have a happy announcement. I just got my 2 new pairs of Old Navy jeans delivered. Size 4. Now, let me be the first to say I fully believe an Old Navy vanity-size 4 is really a size 8. But that is not the point. The point is, before I re-started, I was in Old Navy size 14s. So I have dropped from a 14 to a 4 in less than a year.

2big, you know I don't do tape measures but believe me, I do take note of the holes in my belt and the size of my jeans. I had to make a new hole yesterday. You may ask: why don't I just buy a new belt. I like seeing my progress, though!
Peanutte I had a belt that I just wrapped around a second time cause I too liked seeing it getting bigger and bigger. ( the excess part)

woo hoo for Mom's package. I was hoping the cauliflower would arrive before your beef ran out so you could have faux taters with your steak and pan gravy.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #1100

You are so thoughtful, 2big!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #1101
Senior LCF Member

thanks, peanutte! it's crazy to think how short a time it's been, but i have to thank dr. atkin's and my best friend's mom for making me aware of the program. i'm excited to have some owl/pre-maintenance buddies!

i really like the 30 day shred. i've only done level 1, but i intend to do all three. the first day i did it (last thursday), i thought "wow, that wasn't too bad!"... and 3 hours later i was SERIOUSLY feeling it in my legs. it made me realize how necessary strength work outs are. i love that it switches from cardio, to strength, to abs quickly, so i don't get too bored and i enjoy jillian's sass. i had never watched biggest loser til last season and she had to grow on me, but i love her now! i've never done any other dvd work outs, but i approve of this one!

thanks 2big! after feeling the soreness from the shred, i know my body is getting used to the new work out routine. i will measure away! this morning was the first time i measured my whole body (i usually just do my waist... i wish i had measured all along, so far i've lost 12 inches off my waist). i just finished skimming living the low carb life by jonny bowden (he gave atkins 5 stars of course!) and i'm going to do a refresher read of atkins too. now the hard part, to figure out my personal carb limit...

thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #1102
Senior LCF Member

peanutte, congrats on size 4... or more importantly shrinking 10 sizes!!

cheers to more self-made belt holes!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #1103
Big Yapper!!!!

your new exercise program will increase your carb limit too. I can do about 115 net (total minus fiber) grams of carb when I do HIIT treadmilling for an hour 3 times a week and then 3 days of BFL weight ligting also that week. when I cut back to just walking with Mother ( it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow) I'm down to 40 net grams.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #1104
Major LCF Poster!

LOL Well believe me, we still have LOTS of beef - we've had one ground beef meal (a sort of taco skillet thing over cabbage) and a "skirt steak" type fajita meal. I've got 3 THICK steaks left, 1lb each, and 3 lbs of ground beef. I'm totally portioning it out lol.

I've already got plans for some shepards pie too! And I was looking at the recipes that Cleo has for cauliflower, like the cauliflower garlic "bread" or pizza crust. Honestly I just love plain ol' cauliflower, I wonder if anything will last enough to actually make recipes with lol
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #1105

Dove, I have made shepherd's pie with ground beef, tomato sauce, green beans and onions for the "filling" of it, and then a layer of cheesy mashed cauliflower on top.

However, I only made it once, because that is how I discovered that casserole-type dishes are trouble for me. It's so odd that I have no problem exercising portion control with food like a protein portion with veggies, but food that is all mixed together like that? NOT GOOD. That's why I overate things like whole wheat pasta with sauce and parm, and brown rice/chicken/mushroom/broccoli casseroles before. Hot, soft, baked food=disaster. If I make anything like that in the future, I have to make an itty bitty casserole with one portion and that's IT. (Fortunately, I happen to have an itty bitty baking dish that I use when I make my mini-crustless quiches.)

Quote:
i enjoy jillian's sass. i had never watched biggest loser til last season and she had to grow on me, but i love her now!
Oh, too funny, because when I started watching TBL, back when I was heavy, I hated Jillian and thought she was so meeeeean. Then when I watched the most recent season, during which time I was also back on Atkins, I found her to be blunt and tough but ultimately empowering and honest. She does not coddle people! She pushes them to find something within themselves to deal with their reality.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #1106
Major LCF Poster!

I started with the 30 Day Shred and liked it, but I like my current workout better. I think you get a great workout with JM no doubt, I just don't feel that you build the muscle like I wanted to build.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #1107
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
LOL Well believe me, we still have LOTS of beef - we've had one ground beef meal (a sort of taco skillet thing over cabbage) and a "skirt steak" type fajita meal. I've got 3 THICK steaks left, 1lb each, and 3 lbs of ground beef. I'm totally portioning it out lol.
What was the taco skillet thing over cabbage? That sounds interesting. The only way currently I can get my DH to eat cabbage is frying it in bacon grease.

Went to Applebees and had hot buffalo wings for dinner. I hope we're allowed antacids.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #1108
Major LCF Poster!

Shoot, I use my cabbage like rice, like pasta, in stir frys...you have to remember I'm in Africa and cabbage is pretty much the only veggie we can consistantly get (ok, we can get potatoes and carrots and onions and manioch too, but except for onions I don't eat those).

The taco skillet...I sauteed onions and peppers and ground beef, 1lb (mmmmm beef), then added a small can of diced tomatoes (read: I cut up whole peeled tomatoes), then added taco seasoning I got from Penzeys (low carb count, I love their stuff).

The cabbage, I just chopped it up and fried it in some olive oil til it was tender but not mushy. Then I served the taco mixture over the cabbage, threw some cheese on top, forgot the cilantro but oh well...if I had sour cream I would have used that, I didn't feel like using plain yogurt...could have sliced up some avocado, but honestly it was fantastic as it was.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #1109
Big Yapper!!!!

sounds good. we eat pork over cabbage that has cooked with the pork so if it is BBQ then the cabbage is too. if it is mustard garlic rosemary then the cabbage is too.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #1110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizski
Stats: 312/149/150
WOE: Primal Atkins
Quote:
sounds good. we eat pork over cabbage that has cooked with the pork so if it is BBQ then the cabbage is too. if it is mustard garlic rosemary then the cabbage is too.
I have cabbage a lot...love it! Many times I get the pre-shredded angel hair cabbage (fine shred, no carrot) and then it is a super fast side dish.

I've just started OWL level 4 (berries). I skipped over the nut/seed level because I'm not ready for the temptation/control issues with nuts. I shouldn't really have many nuts or much nut butter anyways.

Other than the rare tsp. of sunflower seeds or pignoli's in recipes, I don't eat much in that thread by choice. I moved to the berry rung mainly because I wanted to have my 1/3 c. blueberries in my whey protein shake that I have for breakfast occasionally. Now that strawberry season is over I probably won't have many foods in this rung either.

I hope it was OK to move fairly quickly from dairy to berries. I've seen some take weeks/months to do this, but I think they may have a lot of nuts and berries.

I'm thinking that this is where I'll stay for quite a long time and maybe move to the wine level around the holidays so I can use a little wine in recipes occasionally.