Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #901
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
well then I guess veggies would not be a good idea So we could send you some stuff to help your Atkins along that you can't get there. need anything that isn't frankenfood?
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #902
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
lol yeah unfortunately veggies wouldn't make it Some ideas I've had (I've had a couple folks ask if they could send me things, and lemme tell you, PCV's never turn down packages - not so much for the stuff inside but for the thrill of getting something at the post office!) that aren't frankenfood are ingredients I can't get here. If I can cook and prepare that way, I don't have to rely so much on bars when I travel. Off the top of my head...

- cocoa powder (I have some that my inlaws sent, but the cocoa here has sugar in it...why? I have no idea)
- flax meal (this has been really useful when traveling, and 2big I'm over the water gain when I eat it lol0
- almonds, raw or otherwise (we don't have a lot of nuts here)
- unflavored gelatin (it seems some recipes call for this)
- parmesan cheese (hard cheeses stay fresh)
- sundried tomatoes (well that's a pipe dream lol, but at our public market at home they have dried tomatoes not packed in oil that are delicious and cheap, and add good flavor in small quantities)
- jerky, although I don't know how good or bad this is for us, or maybe pepperoni?
- a non artificial sweetener? I do have a few liquid options here but they are still AS, and it would be nice to get away from that, but I don't know what options are out there.

Sort of random, but here I have access to eggs, one type of cheese, "nata" which is cream, sometimes varied veggies, sausage...mom has sent me spices, teas, protein powder (this btw is a necessity with WLS), Atkins bars (which I find so useful when traveling)...

I'd love to hear what things you guys use to make it easier that I'm not thinking of. Things like liquids, cans and bottles aren't good because of weight issues. Like I said it's mostly "ingredients" to make travel easier (I love to cook and try new things and have been enjoying MIMs and flax crackers/breads).

2big (er, do any of us actually have real names?) - thank you for even thinking of me, it's very nice of you.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #903
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Question:

Is Phase 2 considered the "Pre-Maintenance" stage? Please help. Thanks. Meekness
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #904
Major LCF Poster!

Do you mean in DANDR 2002? It seems then that Phase 2 would be OWL (ongoing weight loss). Not sure about Atkins 72 or 92...
Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #905

No specific version. I was told that it was safe for me to follow the Pre-Maintenance plan while preggo. So, I'm thinking that OWL is considered Pre-Maintenance??

Last edited by Meek75; 07-14-2009 at 07:31 AM..
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #906
Big Yapper!!!!

Who told you pre was okay? Dr Atkins says NONE of his weight loss phases are okay while preggo. did your OBGYN tell you to lose weight while carrying this kid? if not then do maintnenace
Premaintnenace is higher carb foods from the OWL carb ladder but still below your carb level to maintain your weight. Maintnenace is doing atkins eating just enough carbs from those OWL carbohydrate ladder to maintanin your pounds. There was a dietician who worked for Dr Atkins and wrote about carrying twins eating maintnenace. She enjoyed good quality fats, proteins, dairy and veggies, with some grains, nuts and fruits. Unfortunately the new owners of Atkins.com removed her articles so you can see her menus and food lists.

did you do induction so you know where your critical carb level is? If so then you want to be eating more carbs then it but not much more.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #907

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
OWL is not the same thing as Pre-maintenance. Listen to 2big; she knows what she's talking about.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #908
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeekNHumble View Post
No specific version. I was told that it was safe for me to follow the Pre-Maintenance plan while preggo. So, I'm thinking that OWL is considered Pre-Maintenance??

Where did you hear the term Phase 2? Sorry, that part confused me, but no do not do OWL while you are pregnant. Listen to 2big...or your doctor. recommendations from folks on this site aren't necessarily anything other than opinion and from folks that don't necessarily have the qualification to be making those type of medical recommendations.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #909
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
lol yeah unfortunately veggies wouldn't make it Some ideas I've had (I've had a couple folks ask if they could send me things, and lemme tell you, PCV's never turn down packages - not so much for the stuff inside but for the thrill of getting something at the post office!) that aren't frankenfood are ingredients I can't get here. If I can cook and prepare that way, I don't have to rely so much on bars when I travel. Off the top of my head...

- cocoa powder (I have some that my inlaws sent, but the cocoa here has sugar in it...why? I have no idea)
- flax meal (this has been really useful when traveling, and 2big I'm over the water gain when I eat it lol0
- almonds, raw or otherwise (we don't have a lot of nuts here)
- unflavored gelatin (it seems some recipes call for this)
- parmesan cheese (hard cheeses stay fresh)
- sundried tomatoes (well that's a pipe dream lol, but at our public market at home they have dried tomatoes not packed in oil that are delicious and cheap, and add good flavor in small quantities)
- jerky, although I don't know how good or bad this is for us, or maybe pepperoni?
- a non artificial sweetener? I do have a few liquid options here but they are still AS, and it would be nice to get away from that, but I don't know what options are out there.

Sort of random, but here I have access to eggs, one type of cheese, "nata" which is cream, sometimes varied veggies, sausage...mom has sent me spices, teas, protein powder (this btw is a necessity with WLS), Atkins bars (which I find so useful when traveling)...

I'd love to hear what things you guys use to make it easier that I'm not thinking of. Things like liquids, cans and bottles aren't good because of weight issues. Like I said it's mostly "ingredients" to make travel easier (I love to cook and try new things and have been enjoying MIMs and flax crackers/breads).

2big (er, do any of us actually have real names?) - thank you for even thinking of me, it's very nice of you.
Looks like you got a good list going there. We have sundried dehydrated tomatoes in plastic and also shirataki mushrooms. How about some hot peppers? Do you get the hard cheese in a wedge or the whole wheel to keep it from growing mold in shipping?
We have splenda, stevia, erithrosol, and aspartame in individual packets.
I wonder if companies ship to your island cause I know one that had sugar free dehydrated berries, flax and PPIs that I've used.

I know a great place to get you dehydrated veggies too. I used them on camping and bicycling trips before the knees went. You just boil water and them and then a cooked protein and you get instant stew on the trail. If you were cooking them in a stew, casserole, or soup I'd recommend them but don't figure on amking a salad on rehydrated ones cause they are a little mushy.

how about some legumes? do you have dried beans there? adding some black beans to mexican dishes is a great OWL treat. or making a bean, garlic, and EEOV or real olives paste to dip veggies in yummy
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #910

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I wanted to do pre-m or maintenance version of atkins. I am not trying to restrict myself from carbs. I know me and my baby need good carbs right now. I am NOT trying to lose weight - but eat well for the baby. In the beginning I used my pregnancy to eat off plan and have been consuming wayyy to much sugar!!

Where can I find information on the maintenance part of the program? My book is at home, so I came to the site to find what I need. I have done Atkins in the past and lost 72lbs (220 to 148).
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #911

There should be some threads in the part of the forum called Maintain Lane, I would think.

Good luck finding what you need!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #912
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tracelin
Stats: 130/130/119 ~5'3"
Start Date: Restart jan2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracelin View Post
Thx for the protein shake advice ladies!

I'm at siggie today, and was even a little lower after my run today! Induction levels are going well, too.

This morning I had an Oopsie roll "McMuffin". Yummy!!
I had a major whoosh this morning! But I'll take it!
Food is good today! I even avoided the ice cream cones that we bought today for the kids!!
tracelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #913

Hi Trace! Good for you, avoiding the ice cream. Congratulations on your loss!

Forgive me if you've already told us this, but do you weigh daily or weekly or what? It's different for different people, and there's obviously no one "right" way.

I was thinking today that it's kind of funny how different individuals decide to weigh themselves...more specifically, I stick to my "official" Friday weight regardless of my fluctuations, and I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing--it's just a thing.

For example, I've been as low as 149.6 or 150.4 but I didn't change my stats because I knew those were hydration fluctuations and not "sticking weights". Part of me wanted to post those numbers and claim goal--but I would have felt like I was cheating because I knew they weren't what I consider "real weights". I don't even know if that makes sense. Had I claimed 149, I would have been freaked out when the scale went up a few pounds. But because I sort of ignored it, going back up to 152 didn't freak me out.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #914
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
I'm back! Sorry, haven't posted for a while and then I was away for the weekend and totally off plan for three days! Eeep. But straight back on.

Today's menu:
B: 2 streaky slices (that's these 1inch thick slices of belly pork with loads of fat on them) and 1 egg and 1 lonely mushroom that was languishing in the fridge with no friends.
s: 1oz of almonds
l: Crustless quiche (cheese, onion and mushrooms), 1 small apple
d: slow cooker lamb stew with broc, 100grams of Fage.
s: piece of cheese
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #915

Quote:
and 1 lonely mushroom that was languishing in the fridge with no friends.
Ha ha!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #916
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JFourth
Wow this is a lot of pages! I was just wondering if I have been pretty stalled lately; staying on induction. I have about 20 more pounds to lose. Would it be beneficial to move to OWL now if I've been stalled? I workout 5 days a week, drink all my water, etc....I stay around 20g per day.
JFourth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #917

I think it would be a good idea to consider moving up the carb ladder, if you have been eating Induction foods for the past seven months. Since you work out 5 days a week, you might surprise yourself by easily tolerating more carbs than some other people can. You're only going to add them in 5-gram increments, starting with 5 more grams of veggies a day. So it's not a drastic change. As Dr. Atkins asks in the book: "Are you willing to trade slower weight loss for more food choices?" Bear in mind "slower" is relative. Based upon your level of metabolic reistance, exercise, calorie consumption, and your rate of weight loss thus far, you may well continue at that rate.

If you don't intend to limit yourself to only eating permissible Induction foods forever (which you really shouldn't), I think you should give OWL a good honest try. It's meant to train us for lifetime maintenance.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #918
Big Yapper!!!!

welcome to OWL
add 5 more net grams of carbs of those yummy induction veggies and call yourself an OWLer. Your slow weight loss might be do to a lack of some needed vits and/or minerals and adding the ones in those veggies could turn up your metabolism.

What you doing for your workouts? Oh and have you checked your measurements to see if you are shedding inches of body fat as you morph your body?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #919
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Hi Trace! Good for you, avoiding the ice cream. Congratulations on your loss!

Forgive me if you've already told us this, but do you weigh daily or weekly or what? It's different for different people, and there's obviously no one "right" way.

I was thinking today that it's kind of funny how different individuals decide to weigh themselves...more specifically, I stick to my "official" Friday weight regardless of my fluctuations, and I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing--it's just a thing.

For example, I've been as low as 149.6 or 150.4 but I didn't change my stats because I knew those were hydration fluctuations and not "sticking weights". Part of me wanted to post those numbers and claim goal--but I would have felt like I was cheating because I knew they weren't what I consider "real weights". I don't even know if that makes sense. Had I claimed 149, I would have been freaked out when the scale went up a few pounds. But because I sort of ignored it, going back up to 152 didn't freak me out.
I don't have a particular "plan" for weighing in. Should I?? I will go for days w/o weighing and then go for a week of weighing daily. Weighing more frequently does seem to help keep me more accountable with my food, though. Overall, the 15th of each month is when I record how much I lost in the past 30 days.....so in some ways I go by monthly weigh-ins. Does that make any sense? LOL :blush:
Old 07-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #920
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh my lord.............took my kids to Peter Piper PIzza today (think lunch buffet + video games) and all this pizza was staring me in the face! GAH!!
The sweet lady let me eat from the salad bar for FREE! That was so nice!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #921

Well done, Tracey! Way to stare down that pizza and go for the salad bar. That lady was probably a godsend, huh?

In answer to your question--no, of course there's no particular reason you need to have any plan for how often you weigh yourself (unless you want to have a plan)! I was just musing idly about the different ways we do it, etc.

My boyfriend made homemade guacamole tonight. AFTER I'd eaten dinner and was done eating for the day. But I can have it tomorrow if I plan for it--in fact I'm totally going to have 1/4 cup on a burger instead of an ounce of cheese. Ho ho! Problem solved.

I know I could have eaten some because it's totally legal, but that's just not the way I do things. Once I've eaten my planned ****** meals, that's that. Otherwise I feel like I might as well open up the floodgates for a bite of this and a bite of that...we all know where that can lead.

There's so much discussion about snacking and "making sure you're not hungry" all the time. You know where "making sure I wasn't hungry" got me? Fat, that's where. We as a society have become so deathly paranoid about experiencing any hunger at all; it's ridiculous in my opinion.

Now, I do realize that with Atkins you're supposed to have a naturally suppressed appetite, and I think I do have that. It's not like I sit around starving. But I also think it's important to learn to eat a reasonable and appropriate amount of food and then deal with waiting for the next meal, since so much snacking is out of just plain boredom or entertainment or whatever else. I guess to me, "appetite" and "hunger" do not equal "could I eat now if there was something available?" To me, the appropriate time to eat is when I am experiencing actual physical signs that I should probably eat!

Sorry, just venting. I honestly believe Dr. Atkins assumed the kinds of foods we eat would painlessly and naturally lead to better portion control along with a better understanding of eating to satisfaction, and sometimes it doesn't sound like people understand that.

Last edited by peanutte; 07-15-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #922
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Well done, Tracey! Way to stare down that pizza and go for the salad bar. That lady was probably a godsend, huh?

In answer to your question--no, of course there's no particular reason you need to have any plan for how often you weigh yourself (unless you want to have a plan)! I was just musing idly about the different ways we do it, etc.

My boyfriend made homemade guacamole tonight. AFTER I'd eaten dinner and was done eating for the day. But I can have it tomorrow if I plan for it--in fact I'm totally going to have 1/4 cup on a burger instead of an ounce of cheese. Ho ho! Problem solved.

I know I could have eaten some because it's totally legal, but that's just not the way I do things. Once I've eaten my planned ****** meals, that's that. Otherwise I feel like I might as well open up the floodgates for a bite of this and a bite of that...we all know where that can lead.

There's so much discussion about snacking and "making sure you're not hungry" all the time. You know where "making sure I wasn't hungry" got me? Fat, that's where. We as a society have become so deathly paranoid about experiencing any hunger at all; it's ridiculous in my opinion.

Now, I do realize that with Atkins you're supposed to have a naturally suppressed appetite, and I think I do have that. It's not like I sit around starving. But I also think it's important to learn to eat a reasonable and appropriate amount of food and then deal with waiting for the next meal, since so much snacking is out of just plain boredom or entertainment or whatever else. I guess to me, "appetite" and "hunger" do not equal "could I eat now if there was something available?" To me, the appropriate time to eat is when I am experiencing actual physical signs that I should probably eat!

Sorry, just venting. I honestly believe Dr. Atkins assumed the kinds of foods we eat would painlessly and naturally lead to better portion control along with a better understanding of eating to satisfaction, and sometimes it doesn't sound like people understand that.
homemade quac is my very favorite!!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #923
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey peanutte have you seen in DANDR where DR atkins says fats and proteins are naturally self limiting in portion size? I swear he never met anybody like over 1/2 this forum who can eat by the platefuls legal foods just cause they are legal. I know folk get tired of seeing me say "Atkins is about feeding our hunger at the time we are eating and stopping even if we got room in our tummies, food on the plate and/or carbs in the budget." but that is the key element of doing atkins for weight loss and maintaining that weight loss. I'm not talking about eating say 1200 cals neither as I was losing weight when I was a super heavy weight eating almost 4000 cals a day and then over 2000 a day when I was in the upper 100s but those folk who post about eating a whole platter of wings or whole chickens cause they were legal and tasted good are the same folk who will post about how they don't lose weight unless they cal count cause atkins quit working for them.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #924
Major LCF Poster!

I love you 2big.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #925
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
Looks like you got a good list going there. We have sundried dehydrated tomatoes in plastic and also shirataki mushrooms. How about some hot peppers? Do you get the hard cheese in a wedge or the whole wheel to keep it from growing mold in shipping?
We have splenda, stevia, erithrosol, and aspartame in individual packets.
I wonder if companies ship to your island cause I know one that had sugar free dehydrated berries, flax and PPIs that I've used.

I know a great place to get you dehydrated veggies too. I used them on camping and bicycling trips before the knees went. You just boil water and them and then a cooked protein and you get instant stew on the trail. If you were cooking them in a stew, casserole, or soup I'd recommend them but don't figure on amking a salad on rehydrated ones cause they are a little mushy.

how about some legumes? do you have dried beans there? adding some black beans to mexican dishes is a great OWL treat. or making a bean, garlic, and EEOV or real olives paste to dip veggies in yummy
Oooh dried mushrooms sound AWESOME, we don't have anything like that. We do have lots of hot peppers, they are really great too. And we have dried beans and lentils, plus canned beans too. We don't have black soybeans though and I hear those are really good and lower carb...

What sorts of dehydrated veggies do they have? Seems like anything I could use in a casserole would be really great, like broc or cauli, right? You would know better than me lol. Plus the sun dried tomatoes, those are technically dehydrated right?

Cheese, well it's just a theory, I've never had it sent, but I can't imagine parmasean or romano getting mold on it right? Or if it did I could cut it off right?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #926
Big Yapper!!!!

well I've seen everything from zuchinni to asperagus and many fruits too dehydrated on different websites so maybe you should tell us what you like.

Black soybeans are just slightly lower carb perserving size then other beans. Soy was hyped as helping with many illnesses but so far the testing has not reproduced the claims the soy inductry claimed and their are actual medical conditions it harms such as hypothyroid and those who have estrogen reactive cancer issues.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #927

Quote:
Hey peanutte have you seen in DANDR where DR atkins says fats and proteins are naturally self limiting in portion size? I swear he never met anybody like over 1/2 this forum who can eat by the platefuls legal foods just cause they are legal. I know folk get tired of seeing me say "Atkins is about feeding our hunger at the time we are eating and stopping even if we got room in our tummies, food on the plate and/or carbs in the budget." but that is the key element of doing atkins for weight loss and maintaining that weight loss.
Yes, I totally saw that in the book--he mentions it in a few different place, worded a few different ways.

That's why I'm saying I don't understand the defensiveness and negativity when the topic comes up and people dare to suggest that portions and calories matter.

Dove, I've been thinking about you and wondering what kinds of interesting care-package foods might be a nice change of pace for you. One thing I noticed in my cupboard the other day was a paper packet of dried basil pesto mix. You just add olive oil and water, and parmesan if you like, and you have pesto. I imagine it would be good in a tuna salad, or rubbed on some chicken...or added to a simple salad dressing.

Dried mushrooms are a FABULOUS idea.

I'm going to keep an eye out for things at the store. Dried things, dehydrated, spices...I'd like to help you come up with ideas. Coconut flour? Is that something you'd like?

Do spices need to be in a sealed container or plastic envelope? Or would they accept bulk spices in small ziplock baggies?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #928
Major LCF Poster!

There are very few veggies I don't like. I love broc, cauli, asparagus, mushrooms, green beans though we can sometimes get those, zucchini, bell peppers (we can get green but not often red!), tomato...I like carrots but they're not on plan and I can get them fresh...I think the only veggie I don't like is peas. Well and beets, though sometimes I do. Hm, do they have dehydrated rhubarb? Man I love that. Or blueberries or other berries, fruits on plan...dunno if they have those or if the sugar content would be increased too much.

Ya'll are making me huuuuungry and boy I would love a salad with goat cheese, artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes with lemon and olive oil dressing right now. ANd dont' I wish blue cheese could be shipped lol.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #929
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Dove, I've been thinking about you and wondering what kinds of interesting care-package foods might be a nice change of pace for you. One thing I noticed in my cupboard the other day was a paper packet of dried basil pesto mix. You just add olive oil and water, and parmesan if you like, and you have pesto. I imagine it would be good in a tuna salad, or rubbed on some chicken...or added to a simple salad dressing.

Dried mushrooms are a FABULOUS idea.

I'm going to keep an eye out for things at the store. Dried things, dehydrated, spices...I'd like to help you come up with ideas. Coconut flour? Is that something you'd like?

Do spices need to be in a sealed container or plastic envelope? Or would they accept bulk spices in small ziplock baggies?
Folks have sent spice packets and pesto packets too though I am out, and I LOVE to mix it with yocheese! Or marinate chicken with it. Never had coconut flour but I bet it would be good, or any nut flours. No one opens anything here, I mean you could send me anything and it just goes right through lol. I've had lots of spices shipped, I place orders every once in a while from penzeys (since they have larger quantities and bags of them) as well as powdered soy sauce (god-sent)...ginger is awesome too.

You guys are awesome, great ideas! I just ordered some flax meal for my mom to send (someday lol), and some new teas (I drink it daily, it's my one indulgence here). Yummmmm
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #930
Big Yapper!!!!

sorry can't find freeze dried artichokes but everything else you mentioned is availible. if you put Provident Pantry in your search engine you can see what is availible. they even have colby cheese too.