Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
I am definitely going to add more salad and veggies. Can't wait to make roasted and mashed cauliflower. I love grilled veggies too - portabello mushrooms, asparagus, squashes, eggplant.... yum! One at a time though, I finally realize that it is a slow process!
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kerbear879
Stats: 341/200.2/160 @ 5'9"
Start Date: 3/23/2005
Welcome Chase...I was going to say..I've seen some people post on the boards that they actually do better with weight loss in OWL than on induction. Are you going to start OWL on the 16th? (just going by your start date) I was eager to add more veggies in too and then found myself having a hard time with it. I also love cheeseburgers and steaks. I think I eat both at least twice a week! In fact, I think we are grilling steak up tonight. We took one out but it's supposed to snow tonight and probably be icky tomorrow so guess we have to grill it tonight (oh darn!) I already told myself I am grilling up an onion with butter to go with it and when I plugged the numbers in on ******..my carbs come out to 24.5! YAY!
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Yep, I'll shoot for OWL on the 16th. I am not going to push it this time and try for more. The last two times I had great first week losses and then nothing the 2nd week, which is another reason I tried to stay on Induction. EVEN IF I HAVE NO LOSS next week, I am going to move into OWL.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Chase, remember that it's not written in stone that you have to add all five new carbs each day all at once...ease into it however you need to. I did sort of halfway-OWL-Week-One transition the first week and it's really only this past week that I've been successfully adding enough veggies to equal the 25 grams of net carbs.

I like the idea of doing a Week One week in between each step of the carb ladder...as was suggested upthread. My feeling is, follow the order laid out in the book, but there is no requirement that OWL has to take a certain number of weeks.

I'm nervous about weighing in tomorrow because this week I've been so vigilant and I want it so bad. I want to see something between 173 and 174 and if I don't, I will be disappointed, so I'd better work it out in my head right now because I can't afford to let disappointment overtake me.

I'm also going to give myself a free day on veggie carbs tomorrow, meaning I'll only eat what I feel like eating and I won't worry about whether it's 25 carbs or quite a bit less than that. It feels like I'm forcing my veggies (much as I usually do like them!) today, and that isn't pleasant, so best to back off for a day or two, I think.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
you can just take a month or more per rung of the ladder if you want. we do not have to move to a new rung each week just we can't move faster then one a week.

Having your scale weight loss stop after an initial loss is normal for any weight loss plan. Keep measuring yourself and you will see inches of body fat being shed even if you don't get validation for your hard work on the sclaes each week. the scales will move soon and being smaller looking is what we all really want.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #66

Friggin' weigh-in day. I am not down a single ounce. I was 75.2 last weekend and it's the same exact thing this week.

I'm seriously, seriously disappointed. I thought I did everything right this week. I didn't have any cream cheese, nuts, berries. Just the additional vegetables. I watched my sodium like a hawk. I hadn't been eating enough calories to support my BMR so I upped my daily intake by 200-250 . And still nothing.

I'd love to tell you I have a great attitude about this but frankly I am bummed. Even a .2 loss would have been better than nothing. It's a few days after my period, which is usually a time of the month when I'm naturally a few pounds lighter. Not this time.

Bah.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #67

Obviously I meant 175.2. D'oh!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

peanutte -
That's the reason in the past that I have given up during induction - the darn scale stops being my friend. I think that's why this time, I'm just going to keep going even if the scale stops. I'm going to add in the veggies and that's all and just keep going. (I keep telling myself this so I don't change my mind)
Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Obviously I meant 175.2. D'oh!
Heh, I thought you'd gone metric and were using kilos.

I'm more of a stop-start loser. Nothing for a couple of weeks and then several lbs in a week. So I only count my once a month weigh ins. I can't say I never weigh the rest of the month, but I only record the 1st of the month weigh in.

That pattern can be disheartening sometimes, but I just ask myself, what's the alternative? No other plans work for me except low carb. I can't dictate how I'm going to lose. If I give up then I'll just get fat again, so really, the only thing that makes sense is sticking with it.

Last edited by junkfoodmonkey; 02-13-2009 at 08:20 AM..
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #70

I do agree. Let's just say hypothetically that I don't lose any more weight than I have, but I am able to stay at this weight. Well, that's still down 37 pounds from my highest weight in Oct. '07 and about 13 down from when I started low-carbing again in early January '09. So even if I did not lose another pound, I am still better off than I was. And my face is not as fat. And I'm down a jeans size since starting Atkins. So there.

I'm going to be patient. I have to be.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Okay... legumes are my next rung, so I'm going to get a small tin of beans, probably kidney beans, and add them to the beef and mushroom casserole I'm making for my lunches next week. See how that goes.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #72

I think 1/4 cup is about 5 grams. I'm interested to know how that goes for you! heh, funny that I miss beans more than bread or pasta or sweets. I do love my beans.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #73
Big Yapper!!!!

woo hoo for the bean rung.

As to shedding scale weight and stopping remember to check your inches and get your body fat % measured. We really do add lean body tissues as we shed our body fat if we are doing both the eating and mandatory exercise part of our Atkins.

I raced past a healthy stopping weight chasing what was supposed to be the maximum healthy body weight for my size. I could have been a healthy goalie with 20% body fat in June of 03 instead of chasing that number till May of 04 and stopping at under 15% body fat and still not at that scale number the BMI and height weight chart said I needed. to be at that number I would have had 10.5% body fat which is not healthy for females even elite athletes which I ain't.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone! Peanutte, don't get discouraged. You really have done great this week and I think the scale will move downwards for you again as long as you stick to it.

I think I am going to stay on the vegetable rung again next week. I really am not getting the hang of it just yet and I want to get that 25 grams down before I move on. I am going to start planning stuff out the night before. I had some nasty comments from a co-worker this morning because there were a couple days this week I showed up 15 minutes late (god forbid!). Anyways, it was only because I was making my lunches and I have a hard time getting up in the morning (5am is way too early!)

And on another note..I am up a few pounds since monday..eek..I think it's just from eating too much salt. I am gonna try to keep sodium down today and through the weekend and hope for the best on my weigh in on monday.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #75

Sounds like a good plan, kerbear. I find it to be a relief to have prepared some of my food the night before. It just feels simpler.

2big, the BMI is such bullcrap, isn't it?! No way should you have felt like you needed to be so low in body fat no matter what the stupid chart says!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I agree on the BMI thing too. I'm 5'9" and I need to get to 169 to be at the very highest end of the normal scale. I could see myself getting there. But to get around the middle it says I should weigh 145 or so. I can't see myself going that low. Besides I am at a size 12/14 right now and I'm tall so I would just be happy getting down to a size 8 or so.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #77

Well, it occurs to me that I've had a couple of different things going on this week that I might want to take into account. First of all, I've been under the weather with a cold I got from visiting my nephews. That hasn't affected the diligence of my plan, but my body might be responding differently if it's not functioning as it usually does. Secondly, I've been extremely fatigued and even a little dizzy in moments, so I took my blood pressure a few times today and it was notably lower than normal--80/56 one time and 100/50 another time. That isn't dangerously low but it's significantly lower than my usual 115-120/70-80. I was thinking that with all the water I drink--and I really drink a lot of water--maybe I overdid it in cutting back on sodium this week! With all my good intentions, maybe I should have not been quite so picky about keeping it as low as possible. So I did a handy experiment and salted my chicken breast a little bit at lunch, and salted my salmon a little bit just a while ago. Heh heh.

It's not like me to feel so overwhelmed with fatigue and certainly my blood pressure is usually not this low. It's worth keeping an eye on!

I decided to be content with my weigh- in because I didn't gain anything despite eating more protein, fat and calories this week overall!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Location: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell
Gallery: Zbunny
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: P2 Start 1/2/2012
Hiya! Thanks for the invite Peanutte -- I didn't even know y'all were here! I'll read to catch up and I look forward to OWLing with you fine peeps.
Zbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #79

Hi Sheri! Great to see you here.

Ugh, you guys, I am feeling really blah and kind of depressed this weekend. Like I said, I had a cold all week and it seems to be more than just a cold, because I've had NO ENERGY and just generally feel like crap. Plus, when I'm sick, cheese and meats and heavy foods like that don't appeal to me at all. I made some very simple chicken soup this morning using 1/2 cup vegetable stock, 2 cups water, an ounce of chopped garlic (that's a lot of garlic and frankly, a lot of carbs, but I felt I needed it), a little chopped parsley, a half ounce of chopped white onion, and 6 ounces of chicken breast. I also added a little cayenne pepper because I feel that both garlic and spices can be helpful when your head is stuffy. So that went down okay, but I haven't eaten anything else today and nothing sounds good to me.

One of the main things I like about low-carbing is that energetic feeling you get from keosis. Well, I have not had that feeling all week because of this cold! It's bringin' me down, man. I don't feel that I'm in ketosis--not just energy levels, but I don't have the peculiar-smelling pee--and am not sure what to do to get back into it. I'm wondering if I should do 20 grams or less for a few days until I feel myself getting back into that zone? What do you all think?
Old 02-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Well, DH just asked me if I want to go for a hike, so I'm going to have to bookmark this page and come back to it later to catch up with everyone. So far I've read some amazing advice and analogies -- bright group around here! I look forward to talking with you all.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #81

Heh, I just noticed your cowbell references in your stats, Sheri--very funny!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey View Post
The way I look at it is that if Induction level carbs and allowed foods was the most successful way to lose and keep the weight off, then that would be the entire diet. But it's not. The diet as described in the book must be the one that worked for the largest percentage of people who were Dr Atkins' patients before he published his book, since of course he's going to write the book about the most successful version of the diet!

And if you can follow my logic there... you're doing well.

OWL is a learning process, figuring out what you can eat and can't eat. Learning what triggers problems, or stalls you. Retraining your eating habits for life. Tailoring Atkins to your tastes and lifestyle.

It's definitely easier to reintroduce foods gradually, so you can assess each one as you go. Stay on Induction only foods until goal and what do you do then for maintenance? Add them all back at once, and find you've got a problem and have no idea which food is causing it?

Don't fear OWL! And why deprive yourself of good, nutritious foods that you could have incorporated in your diet with no problems?
ITA with ALL of that, JFM!

2Big: Thanks for the excellent and informative reminders, and the homebuilding/landscaping analogy. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Heh, I just noticed your cowbell references in your stats, Sheri--very funny!
I do love me some cowbell!

Hey all, I saw a couple of you refer to eating Fage yogurt, so I have a question for you. In the past I added it back to my diet, but I wasn't really following the carb ladder (because I, of course, knew more than Dr. A. ). At any rate, when can I add it back in? There's no "yogurt" rung, is there?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

I was thinking of adding the fage back in on the fresh cheese rung because it seemed the closest since it's dairy.

Peanutte, feeling any better? Sometimes with those colds, you just need to let them take their course. As for the ketosis, maybe you are still in it but since you have that cold it's just hard to tell. If you really think you are not in ketosis anymore, then maybe a few days at under 20 grams should definitely put you back into it.

Well today is my official weigh in day, I ended up gaining a half pound which is better than I thought it would be. Earlier in the week i was up 3 pounds. Anyways, I am going to try the vegetable rung again. I think I only hit 25 grams of carbs maybe 1 day last week so I am gonna make sure it's 25 this week.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Today was my "official" weigh in day - Mondays. I am down 6 pounds for my first week. I know that's good in the big picture - but I was weighing daily just to make sure I was going in the right direction. I have been the same weight since Friday. I completely stalled for a couple days - but I supposed that's ok over the weekend which is generally my toughest time.

I am totally talking to myself though to convince my carb addicted brain to stick with this. This is always ( I mean EVERY time) where I give up - after I experience a quick loss and then stall for a few days. I really want to make it through the week without weighing and see what the results are next Monday. That's my goal at least!

So to sum it up - I am experiencing that angel on one shoulder, devil on the other thing. My carb voice is begging me to give up and go back to weight watchers, but the part of my brain that knows this can work if I just keep going is battling hard to win.

Do the days seem sooo long for anyone else right now?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #85

I sympathize with those dueling voices, Chase. This might be a good time to take a few moments and put IN WRITING all your reasons for wanting to do low-carb vs. WW. Make it a post for us here, and you can refer back to it any time. What convinces you that low-carb is an important switch for you to make? What reasons are most important to YOU? It's best to get that really clear in your head, otherwise the temptation to talk yourself out of doing it will have more power.

For example, even on weeks when I am not losing any weight, I remind myself that diabetes is a huge threat in my family, and this is an important preventative step for me. I remind myself that I do not feel deprived while eating higher fat and protein, and I truly believe it's good for me. I remind myself that this is the first time I've been in the mid-170s in over three years, and just because I didn't lose anything last week doesn't mean I'm not still only 5 pounds away from 170 and 6 pounds away from being in the 160s! I remind myself that eating lots of carbs, even whole grains and whole-wheat pasta, makes me tired instead of energetic. And so on--I just keep piling on positive reminder after positive reminder. Having "banked" those benefits mentally helps prepare me for those moments when I feel angry that I haven't magically lost more weight more quickly--which rationally I know isn't healthy and rationally I know is not really my goal!

As for Fage, I don't know--I personally would not have yogurt of any kind until further along, because it has so many carbs. That's just me, though.

The cold continues to drag along annoyingly, and I will be VERY gratified when I get my previously bouncy energy levels back!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Actually, Fage is not as bad as other yogurts in the carb area. It has about 7 net carbs of the full fat version for 8oz. I use to only eat about 4 oz at a time before because it's very thick. So 3.5 net carbs at one time is not too bad. But again, it's more of a personal preference.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #87

kerbear, you're right, that isn't too high in carbs. Thanks for the info! I know everybody loves Fage, but really, I find the texture and taste to be very similar to sour cream--which is fine, if I'm in the mood for sour cream, but I prefer a thinner yogurt like Stonyfield Farms or Brown Cow.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Loner
Stats: Chase Utley xoxo
Good luck with OWL, its the way to go. Congratulations on your decision to move on. I didnt go out of ketosis until i was doing about 50-60 carbs a day. everyone is different. Try to stick to the ladder order.

i started with each step and did it for a few weeks as opposed to each week. this took the pressure off me. 5 extra carbs of salad for a few weeks, then 5 extra carbs of cheese for a few weeks, etc.

one thing i learned is that i cant eat oatmeal or bread without going into full eating frenzies so i just stay away. unfortunate but reality. also i learned that as i started adding other things, i couldnt eat what i was eating on induction plus the extra good carbs, i had to start cutting down on big calorie items....ie more salad, less steak. (not no steak , just less then what i was eating)

and you dont have to eat all the carbs on the carb ladder on the same day as you start adding them in. like, you dont have to eat cheese and nuts every day just cause you added them in.... just take things slow and eat in moderation. exercise exercise exercise!

DO NOT BE discouraged if your weight loss slowers when you are doing owl. your body needs to adjust. any loss is a good loss!

good luck and im glad you started an owl thread.

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

wow did you guys get busy the last 2 days.

Peanutte keep making soups and enjoying the low carb heath food. you could add some cream or some grated cheese to it to get the fat in.
When we are sick our immune system can effect our glucose metabolism so just hang right where you are until you get better.
Since you like spice and garlic for your nasal clearing how about a curry? I love pumpkin curry goes down easy when your throat is scratchy is low carb full of vits and minerals and can be as spicey hot as you can tolerate. I put chopped onions and garlic in a littel EEOV and saute them then add curry paste and saute it a bit to release the oils from the spices and then add chicken stock about a quart and bring to a boil lower to a gentle simmer and add a can of pumpkin and cover cause the pumpkin will thinken it and the "boils" will explode everywhere. after 20 min the soup is ready and I add cream or yogurt to each individual serving so I can control the fat content too. For a meal I add chopped up chicken or shredded pork and know I'm getting healthier and having a treat high carb dieters can't enjoy with the cream yum.
the pumpkin soothes your throat and the spices run your nose and sinuses washing those bad germs out.

Peanutte We use sodium in all our nerve impluses and muscle contractions.
when you cut back your sodium intake remember sodium is a retained chemical so your body will be out of kilter as it alters fluid release to try to adjust your sodium loss it perceives is going on and you could be retainign fluids. Your blood pressure may also be dropping due to that lowered sodium amount which could make you feel weak and fatigued too.

CHASEMAMA you really need to reread chapter 15 of your DANDR not losing scale weight for a few days is NOT a stall by any means. Stalls are defined as 4 weeks of no scale NOR inches lost. We didn't put the weight on as a pound a day and we will not shed the weight at that rate neither. It is very normal and natural for pounds to shed in bunches and then nothing. This is why measuring to see the inches of body fat leaving when the metal monsters ( scales) fail to validate all the hard work you have done working your Atkins. for very complicated biochem reasons the human body needs to retain shape and will stuff fluids into the tissues when body fat cells are releasing fat molecules. the fluid molecules are denser so they will add scale weight bit not quite the same volume to the cells. this will make the scale stay put but the tame measure will show some shrinking going on. Once the biochemical interference of all that fluid exceeds your individual tolerence for it your body will release chemicals to release the fluids and poof over night you will get a jump in scale weight loss even though you didn't change anything in your exercise nor eating. then the scale will not move again for a while but the tapemeasure will show you shrinking some. it is that way on all weight loss plans so please don't think Atkins sucks torturing me with big losses and then no losses.

Oh and yogurt is added abck on the fresh dairy rung number 2. enjoy it but don't over do it. there are some yogurt addicts on this board as you may have seen in their Main lobby posts about it.

Last edited by 2big4mysize; 02-16-2009 at 09:01 AM..
Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #90

2big, as usual your posts are always jam-packed with good information!

I'm adjusting my attitude to fit reality, so no worries there. In fact I might skip weighing this week and just go with the flow and let myself not worry about it until I am feeling 100% again.

As for the lower blood pressure, I do think I was being a tad overzealous in restricting my sodium. I am quite sure any number of us go well above 100% of the RDA on any given day--there's really no way NOT to without making serious, hypervigilant efforts.

However the other piece of the puzzle is that I've lost 37 pounds since I was put on hypertension medication. AND, I majorly, drastically reduced my alcohol intake. And, I asked to be taken off Effexor because my blood pressure had soared ever since being on Effexor. So all those three things have changed. Which makes me wonder if I still need to be taking this medication--if it is lowering my BP to a point that isn't necessary.

I'm taking my BP several times a day and writing it down for my doctor so we can have a conversation about that.