Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #871
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
JFM, that post demonstrates every single thing I love about this OWL thread. Being patient, taking small losses in stride, understanding the need to learn Maintenance, recognizing when exercise needs to factor in more, taking personal responsibility...you are made of AWSUM.

I find it so very refreshing to hear people say they are okay with losses of less than a pound and are looking at the big picture. I am having a hard time not feeling utterly baffled (and kind of annoyed, I admit) by the pervasive attitude that people seem to have about rapid weight loss on Atkins. Maybe some people CAN lose 10-12 pounds a month consistently--they seem to feel they should be able to, and are often disappointed if they're not, and it just makes me tilt my head and go "Huh?" Maybe I'm just hearing too many people downplay their (totally respectable!) losses and it's getting to me.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #872
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Thanks, Peanutte. I've been stuck at thiss weight before and lost faith, tried other things and put 30lbs back on! So I had to lost that again. I won't let that happen this time. Even if I never lose another pound I'm better off now that where I started.

I knwo what you mean about people who think Atkins means super-fast weight loss. I think they've read about Induction and expect the whole time to be the same. Sadly, it's not, even if you stay on Induction!

That initial Induction loss is great booster start, but after that, for me, the Atkins advantage over other diets wasn't faster loss per week, but the fact that I could stay on it long enough to lose significant weight. Heck, even if a low fat diet was faster per week, I'd still stick with low carb, because I'd still be on it six months later, so would have lost more in the long term.
The low fat one would be a distant memory.

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #873
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey View Post
Well, I'm a mere 0.44 of a lb lighter than on the 1st of June, but that's okay, I've only been trying to maintain for the last couple of months. And I feel generally thinner and lighter anyway. Time to get back to losing though, still have ten pounds to go.

I'm happy with where I am on the carb ladder and am incorporating various foods like beans and apples and yogurt (only Fage!) but not having them all of the time. So I'll stick with that and concentrate on what I've started on the cutting calories front, with smaller meals. Also intend to get exercise back into my routine, as I haven't been doing any for a few weeks.

Will have a dodgy weekend when I'm away for a couple of days for a birthday party, but that kind of thing rarely causes me a big problem. Even if I go right off plan I get right back on. Party means new outfit!
I would really suggest you do one or the other not both at the same time. either add back the exercise which should be there or cut foods but not both at the same time cause you will not know if it help or hurt you. make one change at a time so you can judge the value to your health and weight loss of the change. Adding new to you exercise is going to add fluid weight at first so give it 2 weeks with measurements before you make any food changes. You might discover that addiign the exercise will increase your metabolism enough that pounds of body fat come of too and you don't need any addtional food cuts.

Dovelette glad you feel safe talking to the group. yep we jump on folk for screwing up, but is is discussed with the whys, not bullied and shamed, nor excused and coddled as we have all seen in some main lobby topics. Understanding the reasons why stuff happenes when we low carb goes a long way toward helping us have the easiest path to success.

Oh and about your refeed be careful if you are a carboholic as that can trigger days of "refeeding" instead of just one. Make sure you use the lower glycemic index foods on those higher carb veggies. I was surprized ready Atkins For Life where Dr Atkins not only has them by rung but then he has them by how frequently we should eat them too. like on the legumes pinto beans and black eyed peas and beans are eat in moderation while all other beans are eat regularly. On the fruits bananas, raisins, prunes and juices are eat sparingly, melone which were orginally part of the berries rung are eat in moderation along with grapes,apricots, kiwis,pineapple,necterines,and mangos, but all others are eat regularly including apples oranges plums tangerines,pears grapefruits cherries and all the berries. On the nuts chestnuts are sparingly, and soybeans roasted, peanuts and cashews are the only moderation nuts.
And surprise surprize yogurt is on the eat in moderation list for dairy along with whole milk. full fat ice cream made with real sugar is actually on the eat sparingly list LOL

for the veggies only corn, parsnips, sweet and white potatoes and pea soup made the eat sparingly list and with all the controvery over oatmeal it made the eat regularly list, the ony grain to do so. (rest of the grains regular stuff is on the moderation list except for rice) the fake low carb chips and pastas, the brans, and barely cooked are also on that list.

kerbear879 you still with us? how's your OWL going?
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #874

Quote:
I would really suggest you do one or the other not both at the same time. either add back the exercise which should be there or cut foods but not both at the same time cause you will not know if it help or hurt you. make one change at a time so you can judge the value to your health and weight loss of the change.
This is such great advice. Do any of you have cats? I had a problem once with one of my cats peeing on the bathmat. I was new to pet ownership, and so I asked around and was told she was probably responding to something about the litterbox she didn't like. I was told to try changing brands of litter, changing the actual litterbox (maybe she doesn't like the shape), changing the location of it...but to only do one thing at a time, otherwise how would I be able to isolate the problem? So it makes sense, what you're telling JFM to do.

I really ought to get that Atkins for Life book.

I've been slacking on exercise too. I went for four brisk walks last week even though it's pretty hot here. Today I have to do Marathon Mowing so at least that's 45 minutes of something.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #875
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Boy I agree on the Atkins for Life guys, that sounds fabulous!

2big I'm very limited on what fruits and such I can even get here lol. I am absolutely going to have to check on the carboholic thing...but I have done just calorie counting in the past and stuck to 1400 calories eating rice a LOT (measured out carefully) and I don't remember it causing intense cravings - I was just always hungry lol. That doesn't mean it won't be different this time lol. I wish I had the AFL book though...my bean options here are black beans or garbanzo beans, and occasionally kidney beans. Fruits - well I will be honest, mango season is about to hit and I'm pretty sure I'll be eating a mango or two in the next several months. Our mangos here though are about the size of a large lemon at home, and I think they should only be (from the book) 6 or 7 carbs. Other than that we only have bananas (which are always green...it's weird), imported apples and oranges, and the very very rare strawberry or cherry. The imported oranges here are awful and the apples are literally $1USD each. I actually never ate fruit in America...so I'm not too worried about missing it here either (omg except those strawberries). I don't like peas, corn, parsnips or potatoes...I will eat corn if a Cape Verdean serves me Catchupa but I manage to only get in those situations every couple of months

SO happy that oatmeal made the cut though! Oatmeal and black beans are my favs, though I only plan on eating one serving of either of them once a week (or of any of the "higher rung" foods).

Today was actually my "refeed" (can we come up with a better name lol) day, and my plan was to have half a cup of garbanzo beans on my salad, but I forgot to buy them so I just ate my salad without them. I dunno, most days I don't even really want any thing other than veggies, meat and eggs. I am making LC pizza for dinner, I'll just enjoy the sauce!
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #876
Big Yapper!!!!

You could be a high averaging day for your refeeds. Dr Atkins discusses carb averaging where you save your carbs from a few days a week and then have higher carb days so you could be one of those folk. for me it set off wanting symptoms so I just stuck with the same foods.
beans and oatmeal are eat regularly as in daily foods but the serving size is small 1/4 cup for each of them so you could have oatmeal 3 days a week and beans 4 days if you can handle the carbs from them.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #877
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
I would really suggest you do one or the other not both at the same time. either add back the exercise which should be there or cut foods but not both at the same time cause you will not know if it help or hurt you. make one change at a time so you can judge the value to your health and weight loss of the change. Adding new to you exercise is going to add fluid weight at first so give it 2 weeks with measurements before you make any food changes. You might discover that addiign the exercise will increase your metabolism enough that pounds of body fat come of too and you don't need any addtional food cuts.
Excellent point! Thanks!
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #878

As you will see from my updated stats, I am up ZOMG HALF A POWND! Ask me how concerned I am about this. Not at all, is how much. I had weighed in at 151.8 on June 19th, and I've weighed myself several times over the past two weeks (out of curiosity, not nervousness), and it's been exactly 152. 6 every single time--no fluctuation whatsoever. So I'm fine with that. I know it will go the other way again soon.

See, this is what I love about being consistent with my eating plan: I don't need to freak out over a measly half pound, because I know it will take care of itself.

I'm also happy about the fact that in some corner of my mind I wanted to sneak below 150 by July 1st, but that didn't happen and I'm not disappointed or discouraged.

At this stage in the game, it's all about just keeping that forward momentum.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #879
Big Yapper!!!!

great mind attitude Oh and check your measurements cause you could have added some lean body mass that is weighing on your scales.

Have a safe and low carb 4th everybody
Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #880
Big Yapper!!!!

soi did all the OWLers survive the 4th?
I had a real atkins maintnenance cheat cause it it was habenero jelly and i just had to see how it tasted since I love really hot stuff. It was so sweet I only had one bite but since it was white sugar, pectin, and habeberos it was a cheat. I was so disapointed cause it was no hotter then eating jalapeno slices from a can. Needless to say I didn't buy any of that and just got some blackberry for my nephew.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #881

Well, you are owning that little one-bite cheat so no worries, Miss Maintainer! I love hot hot peppers, but I don't think I would want them sweet.

I sometimes have thought about "tasting" certain summertime things--strawberry rhubarb jam, for example. My neighbor harvests our Enchanted Rhubarb Forest out back and takes it to his mother, and usually brings us back a jar of her jam. In the past I have enjoyed it on buttered sourdough English muffins...but now, I think "If I took one bite, I bet you anything it would not even taste as good as I'm imagining, and then I'd be stuck having taken that damn bite." So I just steer clear of it. You have to pick your battles, I guess.

I was just coming over here anyway to see how everybody's doing. The 4th was no big deal to me because we didn't go to any parties or picnics.

I did some more gardening this morning and tired myself out digging and tilling and planting. I was smart enough to get out there early in the morning because it'll be getting up into the 90s right about now.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #882
Big Yapper!!!!

if you like rhubarb it is an induction legal veggie so make your own. I love it cooked with cinnamon and then either cooked with pork roast or mixed with yogurt. be careful if you do make it as it will clean your copper pots should you spill any down the side.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #883

That's interesting--it must be because of the acidity, huh?

You know, a rhubarb sauce with pork sounds amazing, actually!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #884
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tracelin
Stats: 130/130/119 ~5'3"
Start Date: Restart jan2014
Okay, I found my way over here (thanks to PEANUTTE!!!) and hope to be joining you all on a regular basis. Hope you don't mind! I'm reading up on OWL and Peanutte has been counseling me on the carb ladder over on the ML since I'm not doing so well with it.

Looking forward to meeting you all~
tracelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #885

Hi, Tracey! Glad you came over. Welcome!

I usually make a report first thing Friday morning, because that's my weigh-day. This morning I didn't really feel like I had much to say because I'm only down .4 pounds. I was feeling rather disappointed, But you know, .4 is still something, so I'm going to decide to be happy about it.

It's been hot this week and I haven't felt like eating much dairy, so my week has been a very simple, clean Induction-style week with no "extras" like nuts or yogurt or berries. I guess I expected to see more of a loss because of that.

[edited to add] I don't mean to sound whiny, though! I'm just so anxious to break through into the 140s and I thought I'd have been there by now. But there's no hurry.

Last edited by peanutte; 07-10-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #886
Big Yapper!!!!

welcome to OWL
Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #887
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
welcome to OWL
Thx!!

Getting ready to grill burgers & zucchini for the evening
Old 07-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #888

Tracey, I have been LOVING zucchini lately! It's just such a delicious summer vegetable. I like to cut it into strips and sautee it with a tablespoon of butter--plain and simple. And then salt and pepper it. But I was thinking of making shredded zucchini hashbrowns one of these days! Apparently, you just mix the shredded zucchini with an egg and maybe some grated cheese and form it into patties. Doesn't that sound great?! It does to me!

My boyfriend and I drove up into the mountains today and I took pictures of wildflowers...then we went to a small mountain town and stopped at a Latino cafe for dinner. I had steak with chimichurri sauce*, and instead of sweet potato fries I asked for extra veggies. They gave me asparagus and grilled red onion and red bell pepper. It was fantastic and I brought half my steak home (as usual). The restaurant had a really gorgeous patio with a waterfall and a little fishpond. It felt like being on vacation for a few hours.

*Chimichurri is an Argentinian condiment made from parsley, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes. It's low carb and very flavorful!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #889
Big Yapper!!!!

Peanutte ~ that does sound really good! I'll have to try that with my next round of zucchinis!

I'm 1 lb over siggie this morning, and ~ you'll be so proud of me ~ I'm logging my carbs into ****** to really see how many I'm eating. I'm going to do INduction, as recommended by you all, again for a week or so to eliminate the cravings and then OWL. I've been reading the DANDR book re: OWL. So, I'm not winging it.

Talk to y'all later!

PS> I just made a protein shake...not so good. How should I tweak it?
2 scoops choc protein powder
3 oz coffee
3-4 oz water
ice cubes.

It was a bit "Bleechhhh". I gave half to DH, and I don't think he even liked it that much! Suggestions for improvement are welcome!! Induction friendly, pls!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #890
Big Yapper!!!!

protein shakes are not needed as a food on Atkins. BUT if you are going to make one you need a fat as atkins is a high fat moderate protein and low carb plan.

Most folk use shake powder as a flour in baking.

BUT for your shake cut the protein to one scoop abd add some cream as the fat. if you are on rung 2 or beyond you could add some yogurt to it and use coffee crystals instead of liquid coffee.
if you are on rung 4 you could add some berries to your blender and puree them then add your chocolate shake powder and a fat for a smoothie.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #891

Tracey, I'm glad you're interested in trying some new approaches. I like your avatar--it looks like a mosaic from a Florida vacation, maybe?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #892
Major LCF Poster!

I totally fell apart last week. Yes, last week, not last night. Feeling horrible right now but I'm still here.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #893
Big Yapper!!!!

glad you got back on plan. Are you doing a food journal with the Ws who what where when why and how you feel before during and after you eat to find your triggers? that can help you discover what help cause last week and allow you to take steps to avoid repeats by avoiding the known triggers.
it is work to do but so worth it cause without it I might have avoided foods I didn't need to since my "post meal with sis" trauma was hours later and I would never have figured celery was a triggering binge food for me!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #894

Dove, please don't feel self-conscious about admitting that to us. I certainly don't think any less of you, not even a tiny little bit. You rock, whether or not you're perfect--none of us is perfect!

I'm sorry your struggle made you feel horrible, though. You'll get back to where you were--don't worry.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #895
Big Yapper!!!!

Thx for the protein shake advice ladies!

I'm at siggie today, and was even a little lower after my run today! Induction levels are going well, too.

This morning I had an Oopsie roll "McMuffin". Yummy!!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #896
Major LCF Poster!

2big, I know the culprit was my puppy dying. I didnt think I was an emotional eater, but his dying coupled with our internet going out (when I was feeling very low and depressed and not being able to hop on line for support) I think triggered it. I know this sounds weird, but I felt so horrible and guilty about "letting" him die (and I know logically I did everything I could, but my heart didn't feel that way) that it felt like I was punishing myself. It was such a weird feeling. I would eat something carby and it wouldn't even taste good to me, but then I would eat more of it (of course crying the whole time) and I didn't even seem to care. Every single food choice I made for 3 or 4 days were high carb, like I was picking them on purpose. I don't know why I thought I needed to punish myself with food, but when hubby dragged me out of the house to visit some friends, I felt very out of control with my eating; you all know how hard it is to travel for me here without planning, and we just took off, no planning, so then the weekend away was much higher carb than I like (though I was at least at that point paying attention to my food choices and trying to make better ones).

Mostly I'm angry with myself for letting one slip turn into a week, and even more for thinking that it was ok or appropriate to use food to punish myself. Comfort I get...but as soon as I ate it, it wasn't comforting at all, it made me feel worse, but then it's like that drove me to want more. Or maybe it was just the carbs and my blood sugar going nutty. It's funny, they say when you have surgery "it only works on your body not your head" and it's so true. I have a much better relationship with food than I used to, but we still need to be in counseling together I think.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #897
Big Yapper!!!!

sorry bout your puppy. Are ytou sure it was punishment or was it Dr Brain calling on foods that improved your mood for yrs when you were a high carber to lift your sadness?

Our bodies are remarkable storage systems and we file and cross file things like when you were a kid and skinnerd your knee and Mommy gave you a cookie to stop the crying your brain filled cookies with pain killers, if you were sad and Mommy gave you food to make you happy then your brain filed that food with mood lifters.
And many foods like choclate contain chemicals with pharacological properties ( and you thought it was crazy choclate made you feel better at TOM time) that are also stored in our filing system.

When we hurt our subconcious wants to help us feel better so Dr Brain prescribes foods that in the past were asscociated with fixing this feeling for you. As a low carber we need to retrain Dr Brain that food isn't our drug of choice any more and give it something that it can prescribe for us that isn't high carb foods. Things like exercise for stress anger and even pain since exercise will use up the bad chemicals and make some endorphins to make us feel better. Cocoa powder is good for stress, TOM and many other things. You will need to figure out what will work for you and then tell Dr Brain you want a second opinion and use the second opinion non high carb food as your cure. Dr Brain will move the new method to the front of its choices but should you break down and use the old high carb cure it will once more be in the forefront and make the next time a resistance battle all over again.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #898

Quote:
2big, I know the culprit was my puppy dying. I didnt think I was an emotional eater, but his dying coupled with our internet going out (when I was feeling very low and depressed and not being able to hop on line for support) I think triggered it.
Oh, God--how awful! I'm so sorry about your puppy! And to think you had no internet either so you couldn't reach out for support.

I think I understand what was going on with the "punishing". You had all these feelings of helplessness and grief over your poor puppy, and you thought you needed something physical and tangible to channel those feelings through--both to let them out and to try to shut them up. Kind of like what people do who use "cutting" as a way to deal with their emotions. It doesn't matter if it doesn't make you feel better--it makes you feel something other than that grief.

Dove, don't beat yourself up about this. I know you have learned something from it, and look at it this way: it could have kept going for weeks and months, but you pulled yourself together NOW.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #899
Big Yapper!!!!

on and Dovelette are Peace Corp vols allowed to get care packages or do you have to pay duty on them?
Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #900
Major LCF Poster!

2big and peanutte - it could have honestly been either, the Dr. Brain prescription or the punishment...the reason I was thinking the latter was because of how sick sugar makes me as a WLS patient (like throwing up sick, heart racing, sweaty, clamy...it's called "dumping syndrom") which I also get when I over eat a lot. So I'm not sure if it was that I first went to carbs to make me feel better and then they made me feel awful, and then I just had cravings for them (very likely possibility) but I think peanutte, you really hit the nail on the head when you described it like people that cut and the emotional aspect of it. Actually back in my case manager/counselor days I had a few clients who were cutters and/or had borderline personality disorder, and some would definitely use food instead of cutting when they weren't able to. And yes it was like I would just wait til I could eat a bit more, and then eat more because I could, there was no satisfaction in it, I just wanted to stop crying and feeling so horrible emotionally, and the food made me feel really horrible physically. Not proud of my self destructive tenancies lol, but if we don't "name" them, they won't get "fixed!" But today has been great, difficult at first but it was a relief when I REALLY wanted something carby this afternoon and I just said no. No internal debate, just No. I think in about 3 days I should be ok again, and I just got a Bullet Blender in the mail from mom, so any carb cravings I can mix up a protein shake with ice and it'll be like ice cream. I had one earlier and it was very good for 3 carbs.

2big, yes we can get stuff here, we pay a really small fee for boxes but no customs fees. My mom sends me stuff all the time - actually an envelope she sent me back in april finally got here today lol. Typically we get things in 2 to 4 weeks, but for those rare things that do "disappear," they usually "reappear" in a couple months. It was a good package too - KoolAid!!