Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #931
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Freeze dried colby cheese?

What will they think of next!
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #932
Major LCF Poster!

OMG they have freezedried mozerella. We only have Edam cheese here, which, while tasty, isn't so great for pizza LOL.

So are the icecream sandwiches on plan?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #933
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tracelin
Stats: 130/130/119 ~5'3"
Start Date: Restart oct 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
Hey peanutte have you seen in DANDR where DR atkins says fats and proteins are naturally self limiting in portion size? I swear he never met anybody like over 1/2 this forum who can eat by the platefuls legal foods just cause they are legal. I know folk get tired of seeing me say "Atkins is about feeding our hunger at the time we are eating and stopping even if we got room in our tummies, food on the plate and/or carbs in the budget." but that is the key element of doing atkins for weight loss and maintaining that weight loss. I'm not talking about eating say 1200 cals neither as I was losing weight when I was a super heavy weight eating almost 4000 cals a day and then over 2000 a day when I was in the upper 100s but those folk who post about eating a whole platter of wings or whole chickens cause they were legal and tasted good are the same folk who will post about how they don't lose weight unless they cal count cause atkins quit working for them.
Really great post!!!
tracelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #934
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
sorryskip that whole page

good thing you didn't see the blueberry cheese cake LOL
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #935
Big Yapper!!!!

so you want cheese or berries with that cauliflower? and if cheese which one and if berries whuich one. I can add the mushrooms and tomatoes. oh and would you like some home dehydrated cranberries no sugar added? they are crunch and burn easy so I have to be in the mmod to sit in the kitchen and watch them with no distractions so you might not get them with this stuff.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #936
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
Hey peanutte have you seen in DANDR where DR atkins says fats and proteins are naturally self limiting in portion size? I swear he never met anybody like over 1/2 this forum who can eat by the platefuls legal foods just cause they are legal. I know folk get tired of seeing me say "Atkins is about feeding our hunger at the time we are eating and stopping even if we got room in our tummies, food on the plate and/or carbs in the budget." but that is the key element of doing atkins for weight loss and maintaining that weight loss. I'm not talking about eating say 1200 cals neither as I was losing weight when I was a super heavy weight eating almost 4000 cals a day and then over 2000 a day when I was in the upper 100s but those folk who post about eating a whole platter of wings or whole chickens cause they were legal and tasted good are the same folk who will post about how they don't lose weight unless they cal count cause atkins quit working for them.
I find some things self-limiting depending on how they are served. Unsweetened cream cheese I can't eat much of. Mix it with splenda or whatever and look out! It turns into ice cream.

Generally though I couldnt sit down and eat a whole chicken or joint of beef at once, because I just can't eat that much bulk at once, whether it's bread or bacon or apples. Is it a binging thing? Because while I was an all day nibbler and grazer before Atkins I was never a binger on carbs any more than I am on fat or protein.

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #937
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
It's true that it's much easier to eat a bag of potato chips than a whole chicken.

Carbs just don't seem to send the "enough!" signal for many people.

*AHEM!* Did you notice anything different about me? (points to stats, raises eyebrows)
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #938
Big Yapper!!!!

hey its Friday and that means an official Peanutte weigh in claiming goal weight since below .5 is rounded down.

Congrats
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #939
Big Yapper!!!!

have you guys learned about mindless eating?

if you are distracted while you are eating anything your eating goes on automatic mode until the container is empty or your belly is stuffed and your brain when confronted with the hand at the bottom of the chip, cookie, popcorn, etc, bag suddenly wonders who stole the food cause it knows it didn't eat it all. This can happen watching TV,talking on the phone, reading a book, at the movies or ballpark, or even at the dinner table. So make sure you concnetrate on the food when you are eating and put only one serving in a bowl or plate to munch on and not a shared serving bowl.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #940

Quote:
hey its Friday and that means an official Peanutte weigh in claiming goal weight since below .5 is rounded down.

Congrats
Thanks!

Damn straight I'm claiming it. I'm still going to keep going, but it makes me feel good that I hit the goal I stated for myself in January. Very good, in fact.

Yeah, I hear you on the mindless eating. That is why I practice the ol' "wait fifteen minutes and see if you feel satisfied" if I sit down to eat a meal thinking I'm hungrier for more food than what is on my plate.

Notice it's carby processed foods that tend to be eaten mindlessly. It's easier to overeat that way when you don't have to sit down, look at your plate, and cut bites of food with your fork and knife. If that bag of chips is open, you just keep reaching in and grabbing more.

I think the hand-to-mouth thing is a big part of it. That's why smokers have a hard time after they quit--they are used to the hand-to-mouth motion as part of their ritual of relaxing or taking a break or rewarding themselves. It gets translated to food.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #941
Big Yapper!!!!

Not just carbing things, low carb things like cheese chips and nuts make mindless eatting as does mini burgers, pizza, mini muffins and just about any dessert that comes single serving size like clouds.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #942

Right, right. Small, snacky foods. Cheese cubes, pepperoni, olives...hand-to-mouth.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #943
Major LCF Poster!

WOOhOO!!!! GOOOOOOOOOAL! Wow peanutte, I hope that means you aren't gonna up and leave us for some maintenance group *sniff*

Are you setting a new lower goal now? Do you have any before and after pics? How exciting!!!

I'm with you guys on the snacky stuff, I can snack pretty easy on carby OR non carby treats, but I find myself fuller much faster with the non carby stuff. I am glad I got a scale to portion things out, I truly think that i was eating far too many calories without even realizing it (because I was actually logging all my food...except I guess not all of it since I'd just say "Oh that doesn't have carbs, I don't need to stick that in"). I do love my cheese chips and eat them frequently, but always decide 1oz or 2oz, measure, shred, fry. Eat. Stop.

This calorie rotation now is helping me understand my hunger SO much. Days I eat more, I'm finding I eat less than I used to...I might want a snack or feel hungry but instead I'll get a drink. If I'm still hungry then I'll have a snack. Measured out. It's because on the days I eat less, if I give into hunger every time, shoot I'll be done with my calories for the day by 10am lol.

I think it's pretty amazing that if we take time and listen to our bodies, we can tell if we really "need" something or not. Most of the time - not. I mean I'm all for not feeling deprived, but sometimes, its like, a little restraint should be in order here.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #944

Quote:
Wow peanutte, I hope that means you aren't gonna up and leave us for some maintenance group *sniff*
Oh, as if! Not a chance, honey! I had decided on 150 as my "I'll think past that when I get there" weight, as in, if I never lost another pound I would be okay with how I look and feel at this weight. But really I would like to lose more. Because of my age, I'm taking it a few pounds at a time and then assessing how I feel about that weight, because I can't compare it to how I looked in my 20s or early 30s based solely upon a scale number, if that makes sense.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #945
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
Hellooooooooo,

First of all congrats to Peanutte... you are so inspirational!!!

I obviously have been, not here. It's for no other reason than I have been travelling quite a bit, and working lots of extra hours... also I work in the IT field and once I do get home I have just not been keen on sitting in front of a computer any more than I have to, now that it's summer, when I can be outside! I try to check in and read some posts on this thread at least once a week... but I wanted to say hi and see how everyone was doing. I have remained on track with regards to eating... wouldn't call it "vigilent" but I've been steady, and now that things are settling down a bit schedule-wise I am committing to a more serious exercise routine (well, serious for me... 30 min of cardio followed by 45 min of weight training, 5 days/wk) and that is going well so far.

It has been nice to confirm for myself that even when I'm travelling, vacationing, or having houseguests constantly, I have been able to remain steady without feeling deprived, even if that means that I'm not losing 3 or 4 pounds a week like I have in the past. It's just more assurance for me that I will be able to continue this through life. That being said I am now over 50 pounds down since January 3rd, and I'm getting myself refocused on losing again at a steady rate, to make my next goal of 199 by November 1st. I feel better already just touching base in this thread so I will be here more often going forward. I hope everyone has a great afternoon.

"The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously." - Henry Kissinger

Stage 3, workout #6 of New Rules of Lifting/Women COMPLETED
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #946

50 pounds since January! Wow, that's fantastic, Rachel! Thanks for checking in; it's good to see you again.

Way to go, sticking to your plan and staying steady. I think "steady" is a nice term; it means you're being consistent and keeping your focus where it should be even if you're not super-super "vigilant". Who's to say what is vigilant, anyway? It's up to you to decide what that means to you!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #947
Big Yapper!!!!

for a very gabby member of LCFs you sure did keep thhis a secret

Quote:
peanutte
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 212/149/150
WOE: Atkins OWL
:c lap::cla p:

congrats on being under goal
Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #948

Hee hee...I mentioned it in the July Goals thread. I'm delighted, really. This is significant for me because I haven't seen this side of 150 since before my second marriage ended. It's like my body is traveling back in time, sort of.

Thank for the applause. I don't think I would have started out on the right track and stuck with it without your helpful information, 2big, your matter-of-fact attitude, and the encouragement of all y'all here.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #949
Big Yapper!!!!

so how are all the OWLers doing?

Guess we need to poke Peanutte cause she failed to move to pre with 5-10 pounds to go and arrived at goal without spending 6 months losing them per Dr Atkins. the practice we get at that point is critical cause the appetite suppression of ketosis lessens as we add more carbs and as Dr Atkins warns in DANDR hunger returns as in belly growling food wanting hunger. The amount of practice we got dealing with that during pre was designed to assist us in staying life long goalies and not being one of those 9 out of 10 folk who arrive at goal and regain with in a yr of getting there.

So peanutte you are in for 365 days of poking so a yr from now you can claim that 1 out of 10 spot!

And Yoo hoo Dovelette how rough are packages handled? I can save shipping weight by putting the veggies in ziplock bags but veggie powder just doesn't seem worth it unless you want cream of soups mix, so if you got rough handling of stuff then they will stay in the cans.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #950
Major LCF Poster!

My aunt has sent sponge candy that's gotten pretty shaken up before, but I'm not sure how "fragile" veggies are. My mom frequently takes things out of baggies and sends them but they have so far been things like protein powder and teas. It has to pass through lots of folks hands to get here lol, so I suppose it depends on the "chain"
Old 07-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #951

Actually, 2big, I am considering the last ten pounds to 140 to be my Pre-Maintenance pounds, so it's all good. Remember I said 150 was my "okay, once I get there I'll see what's going on" goal. So I can start Pre-Maintenance now, pretty much. I don't expect to get down to 140 until Christmastime. You can still poke me, though!

Hey guys, I picked up Atkins for Life at the library today! I thought it would be good to read a new Atkins book as I'm closing in on learning to maintain. I really want to do this right so I can be one of those longterm maintainers.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #952
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fit 4 life
ongoing weight loss

I'm new to this site. I just completed Induction and moved onto ongiong weight loss today. I lost 6 pounds over the course of 2 weeks. I need clarification. I thought that cheese and meat were unlimited. I keep my low carb veggies to a mimimum. Just added 5 carbs today of mixed blueberries and strawberries. I never really made it beyond small ketosis, but have not been craving sweets during the two week period, energy level has been excellent, etc....
Some have commented that they "added some cheese" for that 5 carb increase for the week. If cheese is unlimited (unless I've been mistaken all this time), then why would that have to be factored into that extra per week?
Thanks for your feedback.
I am 5'3. Highest weight has been 160. Current weight is 141. Goal is 115 to 120.

Last edited by fit 4 life; 07-26-2009 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
fit 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #953
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ldyj
During Induction cheese is limited to 3-4 oz. a day. When you get to Rung 2, you can add cheeses like cottage and ricotta. I don't remember reading when you can up your cheese consumption from the 3-4 oz., just like I've never read when you can up your Splenda consumption from 3 servings a day (although I use liquid sucralose, which creates yet more controversy!) Fruit, if you're following Atkins' 2002 version, is not to be added until Rung 5. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it's written!

ldyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #954
Major LCF Poster!

Berries and melon are on the 4th rung, and other fruit is on the 7th rung. During Induction, cheese is NOT unlimited, but when you get to the second rung of the ladder, you can EITHER add fresh cheeses OR more aged cheeses. Add foods in, week by week, 5g at a time, preferably in the following order, until you stop losing or start to get cravings, in which case back off 5g (that should be your CCLL - critical carb level for losing):

1. More salad and other vegetables
2. Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
3. Nuts and Seeds
4. Berries, then melons
5. Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)
6. Legumes
7. Other Fruits
8. Starchy vegetables
9. Whole grains
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #955
Junior LCF Member

going from induction to OWL.....

[SIZE="3"]Thanks Jeanette for your feedback. Gee, I think I need to read the book more thoroughly. I have Dr. Atkins' New Diet REvolution 1999. pg. 170 to 172 when he talks about adding fruit, nuts, etc. When you refer to rungs are you referring to "weeks?[ So I shouldn't be adding in fruit until i.e. week 5? Please can you clarify. I'm so new at all of this. Thanks for your help.
Jennifer /SIZE]
Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #956
Junior LCF Member

transitioning to OWL from Induction

Thanks Dovelette as well for your helpful feedback. So if berries and melons are the 4th rung, is that the 4th week into OWL?
Also, what category would oatmeal fall under (in order....? whole grains aka last rung #9?
And......when can we add in the Atkins power bars that are covered with chocolate, etc?
Thanks again ladies for your helpful feedback.
Jennifer
Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #957
Junior LCF Member

rungs....and ongoing weight loss

I have the Atkins for Life book. Should fruits be avoided altogether until maintenance? Which rungs are you allowed to eat from during OWL?
Thanks. Sorry for all of the questions.
Jennifer
Old 07-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #958
Major LCF Poster!

I would definitely recommend getting and reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002, all of this information is covered in there. Basically after 2 weeks of induction, your third week you will up your carbs to 25g, adding in 5 extra carbs from veggies. Your fourth week, you will up your carbs to 30g, adding 5 extra carbs, either from veggies or fresh cheese (or more hard cheese). 5th week=35g carbs=5 extra from nuts, and so on.

This is how it is written in DANDR 2002 - other versions are different. Also remember you might not be able to make it to the "nut" rung, because you stop losing weight. Technically you COULD be able to eat from ALL rungs during OWL, but that's not common unless you work out regularly and hard. Oatmeal is on the last rung.

An adaptation of this is how peanutte has done her OWL, where she keeps her carbs at 25g a day, but swaps out food from each rung. For example, she is eating 25g a day, but those 5 extra grams might be from beans. Next week she'll eat 25g a day, but that week the 5 extra grams might be from dairy and so on. If that makes sense at all. This keeps her carb levels lower, she can see if any FOOD specifically makes her stall, as opposed to just number of carbs, and she has lost weight steadily. She also doesn't let Atkins become an excuse to feast on fatty foods all the time and watches her calories, planning each day out ahead of time to ensure she stays within her limits.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #959
Junior LCF Member

OWL

Thanks Dovelette for the great explanation. I may try staying with the 25 gm per week and swapping food items so I can have more variety. I will also get the 2002 Atkins version as well.
Jennifer
Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #960
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer, I'm not sure if its the '72 version or the '92 version or both, but one of those allows for adding foods back in 5g at a time, in any order. Hm, I wonder if they have a website that compares the basic differences between the programs...

I DO know I like 2002 best for me because it counts net carbs, meaning I can subtract fiber and thus have more high fiber veggies (and flax! though flax doesn't exactly love me, right 2big? lol...I'll have to take a picture of my "flax baby" when I overdo flax the next time LOL).

You guys are in a GREAT place to really learn the ins and outs of Atkins, and how to move from "Induction mentality" that a lot of folks have...from Atkins as a Diet to Atkins as a Lifestyle. 2big has been a long time maintainer, peanutte is no nonsense and has rocked OWL, JunkFoodMonkey has stuck with the program despite stalls and her preservation is inspiring...and everyone on here is supportive but also offers tough love.