Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #721
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
it also is an antifungal so it keeps the candida at bay too
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #722
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Somebody kick my butt--I need to mow the back yard but I am procrastinating.

Once I get started it'll probably be no big deal, right? Right. Okay, then.

I also need to re-pot a May Night meadow sage that unexpectedly survived the winter in a small pot from last year. That'll be my reward: if I mow the yard, I can re-pot my sage.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #723
Big Yapper!!!!

okay gang now that Peanutte is mowing we can talk about her. Bet she hurries and finishes so she can see what we said about her.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #724

Done, you filthy gossipmongers!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #725
Big Yapper!!!!

whew we deleted it all just in time
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #726

OMG UR SO MEEEEN!1!!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #727
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
hahahahahaha

Wanted to share my little moment for the day... I've had a size 16 pair of jeans hanging up on display in my closet since I started, and I randomly tried them on this evening... and

First time in at least 5 years.

Yay!

How is everyone? Dovelette, hope you are hanging in there with all the craziness...

Oh and I'm a little late but yay garlic!
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #728

Oh God, Rachel, I know how good that feels and I have to give you a big cheer! YAY! I'm so happy for you!

I've had a pretty good week but I don't really expect to see any loss tomorrow. I'll be satisfied if things stay the same or (worst case scenario) only go up a half pound. At this point it's becoming less about the scale and more about deciding when, exactly, I want to slow down or stop. Which is not to say I don't still get psyched to see weekly losses, but size-wise, I can't believe where I am right now so I don't feel this urgent need to keep losing weight. Now, that doesn't mean I'm losing motivation or getting careless--not at all. I just want to take a few weeks to feel my smaller size and get comfortable with it. If that makes sense. This has all been a lot more emotional than I anticipated and I need my mind to catch up with my body.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #729

You know, I'm starting to think all I have to do to guarantee a loss each week is to declare my skepticism on Thursday night before my Friday weigh-in. I'm down 2 pounds this week. Wow!

The only thing I did differently was to adjust my protein and up my fats slightly to keep my calories the same. I had been eating about 105 grams of protein a day, but as 2big has pointed out, as we shrink, so do our various caloric needs and that includes protein grams. I weigh about 71 kilos, so I reduced my protein to about 77 grams a day and used more bacon fat (2 tsp to sautee my vegetables, which, by the way, is delicious and I highly recommend it) and used more olive oil/vinegar in salads instead of prepared blue cheese dressing. I didn't up my dairy, but my fats were around 68% instead of 55-63% as they had been. Protein was at about 25% most days. I read somewhere that a good rule of thumb is to eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per kilo of body weight. Somebody please set me straight if that's a bogus recommendation. God knows there are enough different protein recommendations floating around these forums.

However, I find that I'm a little hungrier on less protein so I intend to up my carbs by 5 and calories by 100 and see how that works for me. Adding yogurt, having berries and making sure to include small amounts of legumes this week (since I've already passed those rungs) will make that easy. 2 pounds was a pleasant surprise this week, but my hunger tells me I need to make these adjustments if my protein portions are downsizing.

Last edited by peanutte; 05-29-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #730
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats to you both on losing.
Peanutte don't up your carbs after a protein cut. up your protein 5-10 percent and see if you are still hungry don't cut cals now neither since it takes more cals to make glucose out of protein you will get the same burnt off effect then if you add more carbs.

COntrolled carb is a PhD in nutrtion and licensed to practice. She has a website full of how to adjust things for low carbers and one thing she said in the making the ******* diet healthier was to divide weight in pounds by 2.2 which would give you your minimum target grams of protein which would be 1 gram per kilo gram of body weight. she then said target intake should be that number plus or minus 10% so if you are hunger add more grams of protein and see how your hunger responds. Some folk who workout a lot actually needed even more then the 10% addition. Low carber use that glucose to keep their blood glucose stable and to feed the body parts like red blood cells, parts of the retina and some brain tissues that can't process fats nor ketones.

Now for the bad news Peanutte. As we low carbers progress from induction to later stages of OWL we are replacing those glucose storages we shed that first week of induction. If you cut your protein too low to maintain your blood glucose supply your body was releasing those stores along with the restored fluids so you could have shed a pound of water weight too which you will be restoring as you stabilize your glucose production levels. In other words just adding those few more cals may result in a pound or two gain next week. check the inches so you know what it was and will be and don't panic.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #731

2big, I wasn't going to cut my calories, I was just going to use more fat to reach them instead of more protein. I think 77 grams of protein should be fine for my weight (71 kilos), don't you think? Surely the 105 grams a day I had been eating would be considered excessive for my current weight?

But I see what you're saying, so what I'll do is shoot for about 83-85 grams of protein next week and see how that goes. Since I'm happy with my carbs, I guess I will leave them alone. Thanks for the information; you're always so helpful. Honestly, this OWL thread has benefited so much from your contributions .

Last edited by peanutte; 05-29-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #732
Big Yapper!!!!

oh I was disagreeing with your cutting the protein back I think you just cut a little too far if you are hungry and you dropped 2 pounds this week.

I saw you had added fat this week to keep your cals the same as last week's. I meant don't cut out any cals from where you ate this week when you up your protein a little bit more this coming week so you will be a few cals and protein up too. Then see how your hunger is.

And this is just one example of how OWL is the great food experiment where we are both the scientist and the lab rat being tested too.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #733

Oh, okay. No, I really do see what you're saying--that I may have cut my protein TOO much at one time. Yeah, that makes sense.

It is an experiment, and I love that. I didn't DO all this last time, and no wonder I started eating off-plan little by little. It's been five months for me, with no cheats, and it's been relatively easy, and most importantly, I'm losing steadily. You really can't ask for more.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #734
Big Yapper!!!!

one hunger protein test the Atkins folk told me about back in 2002 was if you are hungry within an hour of eating low carb then you needed more protein in your meals. That was part of their how much is too much protein answer when I ask how high too high was.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #735
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melkhamilton
Can I hop on?

The Main Carb Lobby is getting to be too much for me.

I figured people might be a little more mellow on the "splitoff" boards?

So...I'm on OWL...I lost eight pounds on induction, which is reasonable for my weight, I feel. I'm doing great so far...loving my food.

I previously did VLC...but thought of it as temporary. The more I read, the more I realize this is an absolutely fine, very tasty and extremely healthy WOE, so...hoping for permanence this time!

So anyway, hi!
melkhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #736
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Hi, Mel. It can be intense in the lobby!

8lbs in Induction is great for your weight, excellent flying start, and great that you're ready to work the OWL stage!

One thing about OWL is that it really keeps up your interest in the plan, as long as you keep moving up the rungs and trying different types of food and different foods in that group. Extended induction can be great, but you can get into a rut with it. With OWL you're shaking things up all the time and learning anf training yourself for maintenance.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #737
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
Welcome Mel!

I am going to do another couple weeks I think at 25 grams with the milk. I have had an odd week, lots of socializing and while I did stay on plan it wasn't really optimized...

Hope everyone is doing well.

Have a good day
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #738
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, junkfoodmonkey. I LOVE your username. I definitely am going to check more into recipes. The more LC recipes I read, the more variation I realize there is. I will definitely take your advice and keep looking for ways to mix it up.

Thanks, rls! CONGRATULATIONS on your size 16s! Beautiful. That must have felt great. I too am staying pretty much LC, I think...I just like it, number one; it seems to control my appetite a little better, number two; and number three, I just don't seem to "need" more carbs at this point. As long as I can keep finding variety I can't see moving up in carb grams yet. Anyway, congrats on your NSV!!! Fabulous! Hey, where are you going on vacation? Just curious.

So folks, I myself am back from vacation and down to the grind! I freelance from home (I'm a writer) following 20 years in the "real" workforce (heh heh), and take care of my two younger children. And do housework. And garden...and take walks...and clean my house rather OCD-esque...and read a bunch...and...and...well, there you have it. Glendora's Life. So...nice to meet you all! Everybody gear up and have a great week!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #739
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I'm back and shuffeling through all these posts and 200 emails, but I wanted to say quickly that I think I actually lost weight this trip (or maintained from when I went up LAST weekend maybe?) and only had to eat carbs once - I visited the host family I stayed with when I first got here and my "mom" had made a rice dish for me. It had a bit of beans and meat in it, so I took a very small amount, ate slowly, and she just opened a new store at the front of the house, so a bunch of kids kept coming over to get candy and every time she got up from the table I would push the beans and meat aside and put some of the rice back in the bowl...then when she came back I'd eat the meat and beans, and put more on my plate so it looked like I really liked the food. In the end I think I ended up staying completely on plan except for less than 1/4 cup of rice. AND I didn't rely too heavily on Atkins bars; the flax breads I made did NOT make me bloat, they DID help me "go" which I've had trouble doing, and they kept me full for breakfasts and snacks. I did end up bringing my own food to a cookout we were having, and everyone thought I was nuts but whatever.

WOOHOO! i'll weigh in and catch up tomorow and post more.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #740
Big Yapper!!!!

welcome
so where are you in your OWL rung one? where did you eat your induction carb levels at 20 or were you considerable lower? are you doing 2002 DANDR 92 or 72? helps us to know what you are doing right for your plan before we say you can't have that.

oh and if you didn't make friends with your tape measurer and measure arms hips thighs calves bust chest hips neck and anywhere else you want so you can see the inches of body fat being burned of even when the scales refuse to validate your efforts working your Atkins both the exericse and the eating.
BTW what you doing for that mandatory exercise part?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #741
Big Yapper!!!!

woo hoo welcome back congrats on that great job while away.

Guys don't forget to go congrats the MAY OWLERs on their challenge successes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
I'm back and shuffeling through all these posts and 200 emails, but I wanted to say quickly that I think I actually lost weight this trip (or maintained from when I went up LAST weekend maybe?) and only had to eat carbs once - I visited the host family I stayed with when I first got here and my "mom" had made a rice dish for me. It had a bit of beans and meat in it, so I took a very small amount, ate slowly, and she just opened a new store at the front of the house, so a bunch of kids kept coming over to get candy and every time she got up from the table I would push the beans and meat aside and put some of the rice back in the bowl...then when she came back I'd eat the meat and beans, and put more on my plate so it looked like I really liked the food. In the end I think I ended up staying completely on plan except for less than 1/4 cup of rice. AND I didn't rely too heavily on Atkins bars; the flax breads I made did NOT make me bloat, they DID help me "go" which I've had trouble doing, and they kept me full for breakfasts and snacks. I did end up bringing my own food to a cookout we were having, and everyone thought I was nuts but whatever.

WOOHOO! i'll weigh in and catch up tomorow and post more.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #742

Dove, that's really great! Way to go!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #743
Senior LCF Member

Dovelette, BRILLIANT! Nice job.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #744
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
welcome
so where are you in your OWL rung one? where did you eat your induction carb levels at 20 or were you considerable lower? are you doing 2002 DANDR 92 or 72? helps us to know what you are doing right for your plan before we say you can't have that.

oh and if you didn't make friends with your tape measurer and measure arms hips thighs calves bust chest hips neck and anywhere else you want so you can see the inches of body fat being burned of even when the scales refuse to validate your efforts working your Atkins both the exericse and the eating.
BTW what you doing for that mandatory exercise part?
Hi! Is this at me? I'm not doing the rungs the normal way. For one thing, I doubt I'll ever be able to do fruit...no matter how many rungs I climb my way through. And the starchy vegetable and sooper-dooper-unrefined grain dealio rungs? Ohhhhhhhh my. Maybe in a few light years. Know thyself and all that...... Seriously. I've been down this road before. That's okay. I think--hope--I may eventually get to VERY minimal berries, but...they won't be a rung, they'll require their own elevator and are a long ways from now...

I finished Induction last week. I'm trying to stay far away from Frankenfoods, but I do use artificial sweetener--Splenda. I did pick up some Stevia today to try, though. I'd rather do that if I can stomach it.

I have read both versions of DANDR and would say I started off much more 72...without the rungs, etc., and the total number of carb grams with*out* netting out the fiber. It's just easier for me that way. ETA: Oh, sorry...I stayed at 20g carbs (total, not net) maximum, and that's where I think I may stay for a while. Another edit (good grief!)...sorry, I totally confused myself...I didn't go down to effectively zero carbs so I really didn't do 72 in that regard. Sorry about that confusion...

Mandatory exercise: I have been walking to my son's school each day and then walking him back (40 minutes total) pushing my littlest in the stroller (he's three years old), and getting in a second walk whenever I can. Today I did. So I got in a lot of walking...it was a good day that way.

I will definitely measure. Thank you!!

Last edited by melkhamilton; 06-01-2009 at 07:00 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #745
Big Yapper!!!!

yep it was to you.
Boy you are confusing to follow what you are doing with your Atkins. lots of folk never add the upper rungs of the carb ladder. just start with more of thos eyummy induction veggies and see how you do.

You are getting resitatnce and cardio in that walking at the same time. good job.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #746

So, to sum up:

*You've been at 20-at-the-most carbs without subtracting fiber

*You plan to stay at that level

*You're not doing the rungs

I don't know much about 72, and this is not a form of OWL with which I'm familiar. For what it's worth, there's no mandate that you must do any particular rung. I've been on Atkins for five months and I have yet to eat any kind of grain other than the occasional Wasa crispbread (3 grams net carbs), and only one of those per day when I do have them. I have not tried starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, either. It seems to me that the structure of OWL is in place to keep us organized and on track, so that we're not just blindly experimenting. And although I've certainly passed the nuts, berries and legumes rungs, I don't have those things regularly, and I don't piggyback them; so, for example, if I'm having strawberries this week, which I am, I am not going to have peas or beans, or nuts. That way I can keep a closer eye on how individual food groups affect me, and frankly it's not big deal because those aren't things I'd be eating all the time anyway. They are sort of "special category" foods for me, and I use them to add variety and test things out.

I guess what I'm saying is: you don't have to view it as some obligatory adding-in of everything. Once you pass the "more veggies" rung, that doesn't mean you're required to continually have more veggies; it just means you've figured out if you can have them while continuing to lose.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #747
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Peanutte, you sound similar to me. I'm at the legumes rung, but I'm not having them all the time, just because I have "permission" to. And like you, I'm not "piggybacking", like beans, fruit, nuts, yogurt all in one week. This week I'm including some nuts - macademias! yay! - but I don't have any fruit, beans or yogurt on the menu. Next week I might leave off the nuts and have some berries and fage. Week after I might make up a big ol' chilli in the crockpot and have some beans in it and eat that for lunch all week. Just never all of these things at the same time.

I find it key not to rely too much on having some particular food every day, aside from the obvious basic staples, meat, veg, eggs. Even something like bacon I won't have in the house all the time, since I don't like to get into a thing of "I must have this!"

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #748

Yep, that sounds like me!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #749
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
you guys are such an inspiration to me. I JUST got DANDR sent to me today and am re reading it - yay! I'm contemplating "starting over" - not totally, but going back to induction for maybe 5 days (I got ketone strips too, though I think I peed on the wrong end lol) and then really doing OWL by the book (like not adding back those peanuts til I get to legumes lol). I feel like I'm adding too many things at once and not "removing" things as I go. So I've added more veggies up to 20g, then yogurt to 25, then nuts to 25 (didn't go up really, just more variety) and then beans to 30g, but was still eating yogurt while eating beans etc. What you guys seem to be doing is different and I think for long term maintenance that will be better to show me what works and what doesn't.
I think re-reading will help me get a better handle on the specifics.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #750

Dove, what junkfoodmonkey and I are talking about in terms of not overlapping or "piggybacking" foods--that's just our "thing"; it's not really from the book*. But my idea of Pre-Maintenance and Maintenance will include more overlap, such that I might have two different higher-carb OWL-friendly foods in the same day or even the same meal, as long as it's all within the level of carbs I can eat in order to maintain. Since Pre-M includes the Power of Ten, instead of the Power of Five, there should be room for some of that combining. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm not even thinking about Pre-M until I hit at least 150, if not 140-145.

*It sort of is from the book in terms of initially introducing one thing at a time and only having it three times that week.