Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #691
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Mmmmm spinach, lentils and feta...ok so I don't have spinach or feta...but I DO have kale, lentils and a semi soft goat cheese they make here! What do you do with it? Probably just pre cook the lentils, cook the greens and add them to the lentils and top with cheese?

After I posted, I checked the scale again and it actually said 165. I did it again 10 min later and it was till 165, so I"ll take that for the day!

Tonight I was already planning on a taco salad, so I'm just going to add 1/4 cup of black beans to the mix and see what happens. I'm SO excited!
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #692
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Goat cheese would be excellent! I'd cook the lentils, chop the kale and cook that, and mix it all together! That goat cheese will give a wonderful creamy taste and texture to it. You could even bake it if you wanted to get the cheese really melted and a little bubbly.

Taco salad! That's funny because I had it for dinner last night. I just cooked up some ground beef with a couple of tablespoons of salsa and had that over a bed of Romaine with one ounce of shredded pepperjack and some light sour cream on top. I would have added diced tomatoes and black olives but sadly, I don't have any around. Black beans would have been nice! Why didn't I think of adding those? I've got like, five cans in my pantry right now.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #693
Major LCF Poster!

lol I hear you about the black beans! We can't get them on our island usually, so last time I was on the neighboring island I went NUTS and bought about 20 cans of them. And then I started LC and haven't been able to eat them!! Hubby keeps eyeballing them and saying "Exactly WHY did we buy all these beans??" I really hope I can eat them!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Hey peanutte...did you see my post in the lobby about carb count for black beans? Can you comment? The info on the label make it seem like 1/4 cup would be 2.5 net carbs (or so), but all other places I see list the net carbs as around 6.5 for 1/4 cup...do you think the label is counting the "bean juice?"
Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #695
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: worthym
Stats: 272
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16, 2009
Thanks so much for your vivid illustration. It really clarified the phases for me. I'm in induction day 6; although since I have a significant amount of weight to lose, I'm thinking about staying in induction a little longer.
worthym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #696
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
glad you are feeling better. Who knew peanuts would fix a cold LOL

I want soup or chile when I have a head cold. I use pumpkin curry cream soup as it is induction friendly and a spice in curry is supposed to help weight loss too. the thickness of the pumpkin and fat iof the cream and butter coat my throat and make swallowing more fun.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:40 AM   #697

When I'm sick, I make a soup from chicken broth, a little coconut milk (like a half a cup for the whole batch), scallions, lots of minced garlic, a touch of curry and hot chile, fresh-squeezed lime juice, and I finish it off with a generous sprinkling of fresh cilantro.

Another Friday, another 1.4 pounds gone. Yay!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #698
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
Just reading that cleared my sinuses out. This thread makes me so hungry sometimes.

Down 1.8 pounds since Monday, despite increasing carbs this week. I am feeling good about this decision so far.

Hi Worthym!

Happy Friday everyone!
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #699

Hi, worthy! Which vivid illustration were you referring to? If you decide to stay in Induction for longer than 2 weeks, that's okay. You can also choose to continue keeping your carbs low while moving up the ladder and trying different foods in the order specified by the book. Just swap those five grams out for something else.

1.8 pounds since Monday! Oh, that's so great, Rachel! May I ask what kinds of carbs you introduced this week and what your current level is?

Hey, I got an email with the menu for my sister's wedding, so now I can have a better idea of what I'm up against.

The appetizers all involve some kind of meat or salmon served on a crostini. I can simply eat the stuff off the top and ditch the crostini.

There are three starters: a salad with honey vinaigrette and candied hazelnuts, a risotto and a ravioli. I asked my sis if the caterers would be willing to make one plain salad with just olive oil vinaigrette and no candied nuts. If that's too fussy a request, I told her don't worry about it. Listen to this, though: "Fresh mint & garden pea risotto with marscapone cheese...Wild mushroom ravioli with leeks, pecans, cranberries in a sage brown butter cream..." Lord have mercy, it's going to kill me to pass up that ravioli...well, no, it won't kill me, but I must admit, fancy ravioli is one of my favorite things.

If I make it past that hurdle, the main course is a cinch. I can have pan-roasted salmon in buerre blanc or chicken stuffed with proscuitto and provolone. Actually, I want BOTH, ha ha.

I don't care about the mini-cheesecakes they're having for dessert. That doesn't faze me.

So I think I can bring Babybel cheese, almonds, and some of those hot sausage sticks I've mentioned before. I will have them in my purse so I can eat something right before the food starts being served. That way I won't feel like I'm being tortured.

Last edited by peanutte; 05-22-2009 at 06:21 AM..
Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #700
Senior LCF Member

That sounds SO GOOD. Especially the stuffed chicken, I just ate lunch and I'm still drooling over that.

Thank you! I am up to 25 grams/daily, and I added in whole milk on Monday. I'm going to stay on this level for two weeks and see if I have a good idea of how it affects me - then, on to nuts I guess.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #701
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats to all the losers. wow Peanutte isn't that a big loss for you?

You know you could take the ravioli apart and leave the pasta part on your plate. I used to do that as a kid cause I liked the inside stuff but not the al dente pasta. People would say don't play with your food or hurry up and finish your ravioli. I'd always say I'm finished, see it is empty as I forked up the empty pasta for all to see.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #702

Hey, now there's a thought! I want to taste the mushroom filling and the sauce. Thanks for the tip!

It is a big loss--thanks, 2big--and I think I'm at about 25% down from my starting total body weight right now.

[edit] Oh, and my sister says she wants them to do a different salad anyway because she doesn't care for sweet dressings or candied nuts.

Last edited by peanutte; 05-22-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Old 05-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #703
Major LCF Poster!

*climbing back on the wagon*

Drats. I won't say that I completely fell off the wagon and that it ran over me, but I did slip quite a bit this weekend. We went to the next island over, and I unbelievably made it through 2 days of pizza and fries and rice and ice cream with no problems. I even just ate the cheese off the pizza AND I didn't drink with everyone else.

Then we went to this new bar/restaurant that a friend of a friend opened and normally they bring out these little fried croquete things which I had passed up the past two nights we'd been there...but THAT night he brought us out a special treat he made just for us - bruchetta (cape verdean style). It was only two small pieces, and at first I thought Oh I'll just eat the topping, but then he was watching us eat it and I felt I personally was unable to say Sorry I don't eat bread to someone who would never understand the concept, so I ate it. He also ordered us a round of caiparihnas on the house and I drank that, though I tried to avoid the sugar on the bottom.

All in all I think I did the best I could; I wasn't willing to make anything awkward for anyone and I don't think I totally blew anything but I wont' know til tomorrow. The good news is I'm not hungry today at all which means I probably didn't blow myself out of ketosis right? I'm actually pretty proud of how I did, even at that point, because afterwards he brought us more food (the dough balls that he always has out) and I almost thought "Ya know I could just eat these too since I"ve already eaten carbs" but I didn't go there and just remembered that the best time to make a U Turn and get back on track is IMMEDIATELY after eating something you shouldn't have!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #704
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats on practicing carb harm intervention and making the next bite back on plan.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #705

You know, Dove, it's a sliding scale, and honestly, in your situation, if you feel you did the best you could, then I am not going to pile on or make you feel bad about that.

You have an unusual set of circumstances and I think you are doing the best you can do in those circumstances.

I had a weird experience today going to Old Navy. I bought a pair of size 6 jeans and a women's Medium hoodie and I just felt really...weird!...because it was obvious from these clothes that I'm not fat anymore but my mind hasn't caught up to that yet.

I wore my new jeans and hoodie later when we went out, and I felt like it was so strange because I could see that I was looking pretty thin, but my mind couldn't grasp it.

I know this is neurotic, but can anyone relate?!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:21 AM   #706
Senior LCF Member

Interesting you should say that Peanutte - I went to Old Navy yesterday also... I walked out of the dressing room laughing because every shirt I grabbed to try on was two sizes too big.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #707
Major LCF Poster!

peanutte - I know how you feel, not now but when I originally lost a ton of weight . It was difficult to see myself as thin. Looking back I realize WOAH I was pretty hot lol.

Okay so I'm so frustrated. I'm supposed to go for a training on the main island in June. I figured that gave me a good amount of time to get myself settled, lose a bit more, find my CCL so I could be better prepared for the trip from home.

Come to find out I have to leave TOMORROW. They got the MONTh wrong. I just got back from a weekend where I felt that I wasn't completely on track (I know I relied too heavily on Atkins bars and peanuts but there weren't any other options so I make do, what can I do with limited resoruces and it's better than the alternative) and I'm up a few pounds and feel bloated, and I wasn't able to work out while there and now I'm leavin tomorrow til Monday going to a training where they won't have food available for me, where breakfast will be bread and fried bread. I'm planning ahead of course, a protein shake and atkins bar for breakfast, skip snacks and try to find stuff I can eat for lunch and dinner, even if it's beans. But I just feel like lcing here is so hard and frustrating.

Sorry I feel like I"m always venting but when you are trying to hard and really trying to commit to a way of life and real life intervenes it's a constant struggle.

Oh and since I just went away last weekend I have no money to travel lol. Dunno how I'm going to make it from my island all the way to Praia!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #708

That must be very frustrating, Dove. You're trying really hard, but like I said, you have difficult circumstances and it's not easy at all!

Vent away if you need to.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #709
Big Yapper!!!!

Dovelette just hang in there and do the best job you can. The world won't end cause you ate something high carb while trapped on that island. Just make sure you prepare yourself for it metally island food bad and can't wait to get home to good low carb food where I can be safe and on my eating plan and workout. Then you have a ready made cut in any carb binge that occurs while you are there and it will not continue once you get home.

Oh and does this mean you will be off line ofr that week too?

We must be cut from the same cloth Peanutte. I told y'all about turning around in the mall back in 2003 to see who that person I saw in the window reflection was wearing a hat just like mine. Turned out to be me. And when I had to buy some real clothes for my nephews christening was shocked when I walked out a size 10 after trying on clothes starting at size 26/27 and working my way down one size at a time cause I couldn't be that much smaller. My 20 min get an outfit trip turned into over an hour not cause I didn't like anything but cause everything was too big.

rls1321 congrats on that great job you are doing morphing your body as you work your atkins to become the healtheir smaller you.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #710

2big, I had the opposite experience-- momentarily not recognizing myself--when I was heavier. That was extremely depressing.

I'm going to try making chimichurri today! I saw it featured on a cooking show this weekend and decided it sounded ridiculously easy to make, but full of flavor. It's basically a puree of parsley, olive oil, a little vinegar, lots of garlic, and some optional spices. It's an Argentinian marinade or sauce that's traditionally used for beef, but I'm going to use it over chicken.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #711

Oh MAN...I just had some plain yogurt for the first time this year. I had a third of a cup with a couple of ounces of strawberries and it was fantastic. Unlike everybody else around here, I don't like the Fage (no, seriously, I really don't see what the big deal is about Fage! I just don't!), so I got Stonyfield Farms cream-top plain yogurt, which has 13 grams of carbohydrate per cup. SO GOOD.

I haven't been eating any fruit, not even berries, lately--so these strawberries tasted incredibly sweet and tart and all I have to say is, I love OWL.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #712
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not a huge fage fan though I do like straining yogurt and adding savory things like garlic and parm to it and spreading it on veggies.

Mmmm yogurt is so good! Glad you are enjoying it!! What made you check it out after all this time?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #713

I don't know, Dove--we were at the store yesterday and I was suddenly very interested in reading the yogurt containers and looking for one with a low enough carb count. I haven't even thought about it over the past few months, but it suddenly sounded so appealing to me.

Maybe it's a summer thing, too. I've always eaten plain full-fat yogurt with berries in the summertime, and I used to eat it with a low-sugar Bare Naked granola, too.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #714
Big Yapper!!!!

LOL we really are cut from the same cloth I'm a Stoneyfield fan too.

Hey Dovette you didn't say if you will be on or off line on the big island.

oh and if you have a gas oven you could make some jerky between now and tomorrow to help you find a protein source while you are there.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #715

Quote:
LOL we really are cut from the same cloth I'm a Stoneyfield fan too.
Great minds think alike!

It's got such a nice creamy texture. I don't really want my yogurt to be as thick as sour cream, like the Fage is.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #716
Major LCF Poster!

I'll be off line til Monday. Been thinking about jerky just didn't have time to make it unfortunately. next time though!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #717

Those two flax meal breads you made sounded good, though! (The ones you mentioned in the Main Lobby.)

Sometimes ****** pisses me off. I'm entering my recipe for chimichurri as a whole batch of about 10 Tablespoons, or about 4 fluid ounces. Anyway, I used 50 grams of garlic, which is about 8 cloves. If I enter it as 50 grams it tells me 15.4 net crabs and if I enter it as 8 cloves it tells me 7.4 net grams. Well, obviously I am going with 50 grams because it's more accurate, even though the carb count makes me cringe (but of course I will only be using about 2 T of it anyway). It's just so stupid for ****** to bother with stuff like "1 clove" of garlic when a clove could be tiny or big, depending! I mean, I'm pretty accurate with my weighing and measuring, but a lot of people probably aren't getting a realistic estimate on their daily carbs from ****** if they aren't using a scale and being picky about it.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #718
Big Yapper!!!!

yep on my ****** I have two totally different values for flax seeds depending on if I use seeds, flax or flax seeds.

Hey on that garlic just get out your DANDR 2002 page 86-87 and reread about Dr Atkins foods ratio section about that way high rating he gave garlic for the nutriants per carb value.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #719

Yeah, he says garlic is in a class all by itself! (I keep my book handy right here on my desk, ha ha!)
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #720
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Yeah, he says garlic is in a class all by itself! (I keep my book handy right here on my desk, ha ha!)
Garlic is so good for you in so many ways! And tasty.

I use it in cooking, but I take a garlic supplement too. It thins the blood, is good for the heart and boosts the immune system. Garlic rocks!
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote