Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #961
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ldyj
Thanks for the good "error" catch, Dovelette! You're right, I was off on the Rungs by 1 - that's what happens when I try to post from memory; shouldn't do that!!

On page 125, The Induction Phase, under the Cheese category, Dr. Atkins writes "You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft, and semi-soft aged cheeses, including:. . ." So, if you're doing the 2002 edition, cheese is limited during Induction. I haven't read, and maybe you know, when that is not the case? In maintenance?? The same for sweeteners. They're limited to 3 servings per day (although the use of liquid sucralose, which has no carbs, is still a mystery to me), when is it O.K. to use more than 3 a day? Ever?? Never??

Last edited by ldyj; 07-26-2009 at 12:38 PM..
ldyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #962
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
more cheese can come in the fresh dairy rung BUT and that is a big but we have to remember Dr Atkins counted all aged cheeses as 1 gram of carbs per one ounce so even though a carb counter will tell you cheddar cheese has .2 carbs per ounce don't add more then 5 ounces of cheese if that is what you are adding as your 5 grams.

the sweetners are limited for life.
Dr Atkins had a famous saying "desserts and sweets should be an occasional treat not an every day occurance!"

many over weight folk are cephalic responders to sweet tastes. Besides you will be amazed at how much sweet taste there is in natural foods like veggies and even browned protein foods once you resensitize your tastebuds by avcoiding the massive amounts of sweets you were having before Atkins. folk laugh but to me red bell peppers taste like candy so if I want something as dessert I just cut off a hunk of one and eat it.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #963
Big Yapper!!!!

atkins for life dumped all fruits and all veggies into one fruit rung and one veggie rung so it can be confusing. the eat regularly ones in the vegie lists are the induction legal and the rung 4 berry rung of 2002 DANDR is just that the berries in the eat regularly.

the Carb Ladder was added in the 2002 DANR as 1992 DANDR let folk free pick induction and OWL foods and it seems it was a disaster for many. Guess Dr Atkins thought folk would pick responsibly but heck if I could do atkins and eat 1/2 a serving of MMs each day on induction I would have done it that way too.

Peanutte you will actually do better with the DANDR premaintnenace and a copy of where those foods fall on the AFL eating reg, modertately, or sparingly.

Okay Dovelette cans for veggies and plastic bags of tomatoes and mushrooms.

oh and do you like blackberries? I will share my freezedried blackberries if you do.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #964
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post

Okay Dovelette cans for veggies and plastic bags of tomatoes and mushrooms.

oh and do you like blackberries? I will share my freezedried blackberries if you do.
LOVE them! Love all berries really.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #965
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Peanutte you will actually do better with the DANDR premaintnenace and a copy of where those foods fall on the AFL eating reg, modertately, or sparingly.
2big, do you mean that I should follow Stage 3 in my copy of DANDR, but use the AFL book as an additional resource for how often to eat (or not eat) things?

Hi and welcome, Jeanette!
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #966
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
2big, do you mean that I should follow Stage 3 in my copy of DANDR, but use the AFL book as an additional resource for how often to eat (or not eat) things?

Hi and welcome, Jeanette!
yep the how frequently to eat the stuff can be a huge asset in knowing if you should expect possible blood sugar issues from a food. you may want some of the recipes too, but if not just xerox the pages with the rungs. they are early in the book.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #967

HEY OWLS! HOW ARE YOU DOING?

The thread's been quiet this week.

Dovelette, I want to give you a round of applause because your posts this week in the Main Lobby have shown so much honest insight, and a really deep grasp of what you're trying to accomplish and the mechanics of how it's working. You don't sound like a dieter; you sound like a lifer. I'm so happy to have been posting with you all these months.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #968
Major LCF Poster!

Well sheesh peanutte, I learned from the best lol

I'm really thrilled that I've been able to "keep it up" this long and have fallen into a "pattern" that is doable for me. I rarely eat bars anymore, though we're going away for 10 days on Friday and I know I'll bring them with me. I've cut back on cheese and cream, and while I enjoyed the cheesecake I made last week, I know that is a "once in a while" for special occasion thing. I feel like, although I'm settling into what I can do, I'm still trying to make it better, cleaner and more whole. It's slow but it's progress.

Like we've said before, why in the world aren't more folks coming to this thread? I wish there was LESS of a fear of carbs and more of an acknowledgment that to make this a life long plan, you're going to need variety, and NOT the kind that comes in "package." We just have to keep on preachin' the good word lol
Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #969
Major LCF Poster!

oh BTW I'm having my mom bring me a copy of AFL - exciting!!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #970
Big Yapper!!!!

Dovelette
woo hoo on that AFL.

I went to the post office and learned about custom forms. if it weighs more then a pound it needs one they said. Also TWOBIG ForMYSIZE can't mail you anything. real names only on custom forms LOL got to go hire a real person to be my new mailing ID

Have you gotten heavy boxes before and if so have you had to pay duty on them? if so I will make them under one pound each.

invite those posting their induction yippeee I lost posts on day 15 to join.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #971
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
Like we've said before, why in the world aren't more folks coming to this thread? I wish there was LESS of a fear of carbs and more of an acknowledgment that to make this a life long plan, you're going to need variety, and NOT the kind that comes in "package." We just have to keep on preachin' the good word lol
Amen sister! Do not fear the carb!
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #972

How's your week, Rachel?

Thank for extending an invitation to the Induction "graduates", 2big. And you are so unbelievably sweet to be sending Dove a care package!

Quote:
Yeah, I know--I swear, 90% of the people who start Atkins just look at Induction as the entire plan.

Lately I am just not all that interested in variety--I know I could eat black beans and lentils and fruit and stuff, but I am just not in the mood to make anything remotely complicated, and have been grooving on eggs and a protein for breakfast, big salad with protein for lunch, and veggies and protein for dinner. With fats, of course, and about an ounce of cheese either with breakfast or lunch. I am a little carbier on the weekends, but I just have no desire to experiment with recipes or new foods right now.

Maybe it's the summer heat or whatever.

Having said that, the moment we get Rocky Ford cantaloupes from the farmer's market, I am so down with that.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #973
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Dovelette
woo hoo on that AFL.

I went to the post office and learned about custom forms. if it weighs more then a pound it needs one they said. Also TWOBIG ForMYSIZE can't mail you anything. real names only on custom forms LOL got to go hire a real person to be my new mailing ID

Have you gotten heavy boxes before and if so have you had to pay duty on them? if so I will make them under one pound each.

invite those posting their induction yippeee I lost posts on day 15 to join.
Yep I've had heavier stuff come and I think I end up paying like $1 vs $.50, so no we don't pay a duty or anything, it's really easy to get stuff here. Takes a while lol, but it's easy. Hey you can send it with my mom's name on it LOL Or just make something up!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #974
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone,

I have had a good week, actually I've been sticking to a rather ambitious workout which I feel good about. Getting up at 5 and doing sprints for 30 min, then weights for 30, every day. Eating has been clean and I am working to get back to my structured food additions because I know that's where I need to be - right now I'm sticking with where I was at 25 grams but I think I like the idea of introducing foods at 25 grams without increasing the number just yet. My body has responded well to milk and nuts. Next stop, oatmeal and tortillas!

No I'm totally kidding. I'm adding berries next.

I've been enjoying the detailed discussion about the rungs and various food groups, I've learned so much just in the last week from reading this thread. It's amazing how different the mentality is here from a lot of posts on the main lobby - sometimes it seems that every person either wants to
a) find how much they can "get away with" when finding foods to eat, or
b) find how much they can deprive themselves of pretty much every food.
It's nice to see the encouragement here for each person to find their own unique balance of what works for them.

"The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously." - Henry Kissinger

Stage 3, workout #6 of New Rules of Lifting/Women COMPLETED

Last edited by rls1321; 07-30-2009 at 02:33 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #975
Big Yapper!!!!

woo hoo on that exercise program. you may find with your carbs that low sprinting isn't a good option for 30 min. you might get a better fat burn and be better able to go the full 30 if you alternate jogging slowly for a min between all out sprints. That would make your workout HIIT and that is supposed to burn the most body fat as fuel.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #976
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the advice! I should clarify that my "sprints" are relative I think to my fitness level.. lol... what I've been doing is running for a minute, walking briskly for a minute, etc. for 20 min (with a 5 min warm up and 5 min cooldown). If I'm understanding correctly, I should jog instead of walk in between? That will be a challenge for sure!

I've been trying to track my heart rate and at the peak of my workout it sometimes goes over 175. Is that good or bad? I honestly don't know. I know I need to educate myself further on this stuff, but for every one thing I read about what's best, I read something else that says the opposite. I do agree though that Intervals get my heart rate up way better than jogging for ten minutes steadily.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 AM   #977
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls1321 View Post
Thank you for the advice! I should clarify that my "sprints" are relative I think to my fitness level.. lol... what I've been doing is running for a minute, walking briskly for a minute, etc. for 20 min (with a 5 min warm up and 5 min cooldown). If I'm understanding correctly, I should jog instead of walk in between? That will be a challenge for sure!
No I think you are doing it just right. I think we thought you meant you were sprinting the whole time lol. You are doing "Interval Training" and, depending on how fast your heart rate is, "HIIT" which is High Intensity Interval Training. And you probably don't even need to do it that long at first if this is new to you...ease into it so you don't burn yourself out. My intervals are 1 min up, 2 min down, and that is following a specific program written by a trainer.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #978

Damn, girl, I am impressed with your early-morning routine.

Did I say I wasn't interesting in trying new recipes? Funny how as soon as I said that, I remembered I have some lean ground turkey in the freezer and put it in the fridge to make black bean turkey burgers this weekend. I haven't cooked with ground turkey yet since I've been on Atkins--don't know why, other than turkey is freakin' expensive around here for some reason. Oh, I could also use it to make Asian-style lettuce wraps with soy sauce, garlic, ginger and cilantro, couldn't I!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #979
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
No I think you are doing it just right. I think we thought you meant you were sprinting the whole time lol. You are doing "Interval Training" and, depending on how fast your heart rate is, "HIIT" which is High Intensity Interval Training. And you probably don't even need to do it that long at first if this is new to you...ease into it so you don't burn yourself out. My intervals are 1 min up, 2 min down, and that is following a specific program written by a trainer.

Thank you very much Dove... it FEELS high intensity!

I am going to stick this routine out for a couple of weeks and see how I'm feeling. At this point I do need to push myself a bit to get through it, but thankfully I have done some exercise at least along the way since January so I already feel so much stronger than I did at the beginning.

Peanutte, you crack me up. It's interesting to hear another person's perspective on the recipe thing - I definitely go through distinct phases of creativity when it comes to low carb food. One month, I will just need to eat the same thing every day - I just fall into a mood where I need consistency and simplicity, and I need to not have to think about it. This is usually when I'm busy. I will go to Sam's and buy like 5 pounds of ground beef and tuna... tuna salad, burgers. tuna salad, burgers. tuna... Then the next month I will be overwhelmed with the desire to cook three gourmet meals a day and go all out.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #980

It really is funny how it works that way, Rachel. But I think that's the natural ebb and flow of it.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #981
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls1321 View Post

I've been trying to track my heart rate and at the peak of my workout it sometimes goes over 175. Is that good or bad? I honestly don't know. I know I need to educate myself further on this stuff, but for every one thing I read about what's best, I read something else that says the opposite. I do agree though that Intervals get my heart rate up way better than jogging for ten minutes steadily.
LOL yep I thought you were sprinting the whole time too. what you are doing is HIIT and very good you want your heart to be at the max rate for your age cause you don't got an oxygen monitor to know if you are at VO2 max or not. it is assummed if your heart is maxed your O2 is maxed too. then you recover doing fatburning heart rate ( 60% of max) exercise until your heart rate is actually back to that level for 1 min . then Poof you are off again.
I had a 1/4 mile track on my treadmill monitor and when I started HIIT it took 2 laps walking 3MPH to get back and one lap going 5MPH to get max. it is amazing how fast you get better doing that. I jumped from 5 to 7 MPH in a months time to reach max and my recovery cut back to just 1 lap. then my legs couldn't go any faster and I added incline for max and flat for recovery.

it is a very good workout but as you get in better shape you really need to increase either elevation or speed as I learned. I was tooling along at 7.5MPH for my max speed and 4 MPH for my recovery when the fellow next to me at the gym said
what are you doing?
HIIT! I told him
No you aren't! he said
what? I said thinking great I get the nut case running next to me today.
You aren't doing HIIT want me to tell you how I know?
Thinking I'd humor the nut case I said sure
You are nose breathing the whole time! he says

and sure enough I was nose breathing the whole time and when I checked my pulse on my 7.5 MPH I was only getting 145 beats/min and my 60% was down in the 80s. OOOPS so I had to add incline to make the fast part more intense. i look like a billy goat doing my HIITafter about a yr but I love it and my bod knees are never going to run to get any speed that way.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #982
Big Yapper!!!!

I have always allowed my tastebuds to rule my food choices so if it is meal time and I want burgers for breakfast lunch and dinner then that is what I have. if I want chicken then that is what I have. I get on a spicey slaw kick and want that fir days then back to the broccokki stirfied for a week. The good thing about it is left overs are easy to heat up and meal prep is a breeze. now if I had to go out and grill a burger every time I wanted one in the summer I might say forget it, but loading the grill with burgers and then bagging them for reuse later is great. nuke it to get warm and it still smells and tastes like the grill.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #983
Major LCF Poster!

I've been on a chicken and cabbage kick. It's just so easy. I'll mix up soy sauce, vinegar, hot sauce and ginger as the sauce. I love it because it's super low cal, super low carb, and super high taste. I think I've had it 7 of the past 14 days lol
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #984

That sounds GOOD, Dove!

2big, I actually like a cold leftover burger straight out of the fridge, once in a while. They have a different taste and for some reason I just love 'em sometimes.

Like you, I eat what sounds good to me. I am on limited calories and I'm not wasting any of them on anything I don't want to eat; I can sit down the night before and come up with a menu for the next day that I'm looking forward to. I usually have several proteins in my freezer, so I'm thinking about it two or three days ahead of time. And if I really change my mind, that's fine--today I had planned to have avocado on my salad, but I decided I wanted to have more roasted chicken thigh meat instead, so I nixed the avocado and added more chicken. The calories came out to be close to what they were, anyway.

Sometimes a particular food comes to mind and I start mulling over what I might make with that food. I will usually end up using that food as an ingredient or a dish a few days later. Like right now I have garbanzo beans on the brain, and am thinking of what I might want to do with them next week.

[edited to add] Ha ha, I just read this over and realized it makes me sound like I think about food a lot more than I really do. Like I sit around daydreaming about garbanzo beans or something. It's just planning, is all.

Last edited by peanutte; 07-30-2009 at 02:19 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #985
Major LCF Poster!

So I have some exciting news. Okay, exciting for me. We're going on vacation tomorrow for 10 days. That's not the exciting part - actually that's the depressing part lol, but whatever, I'm so used to being away now that I realize I just always have to do the best I can. But I digress...

Normally when we go to Mindelo, which is the major city on the next island over, we aren't able to bring back anything that requires a freezer because the people's house we stay at only has a mini fridge and the freezer is frozen over. BUT we decided this time to stay a day later and take the afternoon boat home, meaning we'll have Monday to shop. This means, for the first time since I've been here that we'll be able to buy *drumroll please* RED MEAT!!! It's true! They have cow on the next island over, and we're going to buy a whole freezer full (ok, well a whole mini-fridge freezer full, which comes out to about 6lbs lol). I'm SO excited! I mean I love pork and chicken, but ya know, it's RED MEAT!

WOOHOO!!

Ahhh it's the little things.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #986

YAY for you! I know how much you have missed red meat!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #987
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh BOY red meat party at Dovelette's. when should we arrive

woo hoo for you. so should i wait to send the food packs then if you are going on vacation or will they be safely waiting when you get back?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #988
Big Yapper!!!!

oh and you can get more then 6 pounds cause you can keep some in the frige and eat some for dinner that night too

hehehehe can you see the betting pool for how long that red meat lasts? will she dole it out ounce by ounce for months or will she gorge on red meat for days and be done?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #989
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh BOY red meat party at Dovelette's. when should we arrive

woo hoo for you. so should i wait to send the food packs then if you are going on vacation or will they be safely waiting when you get back?
WOOHOO! Cmon over lol

You don't have to wait, it'll take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive lol. And even if by some miracle they took less than that, the guy at the post office knows us and will hold things (it's not hard to figure out who we are when there are only 4 white people who ever go to the post office). That's why our address is so weird, we just walked into the post office when we got here and said Hi, we don't want to pay for a box (like a PO Box) can we just have people put our names on it and it'll get here? And he's like Yep. Haven't had any problems yet! Have had two packages "disappear" only to "reappear" two months late. But they've all gotten here (and typically in one piece...except for christmas...but that's another story...)
Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #990
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
oh and you can get more then 6 pounds cause you can keep some in the frige and eat some for dinner that night too

hehehehe can you see the betting pool for how long that red meat lasts? will she dole it out ounce by ounce for months or will she gorge on red meat for days and be done?
ooooh...and I bet I could get enough to eat it two nights in a row and it'll be fine...and then leftovers...mmmmmmmm

So 8lbs (4kg), and I would guess it'll last 2 months lol. We have decided we go through 3kg of pork a month, so assuming we swap out some of the pork for beef, we can make it stretch while still gorging. I think that's a good plan.

Let's see if once I have the taste of cow in my mouth if I can actually restrain myself though...